HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

"Off-side" or "Off-sides"

View Poll Results: Do you say "off-side" or "off-sides"? As in: "The play is off-side/off-sid
Off-side 88 80.00%
Off-sides 22 20.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
  #76
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Plenty of Canadians say it.......
Where?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
  #77
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Where?
Did not a single Canadian vote "Off-sides" in the poll?

And if you want, I could go searching some more and I'll bet I'll find a Canadian say it in every Canadian team's last GDT.

Challenge accepted. I lost.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-

Last edited by Kane One: 02-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  #78
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I've always said offsides out of habit, even though it's technically offside.

I do the same thing with the Stanley Cup Final. It's the Finals to me.

Takes too much effort to change it considering it's such a small detail.
Exactly for me too.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:46 PM
  #79
Smokey McCanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,922
vCash: 500
Answer depends on blood alcohol content.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
  #80
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Did not a single Canadian vote "Off-sides" in the poll?

And if you want, I could go searching some more and I'll bet I'll find a Canadian say it in every Canadian team's last GDT.

Challenge accepted.
1 guy who's location is listed in Canada who for all we know misclicked or grew up in El Paso Texas does not qualify as plenty.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #81
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
1 guy who's location is listed in Canada who for all we know misclicked or grew up in El Paso Texas does not qualify as plenty.
So then I guess you could also say that the person who put "Offsides" on the Ducks' jumbotron could have grew up in Canada. You could also say the same thing for the person who wrote that on USA Hockey's website.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  #82
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 1050
I've never heard someone say offside without the s. I must be deaf

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
  #83
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
So then I guess you could also say that the person who put "Offsides" on the Ducks' jumbotron could have grew up in Canada. You could also say the same thing for the person who wrote that on USA Hockey's website.
Not having much luck in your search?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:59 PM
  #84
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Not having much luck in your search?
Nope. But they didn't even say the word "offside."

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
  #85
Playerwinner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 701
vCash: 7431
Never heard of offsides, it also sounds stupid. The Leafs had so many offsides, The leafs were called for offside 6 times.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:02 PM
  #86
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,413
vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
It's 100% "off-side". Saying it any other way is WRONG.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:03 PM
  #87
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Nope. But they didn't even say the word "offside."
Look. Clearly it's Americans who say it by a overwhelmingly if not exclusive margin so it's extremely likely it originated in the states not sure why this upsets you.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:06 PM
  #88
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I did and I don't see how that means Americans started the word "offsides."
Just another example of how they've butchered the English language, should be obvious.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:06 PM
  #89
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Look. Clearly it's Americans who say it by a overwhelmingly if not exclusive margin so it's extremely likely it originated in the states not sure why this upsets you.
Americans watch basketball by an overwhelming margin over Canadians. Who invented basketball? What about football?

I'm not saying that Canadians started the word "offsides." I'm just saying that you make absolutely no sense and have no idea how to prove a theory you have. I don't mind if you think Americans started it. I do have a problem with you saying it like it's a fact.


Last edited by Kane One: 02-18-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:14 PM
  #90
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Americans watch basketball by an overwhelming margin over Canadians. Where did basketball originate from?

I'm not saying that Canadians started the word "offsides." I'm just saying that you make absolutely no sense and have no idea how to prove a theory you have. I don't mind if you think Americans started it. I do have a problem with you saying it like it's a fact.
Sports and linguistics aren't the best comparisons. I can't prove that newfies are the only ones who say "where ya to" when asking where someone is going but I've only heard a Newfie say it so I feel safe assuming that that particular phrase originated in Newfoundland.
Can I prove Americans were the first ones to call pop "Soda"? No but they say it so I assume they started it. You can't compare inventing a term to inventing a sport because its not comparable.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:19 PM
  #91
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Sports and linguistics aren't the best comparisons. I can't prove that newfies are the only ones who say "where ya to" when asking where someone is going but I've only heard a Newfie say it so I feel safe assuming that that particular phrase originated in Newfoundland.
Can I prove Americans were the first ones to call pop "Soda"? No but they say it so I assume they started it. You can't compare inventing a term to inventing a sport because its not comparable.
There are probably more Canadians saying "offsides" than Americans because more Canadians watch hockey. People I know don't say "offsides," and I'm American.

There are more murders in Chicago than anywhere else. Does that mean that murders never happened anywhere else? Was the first murder in Chicago?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
  #92
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
There are probably more Canadians saying "offsides" than Americans becore more Canadians watch hockey. People I know don't say "offsides," and I'm American.
No they're are definitely not more Canadians saying it. In fact I've never heard one in my life. Clearly lots of Americans say it. Not all, but lots. So unless you can come up with a better theory of where the term came from then I maintain it started in the states.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
  #93
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
There are probably more Canadians saying "offsides" than Americans because more Canadians watch hockey. People I know don't say "offsides," and I'm American.

There are more murders in Chicago than anywhere else. Does that mean that murders never happened anywhere else? Was the first murder in Chicago?
Your really grasping for straws with these unrelated, outrageous comparisons.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
  #94
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Your really grasping for straws with these unrelated, outrageous comparisons.
I'm just using your logic.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
  #95
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I'm just using your logic.
No your not. Your facts aren't even right. Chicago does not have more murders than anywhere else. An act and a term are not even remotely comparable. Murders have been happening as far back as history dates. People saying "offsides" when referring to one incident has not, in fact I only learned of it today.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:36 PM
  #96
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
No your not. Your facts aren't even right. Chicago does not have more murders than anywhere else. An act and a term are not even remotely comparable. Murders have been happening as far back as history dates. People saying "offsides" when referring to one incident has not, in fact I only learned of it today.
Well then change Chicago with whatever the city is. And please stop lying when you say that today was the first time you heard the word "offsides." And how far does the word "offsides" date back? If you aren't lying and saying that today is the first time you heard it, then I don't think you're qualified to answer.

Also, how can you be so sure if it originated in the US if you first heard it today? You must be using a ridiculously small sample size.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
  #97
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Well then change Chicago with whatever the city is. And please stop lying when you say that today was the first time you heard the word "offsides." And how far does the word "offsides" date back? If you aren't lying and saying that today is the first time you heard it, then I don't think you're qualified to answer.

Also, how can you be so sure if it originated in the US if you first heard it today? You must be using a ridiculously small sample size.
Do you have some better evidence or documentation to go off?

Are you more qualified to make an assumption than I am?

Do you have more tangible evidence disproving my hypothesis?

Answer this question.

Where do YOU think the term originated?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
  #98
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
I say both

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:17 PM
  #99
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Do you have some better evidence or documentation to go off?

Are you more qualified to make an assumption than I am?

Do you have more tangible evidence disproving my hypothesis?

Answer this question.

Where do YOU think the term originated?
1. Why will I need evidence to say anything? I'm not trying to prove any point or decide where it came from, so I shouldn't need evidence. You're the one who needs evidence.

2. No. I'm equally as unqualified to answer that question as you because none of us have the slightest clue, but you seem to think you do, which is odd since you never heard the word before today and apparently you already know where it came from.

3. Nope, because it's a hypothesis, not a conclusion. You seem to be confusing the two.

4. I answered it.

5. I have no idea. You tell me, and please provide evidence for once.


Last edited by Kane One: 02-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:22 PM
  #100
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
1. Why will I need evidence to say anything? I'm not trying to prove any point or decide where it came from, so I shouldn't need evidence. You're the one who needs evidence.

2. No. I'm equally as unqualified to answer that question as you because none of us have the slightest clue, but you seem to think you do, which is odd since you never heard the word before today and apparently already know where it came from.

3. Nope, because it's a hypothesis, not a conclusion. You seem to be confusing the two.

4. I answered it.

5. I have no idea.
Then what did you just spend all that time arguing with me for? I have come to the conclusion based on what ive learned today that the term likely originated in the United States of America. Why does that upset you?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.