HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tucker is not expendable

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Trade Berg idea

I don't think it is a bad idea at all...

I also think that alone Berg does not have enough value by himself to trade him and improve in another area of the Team unless he was combined with another player.....The most tradeable/& expendable player would be Tucker.. Salary and Age wise...

I also think that Buffalo and Zhitnik is the way to go.. They need to get Satan & Mckee signed and reducing Salary by taking on Tucker & Berg would help that situation... So its a good fit for both teams...

Then Toronto's Defense would have a big 3 of

Zhitnik
McCabe
Kaberle

With 3 developing youngsters at #4 , #5 & #6

Ric Jackman
Carlo Colaiacovo
Max Kondratiev

and the grizzled vet Marchment at the 7th position when he is not suspended..

Also Tucker who is having a good camp, roster spot can be given to a younger player at forward ie. Matty Stajan or Poni Boy ...because after this season many Leaf forward vets will not be returning particularly if there is a lockout so some young blood needs to be brought in.. as well as Vets such as Roberts and Nieuwendyk would be great for developement of a young player Stajan..

I would also promote Tellqvist permanently at Kidd's expense and groom him for Belfours position in the Future..

So after the Zhitnik trade

That would leave the Roster as follows....

Mikael Renberg....Mats Sundin..........Owen Nolan
Gary Roberts......Joe Nieuwendyk......Matt Stajan
A Ponikarovsky....Nik Antropov.........Alexander Mogilny
Travis Green.......Robert Reichel.......Tie Domi

Tomas Kaberle........Maxim Kondratiev
Bryan McCabe........Ric Jackman
Alexei Zhitnik.........Carlo Colaiacovo
Bryan Marchment

Eddie Belfour
Mikael Tellqvist

with extras Fitzgerald & Belak as situationl players..

So I think Tucker & Berg would fit better on someone else's team and give the kids a chance while still improving the Defense overall by the addition of Zhitnik..

The Messenger....

Old
09-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Oilers, Islanders and the Sabres were all willing to give up a #1 d-man for a package with Tucker as the center piece, so yes the Leafs can get make that kind of trade.
You have this way of pulling up phoney facts to back up your arguments but I have yet to see you prove that any of those teams would have given up a #1 d-man for Tucker. Even in a package.

Like I said before #1 defenceman = Antropov, Colaiacovo and 1st round pick. But I still want to know what your definition of a #1 defenceman is.

(And no, Zhitnik is still not a #1 defenceman)

Old
09-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
You have this way of pulling up phoney facts to back up your arguments but I have yet to see you prove that any of those teams would have given up a #1 d-man for Tucker. Even in a package.

Like I said before #1 defenceman = Antropov, Colaiacovo and 1st round pick. But I still want to know what your definition of a #1 defenceman is.

I agree ...No one is willing to trade #1's and there are so few of them out there...

& No Zhitnik might not be a #1 by our standards, but that is the kind of Dman that can play #1 minutes, run a PP and be had because of his Salary and Age be had for a package that might include Tucker as the Focal point...

Old
09-23-2003, 09:17 AM
loveshack2

Quote:

Not to rehash old discussions, but look, if Zhitnik is not a #1 defenseman then why even bother talking about it because the few #1 d-man that would exist (ie Lidstrom, Blake, Pronger, etc) will *never* *never* be traded no matter what the Leafs might offer up. Forget Antropov + Cola + 1st, there is no package the Leafs, or any other team for that matter, could put together that would pry any of those players from their current teams.

I guess my definition of a "#1 d-man" is a little broader than yours, but if the Leafs have an opportunity to acquire a guy like Zhitnik without paying through the nose for him they should be all over it.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:18 AM
sluggo*

Leaf_army - start listening to the radio and reading papers, thenyou'll hear about these possible deals as well. Plus we don't know who is on trading block, and who will get on the block later int he year when teams are out of the playoffs.

Zhitnik is a #1 D-man and would be for the Leafs. He can play over 25 minutes a game (hes not slowing down), he can produce good offensive numbers, hes very realiable in his own end, can play physical (though he's not a Rob Blake or anything) - he fits the mould of a #1 guy perfectly.

Zhitnik-McCabe
Kaberle-Kondratiev
Marchment-Jackman

That would be the best defensive line up for the Leafs if they got Zhitnik. If Kondratiev doesn't make the NHL put Jackman in this spot and Hedin/Pilar with Marchment.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Leaf_army - start listening to the radio and reading papers, thenyou'll hear about these possible deals as well. Plus we don't know who is on trading block, and who will get on the block later int he year when teams are out of the playoffs.

Zhitnik is a #1 D-man and would be for the Leafs. He can play over 25 minutes a game (hes not slowing down), he can produce good offensive numbers, hes very realiable in his own end, can play physical (though he's not a Rob Blake or anything) - he fits the mould of a #1 guy perfectly.

Zhitnik-McCabe
Kaberle-Kondratiev
Marchment-Jackman

That would be the best defensive line up for the Leafs if they got Zhitnik. If Kondratiev doesn't make the NHL put Jackman in this spot and Hedin/Pilar with Marchment.
I don't want to get into one of these stupid arguments again.

No way would Zhitnik be our #1 defenceman. But if you want to keep thinking that go right ahead.

Bottom line is that we can't trade Tucker for a #1 guy. Plain and simple-it's not going to happen.

Tucker would get us a #3 guy and IMO there are smarter ways of aquiring a #3 guy than to trade Darcy.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:28 PM
sluggo*

Army - THREE (3) teams were willing to give upa #1 guy (and yes, Zhitnik is a #1 guy - hes got good offense, good defenese, phsyical, leadership etc....) for a package with Tucker as the Center piece. I know you have a hard on for Tucker and would rather keep him then trade him and improve the team, but they can get what they need for him, and if they get the oppertunity again they should take it.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
I'm sory, but I've looked and looked and the only trade rumours that were swirling in the media surrounding tucker were last year prior to the deadline involving Niinimaa and the other being the talks about the Leafs moving him to a Western conference team to get Corson to waive his no trade. The first one was nixed because the Oilers wanted Antropov and the second was merely speculation on the part of the media during the whole Corson fiasco. Other than those all I've found is rumours posted on message boards which hold zero credibility. If it was reported on the radio then it's all a matter of who heard and who didn't but it certainly wasn't printed as media outlets archive their material on the net. The Niinimaa one can be found here for example and is dated prior to the deadline:

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030311/col_strachan-sun.html

Reported by Strachan none the less.

If you can find any others Sluggo feel free to post them.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:51 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I'm sory, but I've looked and looked and the only trade rumours that were swirling in the media surrounding tucker were last year prior to the deadline involving Niinimaa and the other being the talks about the Leafs moving him to a Western conference team to get Corson to waive his no trade. The first one was nixed because the Oilers wanted Antropov and the second was merely speculation on the part of the media during the whole Corson fiasco. Other than those all I've found is rumours posted on message boards which hold zero credibility. If it was reported on the radio then it's all a matter of who heard and who didn't but it certainly wasn't printed as media outlets archive their material on the net. The Niinimaa one can be found here for example and is dated prior to the deadline:

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030311/col_strachan-sun.html

Reported by Strachan none the less.

If you can find any others Sluggo feel free to post them.
To highlight the relevant quote:

The Leafs have considered sending Tucker to the team that provided last night's opposition, the Edmonton Oilers, as part of a package that would send defenceman Janne Niinimaa the other way.
But the Oilers, like so many teams in the league, have their eye on a different Leaf altogether. They want Nik Antropov for Niinimaa.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
To highlight the relevant quote:

The Leafs have considered sending Tucker to the team that provided last night's opposition, the Edmonton Oilers, as part of a package that would send defenceman Janne Niinimaa the other way.
But the Oilers, like so many teams in the league, have their eye on a different Leaf altogether. They want Nik Antropov for Niinimaa.
That is one of the CONS of having Antropov. Every team wants him.....

Old
11-03-2004, 07:32 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
The only team that I really want him to play for is Toronto.He is one of our only guys who can take a fight and score goals.Domi barely scores goals,nevermind fighting.He's getting to old.Gary is another one that can score goals,but dosen't really fight because,like Domi,he is just too old.

Old
11-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo
The only team that I really want him to play for is Toronto.He is one of our only guys who can take a fight and score goals.Domi barely scores goals,nevermind fighting.He's getting to old.Gary is another one that can score goals,but dosen't really fight because,like Domi,he is just too old.
Wow. I started this thread over a year ago.

What made you bring it back up now?

Old
11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Damn. Please trade Tucker back to the Habs if you ever have to deal him. I know the Leafs would never do that but the Habs gaffed big time dealing Darcy back in 1998.

Old
11-03-2004, 09:11 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:

:lol

I read the whole thread thinking it was new. I was like what is everyone talking about? Tucker trade rumors in the middle of a ******* lockout.

I best start looking at post dates.

Old
11-03-2004, 09:45 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:

He misses sluggo :bonk:

Old
11-03-2004, 10:37 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
He misses sluggo :bonk:
Me too

Old
11-04-2004, 07:04 AM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:

I didn't think you made this thread a year ago.I thought it was new.

Old
11-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkinator
That is one of the CONS of having Antropov. Every team wants him.....
...except us...

Old
11-04-2004, 01:06 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
People, people, people.

About 10 years ago, who was the most "indispensable" Leaf according to these guidelines?

Wendel Clark

Remember?

That trade worked out alright. You have to give to get.
Wendel Clark is the most overrated player ever to wear the Leaf Jersey.
His suicide passes used to drive me nuts, and as a former defenceman you would think his defensive positioning would have been better, but no, we'd float araounf the blue line and wait for an outlet pass ...and after his third year his body was so devestated he could no longer play at the level most people remember him at.

Old
11-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

I don't think Tucker is going anywhere, but he is hardly irreplacable, or even vital for that matter. He's a smallish agitator who can score 20 goals and has a cheap contract. On a good to elite team he is a 3rd liner.

This is not the sort of player you look at and say "wow, this guy is crucial, no way are we trading him".

Old
11-04-2004, 06:23 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs

I read the whole thread thinking it was new. I was like what is everyone talking about? Tucker trade rumors in the middle of a ******* lockout.

I best start looking at post dates.
I just noticed that too.. thought you people forgot we traded Kondratiev, and that we got Leetch.. And how much Jackman screwed up.

Old
11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Lottario

Alright... I hate to sound dumb here, but I must be missing something, because, unless I'm very much mistaken, we traded Jackman to Pitsburg for Berehouskey (however his name is spelt), which I thought was a pretty bad trade for us, since Berehouskey almost never played. Did I miss Jackmans' return?

One more thing... would Tie Domi have good trade value right now? I realize hes not thought of as one of the best players in the league, but anyone who watched the Leafs in the playoffs should realize that this guy has amazing speed, skill, and toughness when he goes for it. He was skating circles around everyone else on the ice... how much does this affect his trade value?

Old
11-04-2004, 07:05 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausername
Alright... I hate to sound dumb here, but I must be missing something, because, unless I'm very much mistaken, we traded Jackman to Pitsburg for Berehouskey (however his name is spelt), which I thought was a pretty bad trade for us, since Berehouskey almost never played. Did I miss Jackmans' return?

One more thing... would Tie Domi have good trade value right now? I realize hes not thought of as one of the best players in the league, but anyone who watched the Leafs in the playoffs should realize that this guy has amazing speed, skill, and toughness when he goes for it. He was skating circles around everyone else on the ice... how much does this affect his trade value?
you missed the part about how this thread started a year ago.

Old
11-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Lottario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
you missed the part about how this thread started a year ago.
That explains alot

Old
11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Yeah old topics are funny allthough I think Tucker is expendable, ihe's a damn good player and I would miss him a lot if we traded him, but like someone said gotta give to get.

Closed Thread