HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank or no Tank!

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 36 43.90%
Tank and re-tool 36 43.90%
Trade futures to right the ship 2 2.44%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 08:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
or maybe they're just realist. theres no way GMGM is gonna build a cup winning team without tanking he's just not good enough
What makes you think he's good enough WITH tanking?

In almost 15 years he's only managed to build a roster of players who so far don't know how to be a successful team when it counts. I'm not holding my breath.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
You're kidding, right? He doesn't crash the net. He floats around it sometimes screening the goalie but generally being pushed off. Ovechkin hits people harder in his sleep than Laich does "finishing checks". He has absolutely no intimidating physical game, which is kind of a big deal when you're supposed to be a physical utility player.

Pretty much every player on the roster backchecks hard. There have been times Ovechkin backchecked harder than anybody. There have been times Laich floated on goals (one of New York's goals from game 1 last year comes to mind).

Better captain material - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Alzner, Brouwer, Carlson at the least.

He is the penultimate hockey leech. But because he talks smooth all the puckbunnies fall for it. If anything him constantly sucking up alienates the players who actually carry the load.
No, thats not what I said! I asked if that was reasons why he weasn't captain material. Then I stated that being a C it doesn't put you in position to do those things as often, and if you do it as a C you might get burned and end up out of position which last year was one of his most important tasks on that shutdown-line.

But that's fine, you'll have your opinion and I'll have mine. I don't know what those players you suggested would be better than Laich has done to earn the C more then him though?

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Carlson is captain material? Final shred of credibility gone....

Old
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Halpysback

someone needs to learn what the word "better" means.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalscupfantasy View Post
carlson is captain material? Final shred of credibility gone....
qfght

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
you think you know more about ovechkin than his teamates who voted for him to be captain...
There was a player vote? You got a source for that? When OV was named C I was left with the perception he got it because he was the star of the team. That it was a decision made by managment.

Regardless, if he was voted in as C, things change. Perception changes. And the teams general attitude needs changing and I feel a change of leadership on the team is the way to do it.

*edit*

There wasn't a player vote:

ARLINGTON, Va. – Washington Capitals left wing Alex Ovechkin took the ice for tonight’s game against the Montreal Canadiens wearing the captain’s ‘C’ on his sweater, introducing him to the Verizon Center fans as the 14th captain in club history. Vice president and general manager George McPhee and head coach Bruce Boudreau made the selection and Boudreau informed his team of the decision this morning.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=512469

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
What makes you think he's good enough WITH tanking?

In almost 15 years he's only managed to build a roster of players who so far don't know how to be a successful team when it counts. I'm not holding my breath.
we got close from 08-11. if GMGM could rebuild teams of those capabilities ill be happy

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Some more on when OV was named C that I find interesting:

"It will be totally different," Coach Bruce Boudreau said when asked to compare Clark's leadership style to Ovechkin's. "Clark was an organizer. His wife took care of the [players'] wives. If there was a problem, Clark took care of the room of everything else."

"Ovie," Boudreau added with emphasis, "is taking care of the ice. That's what Ovie is going to do."

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...ungest-captain

The underlined bit caught my attention and confirms my belief in OV stepping down from the C at this point. The Caps need a leader that takes care of everything right now. On the ice and in the "room".

Old
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
There was a player vote? You got a source for that? When OV was named C I was left with the perception he got it because he was the star of the team. That it was a decision made by managment.

Regardless, if he was voted in as C, things change. Perception changes. And the teams general attitude needs changing and I feel a change of leadership on the team is the way to do it.

*edit*

There wasn't a player vote:

ARLINGTON, Va. – Washington Capitals left wing Alex Ovechkin took the ice for tonight’s game against the Montreal Canadiens wearing the captain’s ‘C’ on his sweater, introducing him to the Verizon Center fans as the 14th captain in club history. Vice president and general manager George McPhee and head coach Bruce Boudreau made the selection and Boudreau informed his team of the decision this morning.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=512469
I remember a player vote being discussed too...

Old
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
um

Quote:

you overate a letter on the jersey, even if OV gets the C taken off of him the pressure will still be on him and people will still look to him to produce. a little letter on the jersey wont change any players personalities and it wont change the leadership of anyone, its mostly there to sell merchandize and talk to the refs.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
we got close from 08-11. if GMGM could rebuild teams of those capabilities ill be happy
Wow....how expectations have dropped. This is why Ownership doesn't make changes...fans are happy with a decent effort these days.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
you overate a letter on the jersey, even if OV gets the C taken off of him the pressure will still be on him and people will still look to him to produce. a little letter on the jersey wont change any players personalities and it wont change the leadership of anyone, its mostly there to sell merchandize and talk to the refs.
I disagree. Hockey is the only sport where the person wearing the C is talked about constantly. Singled out during games. What other sport puts the same emphasis on the guy wearing the C? The NFL in the last 5-10 years has started putting C's on players jersey's, but its a new thing.

The C means a lot in hockey. At least thats how I have understood things since I started following the sport. When the Stanley Cup is won the guy with the C holds it first. Past C's of note on any team are remembered and celebrated.

Once again, I am not an OV hater, I think trading him would be a huge mistake, but everyone on this board seems to have their own opinion on how to fix the Caps. Some want to tank. Some want to make small trades. Others want nothing to happen. I feel a change of leadership at this point is a way to right the ship.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
NewClearWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Wow....how expectations have dropped. This is why Ownership doesn't make changes...fans are happy with a decent effort these days.
Umm....you saw the team the Caps put on the ice during those years, right? We were on top of the NHL. Other teams feared us. We had some holes sure, but every team does. We were first in the conference twice in a row and won the President's trophy for christ's sake. A "decent effort" would be a middle of the road team that would squeak into the playoffs on occasion.

NewClearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
Umm....you saw the team the Caps put on the ice during those years, right? We were on top of the NHL. Other teams feared us. We had some holes sure, but every team does. We were first in the conference twice in a row and won the President's trophy for christ's sake. A "decent effort" would be a middle of the road team that would squeak into the playoffs on occasion.
I saw them repeatedly fail in the postseason, but yeah I'd take that regular season success today for sure.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
msrulo

I say no tank. It doesn't matter what draft pick you get when you draft well. Giroux went 22nd overall. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were also late picks. The caps need to learn to draft well (particularly in the late part of the draft) and try to make the playoffs every season.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
I disagree. Hockey is the only sport where the person wearing the C is talked about constantly. Singled out during games. What other sport puts the same emphasis on the guy wearing the C? The NFL in the last 5-10 years has started putting C's on players jersey's, but its a new thing.

The C means a lot in hockey. At least thats how I have understood things since I started following the sport. When the Stanley Cup is won the guy with the C holds it first. Past C's of note on any team are remembered and celebrated.

Once again, I am not an OV hater, I think trading him would be a huge mistake, but everyone on this board seems to have their own opinion on how to fix the Caps. Some want to tank. Some want to make small trades. Others want nothing to happen. I feel a change of leadership at this point is a way to right the ship.
When it comes to Ovi, the letter on the uniform changes nothing. The pressure on him stems from his contract and expectations of his point production. It's as simple as that. If Ovi scores at PPG+ and the team still loses, the blame will shift elsewhere.

Furthermore, loss of captaincy will not change anything about Ovi as a locker room presence. He is not the type of guy to defer to a new captain, if a new one is indeed selected. In fact, the only thing that will accomplish is divide the locker room.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
When it comes to Ovi, the letter on the uniform changes nothing. The pressure on him stems from his contract and expectations of his point production. It's as simple as that. If Ovi scores at PPG+ and the team still loses, the blame will shift elsewhere.

Furthermore, loss of captaincy will not change anything about Ovi as a locker room presence. He is not the type of guy to defer to a new captain, if a new one is indeed selected. In fact, the only thing that will accomplish is divide the locker room.
I agree with this.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:25 PM
um

Quote:

so what do you think is gonna change if we strip the C off OV?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
loss of captaincy will not change anything about Ovi as a locker room presence. He is not the type of guy to defer to a new captain, if a new one is indeed selected. In fact, the only thing that will accomplish is divide the locker room.
Loss of captaincy would be the nail in the coffin for Ovechkin. "C" is an image of a tremendous trust from the franchise and the team, and stripping it will show him that the Caps don't believe in him any more.

Quote:
I saw them repeatedly fail in the postseason
I understand that the team can't be called successful, but did any team even make the conference finals more than twice between the lockout? I think the Kings even made the entire playoffs twice...

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Loss of captaincy would be the nail in the coffin for Ovechkin. "C" is an image of a tremendous trust from the franchise and the team, and stripping it will show him that the Caps don't believe in him any more.
It didn't kill Marleau. He hit his career high in goals that season and the team went to the conference finals. The key is to do it in the offseason where it becomes a non-issue once the season gets going.

Quote:
I understand that the team can't be called successful, but did any team even make the conference finals more than twice between the lockout? I think the Kings even made the entire playoffs twice...
Detroit has lucked into it 3 times. 7 other teams have also lucked into it twice.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:29 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:

While I agree with your general sentiment, your final statement comes off as ignorant. Off the top of my head the following teams made to the Conference Finals twice between lockouts:
-Buffalo
-Anaheim
-Pittsburgh
-Detroit
-Chicago
-Carolina
-San Jose

7/30 teams.. Almost 25% of NHL teams.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:21 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Its funny how people think they know everything.

Some team gets a 50 point player at the TD and wins the cup and everyone lauds getting said player as genius and said GM is lauded as someone to emulate. Even though 4 other GMs did the same thing and it didn't work out.

Every fan base has the fans that think they know everything and what should be done. The fascination before the season even started was with the Flyers and blockbuster trades or pushing x acquisition as a dumpster dive, but praising other similar acquisitions as genius.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:27 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Its funny how people think they know everything.

Some team gets a 50 point player at the TD and wins the cup and everyone lauds getting said player as genius and said GM is lauded as someone to emulate. Even though 4 other GMs did the same thing and it didn't work out.

Every fan base has the fans that think they know everything and what should be done. The fascination before the season even started was with the Flyers and blockbuster trades or pushing x acquisition as a dumpster dive, but praising other similar acquisitions as genius.
That's ego for you

Old
02-21-2013, 04:06 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
That's ego for you
Yes, I know, its retarded.

Suggest acquiring Komarov, you are a retard. Suggest Hendricks go on the first line with Ovechkin and Ribeiro and take face offs, genius.

Fehr? Dumpster dive! Oh now hes good because of the chemistry. Ignore that. Ignore Komarovs chemistry with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

MoJo is of course bust, but every other team wants this bust in a package for their great player too of course.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:51 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:

I have said before removing the C from OV would be difficult, near impossible, that only aquiring someone OV truely respects could make it work. Fedorov is one.

Regardless, at this point, with calls to trade OV starting, it's an option I feel should be considered. I'd rather try removing the C from OV prior to a trade then simply shipping him out. It is possible taking the C from OV will do nothing to lessen his burden, but when a one time super star gets mired in a funk for no obvious reason, anything and everything should be considered.

Last edited by WetHog: 02-21-2013 at 07:42 AM.