HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#16 | New York Islanders vs. Ottawa Senators | Feb 19 | 7:30 PM | 1-3 L

Old
02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Ullstrom must have pissed off Cappy in the last week. First he's a scratch, then he gets no ice time for a couple games, and now he's a scratch again.
Ullstrom is one of the few who shows up to play EVERY night!! Okposo, Aucion, Boyes, and Moulson in that order need to take a seat. I have not been a Capuano must go type of guy, but he really is clueless...

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Tavaresfan91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Ullstrom is one of the few who shows up to play EVERY night!! Okposo, Aucion, Boyes, and Moulson in that order need to take a seat. I have not been a Capuano must go type of guy, but he really is clueless...
Moulson is top 10 in points....why all the hate? I know he hasn't been the best but he has been as expected

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:37 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Warrior View Post
Or it's just the fact that he's not playing well. With the exception of the penalty shot against NJ, he's really been invisible since his hot start. Factor in his poor defensive read against Buffalo and also the sudden lack of finishing his checks and it's easy to see why he is sitting.
Not sure what game you're watching. He got 7:40 of ice time in the Devils game, he had a couple of quality chances to score. How can he be visible if he's barely out there?

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Not sure what game you're watching. He got 7:40 of ice time in the Devils game, he had a couple of quality chances to score. How can he be visible if he's barely out there?
He also got 7:55 yesterday. Okposo got more ice time yesterday than Ullstrom's last two games combined yet we still don't see anything out of him.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
the isle revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Moulson is top 10 in points....why all the hate? I know he hasn't been the best but he has been as expected
He puts up the numbers but his transition and defense is so suspect that they sometimes don't balance each other out. He's such a 1-dimensional player on our top line. I don't mind it, but when paired with Boyes on the other wing our top line has so many holes.

I REALLY do not like our top line atm, regardless of success or failure on any given night.

(Nino would be perfect. )

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
19NYSports91

Quote:
He also got 7:55 yesterday. Okposo got more ice time yesterday than Ullstrom's last two games combined yet we still don't see anything out of him.
Also, Ullstrom been playing with Aucoin and McDonald mostly throughout the season. Okposo been playing with Tavares/Moulson and Nielsen/Grabner/Bailey. They should have moved up Ullstrom a long time ago, not play him less minutes.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
camper

Keep stirring marsh mellows , not sure what your making?

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by the isle revival View Post
He puts up the numbers but his transition and defense is so suspect that they sometimes don't balance each other out. He's such a 1-dimensional player on our top line. I don't mind it, but when paired with Boyes on the other wing our top line has so many holes.

I REALLY do not like our top line atm, regardless of success or failure on any given night.

(Nino would be perfect. )
Yeah I agree niño would be a way better option

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Over Reasoner of all people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
How the hell do you play Reasoner in place of Ullstrom!?!?!??!?!
Quote:
Ullstrom must have pissed off Cappy in the last week. First he's a scratch, then he gets no ice time for a couple games, and now he's a scratch again.
They're most likely show-casing Reasoner and a few other guys for a trade if rumors are to be believed.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
DeanCrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
They're most likely show-casing Reasoner and a few other guys for a trade if rumors are to be believed.
How do you showcase Reasoner ? We don't have Crosby and Malkin for him to play with.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
How do you showcase Reasoner ? We don't have Crosby and Malkin for him to play with.
Reasoner is a checking line center who's good at faceoffs, and a decent penalty killer, that's how you showcase him. Has absolutely nothing to do with being on any kind of scoring line.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
13th Floor

Everybody on this team needs a blank slate. Right now, it doesn't matter what the name on the back of your jersey says (including Tavares), doesn't matter what you've done up until today, where you were drafted, what your projection is, and what your contract is. If you don't hustle, play, and take accountability, sit your ass on the end of the bench or in the press box. That's the type of coach/management we need. That's what frustrates all of us in terms of comparing us to well run teams. It's why people boo DP, because of what he represents. He's only being played because of his relationship with management and the black eye management has to show if we decide to bury or buyout such a long and dumb contract. Instead we are in denial about it.

I feel like Ullstrom sits over Okposo because of what everything on paper says. Why do these players get multiple chances despite performance on the ice? Look at when we played the Rangers. Torts sat Richards for the 3rd period because he was laying an egg. Nobody is above a metaphoric ass-whooping. But not on our team.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Everybody on this team needs a blank slate. Right now, it doesn't matter what the name on the back of your jersey says (including Tavares), doesn't matter what you've done up until today, where you were drafted, what your projection is, and what your contract is. If you don't hustle, play, and take accountability, sit your ass on the end of the bench or in the press box. That's the type of coach/management we need. That's what frustrates all of us in terms of comparing us to well run teams. It's why people boo DP, because of what he represents. He's only being played because of his relationship with management and the black eye management has to show if we decide to bury or buyout such a long and dumb contract. Instead we are in denial about it.

I feel like Ullstrom sits over Okposo because of what everything on paper says. Why do these players get multiple chances despite performance on the ice? Look at when we played the Rangers. Torts sat Richards for the 3rd period because he was laying an egg. Nobody is above a metaphoric ass-whooping. But not on our team.
Stop C & P'ing from 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 threads, ok?

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
I just don't understand why it's written in stone that Matt Mouslon has to take every shift he ever takes with Tavares. JT makes people around him better. Moulson has a nack for finding dirty areas, defelcting pucks and scoring ugly goals. Just once I'd like to see them split up. If Moulson is still able to find those areas to score some dirty goals away from JT that would really help with secondary scoring. Put Mouslon with Frans and Boyes and try JT with Bailey and Grabner. Instead of complaing about how there's nothing he can do as far as lineup changes maybe Cappy should actually try to shake things up rather then just moving a guy up or down a line. Just radically remake the lines and see if something comes of it. I don't care if Martin and Aucoin are taking some shifts with JT, just throw some s*** against the wall and see if it sticks. And instead of sitting Ullstrom in the press box how about sending that loafing, coddled, soft, has to play 18mins a night Okposo up there for a while. And unlike last season they don't need to sit him down and explain to him that he's going to sit out but dont worry, you'll be back soon. Let him come to the rink and see he's not playing and earn his way back at practice. It's a "Country Club" in there!

The JT-MM pairing may be the only thing that works consistently well for this team. You want to break that up?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Wow did he really say that? That needs more press!!! The saddest yet truest thing of yesterday's post presser was Cappy saying, we basically have no options. This is the team. Wish he had Torts' balls who sits a guy like Brad Richards. Moulson, KO, and AMac need to have a message sent to them. If it was up to me I'd come out in the first period with these lines.

Bailey - JT - Ullstrom
Grabner - Nielsen - McDonald
Martin - Cizikas - Acouin
Moulson - Boyes - KO

Player should still have to earn ice time. I know its one game but 7-0 at home is an embarrassment.
Bailey? How did Bailey earn a right on the top line?

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Stop C & P'ing from 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 threads, ok?
Haha, I'm assuming that's just a joke that it has been the same crap every year?

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
I hope DP trolls the sens and HF and gets a shutout....that would be hilarious
Ottawa either scores 1 goal or 0 goals.

So you've got a 50/50 chance.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
JTROCKS

Quote:
So shouldn't Okposo be sitting too?
Only if its on a bus or a plane-

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
StrongIslanders90

wow the Sens on paper are such a different looking team with thier 2 best players...I like thier coach though he doesnt mak any excuses...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
JTROCKS

Quote:
Because hes lazy as all heck--- doesnt hit, and doesnt defend at all ---

Top 10 in pts--- hes playing on a line with one of the best players in the NHL--- I mean, JT has the 3rd most points of anyone in the league over the last 2 years, and they are the top PP line--- I would hope that he is able to get points-

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
19 in a row

I truly don't get the Ullstrom being out again thing as he looks to be one of the few positives but nothing I can do about it so just hoping for a win from this jekyll and hyde team. just do it.. I've been bashing hickey a bit, so I will go with Hickey's first goal of the year and a +2 on the night for him, game winner in a 3-2 win.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
DP is playing tonight? AWESOME!!

Everyone, do yourself a favor. When the puck is in the neutral zone or the Isles attack zone, watch as normal.

BUT--

When the play/puck is in the Isles defensive zone, watching nothing else other than DP. Watch his anticipation, reaction, super quick recoup time, and time out of the crease.

Play a drinking game -- every time DP shows himself as a non-capable NHL goalie, take a drink -- or whatever else ya got.

Enjoy every minute of this guy playing, b/c I doubt he'll be playing next year.

The score of the game? Irrelevant. It'll be a loss -- maybe well get a goal or two.

This isn't watching hockey.... its a sitcom
You are cruel.....NO HARD LIQUOR! Nobody should die for this team!

Add some color....every wincing smile up in the air after a screwup, go outside and moon your neighbors.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
okie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
The JT-MM pairing may be the only thing that works consistently well for this team. You want to break that up?
It's not that I feel they need to be broken up, it's that I'd like to see if Moulson can still find a way to score away from JT. Tavares is an amazing talent and he is going to find ways to score and help his linemates out who ever they are. One of our biggest issues is lack of secondary scoring. I'd just like to see a 3-5 game sample size where Moulson is on the 2nd line, and if he can still find ways to score goals it might help spread some production out. JT and Mouslon work very well together, stats alone will tell you that. Splitting them up could help bring more production to the 2nd line and in affect help take some pressure of JT. Nothing would be set in stone and if JT suddenly went cold and his line couldn't keeo up with him then you end the experiment and go back to whats proven. I just wonder about the unknown.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
Because hes lazy as all heck--- doesnt hit, and doesnt defend at all ---

Top 10 in pts--- hes playing on a line with one of the best players in the NHL--- I mean, JT has the 3rd most points of anyone in the league over the last 2 years, and they are the top PP line--- I would hope that he is able to get points-
You get a hard nosed no nonsense coach in and he's hitting. He checks now and then, but this organization has a romper room dynamic and it's what Wang likes. Mike Keenan behind the bench, Moulson's using his more than adequate size to hit and crash the net.

Maybe you can infer why the Kyle Okposo we first saw looks so different from the Scratch Scrotum or Chipotle Capuano coached Kyle Okposo's.

But we have one problem: Wang likes the dynamic. A lockerroom full of guys with lollipops playing patty cake. JUST SO LONG AS THEY ARE CHEAP!

Old
02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
It's not that I feel they need to be broken up, it's that I'd like to see if Moulson can still find a way to score away from JT. Tavares is an amazing talent and he is going to find ways to score and help his linemates out who ever they are. One of our biggest issues is lack of secondary scoring. I'd just like to see a 3-5 game sample size where Moulson is on the 2nd line, and if he can still find ways to score goals it might help spread some production out. JT and Mouslon work very well together, stats alone will tell you that. Splitting them up could help bring more production to the 2nd line and in affect help take some pressure of JT. Nothing would be set in stone and if JT suddenly went cold and his line couldn't keeo up with him then you end the experiment and go back to whats proven. I just wonder about the unknown.
No....it doesn't work like that. JT and Moulson FIT. Bailey and Okposo FIT. Franz and Grabner FIT.

You can't look at stat sheets and design lines to bring scoring. A shooter moved from a set up guy to play with a defensive two way guy does not increase scoring. Putting Moulson with Grabner does not increase scoring (except for the opponent}.

You need a tough worker with good defense with JT and MM. You need a sweet passer with Bailey. You need a pair of speedy wingers with Neilson and your fourth line has to be defensively sound and able to hit HARD. Boyes is as god as it gets for line 1. You can see Okposo should work, but is on a cigarette break.

Putting Moulson on any other line makes two lines worse. For what he brings, he's the best winger for that first line, just a maddeningly soft little princess.