HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Gym contract situation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
  #51
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
So I emailed the owner back and told him that I will come in to discuss a discount with him that he is offering me.

He then replies saying he is rarely in the gym an that we must communicate over email.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
  #52
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,777
vCash: 500
What I'm confused about in this situation is how you could determine that you liked or disliked the gym after one visit. You need more time to make an appropriate judgement from where I stand.

Also, why didn't you get the basic three day trial or one week trial for free that most gyms offer prospective customers? I had a friend sign me on for a free one week try-out and I enjoyed the gym very much. I'm still a member three years later.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:21 PM
  #53
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Also, why didn't you get the basic three day trial or one week trial for free that most gyms offer prospective customers?
If you've been working out long enough, you don't really need a "trial". You should know what equipment a gym needs for you and if they have it or not...

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
  #54
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
If you've been working out long enough, you don't really need a "trial". You should know what equipment a gym needs for you and if they have it or not...
I agree in theory, but I've noticed that equipment differs from gym to gym. It might take a few visits to see if you like the selection available or not. Obviously that doesn't apply to free weights, which tend to be universal.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
  #55
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
What I'm confused about in this situation is how you could determine that you liked or disliked the gym after one visit. You need more time to make an appropriate judgement from where I stand.

Also, why didn't you get the basic three day trial or one week trial for free that most gyms offer prospective customers? I had a friend sign me on for a free one week try-out and I enjoyed the gym very much. I'm still a member three years later.
I can see what you are saying, like maybe I didn't give it much of a chance. But for example, I was using the dumbbells for dumbbell bench press and they didn't even go as heavy as i can lift. Not trying to sound like a tool just explaining why I didn't like it. In the brief tour that i got, I also didn't realize that the gym doesn't even have a standard bench press. I probably should have given it a few days.

your second paragraph is where i made my biggest mistake. I recently moved to the area and i am used to working out 6-7 days a week.. I didn't have a gym down here so i pretty much jumped the gun and went to this one, which was the closest gym near me. I thought that a gym is a gym and that this one was good, turns out I was very wrong. The more I think about this the more I realize it is my own damn fault

Edit: I sound like the biggest tool right now

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  #56
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
vipersauna seen claiming to be stronger than ikeamonkey. I want this thread audited.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  #57
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,777
vCash: 500
I don't think you sound like a tool. You were just impatient and made a mistake. Just make sure to heed the advice and warnings that other posters have smartly made regarding signing contracts without being ready to commit to them and you should be fine. Everybody makes mistakes, but it bears repeating again that gyms make up a ton of overhead on people who aren't willing to commit, but sign contracts with them anyway, so maybe take your time deciding if a gym is right for you in the future.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  #58
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Bottom line is that I shouldn't have signed anything. Especially with me not really knowing what I was getting into. And I made a huge mistake by doing that. Lesson learned for sure.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
  #59
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I don't think you sound like a tool. You were just impatient and made a mistake. Just make sure to heed the advice and warnings that other posters have smartly made regarding signing contracts without being ready to commit to them and you should be fine. Everybody makes mistakes, but it bears repeating again that gyms make up a ton of overhead on people who aren't willing to commit, but sign contracts with them anyway, so maybe take your time deciding if a gym is right for you in the future.
Impatience is really what caused this situation for me.
I definitely learned my lesson.

Still have to resolve this with the owner though.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
  #60
BluesOne31
We going insane
 
BluesOne31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Ask your sugar momma from the LA thread to pay for it.

BluesOne31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
  #61
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesOne31 View Post
Ask your sugar momma from the LA thread to pay for it.
What?

Edit: Lol. Good one. I need to update that.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
  #62
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
So I emailed the owner back and told him that I will come in to discuss a discount with him that he is offering me.

He then replies saying he is rarely in the gym an that we must communicate over email.
Tell him that it's not a problem, and to let you know when he's in so it can be discussed. You can also let him know that when it comes to financial matters, you prefer to discuss things in person as you've had previous bad experiences. If he insists, let him know that you're willing to discuss it with the person who handles contracts. He's the owner. It's his job to haul his ass to the gym if there's a problem.

There's a reason he's trying to get it done over email. It's easier to negotiate and intimidate when you're not dealing with a person face-to-face. He wants the money, and you're willing to discuss it with him, so don't let him dictate the terms of engagement. The truth is that you coming in lowers his negotiating leverage. Don't let him dictate the terms. He's only in it for the money, so that's the same attitude you should take. He's not losing any money or employee time because it would be no different than if you had never been in the system in the first place.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
  #63
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
He's the owner. It's his job to haul his ass to the gym if there's a problem.
No.

It's his job to hire a manager to do those sort of things.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
  #64
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
No.

It's his job to hire a manager to do those sort of things.
The manager clearly thought otherwise, and sent this problem to the owner to deal with it. If it was in the manager's ability to fix the problem, he would have told her to fix it herself. Managers, at least at the three gyms I've worked at, ran day-to-day operations. Owners were always the last resort. A CEO would delegate, but if he's contacting this guy directly, it's a small enough organization that it he doesn't have someone to deal with an issue like this. Ergo, it's his job to deal with whatever his managers can't.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:37 AM
  #65
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar
 
Taro Tsujimoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clarence Center, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
C'mon down and join the winning team, because here at Globo Gym, We're better than you and we know it!

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
  #66
Rizer
Registered User
 
Rizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Israel
Posts: 4,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Alright guys, no jokes here, I need ideas.

So on June 11th, 2012, I went into a gym and signed up. However, I did not provide the full down payment that was required that day, and the owner let me do that. We agreed I would come back in in a week or so, although I never did. They did not contact me in 8 months nor did I contact them or visit their gym. So fast forward to present day (February 2013). I get an E-mail from one of the managers of the club, asking me about the membership and if i was still planning on coming in. I politely send back an E-mail, telling her that I do not plan on joining the club and that I would like to void my contract. I also mentioned to her how bad the customer service was at the gym.

So tonight, I get an E-mail from the owner, telling me that I owe them $311 dollars in fees. WTF I email him back telling him that I have not been to the club in over 8 months and did not step foot in the door once after I left. Tomorrow I plan on confronting him in person to discuss this situation. I am beyond pissed right now.
For gym memberships you usually have a cooling off period of several weeks (in which they usually give you trial membership) to make up your mind before you commit to the actual contract or not. If for some reason you don't want to join, then you must repudiate this immediately or have records that you tried to do within a reasonable amount of time.

8 months is not reasonable. You are pretty much out of luck. Of course, you could always get a contract lawyer and fight it, but then you would be looking at $300/hr to fight a $300 bill.

Just pay it, you are pretty much obligated to at this point in time since you took no steps to void the contract when you had the opportunity.

But like I said, if you really want to do it then feel free to fight it in court, but it will cost you probably 10x what your fees are.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
  #67
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Update:

I went into the gym yesterday afternoon to confront the guy. He claims that he is rarely in the gym which i know is a lie, so I wanted to catch him off guard. I walked in and an extremely attractive girl greeted me, and I pretended like I was interested in joining until she told me to come into one of the offices. I then asked where the manager/owner is and she said he will be in tomorrow (today). So I guess I will go back today to try to talk to him in person.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
  #68
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Update:

I went into the gym yesterday afternoon to confront the guy. He claims that he is rarely in the gym which i know is a lie, so I wanted to catch him off guard. I walked in and an extremely attractive girl greeted me, and I pretended like I was interested in joining until she told me to come into one of the offices. I then asked where the manager/owner is and she said he will be in tomorrow (today). So I guess I will go back today to try to talk to him in person.
For a guy who never stepped a foot in the place, you sure do seem to know a lot about it and their patterns...


Why would you walk in to confront the guy, or is that a poor choice of wording? If I have your signature on a contract, and you walk in whining and being a total dick, you're only giving me more motivation to hold you to it and fight you for every penny. Come talk to me like a normal person leaving the attitude at the door, and I'm more likely to cut you some sort of deal.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
  #69
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
it's a small enough organization that it he doesn't have someone to deal with an issue like this. Ergo, it's his job to deal with whatever his managers can't.


It's ****ing Anytime Fitness.

The man is a ****ing franchisee, just because his managers are worthless doesn't mean it isn't their job.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
  #70
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
For a guy who never stepped a foot in the place, you sure do seem to know a lot about it and their patterns...


Why would you walk in to confront the guy, or is that a poor choice of wording? If I have your signature on a contract, and you walk in whining and being a total dick, you're only giving me more motivation to hold you to it and fight you for every penny. Come talk to me like a normal person leaving the attitude at the door, and I'm more likely to cut you some sort of deal.
I know he is lying because he is the one that signed me up. I am not gonna go in there being a total dick. I just prefer to discuss financial terms in person. I also feel like I can lay down my case better in person so we can come to an agreement. I don't plan on being a total dick to him.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
It's ****ing Anytime Fitness.

The man is a ****ing franchisee, just because his managers are worthless doesn't mean it isn't their job.
Anytime Fitness sucks a**. The whole reason why this started (and because i jumped the gun).

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
  #71
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I know he is lying because he is the one that signed me up. I am not gonna go in there being a total dick. I just prefer to discuss financial terms in person. I also feel like I can lay down my case better in person so we can come to an agreement. I don't plan on being a total dick to him.





Anytime Fitness sucks a**. The whole reason why this started (and because i jumped the gun).
So because he was in there one day signing you up, that means he is always there? The DM of my gym signs people up all the time, but he is only there 2 times a week at the most. I really think you're blowing this out of proportion. You should have just handled it via email like he mentioned. I don't see why you need to get in person to discuss a debt of $300. I'm not clearing and arranging my schedule for some guy that signed a contract, didn't read it, and now owes me $300. Tough ****.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
  #72
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
So because he was in there one day signing you up, that means he is always there? The DM of my gym signs people up all the time, but he is only there 2 times a week at the most. I really think you're blowing this out of proportion. You should have just handled it via email like he mentioned. I don't see why you need to get in person to discuss a debt of $300. I'm not clearing and arranging my schedule for some guy that signed a contract, didn't read it, and now owes me $300. Tough ****.
Well, we will see what happens. He still hasn't replied after I sent that email yesterday afternoon.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
  #73
Armond White
Go Sabres!
 
Armond White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oakland Zoo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Well why did they never contact me until 8 months later?
Does it matter? They have a right to collect on the money you owe. "I haven't paid taxes in years! Why is the IRS calling now?" Keep in mind, you aren't their only customer. Also, they knew that you knew you owed. Only after a certain point did they decide to hound you down.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
  #74
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
It's ****ing Anytime Fitness.

The man is a ****ing franchisee, just because his managers are worthless doesn't mean it isn't their job.
It becomes his job to step in if his hires aren't capable of fulfilling their jobs. No one else is going to. He's not going to stop and walk away just because his managers can't collect a debt.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:26 AM
  #75
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,752
vCash: 500
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you're having gym contract problems, yet you go to Gold's Gym who has a reputation with contracts?

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.