HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Tank or no Tank!

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 36 43.90%
Tank and re-tool 36 43.90%
Trade futures to right the ship 2 2.44%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

vCash: 500
Guess George is staying.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
MW6

I'd be really happy with Monahan as our first pick!

If Ribs is re-signed for 2-3 years it could give the Caps a pretty decent looking roster, at least in my dreams.

???-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Forsberg-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Fehr-Monahan-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-???
????-Carlson
Erskine-Orlov
Orlesky/Schilling

And this is where the "dream-part" comes in.

Johansson, Neuvirth, Kundratek for Bogosian

Green, Laich, Perreault, 2nd for Del Zotto, Gaborik

Fill in the blanks yourself

When Ribs becomes UFA next time Monahan steps in as 2C and when Gaborik's contract is up Kuznetsov will probably come over.

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

No chance Ribs take a 2-3 year deal as the top UFA C.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

You know what this team needs? A high-salaried, perennial under-performer on the wing that rarely stays healthy for a full season.

That's the ticket to the Cup. Bring all teh Gaboriks!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
ForzaItalia

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Anyone who doesn't believe in the Tank at this point is delirious...

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Ridley Simon

Ted needs to get a new GM. Now. Let the new GM have the deadline to make moves that cater to his style. Keep the players he wants, ship out the rest. That purge alone would create a top 5 (3?) pick, and set them up going into the off season.

However, Ted is a chicken ****. So he will give George a contract extension, give one to Ovechkin too as a means to "recommit ourselves to each other", and we will finish 10th or 11th, with a top 10 pick.

And my head will explode, and as I pick up the pieces, I will start to longing look at Anaheim and Boudreau, or San Jose....as I try to rid myself of 35years of Caps fandom angst (which of course wont work, I am stuck...my wife is continually asking me "why are you so loyal to these loser teams??(Caps, Redskins, Terps, Wizards, Orioles)"

Gee honey, because I am a moron?

Fire George

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 03-16-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fire George
Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:25 PM
msrulo

27th in the league could get us a top 5 pick, i'm excited.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

What's the marketing angle and how will this affect revenue? That's the question you need to ask yourself before you consider any "we oughtta" move. Because that's what Ted is going to have to consider.

IMO Ted has 2 main choices...either blame circumstances (lockout, new coach, injuries) or throw an employee under the bus. Oates hasn't had enough time to be seen as liable, and a 4th coach in 2 years will have people asking questions. So the guy to go will have to be GMGM. And that isn't going to happen, because it's more in line with past behavior to stand pat, keep the same GM, and blame circumstances.

Then GMGM will be given the green light to make a few moves, but "nothing crazy". We'll all be reassured that all is going according to plan, that all the moves are for the good of the team, all the dumpster diving is not a "tank", youth will be served, and that anyone not stepping back and taking a deep breath is acting irrationally and emotionally.

Stop me if you've heard this before...

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
discobob

we are freaking tied for the 2nd fewest points in the league...anyone pushing to salvage the season is out to lunch. This team is NOT GOOD and needs to bring more talent in the door....

Either negotiate an extension with Riberio in the next week or trade him for futures....

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Ovechkin

Ted's keeping Abe's legacy alive and well in D.C.

You can view this "legacy" anytime you're at the Verizon Center and you look up to the rafters and don't see championship banners.

Ovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:58 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin View Post
Ted's keeping Abe's legacy alive and well in D.C.

You can view this "legacy" anytime you're at the Verizon Center and you look up to the rafters and don't see championship banners.
Ah, but they do have one.

Washington Mystics, your attendance champions.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Koized

A top 9 of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Mackinnon/Drouin, Brouwer, Johansson, Laich, Ward would be quite solid. If those propects turn out as projected and Backstrom and Ovechkin even regain part of their past ability that would have to be one of the deepest top 9's in the league.

Last edited by Koized: 03-16-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
A top 9 of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Mackinnon/Drouin, Brouwer, Johansson, Laich, Ward would be quite solid. If those propects turn out as projected and Backstrom and Ovechkin even regain part of their past ability that would have to be one of the deepest top 9's in the league.
One would have to ice AHL level defense to keep that under the cap long-term though.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
With a defense that blows kisses at opposing forwards, and goalies that love cheese, of the swiss variety.

Good plan

Old
03-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
One would have to ice AHL level defense to keep that under the cap long-term though.
So you're saying we are set?

Old
03-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
I'd be really happy with Monahan as our first pick!

If Ribs is re-signed for 2-3 years it could give the Caps a pretty decent looking roster, at least in my dreams.

???-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Forsberg-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Fehr-Monahan-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-???
????-Carlson
Erskine-Orlov
Orlesky/Schilling

And this is where the "dream-part" comes in.

Johansson, Neuvirth, Kundratek for Bogosian

Green, Laich, Perreault, 2nd for Del Zotto, Gaborik

Fill in the blanks yourself

When Ribs becomes UFA next time Monahan steps in as 2C and when Gaborik's contract is up Kuznetsov will probably come over.
So the top UFA center signs a 2-3 year deal just because

We use our top pick to address our pressing need for a... better third line

Winnipeg gives up their top D for a pile of crap for no reason whatsoever

And we put the one defensively worse OFD than Carlson out there with Carlson, who we also get for a pile of crap with one of their best players coming back as well

sounds good bro

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
No, you replace Brouwer, Laich and Ward with cost effective players. And flush all the empty cap space. You'd be absolutely surprised how much cap space there is and how much of it is wasted in all sorts of ways. For example, the following team would have fallen under the cap (assuming Kostitsyn is a 3.25 market value signing).

Ovechkin Ribeiro Brouwer
Kostitsyn Backstrom Parenteau
Winnik JohnMitchell Ward
Hendricks McClement Beagle
Perreault Fehr

Suter Weber
Alzner Carlson
Erskine Roszival
Olesky

Holtby
Neuvirth

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:07 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
No, you replace Brouwer, Laich and Ward with cost effective players. And flush all the empty cap space. You'd be absolutely surprised how much cap space there is and how much of it is wasted in all sorts of ways. For example, the following team would have fallen under the cap (assuming Kostitsyn is a 3.25 market value signing).

Ovechkin Ribeiro Brouwer
Kostitsyn Backstrom Parenteau
Winnik JohnMitchell Ward
Hendricks McClement Beagle
Perreault Fehr

Suter Weber
Alzner Carlson
Erskine Roszival
Olesky

Holtby
Neuvirth
The 70 mil cap? Next season it is 64 again. Though it will be rising up again from there. Nut so do the player salaries.

I know Caps waste cap space on some players but I don't think one could be able to keep a core of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Mackinnon/Drouin with the likes of Brouwer and Laich thrown in without it significantly hurting D and G.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:12 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

If Ted can't buy off a weighted ping pong ball I question his abilities as true american patriotic businessman.

I still tend to doubt George sells. What is the math of us eeking out an 8th place say?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If Ted can't buy off a weighted ping pong ball I question his abilities as true american patriotic businessman.

I still tend to doubt George sells. What is the math of us eeking out an 8th place say?
7pts out. That...in and of itself....isnt a huge deal. Not easy, but not impossible. However Caps need to jump 6 teams to get it done.

That is the brutal part. 6 teams!

Old
03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
With a defense that blows kisses at opposing forwards, and goalies that love cheese, of the swiss variety.

Good plan
Holtby is a good young goalie. He has flaws in his game at this time but he is very young and goalies tend to take time to develop there games. His talent level is undeniable, he overplays his crease and has some consistency issues which are two things that time and development can solve. He has been left hung out to dry for most of the season and has basically had to steal games for this team to win. Goaltending shouldn't be an issue in a couple years.

The defense should develop over time. They have a very young core back there and people forget how long it usually takes defenseman to develop. I would love to see Green moved and a steady top 4 veteran defenseman added to go along with Alzner, Carlson, and Orlov.

Kuznetsov, Forsberg, and Mackinnon/Drouin will be on ELC for the first 3 years which will keep there salaries down. Based on production and there contracts expiring I could see the salaries for Brouwer, Laich, and Ward potentially going down. Add to the fact the cap will have gone up by then also.

I would personally consider moving Ovechkin and/or Green and work on building a different core. My biggest worry is that these two will rub off on the young prospects with there questionable work ethics.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
The 70 mil cap? Next season it is 64 again. Though it will be rising up again from there. Nut so do the player salaries.

I know Caps waste cap space on some players but I don't think one could be able to keep a core of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Mackinnon/Drouin with the likes of Brouwer and Laich thrown in without it significantly hurting D and G.
Not to mention, that team couldn't have been assembled, because Nashville would have matched for Weber, and we'd have had to beat Minnesota's offer for Suter. So there'd be about the same money (or more) spent on that top defensive pairing as there would be on Backstrom-Ovechkin.

It's nothing but a silly fantasy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
They'd need to go something like 15-6 to make it and that might not even do it. It's over.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
7pts out. That...in and of itself....isnt a huge deal. Not easy, but not impossible. However Caps need to jump 6 teams to get it done.

That is the brutal part. 6 teams!
I have the feeling the chance of an 8 seed and a 3 seed are not that different, however. 3 teams seems a lot easier than 6 and pays much better.

Sticking to my guns George won't sell, for it gives Ted reasons to fire him.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote