HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHI @ NYI post-game report

Old
02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
LotteryForLife*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
Doug Weight the coach I hope it's not the case. I want a real coach, not an ass kisser! Brent Thompson please!
Bridgeport has regressed all season. Brent Thompson is the wrong answer

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
The funny thing is, the direction of the conversation and posts in this GDT are as lost and clueless as the on-ice product.. I tried to go back a few pages to get a better grasp of what points are being made, but it just gets more confusing... The on-ice product is affecting our sanity... lol..

Here are some random thoughts from myself that may or may not make sense:

1) I think Cappy must go. If not tonight, after a loss tomorrow.. Cappy must go.. Weight is our future coach and let the future begin asap!!

2) For the second year in a row, Okposo starts the season out in invisible fashion. He had Tavares, who is arguably one of the top 3-5 scorers and leaders in this league, as his centerman to start the season, and still came out flat. We are getting to a point where we need to make an example out of someone, as well as improve the team. An Okposo trade would wake a few people up. The example would be, there is no room on the team for floaters that show little passion... Sitting Okposo would just decrease his trade value and put us in a position where everyone knows he is on the trade block. Therefore, try to trade him before sitting him.

3) Hold everyone accountable and play the people who deserve to play, regardless of salary. It was obvious to everyone other than Cappy and maybe management, that Cizikas was ready to be our fourth line centerman and an upgrade over Reasoner, many weeks ago, if not last year. It looks like Aucoin's magic scoring wand may be lost after the quick start. Play the players that show passion, confidence, and some consistency......

4) Get Nino, Nelson and Donovan warming up in the bullpen.

Just some random thoughts of where I would start after today's loss.
I understand the criticism on Okposo...I honestly do but I really fail to understand why people think it is his work ethic. I don't think the guy is a floater at all...I just don't think he's that talented. He is not very strong on the puck, only has a couple good stick handling moves. He is a good shooter he just doesn't put himself in good positions to get shots off or even get the puck. He seems to think he can be a grinder and do board work and then dish the puck but he's confused. He's not good enough to do that. I don't think Bailey is that good either but he at least knows what he does well and plays that kind of game. Even playing with JT if you don't put yourself in good position you don't get the puck and you can't score. Lastly, Okposo does still wear an A and I have to think that he's doing something in the lockerroom right that is boosting his stock. If some people would just accept that he is really not as good as we hoped he would turn out to be he will be a decent 20-25 goal scoring 3rd line if we ever have a deep team. I don't think will get much more than that back anyway by trading him unless he's included in a package. So I really think people need to accept that he is not going to be as talented as we hoped. That's what i've accepted with Bailey and I was not nearly as aggravated with him when he was playing as a third liner.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:24 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Four players that need to go ASAP

Andrew MacDonald
His puck skills and hands are just awful. Every shot he takes gets blocked and initiates a rush for the opposition

Frans Nielsen
No one does a better disappearing act when this team is at even strength. He's good at shootouts and breakaways. Big deal

Josh Bailey
Isles should have just kept trading down in 2008

Colin MacDonald
We already had one crappy MacDonald. Now we have two
OMG, this is so way off. You can tell you watch games hoping for stats...and don't pay attention to the nuances that win or lose games. The only one you nailed is Bailey, but nobody else is panning out that much better in the draft anyway. The whole reason our pp struggled this afternoon is because they took Nielsen off the first unit. He needs to go back to that first PP unit IMMEDIATELY!

Old
02-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Bridgeport has regressed all season. Brent Thompson is the wrong answer
Scott Pellerin is the head coach of Bridgeport.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
leaponover

Anybody else notice Streit was even? 7-0 loss and he was even....granted some were PP goals but at least you can't belly ache about his defense in this game.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
ekill08x

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
OMG, this is so way off. You can tell you watch games hoping for stats...and don't pay attention to the nuances that win or lose games. The only one you nailed is Bailey, but nobody else is panning out that much better in the draft anyway. The whole reason our pp struggled this afternoon is because they took Nielsen off the first unit. He needs to go back to that first PP unit IMMEDIATELY!
He nailed AMAC on the head too. AMAC has been out of this world atrocious. Hes been our worst defenseman by far. Guy needs to see the bench.

ekill08x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Islander Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Anybody else notice Streit was even? 7-0 loss and he was even....granted some were PP goals but at least you can't belly ache about his defense in this game.
Streit actually had a really good game today, probably the best player for us in fact... His last 2-3 games have been good, hope he can keep this up and get back slowly to his form

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:15 AM
DVon Du Nord

Quote:
Not sure what game you watch but A Mac stinks. My whole section today was screaming at him to get off the ice. You guys understand that we're in last place every year for a reason. Our team stinks. We have a handful of good players, one great player and a bunch of unskilled hacks like AMac, Bailey, Okposo, Nielsen, Colin McDonald and Joe Finley. It's time to turn the roster over
Ok so the D-man with one of the best +/- on the team the past couple of years needs to go. Got it. I understand we're not the best team on the ice, and A-Mac has had a rough start which is highlighted by a shortened season I might add, but he should stay and I'd love to have him as a 2nd pair D-man once he gets back into it.

As for the other guys, I can't stand Okposo. From what I saw he actually looked pretty good out there today though I'll give him that. Frans and Bailey have their "moments" and I sure wouldn't mind losing Bailey, but there's something about Nielsens backhand that I love lol. Sure it shouldn't be enough to keep a guy around, but just wanted to say that. I have nothing to say about McDonald or Finley beside I liked watching McDonald hitting guys in the AHL when I tuned in to Tigers games.

DVon Du Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Four players that need to go ASAP

Andrew MacDonald
His puck skills and hands are just awful. Every shot he takes gets blocked and initiates a rush for the opposition

Frans Nielsen
No one does a better disappearing act when this team is at even strength. He's good at shootouts and breakaways. Big deal

Josh Bailey
Isles should have just kept trading down in 2008

Colin MacDonald
We already had one crappy MacDonald. Now we have two
AMac is a much better player than he's showing. A defensive defenseman playing with a forward corps that 2/3 sucks every game has to be hurting game wise.

Frans is our best defensive forward and his passing has been solid for the most part. HE IS NOT A POINT MAN ON ANY POWER PLAY, but Cappy thinks he is. Viz ended that. Now he's just a superb third line center made to play second line center because there were no solid second line centers available on waivers this year. Maybe next year.

Bailey has been very solid and his game will improve in time after his long injury. He's looking like a very sturdy and dependable second line winger. Goals will come when he's not playing with feces like Okposo and whatnot. He's in position almost all game and getting good shots, just not many of them.

Colin MacDonald is a pest. His offense for a fourth line pest who can fight looks solid.

The whole team stinks collectively, but the four you singled out look like four you'd like when this mess gets fixed for what they bring each night, even in bad games. AMac, as someone else said, is a VERY solid second line defensive defenseman. Bailey, if we got a talented center for line 2, is a great accompaniment to a scorer as he brings solid D and can score. CMac with Martin is a good fit.

I'd be picking on Moulson. But even then, Moulson looks the past two games like he's trying to hit to avoid criticism from irate fans. Maybe pick on Streit.....for not being the guy we pretended he was (Norris guy} rather than accept he was a guy Montreal shifted t forward because he wasn't all that defensively for them.

But right now, we're complaining too much as if there was any expectation of being better with 1/5 of the team being picked up on waivers just days before the season started. DP is our backup. Finley and Hickey were a solution rather than a trade for someone ready.

I'm no optimist with this owner/"team", but the bright side is Snow is NOT using Nino, not using Donovan and not using Strome or anyone we're banking on in a compressed schedule short season we're not expected to do pi** in. So no stunted development or usual Wang theatrics.

Maybe pride sets in and Snow wages a TRADE (use Wikipedia or Websters if you must with that word} for a quality player to inject life. Who knows. I'd rather that or do nothing than try to rush another kid to doom like every other Wang era kid.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote