HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL in Houston

Old
05-13-2012, 11:36 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
NHL in Houston

The other one was about 3 months old, and I wasn't sure it was young enough to be bumped. If not, sorry, just please merge these two.

We've got just about everything you need. The Aeros have been extremely successful for an AHL franchise, we've got a start of the art arena, we've got the fan base, and it's the 4th largest US market (the largest without an NHL team).

All we're really lacking is an owner in Houston. Is there someone else somewhere with the money to own a team that wouldn't be opposed to it being in Houston?

Obviously, I think expansion is the only way we'd get a team, and I wouldn't count on that for another 4-5 years. But I'm just curious as to why so many people choose Seattle over Houston.

Mod: Previous thread
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=923143

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-13-2012 at 12:53 PM.
LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:09 PM
aqib

vCash: 500
The reason Seattle is getting more attention is that they seem to be making more of a push to get a team (primarily to have more dates in a new arena than they would if they just got an NBA team). Houston hasn't really made a public attempt other than trying to buy the Oilers 15 years ago.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:52 PM
TwistedWrister90

the nhl in houston is a great idea. i'm surprised it hasn't been done already

seattle, houston, and portland need some nhl hockey IMO

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:52 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
The reason Seattle is getting more attention is that they seem to be making more of a push to get a team (primarily to have more dates in a new arena than they would if they just got an NBA team). Houston hasn't really made a public attempt other than trying to buy the Oilers 15 years ago.
Les Alexander made some public comments to the Houston Chronicle during the last Lockout

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/...on-1948221.php

Those statements are the most recent I've seen concerning Alexander and the NHL.

I think it's quite telling that his name has never come up in any of the post lockout soap operas (Pittsburgh, Nashville, Phoenix, etc).

Even when Mario visited Houston, it was on behest of the Houston politicos - AIUI, Alexander was not invloved.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Alexander has little to no interest in owning a team, which is why I mentioned someone who just wants to own a team and would be fine with them being located in Houston. I doubt there's someone in the city that would be willing to bring the NHL to Houston, but we have everything else.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Gonna be hard to attract an interested party when Alexander holds all the cards and has no interest in owning a team. It's like Paul Allen and Portland, except Allen did show interest once upon a time (when Mario Lemieux was awarded ownership of the Penguins instead of Allen he dropped out of the NHL picture entirely).

It's possible, and Houston does have everything else in place...but an owner is the most important aspect and there just isn't anyone. They've been way too quiet during these past few years for me to imagine someone just coming out of the blue all-of-a-sudden.

It may happen down the road, expansion over relocation, but I think there's other cities that'll top Houston just because of interest shown to this point. If the league does expand in a few years I fully expect it to be Quebec and Seattle.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
scotchex

Expansion to Houston does seem like an obvious move. And given that Houston is the energy capital of the US, and the increasing business connections between Houston and the energy regions of Canada like Calgary -- I'm surprised there aren't some rich Canadian energy sector guys who now live in Houston, or rich Texan energy guys who've picked up the hockey bug from their time in Alberta. Houston has energy sector people from all over the planet.

It's inevitable that the NHL will be in Houston. All those people, all that money, and all those Fortune 500 HQs is a giant magnet. I think many people don't realize what a business behemoth Houston has become.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:02 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Expansion to Houston does seem like an obvious move. And given that Houston is the energy capital of the US, and the increasing business connections between Houston and the energy regions of Canada like Calgary -- I'm surprised there aren't some rich Canadian energy sector guys who now live in Houston, or rich Texan energy guys who've picked up the hockey bug from their time in Alberta. Houston has energy sector people from all over the planet.

It's inevitable that the NHL will be in Houston. All those people, all that money, and all those Fortune 500 HQs is a giant magnet. I think many people don't realize what a business behemoth Houston has become.
I think Atlanta and Phoenix have shown that population levels and per capita GDP don't lead to a place being a hockey market.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
I think Atlanta and Phoenix have shown that population levels and per capita GDP don't lead to a place being a hockey market.
Except Houston has had a rich history of hockey with the Aeros. They've proven about as much as you can expect a market to prove w/o having a pro team there.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:04 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 381
I'm sure that the NHL would be damn happy to have a team in Houston, but, as you said, the lack of an willing ownership group right now is a massive barrier that's insurmountable at this point.

When someone actually does express interest though, I'm sure that Houston would jump to the top of the relocation/expansion wish list for the league just because of the massive size of that market.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
scotchex

Quote:
There are obvious differences between Houston and Atlanta or Phoenix. Houston is much bigger, much richer, with much greater corporate power. A few moments with google or wiki could have told you all that. Comparing Houston and Atlanta is just silly.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

If im being honest, Seattle or Portland would be a much more successful expansion to the NHL than Houston... although Houston is probably 3rd behind those 2.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:26 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Except Houston has had a rich history of hockey with the Aeros. They've proven about as much as you can expect a market to prove w/o having a pro team there.
*sigh*

Houston has had a PRO hockey team since 1994 (the IHL/AHL Aeros), and many other pro teams before then.

You mean they haven't had a MAJOR LEAGUE team.

(Just because it's not the NHL doesn't make it not professional -- minor leaguers make their living playing hockey, they are also professional.)

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Booom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
If im being honest, Seattle or Portland would be a much more successful expansion to the NHL than Houston... although Houston is probably 3rd behind those 2.
and you know that how? You have in depth knowledge of each city?

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
*sigh*

Houston has had a PRO hockey team since 1994 (the IHL/AHL Aeros), and many other pro teams before then.

(Just because it's not the NHL doesn't make it not professional -- minor leaguers make their living playing hockey, they are also professional.)
You really want to argue semantics instead of arguing the point?

Old
05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
I'm not arguing. I'm correcting. It's not just you, you just happened to be the latest person to make this mistake. We're in agreement -- Houston has a rich pro history that makes it a promising location for a major league franchise -- other than the unfortunate situation that the only prospective owner who would have the necessary revenue streams from the only viable venue doesn't appear to be interested.

But you are still wrong in your use of "pro" instead of "major league".

Old
05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
and you know that how? You have in depth knowledge of each city?
I live in 1 of the 3 and i have been to the other 2 multiple times ...

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I'm not arguing. I'm correcting. It's not just you, you just happened to be the latest person to make this mistake. We're in agreement -- Houston has a rich pro history that makes it a promising location for a major league franchise -- other than the unfortunate situation that the only prospective owner who would have the necessary revenue streams from the only viable venue doesn't appear to be interested.

But you are still wrong in your use of "pro" instead of "major league".
It is an unnecessary correction because all it did was detract from the point to deal with semantics.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
*sigh*

Quote:

Houston has reportedly been working behind the scenes for years. Wayne Alexander still wants to own a team. But he is still mad about Edmonton. He gave an interview a few years ago where he came just short of saying Bettman used him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Houston has reportedly been working behind the scenes for years. Wayne Alexander still wants to own a team. But he is still mad about Edmonton. He gave an interview a few years ago where he came just short of saying Bettman used him
Who is Wayne Alexander...?

Les Alexander is the only major guy here that could do it, and I don't remember him ever having interest in an NHL team.

I know about 15 years ago (when we got an AHL team) there was a great chance of the NHL coming here, and we actually had two interested owners. They ended up sabotaging each other, though, and killed any chances.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
It is an unnecessary correction because all it did was detract from the point to deal with semantics.
Fine, ignore it.

Everyone other than Pinkfloyd, you might learn something -- "pro" and "major league" are not the same thing. Mixing the two just makes it look like you aren't familiar with the business of the sport beyond the major league level.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:00 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Wayne Alexander is an actor who has had many bit parts over the years, including several appearances in different guest roles in the mid-90s sci-fi show "Babylon 5"... but that's neither here nor there

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0018795/

Old
05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
aqib

Quote:

Les Alexander is the only major guy here that could do it, and I don't remember him ever having interest in an NHL team.

I know about 15 years ago (when we got an AHL team) there was a great chance of the NHL coming here, and we actually had two interested owners. They ended up sabotaging each other, though, and killed any chances.
He did make an offer to buy and move the Edmonton Oilers until a local group came together to keep the team in Edmonton.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Fine, ignore it.

Everyone other than Pinkfloyd, you might learn something -- "pro" and "major league" are not the same thing. Mixing the two just makes it look like you aren't familiar with the business of the sport beyond the major league level.
This thread isn't about learning the difference grammatically between pro and major league. The fact you keep pushing that is showing that you're not here to discuss the topic. This thread is about the NHL in Houston and whether the statement was correct or not, nobody is going to not understand what is meant by it.

And making such a mistake doesn't make you look like anything you just said. A grammatical error doesn't equate to knowing or not knowing the business of the sport. That is just asinine.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:49 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Wayne Alexander is an actor who has had many bit parts over the years, including several appearances in different guest roles in the mid-90s sci-fi show "Babylon 5"... but that's neither here nor there

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0018795/
Wayne played some funky roles on the show and he reminded me of les--as an oiler fan--He still gets me annoyed

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote