HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Gym contract situation

Old
02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Vip
****n good milkshake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
The way I see it, you have two choices:

A. Continue to refuse to pay what you owe and force the gym to bring you to small claims court, which they might not do over $311 due to time and court fees.

B. Judge Judy. http://www.judgejudy.com/submit_your_case

I have always wanted to go on Judge Judy, but I haven't had any legitimate legal beef with anyone...yet.

Btw, Judge Judy is like small claims court (maximum $5k award), but it's technically a binding legal arbitration. The show's producers actually pay all of the awards, as well as travel costs and a small stipend for your time spent filming. So even if you lose (which you probably will), you won't actually pay for anything out of pocket.
Lol I doubt i'd get chosen to be on Judge Judy.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:30 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Why aren't you lifting bro?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
He mentioned that he is open to a discount on the whopping $300 that i owe.

I should probably just realize that i completely fuc*ed myself over and pay it. But damn. $300 dollars.
Screw that .. still try to get out of it (they'll try to coerce you into paying). Worst case senario you can't get out of it and you pay, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:11 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

lol@trying to get out of a contract with a business that essentially lives and dies by people signing said contracts and not using the facilities.

They will fight you to the death over this money.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
I go to the gym 7 days a week. Sometimes twice a day. The gym (Anytime Fitness) completely blows and i didn't know that before i signed. FML.

I just recently moved and was very eager to join a gym. Mistake on my part.
so you didnt have a week, or so, trial to try hte gym out before you signed the contract?

thats your problem then

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:22 AM
markrander87

Quote:
I did get a tour of it and thought it was okay. It wasn't until i started working out that i realized the lack of equipment they have. It really is my fault.

I am still going to try to get out of it though because they waited 8 months and never withdrew any money and now suddenly want it all up front.
Started to workout there?

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Vip
****n good milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Yes there specifically.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Try and settle for less. Maybe a month or two of membership, plus the rest of the start up fees. Probably your best bet.

If they agree, make sure to get documentation that the contract is void.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Vip
****n good milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Try and settle for less. Maybe a month or two of membership, plus the rest of the start up fees. Probably your best bet.

If they agree, make sure to get documentation that the contract is void.
Going to talk to them today. Will update the thread on what happens.
Most likely I am going to just get a discount. I do want to find out why they waited 8 months to charge me though...

Old
02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
If you don't pay, they have the right to sell your contract to a collection agency who will get the money from you as well as knock your credit score down into the gutters. You signed a legal agreement and you must oblige to it. Throwing away $300 is nothing compared to what will happen if you don't pay. Don't even think of getting a car loan or house mortgage if the gym thinks you won't pay them.

I fought with Fedex over $15 for 4 months and they finally threatened to get a collections agency to attack me. I of course immediately gave them my credit information...
Shouldn't have. It was an empty threat. For $300, though, he may wish to negotiate with them. Generally, they sell these debts for very small amounts, so it's better to get it out of the way with a smaller amount. They want the money, so they'll make all sorts of ridiculous threats, but depending on how much it is.

For $15, I'd have called their bluff. They're trying to push you around, so it's important to know what your rights are, and the likelihood of them actually calling. No collection agency is going to take on a debt of under $100. It's a waste of their time, and Fedex knows this.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Vip
****n good milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Shouldn't have. It was an empty threat. For $300, though, he may wish to negotiate with them. Generally, they sell these debts for very small amounts, so it's better to get it out of the way with a smaller amount. They want the money, so they'll make all sorts of ridiculous threats, but depending on how much it is.

For $15, I'd have called their bluff. They're trying to push you around, so it's important to know what your rights are, and the likelihood of them actually calling. No collection agency is going to take on a debt of under $100. It's a waste of their time, and Fedex knows this.
What about $300 though?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:53 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:

This is absolutely NOT true. I had an apparent debt after the fact with UPS for a $63 delivery charge (I put it on my credit card when the delivery arrived but the driver messed up and they billed me six months later), which I disputed, and they repeatedly called my house every day and sent me copious amounts of mail. I eventually acquiesced once the possibility of my credit score taking a hit became a real possibility.

And that was over something as frivolous as $63. Do not tempt these people because collection agencies can be incredibly invasive and irritating to deal with. They are total b*stards about these things and don't care how they inconvenience you or how abusive they come across. They just want their money in the end and the agency wants to get paid.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
This is absolutely NOT true. I had an apparent debt after the fact with UPS for a $63 delivery charge (I put it on my credit card when the delivery arrived but the driver messed up and they billed me six months later), which I disputed, and they repeatedly called my house every day and sent me copious amounts of mail. I eventually acquiesced once the possibility of my credit score taking a hit became a real possibility.

And that was over something as frivolous as $63. Do not tempt these people because collection agencies can be incredibly invasive and irritating to deal with. They are total b*stards about these things and don't care how they inconvenience you or how abusive they come across. They just want their money in the end and the agency wants to get paid.
It is. My sister used to work for one years ago, so I learned some interesting tidbits about the industry worked. What you dealt with may have been a first-party collection agency or the company themselves, but a third-party? Doubt it. There's a difference between the two. No agency is going to take it on because it ends up being a loss. $63 would likely end up being significantly less after the original company sold off the debt. They called you every day? Think about what you're saying for a moment. They have hundreds if not thousands of debts to collect, so they're not going to waste their time every single day going after a small fry whose debt, even if they purchased the account, would land them under $50.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
IWD

Quote:
What about $300 though?
You're stuck paying something, but you need to negotiate regardless. Are you a student? How old are you? Where you are in your career can help determine where that final figure ends up. If you're a poor student, which it sounds like you are given that a $300 sum is a sizable number, you can tell him that you don't make much and can offer a small amount. He just wants to get as much as you can so I'd start off with small monthly payments. If he offers a discounted lower amount that is a single sum, say 200, go for 100. The real result should end up being around 150.

Not that I'm lecturing you, but why would you sign up for something and then never bother to utilize it? Contracts are a headache, so you need to know exactly what you're signing up for. I'm debating on signing up for a corporate gym down the street, but I'm still iffy because I don't like the contract. I probably won't sign up for that reason alone, and may opt for my old university gym which is about 15 minutes further away and slightly more expensive.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Alright guys, no jokes here, I need ideas.

So on June 11th, 2012, I went into a gym and signed up. However, I did not provide the full down payment that was required that day, and the owner let me do that. We agreed I would come back in in a week or so, although I never did. They did not contact me in 8 months nor did I contact them or visit their gym. So fast forward to present day (February 2013). I get an E-mail from one of the managers of the club, asking me about the membership and if i was still planning on coming in. I politely send back an E-mail, telling her that I do not plan on joining the club and that I would like to void my contract. I also mentioned to her how bad the customer service was at the gym.

So tonight, I get an E-mail from the owner, telling me that I owe them $311 dollars in fees. WTF I email him back telling him that I have not been to the club in over 8 months and did not step foot in the door once after I left. Tomorrow I plan on confronting him in person to discuss this situation. I am beyond pissed right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Quote:
Yes there specifically.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
"GIME? What's a GIME?"

"OHHHHHH! A GIME!"

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:25 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

You indicated that you signed a contract. Your first step should probably be to read said contract and therefore familiarize yourself with the terms stated within. It likely covers this sort of non payment business that you have gotten yourself into and at that point you will probably immediately be able to determine if there is any escape from payment.

Assuming there isn't, you will likely be able to talk the guy down. Start low as all he's got into the deal with your was the time to give you a tour.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
It is. My sister used to work for one years ago, so I learned some interesting tidbits about the industry worked. What you dealt with may have been a first-party collection agency or the company themselves, but a third-party? Doubt it. There's a difference between the two. No agency is going to take it on because it ends up being a loss. $63 would likely end up being significantly less after the original company sold off the debt. They called you every day? Think about what you're saying for a moment.
I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. They called every single day. You can't just ignore these things, especially if a collection agency gets involved and they can affect your credit store negatively.

Quote:
They have hundreds if not thousands of debts to collect, so they're not going to waste their time every single day going after a small fry whose debt, even if they purchased the account, would land them under $50.
And before this happened I would have assumed the same thing, but they do care.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. They called every single day. You can't just ignore these things, especially if a collection agency gets involved and they can affect your credit store negatively.

And before this happened I would have assumed the same thing, but they do care.
I'm not wrong. They weren't a third-party collection agency then. There's a distinct process they have to go through before it gets sent to an actual agency. As in, legal process. You're more than welcome to google it. Third parties don't collect small amounts because it's more efficient for the original company to use their own people or simply write it off. It's just not worth it from a cost/benefit point of view.

They're abusive and often make it sound like they're from an actual collection agency, but it's bunk. It sounds like they used the typical tactics.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
I was supposed to pay a start up fee but never did.. Doesn't that void it?
No. It means you owe the start-up fees.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:36 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Yes there specifically.
If you used it, you need to pay for it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
No. It means you owe the start-up fees.
Well why did they never contact me until 8 months later?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
If you used it, you need to pay for it.
I only worked out there one day, which was the day that i signed the contract and partially payed the start up fee.

No need to really discuss this anymore though. I understand it was my fault and I am working with the ****** bag of an owner to get a discount.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:53 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well why did they never contact me until 8 months later?
You should be lucky they didn't contact you after the year...

You should also be lucky it's only going to be $300.

An ETF alone would probably run you about $100+ in most standard gym contracts...

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote