HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis says leafs still seeking a veteran goalie

Old
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
mix1home

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Maybe now that the Leafs appear to be a Cup contender, Luongo will accept a trade to Toronot, and Nonis is simply 'laying' some ground-work? Gardiner for Luongo would look pretty good right now. The Leafs wouldn't even have to give up a current roster player!
Up and coming premium PMD for aging goalie who has 2-3 maybe 4 good seasons in him on 10 years cap-hit punishing contract and who is melting in PO? Hell, no!
Can we put that to rest? As well as ridiculous offers like Kadri+Kulemin+2nd?

Last year Gardiner dominated AHL playoffs. One day he will do the same in NHL (for us)!

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
mix1home

Quote:
I really like the Leafs, especially now they have real toughness to go along with their skill. I don't see Gardiner filling a role, that other players are already doing. Plus, Rielly is certainly going to be a better player than Gardiner as soon as next year. Heck the Leafs may call him up when his season ends in the CHL. It would be crumby if the Leafs lose out in the play-offs, because something happens to our goaltending, again.
Who will be better Rielly vs. Gardiner is remain to be seen. In any case two great young players are better than one and there is ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE to trade any of them away (to help other teams out of terrible contracts, no less).

Old
02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
birddog*

This is good. Both goalies need to perform to keep their jobs.

The price is high and out of reach. Maybe in a month -- Nonis will have changed his mind.

If Scrivens keeps playing lights out, it's hard to imagine he'll be replaced.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Clark4Ever

Nonis is 100% correct in his thought process.

The Leafs have demonstrated that they might be worthy of playoff contention in the immediate future. Therefore, why not pick up a veteran UFA backup goaltender for peanuts in a lockout shortened season as insurance just in case Reimer and/or Scrivens suffer any extensive injuries.

Worst case scenario, Reimer comes back, picks up where he left off, and both he and Scrivens form a reliable tandem the rest of the way while veteran helps the Marlies.

A worthwhile gamble in my opinion.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
mix1home

Besides, I think Nonis was forced into this conversation because of summer/fall speculations by MLSE officials that Leafs will be looking to add veteran goalie as it was too risky to go into the season with two young unproven net-minders.

Media just cannot let it go. BOTH our goalies play like top 10 in this league and this is what you ask GM on your show? Are you out of your mind?

I see this as Nonis just being polite and spilling usual cliches of GMs about adding veteran presence if price is right and why not...

Old
02-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Hey guys, Rielly > Gardiner...so I think we should ship Gardiner as soon as possible for whatever we can get. We don't want two young talented defenseman on the Leafs...
Might as well ship off that Reimer kid too I mean two goalies who are playing well? No thank you.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Maybe now that the Leafs appear to be a Cup contender, Luongo will accept a trade to Toronot, and Nonis is simply 'laying' some ground-work? Gardiner for Luongo would look pretty good right now. The Leafs wouldn't even have to give up a current roster player!
Keep dreaming.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Keep dreaming.
Yes, I know it's not going to happen. Luongo most likely still refuses to come to Toronto, and Vancouver is asking for more than one player in return.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
dcervi*

lets get luongo without breaking the bank on his aging/ expiring a55. He's not a spring chicken anymore so he shouldnt be fetching our young top prospects

dcervi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Don't even mention Luongo...

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
pspot

I've never been a fan of a two young goalie set up
On any slip up fans and media are to quick to apoint the one a bust and the next the saviour

Adding a vet would be a good move

Lu to Fla, Theo to Leafs

or maybe something around Khabibulin

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Yes, I know it's not going to happen. Luongo most likely still refuses to come to Toronto, and Vancouver is asking for more than one player in return.
Good to hear. I've read your posting history, so I know you know what you're talking about. Don't need his contract weighing down the Leafs like he will the Canucks!!

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Whydidijoin*

Probably not a big concern of his, but makes sense for him to be looking out for a cheap veteran guy who can teach the kids the ropes (kinda like how Giguere really helped Reimer in his first season), and in case we run into difficulties with the kids in the playoffs (which happens for young guys a lot, even if they were good in the regular season).

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

We will sign an ufa to a 2 way deal. Someone who can assist when a Reimer injury occurs or keep the guys mentally stable after a rough game.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
A little early to be in the sauce isn't it?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
leafspring*

Nonis saying it to start the season was one thing,saying it yesterday was another,and he was out of line. When he keeps blowing his horn on the i'll be slow/patient build this team right theme.

Most likely,(and i haven't checked) Scrivens/Reims are top 5/10 in the NHL as a tandem.

These 2 earned/deserve more respect imo.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I assume Toskala is available.
I'd rather have Raycroft myself

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Mentioning the name of the worst goalie in Leaf history should be a ban-hammer offense

Oh come on, there were worse than him.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:55 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I don't want a veteran goalie. Getting one essentially means:

-we have to move one of Reimer or Scrivens. Both are young(ish), and even though it IS a small sample size, they've done nothing to justify needing an upgrade and there's no reason to move them while they have low trade value since there's a risk they will go somewhere else and become a legitimate starter

- It would cost us assets. We're a building team, not one that should be moving assets for a veteran.

- If Reimer/Scrivens DO falter, then we can just go hard after Backstrom this summer. We easily have the cap space, and trading for his rights would be much cheaper than trading for a signed veteran right now

But they might be able to sign a veteran free agent which wouldn't cost them assets and it might also be possible to get one on a two-way contract so that it is the veteran who could be sent to the Marlies when needed.

Or maybe they can grab one from a team that needs to dump salary?

They are both playing well right now but getting a veteran to help bring them along is a solid idea, particularly if it doesn't cost them anything.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
The only positive would be, is dumping a contract for someone like Backstrom- JML or Komo

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote