HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank or no Tank!

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 36 43.90%
Tank and re-tool 36 43.90%
Trade futures to right the ship 2 2.44%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
They'd need to go something like 15-6 to make it and that might not even do it. It's over.
Beninati said it repeatedly during the Carolina game, but in the East only the Rangers had more road games remaining.

The Caps are 4-8-1 on the road. It's been over for a while.

Might as well call up Schilling and Mitchell and see what they've got over an extended run.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:57 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
It is near unanimous that poster think George WILL sell Ribs?

With the presumed many division opponents remaining, a 3 seed remains at least mathematically possible. Be it one in a million, there is a chance. Gallant.. Gerard err George can close out the year not looking like a quitter.

Count me in on being prepared for no selling, and losing Ribs in free agency.

I dont even trust him to develop that kid you want us to take.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:09 PM
msrulo

I'm calling out Jim Mora if I see someone posting on this thread that we actually have a chance to make the playoffs....

"I just hope we win another game"

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:17 PM
The Consiglieri

I have to be honest, i cling to defeats. I don't want the team rallying it up for some half-hearted effort. I'm a firm believer that when you suck, you shouldn't be mediocre at sucking. You need to go whole hog. Nothing would piss me off more than a boulez like run from a top 3 slot, to a 8th-11th type finish. We need to be in the running for a top overall draft pick where the chances of screwing up narrow. Add in the fact that several people have reestimated the value of this draft and downgraded it. I think i've heard in two different places that this is one of those drafts where it's essential to either compete for the cup or suck out loud because the players from 12-45 are essentially of equal value, that the draft is basically about 10 great picks deep, with about 3-5 that have blue chipper status, a second tier of about 5-7, and then the bottom totally falls off.

That's what Im taking heart in. Everytime the team threatens to actually be mediocre the wheels fall off and they go back to sucking and the league as a whole has no pile up of garbage teams, instead the bad this year are merely no good, rather than horrible, so an 11-15 record, instead of slotting you at 9th-12th, has us slotted in at 2nd in a tie. Not bad at all.

It is nervewracking to see how compacted that tier is though:

1. 20 points
2. 23 points US
3. 23 points
4. 24 points
5. 24 points
6. 26 points
7. 26 points
8. 26 points
9. 27 points
10. 27 points
11. 27 points
12. 28 points
13. 28 points
14. 29 points

It is kinda scary how big a drop off you see in just increasing our point total by 4 or by 6. It's imperative that we keep sucking out loud. I have no issue with this, stock the farm so we can turn this ship around in a few years. There is no denying that the rudder blew off this fast moving ship two years ago and now we're screwed. If you're screwed you shouldn't be acting with half measures. Nothings more infuriating than the Leonsis/E.G. model.

The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It is near unanimous that poster think George WILL sell Ribs?

With the presumed many division opponents remaining, a 3 seed remains at least mathematically possible. Be it one in a million, there is a chance. Gallant.. Gerard err George can close out the year not looking like a quitter.

Count me in on being prepared for no selling, and losing Ribs in free agency.

If he holds onto him and Ribs walks, it should be the last action McPhail performs as a member of the Capitals Management team.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Agreed but it's kind of their only hope as they can't seem to fathom how to acquire much talent through other means. In the absence of a stable, capable developmental environment at least add some hockey sense and skill to make it less of an abomination on ice. They at least seem to have their priorities somewhat in order when drafting.

I don't think the bottom completely drops out in this draft class but it's not tremendous. My sense is tiers from 1-7, 8-15, 15-23ish and then a group that could go in the late first to middle of the second. Much can change based on end of season performance and it's always pretty unpredictable when it comes to org. preferences and at times need. That 23-45ish group offers some decent upside, though, particularly when it comes to mobile D.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:31 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Like in American football, down a score late, the opponent on your goal line, just milking the clock, teams still do not consider letting the guy score, so they can at least get the ball back before the game ends. Many can think letting them score is the right thing to do but those in the game do not do it. I have seen it maybe once in my life. A super bowl IIRC.

George is in the game and he will stand firm.

Our division it so facking weak and everyone knows it, despite everyones tankicitis. We are 8 points out of a 3 seed and you can spin it any way you want but its only 8 points. Its not the last week of the season, and I don't give a rats ass if all our games are on the road. 8 points is 8 points. Your best math still = 8 points.

He is not giving up before the deadline, if ever.

George sells George is afraid to take calls from Ted. Book it. He will defer judgement day to when he says the prices were just too high on Ribs. And Ribs will get paid top dollar.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
breakawaygoal

Quote:
We are 8 points out of a 3 seed and you can spin it any way you want but its only 8 points. Its not the last week of the season, and I don't give a rats ass if all our games are on the road. 8 points is 8 points. Your best math still = 8 points.
It's not just 8 points. We have to be 8 points better than Carolina while also being better than Winnipeg and Tampa Bay..... Carolina and Winnipeg are not going to go pointless the rest of the season...

breakawaygoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Langway
Intangibles

George only sells if he has the approval to do so you'd think. They could stand to dish guys other than Ribeiro but they could conceivably move Ribeiro only. Johansson is currently 2C and they could slot Laich into 3C and hope no one notices. The PP has gone dormant anyway.

If they can't find a contract structure that works with Ribeiro they have to get assets for him. There's no need to do what Dallas did with Brad Richards and not move him out of some desperate hope to make the playoffs. They've been there recently and consistently enough not to be stupid about how they approach it...or so I would hope.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:55 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

No actually, BAG it is just 8 points. Points decide the race.

I can't believe I actually cracked and looked at the standings. Me checking the standings before April is a rare event, let me tell you.

And sure enough we are only ****ing 8 points out. We have ****ing 6 weeks to go. Its why I don't look, they mean nothing to me. Its named the Southleast for a reason.

Hate to part the clouds on your rainout, George isn't selling. He would be neglect in his duties in what may be the easiest way into the playoffs for the next several years, if not 5, or maybe even a decade.

Agreed Langer, he wont sell without the green light first.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:56 PM
breakawaygoal

One would imagine that Ted has to be more concerned with making the playoffs in the future than making them this season? Our division for at least the next 2 seasons is going to make qualifying for the playoffs difficult since at least 6 of the 7 other teams could be playoff contenders next season. Keeping Ribeiro until July instead of getting assets for him (and helping ensure a top pick along the way) doesn't help us at all.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Yay, Tampa won. Back in the on deck draft slot.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:43 AM
sjci

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Yay, Tampa won. Back in the on deck draft slot.
Not once you beat the Sabres tomorrow

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:48 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
Not once you beat the Sabres tomorrow
You bite your tongue.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:55 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

"We have no rebuttal. That was perfect."

Frank the Tank!!!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Is it tanking if we are just really bad?

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Atlas

The source of our NHL happiness will have to begin in Ted's small mind. How turrible is that?

George is merely the NHL equivalent of a used car salesman.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:07 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Tanking is a product of recognition of a failed season and selling off.

I almost see tanking as self defeating because after 15 years of George's failures, I see no reason to think this year will lead to significant change, and worse, selling the wrong players. You know the excuses for this year. Oates's confusing system, Laich's injury, Green's. Bad breaks, shortened season.

Prepare that it will be him at the helm of the great retool you think he can muster. Add an old vet G, or D, or another reclamation project W.

Sure he can't screw up a BPA / lottery pick, that is until he comes to DC and is forced into a position change, is outcast for some reason, stuck behind Sarge and his development, doesn't have a supporting cast, gaping holes in the lineup, no protection, horrid goalie play, poor mentors, Verizon Ice, paired with Sarge, etc.

Is it too early to hope for a tank next season? Even if we are in last place I think we may have a better chance of making the playoffs this year, than next.

Slammed for Sam Reinhart

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Atlas

Quote:

Is it too early to hope for a tank next season? Even if we are in last place I think we may have a better chance of making the playoffs this year, than next.

Haha!

That really puts things into perspective, doesn't it? To hope for the multi-year game of tanks? I definitely do want to see the Caps finish dead last in the NHL this year because that is the only possible escape I can see. But I realize too that there is no #1 overall draft pick that can make Ted think clearly.

I'm not sure even Captain James T. Kirk, Mr. Spock and Bones can get us out of this one.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Atlas

My guess is that there are some youngish Caps fans here on the HF Boards. Let me give you youngin's some advice: start complaining loudly right now if you ever want to see your Caps win. Let me give you a list off the top of my head of the Caps disappointments from the past. This is to emphasize how difficult it is to win in the NHL and to incite a fan revolution because the current regime ain't gettin' it done. I want to win a bloody Cup or two before I pass away:

Where to begin?

Bobby Carpenter. He had some good seasons but didn't meet expectations.
Jeff Greenlaw. A good guy but he couldn't quite get it done at the NHL level.
Reggie Savage.
John Slaney.
Pat Peake. An excellent hockey player. He would've been a 35g 1st liner for us if he wasn't getting hurt all the time. It breaks my heart that his career was so short. He may have been an all-star or even a perennial all-star.
Jason Allison. I suppose he was mishandled by Poile and Co. He was a magician at creating offensive chances. But I didn't like his attitude. He was so damn slow, too. He had some great seasons elsewhere but was never a heart and soul guy. We got Oates in a trade for him, Jim Carey (another disappointment) and Anson Carter.
Now things get really ugly...
Trevor Halverson
Nolan Baumgartner
Alexander Kharlamov
Mikka Elomo
Brad Church
Alexandre Volchkov
Yogi Svejkovsky
Jan Bulis
Nick Boynton
Kris Beech

We also had to experience the loss of Scott *** Stevens.

Ugh...I'll stop there but 2000-2012 has plenty of drafting and development gaffes. You whippersnappers will have seen some of those for yourselves. If winning the Stanley Cup is merely a crap shoot then why do we watch? Do we watch people stand around and flip coins? Surely we don't really believe that the decisions the management makes has no bearing on our team. No one seriously believes that with the possible exception of Ted.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Robert Theodorson

People who are looking for a short term solution are doomed to repeat past failures.

The team needs new ownership and management, and since you can't fire the owner, we DESPERATELY need a new GM.

Having said that, Ribs has been great, but he is worth his weight in gold to a contender, he needs to go, but only for the right price.

Hendricks needs to be resigned for his shootout abilities and since he is the only guy willing to drop the gloves who isn't a goon.

Sell high on Fehr, it's nice he's having a decent season but he can regress easily next year and you'll be stuck with an unwanted contract.

Wolski and Poti are worth a 6th/7th rounder if that, there's no point in keeping them.

It pains me to say it, but trade Neuvy in the offseason. He's always been my favorite of our young 3 goalies (including Varly) but Holtby needs to know he is #1 for sure. Sign a backup goalie and let Holtby prove he can play 60-70 games.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

im down for keeping ribs, but if he wants to test the market this summer he has to be traded no questions about it.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Koized

Just looked at the standings and seen where the Avalanche are this year. That is where they should have been last year. Happy with Forsberg but adding one of Yakupov, Galchenyuk, or Murray would have been amazing.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:07 AM
g00n
abides

Outscored 19-7 in the last 5 games, and 17-4 in the last 4 losses.

Who says we aren't already tanking? Who says we NEED to?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
breakawaygoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
Just looked at the standings and seen where the Avalanche are this year. That is where they should have been last year. Happy with Forsberg but adding one of Yakupov, Galchenyuk, or Murray would have been amazing.
Forsberg was one of the top ranked players in the draft (#1 Euro Skater for the CSS final rankings, #2 skater for the ISS final rankings) so I'd say that we just got really, really lucky –*he could have easily been a top-5 pick.