HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pads came in today, first time ever as Goalie, advice?

Old
02-19-2013, 01:05 AM
reecardo

vCash: 500
Pads came in today, first time ever as Goalie, advice?

Been skating 14 months, playing hockey about a year. Mostly play D as I skate decent backwards, though backwards quick starts are still tough for me. Have been slowly acquiring goalie gear here and there, finally completed the kit today. Plan to play for the first time at an adult learn2play on Wed with a bunch of guys I learned to play with a year ago, a few complete newbs, and a couple of guys slightly more advanced.

My friend who plays goalie asked me what hand I threw with, and I said right, so he gave me a right handed blocker and a left handed glove. I really feel like I would be a better catch right, especially considering the persistent tennis elbow in my left arm. Are there any right handed goalies out there catching right?

Last edited by reecardo: 02-19-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: spelling
reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:14 PM
goalie29

vCash: 500
Your friend gave you the normal gloves for a right hand dominant person. It's called "regular", and catch right/blocker left is called "full right". What hand have you caught with when playing ball, assuming you've played ball? I've heard of righties playing full right, but don't know anyone in real life who does.

(insert obligatory suggestion to try asking at the Goalie Store bulletin board, there are a lot of very experienced, knowledgeable goalies there).

I'm right handed and play regular. I've had bad tennis elbow in my right arm, and holding my stick was extremely painful. You're constantly using the stick hand, much more than the catcher hand. It probably would have been less of a pain to have had it in my catcher hand side. YMMV, of course.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote