HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#16 | New York Islanders vs. Ottawa Senators | Feb 19 | 7:30 PM | 1-3 L

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
  #101
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
I just hear a bunch of complaining in this thread. I'm going to sit back and just try to enjoy the game tonight. Hopefully it will be entertaining

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:42 PM
  #102
JTROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I just hear a bunch of complaining in this thread. I'm going to sit back and just try to enjoy the game tonight. Hopefully it will be entertaining
I will enjoy the game as well--- but ,its tough not to complain when we havent made the playoffs in a millenium, the team just lost at home 7-0, to a team that is not that good--- and we have a coach that shouldnt be running a JV team-

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
  #103
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
Capuano better be praying that this team comes out playing hard. This could be his last game if they don't.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  #104
the isle revival
Registered User
 
the isle revival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: Tibet
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
The hovering around .500 mark is eerily familiar. I'm contemplating buying some Dewar's Irish Whiskey to help me through this game.

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
  #105
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Capuano better be praying that this team comes out playing hard. This could be his last game if they don't.
I got a feeling in my gut that Cappy is canned sometime this week, and Weight is named interm coach.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
  #106
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,977
vCash: 234
Just in case anyone is interested there is an team sponsored Islanders fan meet up tonight in Westbury at TGIF:

Quote:
Hey Islanders fans! Wish you could continue to support your team while they’re on the road with other members of the Orange & Blue? You can! Join us for nights full of good food, great fans and the best of Islanders hockey at our TGI Friday’s viewing parties.

You’ll get a chance to meet and mingle with In-Game Host Dina, the Islanders Ice Girls and team legends such as Mike Bossy. What’s more, you can win BIG! Between whistles, the Islanders will raffle off special items like team-signed sticks, jerseys and other cool prizes!
Tweet from Dina:

Quote:
Come on down 2nite & say hi! It can't get worse than yesterday. Can it? #PleaseSayItCant Islanders Viewing Parties http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655850
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655850
https://twitter.com/DivaDinaT

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
  #107
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
I will enjoy the game as well--- but ,its tough not to complain when we havent made the playoffs in a millenium, the team just lost at home 7-0, to a team that is not that good--- and we have a coach that shouldnt be running a JV team-
Yeah I hear ya and I complain all the time about them, but I'm trying to cut back on that and hopefully we will see some good results tonight.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
  #108
Bones45
Registered User
 
Bones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Low Taxville
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I just hear a bunch of complaining in this thread. I'm going to sit back and just try to enjoy the game tonight. Hopefully it will be entertaining
Entertaining most definitely...

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  #109
JJmcD
The Power Of Love
 
JJmcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
I got a feeling in my gut that Cappy is canned sometime this week, and Weight is named interm coach.
And what happens if we play worse without Cappy? Cappy has been terrible, that's for sure. I would love for the Islanders to find a good NHL coach and stick with him, instead of changing coaches every other year.

Hoping for an exciting game tonight - let's not forget we are still in reach of a playoff spot!

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
  #110
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I just hear a bunch of complaining in this thread. I'm going to sit back and just try to enjoy the game tonight. Hopefully it will be entertaining
I'm with you buddy!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  #111
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
And what happens if we play worse without Cappy? Cappy has been terrible, that's for sure. I would love for the Islanders to find a good NHL coach and stick with him, instead of changing coaches every other year.

Hoping for an exciting game tonight - let's not forget we are still in reach of a playoff spot!
You give Doug the rest of the season, and don't remove the "interm" tag. If we play worse, we spend the offseason looking for a new coach. If we play better, we remove the "interm" tag.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  #112
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 986
vCash: 463
Sens are missing their 2 best skaters and have a couple other guys not playing tonight either.

If we lose......man......I don't know anymore.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  #113
JJmcD
The Power Of Love
 
JJmcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
You give Doug the rest of the season, and don't remove the "interm" tag. If we play worse, we spend the offseason looking for a new coach. If we play better, we remove the "interm" tag.
Sounds good. It has been increasingly clear this season that Cappy has no idea what he's doing, he's out of his league so-to-speak. Removing him can only help and would be nice if Weight turns out to be a great head coach. I'm skeptical for now, but all I ask is for a great coach. I know someone like Al Arbour is out of the question, but at least someone like Lindy Ruff who will be a quality coach for many years.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
  #114
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 102
If we lose bad or team is flat, then Cappy is gone after tonight...If somehow this happens and he doesn't get fired expect to see a call up or two / waiver or trade. I know all of this is very un NYI like to actually shake things up but I see it happening.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:53 PM
  #115
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
I can't stand Moulson. It's one thing if I thought he made an effort forechecking and playing defense.
The fact is he purposely avoids contact whenever possible and he doesn't play defense at all.
The key word here is purposely. I hate players that don't try or give 100%. We can complain all day about Okposo or Amac as of late, the fact is that they play harder then Moulson (with less results, obviously). You can't criticize Okposo and Amac, without including Moulson. There's no question, Moulson has good chemistry with JT, but JT deserves a wing that will chip in on the boards and not count on him doing all the work. I will say it for the 1000th time, focus more on Matty when his line is out. I know it's hard to take your eyes of JT (he pretty much carries the puck, shoots it in, gets the puck, battles along the boards for the puck, tries to defend the puck from leaving the zone...). How much more can JT take, before he breaks down. He needs help!!!
Just watch Matty away from the puck. Watch the puck go along the boards on his wing, watch Matty take a round about way to go after the puck, watch how coincidently, he's too late on the puck, watch him try his patented stick check that's also too late, since the defender has already passed him and is leaving the zone. It's not surprising that Matty never gets injured, he never hits anyone.

Now, imagine if Matty played hard along the boards, think of the increase in puck possession time for JT's line and how much more scoring they can do. Matty is a detriment, not an asset, he's hurting JT and the team, more then helping.

It's so frustrating to me, and I can't believe anyone can defend him. Matty isn't lazy, Matty is literally scared!!!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
  #116
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Sens are missing their 2 best skaters and have a couple other guys not playing tonight either.

If we lose......man......I don't know anymore.
All the Sens have to do, is come out and keep checking Tavares. Play physical against him. That's what the Flyers did, and it led to frustration on JT's part and he ended up in the penalty box. That's what happens when you're the only one playing hard.

You'll see very little puck possession time in the offensive zone if you do that. Don't expect Moulson and Boyes do to anything about it. Moulson and Boyes are completely castrated without JT.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
  #117
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I can't stand Moulson. It's one thing if I thought he made an effort forechecking and playing defense.
The fact is he purposely avoids contact whenever possible and he doesn't play defense at all.
The key word here is purposely. I hate players that don't try or give 100%. We can complain all day about Okposo or Amac as of late, the fact is that they play harder then Moulson (with less results, obviously). You can't criticize Okposo and Amac, without including Moulson. There's no question, Moulson has good chemistry with JT, but JT deserves a wing that will chip in on the boards and not count on him doing all the work. I will say it for the 1000th time, focus more on Matty when his line is out. I know it's hard to take your eyes of JT (he pretty much carries the puck, shoots it in, gets the puck, battles along the boards for the puck, tries to defend the puck from leaving the zone...). How much more can JT take, before he breaks down. He needs help!!!
Just watch Matty away from the puck. Watch the puck go along the boards on his wing, watch Matty take a round about way to go after the puck, watch how coincidently, he's too late on the puck, watch him try his patented stick check that's also too late, since the defender has already passed him and is leaving the zone. It's not surprising that Matty never gets injured, he never hits anyone.

Now, imagine if Matty played hard along the boards, think of the increase in puck possession time for JT's line and how much more scoring they can do. Matty is a detriment, not an asset, he's hurting JT and the team, more then helping.

It's so frustrating to me, and I can't believe anyone can defend him. Matty isn't lazy, Matty is literally scared!!!
THIS. Exactly how I feel. I met MM last week, seems like a nice guy so I wish him no harm but once this team is ready to make the PO in a year or two he needs off JTs line unless his play improves..I'd like to see it now but we won't get anyone to replace him so...for now he's what we have. When/ if he gets replaced you trade him if hes not already part of the trade for his replacement...his numbers are solid because of JT so MMs value is well above what he's actually worth so it's very beneficiary for us to trade him when that time comes rather the bump him down to another line ( as his stats will decrease dramatically and teams will see his real value... Then it's our loss).

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
  #118
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
THIS. Exactly how I feel. I met MM last week, seems like a nice guy so I wish him no harm but once this team is ready to make the PO in a year or two he needs off JTs line unless his play improves..I'd like to see it now but we won't get anyone to replace him so...for now he's what we have. When/ if he gets replaced you trade him if hes not already part of the trade for his replacement...his numbers are solid because of JT so MMs value is well above what he's actually worth so it's very beneficiary for us to trade him when that time comes rather the bump him down to another line ( as his stats will decrease dramatically and teams will see his real value... Then it's our loss).
Your response make prefect sense to me. It's just so hard for me watch him give such little effort, then see JT busting his ass out there. It drives me crazy.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
  #119
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
If we lose bad or team is flat, then Cappy is gone after tonight...If somehow this happens and he doesn't get fired expect to see a call up or two / waiver or trade. I know all of this is very un NYI like to actually shake things up but I see it happening.
So let me get this straight:

Isles have been an abortion under Fatuano for 3 seasons, but this is his last game if they lose?

Isles just lost 7-0 in front of a sold out home crowd while playing the worst hockey I've seen since the Stirling days. But he will be given tonight as his last night?

Capuano will be fired because he's forced to play the worst goalie in the league?

While Fappy is not a good coach, far from it, he's handcuffed. He didn't pick up four guys on waivers before the season started, and he definitely didn't choose to roll with this goaltending tandem.

Usually a GM is held responsible for these things, but here on Carnival Island, we all win. Even when we lose.

Always remember, "We aren't getting killed out there"

Capuano is here to stay whether we like it or not. And tonight is going to be a comical mess.

DP! DP!

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #120
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Your response make prefect sense to me. It's just so hard for me watch him give such little effort, then see JT busting his ass out there. It drives me crazy.
I hear ya man. MM has skill no doubt but he's only in the 1st line because of JT. If he played more physical he would create a lot more chances for that line. That's was KOs job and he failed miserably..but unlike MM, KO IMO needs to be off this team yesterday as now his value drops with every game. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake with MM.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #121
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
THIS. Exactly how I feel. I met MM last week, seems like a nice guy so I wish him no harm but once this team is ready to make the PO in a year or two he needs off JTs line unless his play improves..I'd like to see it now but we won't get anyone to replace him so...for now he's what we have. When/ if he gets replaced you trade him if hes not already part of the trade for his replacement...his numbers are solid because of JT so MMs value is well above what he's actually worth so it's very beneficiary for us to trade him when that time comes rather the bump him down to another line ( as his stats will decrease dramatically and teams will see his real value... Then it's our loss).
Agree with the bold completely. I have met him a few times and would love to root for this guy but won't be able to unless he steps up other parts of his game. The fact that he is a good guy and is so good at the garbage goals has made it so easy to overlook all the flaws in the past. However, now as we set our sites higher, and I watch him closely every game, I see his total game as a negative as a first liner and feel he is actually holding back JT (were they -3 yesterday? they are minus too often IMO).. people knocked Bossy's defense but he was not really that bad(Arbour would never let anyone be that bad), and is a Selke winner compared to Moulson. If the two line pass was reinstated Moulson would be lost as he looks to float as soon as we get the puck deep in our zone, maybe reinstating the two line would help him get back in his own zone and guard against turnovers at mid ice.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:20 PM
  #122
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
I have a feeling we are gonna win this. Everytime all the people on HF are flaming on how bad this team is, we come out and win and suddenly all the hate is gone...

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:20 PM
  #123
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
So let me get this straight:

Isles have been an abortion under Fatuano for 3 seasons, but this is his last game if they lose?

Isles just lost 7-0 in front of a sold out home crowd while playing the worst hockey I've seen since the Stirling days. But he will be given tonight as his last night?

Capuano will be fired because he's forced to play the worst goalie in the league?

While Fappy is not a good coach, far from it, he's handcuffed. He didn't pick up four guys on waivers before the season started, and he definitely didn't choose to roll with this goaltending tandem.

Usually a GM is held responsible for these things, but here on Carnival Island, we all win. Even when we lose.

Always remember, "We aren't getting killed out there"

Capuano is here to stay whether we like it or not. And tonight is going to be a comical mess.

DP! DP!
Sorry boss but I disagree, a blow out tonight or the team being flat again and Caps is gone...either it happens or players not named JT, Martin, Hamonic, Nielsen start mailing in the season. If a blow out happens or they come out flat its clear the players have ZERO respect for Cappy. I don't see how he can stay escp after his comment last night of "not much more can be done" hmm how about motivating your players(even though he shouldn't have to) all he did when he said that was come off as a man beat/defeated.

I get what your saying...it's been a long time coming but it has to happen some time and I believe that time is just about here.


Last edited by NYI JT91: 02-19-2013 at 04:25 PM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
  #124
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
If it's the 4th line tonight, I'll love seeing Grabner and Okposo being centered by Reasoner.

LOVE IT!

Those two have been passengers more times than not and MUST realize there'll be no scratching and no asking of them to pull down other players who may be perceived as giving what they can. These two have been watching and losing battles just about everywhere on the ice on a far too regular basis recently, especially along the boards. They MUST find a way to respond and do whatever is necessary to make sure that the skills and abilities they possess are turned into real, accountable, tangible contributions on a regular basis.

Let there be no doubt that unless BOTH are generating at upwards of a 0.5 point per game clip, this team goes no-where.

As for Ullstrom, I like him as much as everyone else, but some here seem to be seeing something that I'm not. He's been looking tired and displaced at times recently. Also, of the younger/newer guys, I don't think any of Cizikas, McDonald or Aucoin is doing less or putting in less of an effort than Ullstrom. Those are the boys he's competing for ice time with up front and I wouldn't sit any of them ahead of Ullstrom at the moment. He's definitely not competing with Nielsen, Okposo, Bailey, Martin and Grabner for ice time. They're another group and another pay grade.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
  #125
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I have a feeling we are gonna win this. Everytime all the people on HF are flaming on how bad this team is, we come out and win and suddenly all the hate is gone...
Hope you're right...

Speaking for a victory is Ottawa's woeful offense in the last nine games and their having played a tough road game yesterday.

Speaking against a victory is us having gotten destroyed in an AWFUL home game yesterday, the defensively sound Strait being lost to injury, and Dipi in goal.

Just dunno what to expect exactly, but you may be on target.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.