HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

"Off-side" or "Off-sides"

View Poll Results: Do you say "off-side" or "off-sides"? As in: "The play is off-side/off-sid
Off-side 88 80.00%
Off-sides 22 20.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
  #101
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Then what did you just spend all that time arguing with me for? I have come to the conclusion based on what ive learned today that the term likely originated in the United States of America. Why does that upset you?
Because you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you know what the word "evidence" means? If you do, could you provide some?

I'm getting upset because we've spent hours going in circles.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
  #102
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Because you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you know what the word "evidence" means? If you do, could you provide some?

I'm getting upset because we've spent hours going in circles.
Do I need to break down my reasonings for believing this again? Really? If you choose to disagree why don't you just say that and move along? Your arguing for the sake of arguing. You even admitted yourself you have no opinion on the matter so why dispute mine?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
  #103
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Do I need to break down my reasonings for believing this again? Really? If you choose to disagree why don't you just say that and move along? Your arguing for the sake of arguing. You even admitted yourself you have no opinion on the matter so why dispute mine?
And you admitted that you never heard the word before today.

In your entire one day of learning this new word, you came to the conclusion that it comes from the US.

The reason I get upset and want to argue is because when something that is said by both Americans and Canadians here, Americans get blamed for it.

I'll end with that.

Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
  #104
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,108
vCash: 133
Bugs me. Same as anyone saying "So and so is in nets tonight"

Where are these extra "s" coming from?

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
  #105
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Bugs me. Same as anyone saying "So and so is in nets tonight"

Where are these extra "s" coming from?
Probably the US. We just throw that **** on every words.

Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:46 PM
  #106
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
And you admitted that you never heard the word before today.

In your entire one day of learning this new word, you came to the conclusion that it comes from the US.

I'll end with that.
Well being that there's two English speaking hockey countries, 1 i have lived in my entire life never hearing this word despite watching hockey my entire life, playing my entire life and experiencing hockey, engaging in hockey conversation in many different parts of the country. Meanwhile in my first day experiencing this word I come accross multiple Americans saying it and am told it is shown on a jumbo tron in an American teams building and am told, by an American, that it is an American term. Pardon me for making such an unreasonable assumption that it came from the U.S.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:52 PM
  #107
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Well being that there's two English speaking hockey countries, 1 i have lived in my entire life never hearing this word despite watching hockey my entire life, playing my entire life and experiencing hockey, engaging in hockey conversation in many different parts of the country. Meanwhile in my first day experiencing this word I come accross multiple Americans saying it and am told it is shown on a jumbo tron in an American teams building and am told, by an American, that it is an American term. Pardon me for making such an unreasonable assumption that it came from the U.S.
But you never heard a Canadian say it, while I have. Not only that, I've heard Canadian announcers say it. Pretty rarely, since I rarely hear anyone say it. An announcer saying it is just as bad as a team saying it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it's from Canadian origin.

There's plenty of countries it could have came from. Could it have come from an English-speaking country that plays soccer? Yes, that's just as possible.

Since I have no clue, I'm not going to pin it on another country and blame them for it when it may not come from there.

Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:58 PM
  #108
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
But you never heard a Canadian say it, while I have. Not only that, I've heard Canadian announcers say it. Pretty rarely, since I rarely hear anyone say it. An announcer saying it is just as bad as a team saying it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it's from Canadian origin.

There's plenty of countries it could have came from. Could it have come from an English-speaking country that plays soccer? Yes, that's just as possible.

Since I have no clue, I'm not going to pin it on another country and blame them for it when it may not come from there.
Show me a clip of a Canadian announcer saying it when referring to one incident. I don't believe that for a second.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
  #109
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
http://soccerfreeplay.blogspot.ca/20...sides.html?m=1


Here's an article about the origins of Americans using the term. Because the plural "offsides" is used frequently in American football they have taken on the habit of saying it in other sports.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
  #110
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
http://soccerfreeplay.blogspot.ca/20...sides.html?m=1


Here's an article about the origins of Americans using the term. Because the plural "offsides" is used frequently in American football they have taken on the habit of saying it in other sports.
That article never said that it originated in the US. All it says is that Americans say offsides, which is true. Some Americans say that.

Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:26 PM
  #111
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,277
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Bugs me. Same as anyone saying "So and so is in nets tonight"

Where are these extra "s" coming from?


I definitely count 2 different sides.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
  #112
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
That article never said that it originated in the US. All it says is that Americans say offsides, which is true. Some Americans say that.
Lol wow man. It also says following soccer around the world he realised no one else said it. Stay in denial though.

Here's another article about how American English frequently pluralises singular nouns.

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...singular-nouns

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:36 PM
  #113
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post


I definitely count 2 different sides.
You can only be off on one side.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:38 PM
  #114
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
I can't believe this is a big deal.
I can't believe anyone actually says off-sides. I've never heard that before until this thread.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
  #115
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
I honestly had no idea anybody would ever add the "s". I don't even understand why they would. It's pretty irrelevant but honestly if i ever heard anyone say it i'm sure i'd think it sounds pretty stupid.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
  #116
darglor
Registered User
 
darglor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 777
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Bugs me. Same as anyone saying "So and so is in nets tonight"

Where are these extra "s" coming from?
I don't say it, but that one doesn't bother me as much... If it eases your weary mind, you could technically tell yourself that he's in a different net during the second period.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.