HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps @ jets mar 21/13 8pm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 08:09 AM
  #1
capsfan528
Registered User
 
capsfan528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Caps @ jets mar 21/13 8pm

Lets Try this again. 1-0 in GDT so far.

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:13 AM
  #2
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtcapsfan View Post
Lets Try this again. 1-0 in GDT so far.
So why are you making one?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:03 AM
  #3
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
We need all great leadership of Brouwer and Laich to win this intense game against a division rival, probably they will combine for 4 goals again!

Btw 7th seed is now closer than the division lead

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
  #4
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,336
vCash: 50
Some of us see that the best prospect George can draft and develop from a tank job, and any players that he may acquire period, do not give us a greater chance to make the playoffs next year, over the red carpet rolled out for us one last time here in the SouthLeast.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Sarge phone in hand will lead George's charge next year against our old Patrick Division foes. I for one think exactly a year from now, our chances of making the playoffs will be more grim than right now, for George will still be the one pulling the strings.

Tank? Nope, South Least.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
  #5
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Sarge phone in hand will lead George's charge next year against our old Patrick Division foes. I for one think exactly a year from now, our chances of making the playoffs will be more grim than right now, for George will still be the one pulling the strings.

Tank? Nope, South Least.
I think you are spot on with that claim.

The competition next year will be much more difficult to play against.

Caps had the pleasure of getting an easy schedule this year with the requirement to play exactly ZERO Western teams.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
  #6
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Last trip to the Peg for this season.



Expecting that we do our part in keeping the Canes from making the playoffs. Let's give the Jets a twofer and take a lead in the tank race.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:55 AM
  #7
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,071
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Expecting that we do our part in keeping the Canes from making the playoffs. Let's give the Jets a twofer and take a lead in the tank race.
Florida's tank appears invincible. Everybody else is fighting for 29th.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:23 AM
  #8
Sly Jets Fan
Registered User
 
Sly Jets Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Last trip to the Peg for this season.



Expecting that we do our part in keeping the Canes from making the playoffs. Let's give the Jets a twofer and take a lead in the tank race.
Love that clip.

Sly Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
  #9
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Florida's tank appears invincible. Everybody else is fighting for 29th.
I think Tampa will make a strong push too as will Buffalo.

Tampa getting unhealthier (Malone/Lecavalier) while we just got Laich back and will soon have an up to speed Orlov and potentially Green as well.

Also the Caps are just a plain better team than their record indicates and realistically all we can hope for is a top 7/8 draft pick but not a top 3.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
  #10
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Florida's tank appears invincible. Everybody else is fighting for 29th.
Their win the other night on the road in Carolina filled me with some optimism that although they are bad, they may not be terribly bad.

Either way I'm just curious how Carolina will handle Semin if they don't make the playoffs.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
  #11
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Some of us see that the best prospect George can draft and develop from a tank job, and any players that he may acquire period, do not give us a greater chance to make the playoffs next year, over the red carpet rolled out for us one last time here in the SouthLeast.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Sarge phone in hand will lead George's charge next year against our old Patrick Division foes. I for one think exactly a year from now, our chances of making the playoffs will be more grim than right now, for George will still be the one pulling the strings.

Tank? Nope, South Least.
Tank, no. Sell, yes. I don't think trading Ribs and others at deadline means giving up on season. Look at OTT. They lost 3 of their superstars, and started playing BETTER. Chemistry, momentum, and team spirit are fickle things. They don't correlate w/ strength of roster on paper.

GMGM should be willing to trade Ribs, Green, Ovie, or anyone else whom another team might be willing to overpay for.

Well, i guess Ovie and his fat contract wouldnt be a typical deadline type deal, but still. We should always be on the lookout for the next Langway-Jarvis-Engblom-Locker deal.

Perhaps nostalgia is getting the better of me, but I preferred both Poile and Murray as team architects to GMGM. They seemed more confident and less CYA-y. Plus i never did like the way GMGM handled Belanger situation. It seemed an indicator of a core dickishness and sneakiness and not even in the service of making the team better.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
  #12
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,071
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
Tank, no. Sell, yes. I don't think trading Ribs and others at deadline means giving up on season. Look at OTT. They lost 3 of their superstars, and started playing BETTER. Chemistry, momentum, and team spirit are fickle things. They don't correlate w/ strength of roster on paper.

GMGM should be willing to trade Ribs, Green, Ovie, or anyone else whom another team might be willing to overpay for.

Well, i guess Ovie and his fat contract wouldnt be a typical deadline type deal, but still. We should always be on the lookout for the next Langway-Jarvis-Engblom-Locker deal.

Perhaps nostalgia is getting the better of me, but I preferred both Poile and Murray as team architects to GMGM. They seemed more confident and less CYA-y. Plus i never did like the way GMGM handled Belanger situation. It seemed an indicator of a core dickishness and sneakiness and not even in the service of making the team better.
We don't have much of a choice. They're trying and still tanking.

I would prefer almost anyone to McPhee at this point.

Fire George

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
  #13
AlexBrovechkin8
Registered User
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Used to feel this way about the Skins; if you're going to miss the play-offs, miss it big. Playing .500 hockey or there abouts and barely missing the play-offs is worst case scenario. Start winning, or tank hard.

I have a terrible feeling that we'll go on a streak the final 10 games that won't be enough to make the play-offs but will push us out of the top 3-4 draft picks.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
  #14
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Used to feel this way about the Skins; if you're going to miss the play-offs, miss it big. Playing .500 hockey or there abouts and barely missing the play-offs is worst case scenario. Start winning, or tank hard.

I have a terrible feeling that we'll go on a streak the final 10 games that won't be enough to make the play-offs but will push us out of the top 3-4 draft picks.

The problem with that attitide is it's essentially the same one that causes teams to pack it in too soon, whether in a game or throughout the season. If you're on the fence and wondering whether or not you should be tanking or trying to win, you're sunk, and you'll probably keep losing even if you could be winning. There is no clear line as to when you should "tank hard" as opposed to trying to win, short of being mathematically eliminated.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
  #15
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Some of us see that the best prospect George can draft and develop from a tank job, and any players that he may acquire period, do not give us a greater chance to make the playoffs next year, over the red carpet rolled out for us one last time here in the SouthLeast.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Sarge phone in hand will lead George's charge next year against our old Patrick Division foes. I for one think exactly a year from now, our chances of making the playoffs will be more grim than right now, for George will still be the one pulling the strings.

Tank? Nope, South Least.
Meh. That's a playoff run only Ted could love. Hopeless but with revenue.

Only the tank can force his hand and get George fired because only the tank will take ***** out of seats.

And you are 100% right that realignment will make life much harder for the Caps. That's a good thing. Even if Ted doesn't really care about winning, being competitive enough to draw fans on a nightly basis will require much more than it has the past few years, and that may be what's needed to motivate him.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  #16
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,358
vCash: 500
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 4m
Braden Holtby is first goalie off for #Caps and it looks like D Mike Green will return to lineup as well

Over/under one period before he gets hurt.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  #17
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 4m
Braden Holtby is first goalie off for #Caps and it looks like D Mike Green will return to lineup as well

Over/under one period before he gets hurt.
Under. Warm-ups are too hazardous, all that ice placed indiscriminately.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  #18
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 50
Because it's Winnipeg:

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:28 PM
  #19
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 50
And obviously:


Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
  #20
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Let's give the future Division champs a nice 4pt present

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
  #21
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Under. Warm-ups are too hazardous, all that ice placed indiscriminately.
This.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
  #22
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 4m
Braden Holtby is first goalie off for #Caps and it looks like D Mike Green will return to lineup as well

Over/under one period before he gets hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Under. Warm-ups are too hazardous, all that ice placed indiscriminately.
You guys are three years late to the party.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
  #23
capitalsrock
Registered User
 
capitalsrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Still want to tank even if we get all of our players back

capitalsrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
  #24
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 4m
Braden Holtby is first goalie off for #Caps and it looks like D Mike Green will return to lineup as well

Over/under one period before he gets hurt.
Serious mistake to put Green in. He had a noticable limp walking from what I read.

Sounds like Oates got a pleasant hint from GMGM to force Green back in to me...

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
  #25
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,071
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 4m
Braden Holtby is first goalie off for #Caps and it looks like D Mike Green will return to lineup as well

Over/under one period before he gets hurt.
Game-time Green is a game-time decision, according to the Caps beat reporters.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.