HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf talks contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
  #201
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I would be willing to assume that the team would like to lock up their key players and not risk losing them to unrestricted free agency...agree that we can't assume much from the player's perspective though.
I love both players and hope they re sign. I would give dion 5.75 for 8 and Kessel 7 for 8. That being said if they don't re sign in the summer trade them right away. Never lose anyone for nothing.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
  #202
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I love both players and hope they re sign. I would give dion 5.75 for 8 and Kessel 7 for 8. That being said if they don't re sign in the summer trade them right away. Never lose anyone for nothing.
Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
  #203
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?


It would be interesting to know how many players that weren't moved at the deadline then left their teams as UFA's.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  #204
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It would be interesting to know how many players that weren't moved at the deadline then left their teams as UFA's.
Likely more than what some of these posters are trying to suggest.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
  #205
Alflives*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I love both players and hope they re sign. I would give dion 5.75 for 8 and Kessel 7 for 8. That being said if they don't re sign in the summer trade them right away. Never lose anyone for nothing.
What? Kessel is worth more to you than Phaneuf? Switch those numbers: Kessel gets no more than 5.75/cap, and Phaneuf is in the 7.5 to 8/cap range. Phaneuf is the most valuable player to the Leafs success now and going forward.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
  #206
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 14,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
What? Kessel is worth more to you than Phaneuf? Switch those numbers: Kessel gets no more than 5.75/cap, and Phaneuf is in the 7.5 to 8/cap range. Phaneuf is the most valuable player to the Leafs success now and going forward.
Kessel is already getting 5.4 and is looking for a solid raise.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
  #207
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
What? Kessel is worth more to you than Phaneuf? Switch those numbers: Kessel gets no more than 5.75/cap, and Phaneuf is in the 7.5 to 8/cap range. Phaneuf is the most valuable player to the Leafs success now and going forward.
I did not really get that either. Kessel offers one thing and that is goals and even that he is not really great at either. Phaneuf on the other hand plays with authority in both ends of the ice.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #208
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
I would give both kessel and Phaneuf 6-6.5mil retirement contracts. What is that now 8 years?

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #209
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I did not really get that either. Kessel offers one thing and that is goals and even that he is not really great at either. Phaneuf on the other hand plays with authority in both ends of the ice.
Very true, many players his age have put up multiple goal seasons as Kessel has, and Phil has also shown he can't pass the puck either.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
  #210
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post

It's not unheard of for players to re-sign before they hit Free agency.
It's the norm these days.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  #211
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I did not really get that either. Kessel offers one thing and that is goals and even that he is not really great at either. Phaneuf on the other hand plays with authority in both ends of the ice.
Kessels assists this season and last would suggest he offers more then goals.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
  #212
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,592
vCash: 500
I would be very surprised if Phanuef signed for more than Kessel.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
  #213
daner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I would be very surprised if Phanuef signed for more than Kessel.
Have to agree with this. Kessel is our best playe, therefore nobody should be paid more...makes too much sense.

daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
  #214
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daner View Post
Have to agree with this. Kessel is our best playe, therefore nobody should be paid more...makes too much sense.
On the current Team.

Hopefully in the near future a forward will be obtained that will be worth more than Kessel.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
  #215
Alflives*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I would be very surprised if Phanuef signed for more than Kessel.
If the Leafs do not pay Phaneuf what he is worth (which is more than any other player on their team - including Kessel) then there will 29 other teams chomping at the bit to sign him. He's the Leafs most important player, and should be paid accordingly. The rest of the players should all get less than him, to keep the internal salary structure of the team.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:02 PM
  #216
daner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Just litsening to Jeff Samit on the Fan 590 today he stated since Phaneuf has played well under Randy's system like a #1 d man, so he should be paid like one...So Phaneuf has played well for maybe half our games this year and that is reasoning to pay a man meega bucks????? Just WOW!!

This Jef Samit guy today was very short-sighted and thank god he aint our GM. I turned off the radio, couldn't listen to him any longer.

Anyone else hear some of this today on the Fan?


Last edited by daner: 02-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.
daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
  #217
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
If the Leafs do not pay Phaneuf what he is worth (which is more than any other player on their team - including Kessel) then there will 29 other teams chomping at the bit to sign him. He's the Leafs most important player, and should be paid accordingly. The rest of the players should all get less than him, to keep the internal salary structure of the team.
I have no doubt Phaneuf will be paid what he's worth.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:59 PM
  #218
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Pretty sure several guys have said Dion is good in the room and he's a good source of positive motivation. .
Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Just came across this video on the internet:



Anything jump out at you right away?

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.


Last edited by Bomber0104: 02-21-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:29 AM
  #219
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?
Sure some do. Teams looking to make deep runs might. Typically it is a mistake. It's a bad idea for the leafs to let Phil walk for nothing. If he wants to stay great. If not u need to get something for him. Look at Ottawa lost chara for nothing. The devils with praise. Etc.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:30 AM
  #220
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?
But just to be clear you think it is a good idea to lose a player for nothing.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:33 AM
  #221
will13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Just came across this video on the internet:



Anything jump out at you right away?

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.
Lol..

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:34 AM
  #222
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
What? Kessel is worth more to you than Phaneuf? Switch those numbers: Kessel gets no more than 5.75/cap, and Phaneuf is in the 7.5 to 8/cap range. Phaneuf is the most valuable player to the Leafs success now and going forward.
Dion will be 29 at the start of that contract. An 8 year deal would put him to 36. His last 2 to 3 years should be lower salary dropping the cap hit.

Phil would be 27 when his starts. He would be signed to 34. That's a big difference. Plus forwards get paid more and Phil is a better player

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:32 AM
  #223
Sproo
Registered User
 
Sproo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Just came across this video on the internet:



Anything jump out at you right away?

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.
Hey are you the same Bomber0104 in another thread preaching that people justify their opinions with rational thoughts? Doesn't seem like it.

Sproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:45 AM
  #224
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproo View Post
Hey are you the same Bomber0104 in another thread preaching that people justify their opinions with rational thoughts? Doesn't seem like it.
Buddy there is only ONE Bomber0104 !!!!!!!

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:48 AM
  #225
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?
because teams take a gamble that players will resign, and sometimes they need the players for a playoff run.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.