HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

XV | "Grudge Match" | Oilers vs. Kings | 2.19.13 | 8:00PM | TSN

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Hartikainen Gagner Hemsky, Smyth Belanger Yakupov, eager Van de velde Paajarvi, Hall RNH Eberle

Old
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Cause gagner and Hemsky have been good together. Belanger's defensive presence will help nail. He will be ok I promise. Let it roll
That's the biggest roll of the dice IMO, Gagner has been sending Hemsky off to the races this season, the only possible benefit is that it would all but force Hemsky to play a 2 man game with Nail since Belanger is not a skilled option on that line.

02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
HandsomeDoc

@EdmontonOilers

#Oilers morning skate forward lines: 4-93-14, 56-89-83, 94-20-64, 55-54-91 (37, 28 absent)

Old
02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Hartikainen Gagner Hemsky, Smyth Belanger Yakupov, eager Van de velde Paajarvi, Hall RNH Eberle
And there you have it, Harski back to the 2nd line, it'll be interesting to see if he plays his normal game or not since he got banged up last game.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Thing about Yakupov is he's more talented than Gagner and Hemsky but hasnt proven himself enough to get the puck back from those two..
Yak needs to play selfish for a few games, score a bunch of goals so he wont get criticized (cuz he will never get the leeway from edmonton media(biased, prejudiced..somewhat racist) that Hall got in his rookie season when he went 7 games before scoring his first goal..

Yakupov in my opinion will score more NHL goals than Hall, and Eberle combined after 5 seasons.

Love Eberle and Halls game..love having em on my team..but in the NHL only Stamkos and Ovie can shoot like Yakupov.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I interpret the move as being more about getting Yakupov onto a different line. The kid is -8, and really isn't getting enough quality scoring chances playing with Hemsky and Gagner.

In theory, he should be getting lots of chances on that line playing against easier opposition, but, I'm sure you'll agree that neither Gagner, nor Hemsky, are getting the puck into his wheelhouse.

The kid only has 26 shots on net, compared to 57 for Hall, and 48 for Eberle, and, let's face it, Eberle and Hall have missed the net a bunch this year (don't know where the stats on that would be found).

I just don't see the chemistry, so it's best to move Yakupov and see if he can take offensive charge on a different line.

Maybe he's deferring too much to the veterans.
I think that you are on the right track with this reasoning. I would have put Yakupov on the top line if it were not for the last two games.

In the end I think the move makes a lot of sense. This doesn't mean that the organization puts PRV before Yakupov. PRV gets this chance (if he gets it, not sure it's confirmed just yet) due to his decent play so far this season. Yakupov moves since it's not been working out very good with Hemsky and Gagner. For example he actually has a significantly worse shots / 60 minutes (not counting PP) and goals / 60 minutes (not counting PP) than PRV (in this case PRV is just used as an example, don't panic, I am not saying PRV is better than Yakupov, he isn't). Just looking at those numbers it is obvious imo that Yakupov needs a change, especially since it isn't like PRV has been lighting it up offensively...

Seeing as we shouldn't break up the top line at this moment and that Hemsky and Gagner are doing good together I don't really see a better move to make.

EDIT: That said, I think we might see PRV and Yakupov switched back during the game if things are not working out.

EDIT 2: Same as above but change PRV for Harti. I think it is a good move and look forward to see the higlights ... (not on tv so I can't record the game and I am too old to be able to work tomorrow after staying up watching it..)

Old
joestevens29

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
Morning skate power-play units: Whitney-Gagner-Eberle-Smyth-Yakupov and Hartikainen-RNH-Hall-JSchultz-Hemsky

Old
0ilerman
The King

I'm happy if it's Khabi, he deserves a start.
Was at the game Saturday - seeing that save sequence live, on my side of the rink, was as entertaining a 6 seconds of hockey as I can remember

Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Thing about Yakupov is he's more talented than Gagner and Hemsky but hasnt proven himself enough to get the puck back from those two..
Yak needs to play selfish for a few games, score a bunch of goals so he wont get criticized (cuz he will never get the leeway from edmonton media(biased, prejudiced..somewhat racist) that Hall got in his rookie season when he went 7 games before scoring his first goal..

Yakupov in my opinion will score more NHL goals than Hall, and Eberle combined after 5 seasons.

Love Eberle and Halls game..love having em on my team..but in the NHL only Stamkos and Ovie can shoot like Yakupov.
Unless injuries hit IMO that is an unrealistic expectation.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
oilersfan87

My heart is saying 4-2 oilers but my head is saying 3-1 kings

Old
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
3-2 Oilers in a shootout.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:53 AM
missinthejets

Quote:

the thing about Yakupov is he's a fresh out of junior (essentially) rookie on a team that is trying to win not spoon feed rookies. I agree that Yakupov is likely to be the best goal scorer of any of them, but the kid is still raw and there's nothing wrong with moving him around the lineup. Hell I'd be ok if he spent a few games in the press box because there's really no need to rush things if there's other players who might help the team win more.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Looks like Corey Potter is the healthy scratch on defense tonight.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Harley

Go Oilers.

Big, strong, desperate team that is going to be fired up over that last loss to us.

Big test. Its two for one night. Win puts us into the playoff hunt. A loss for them seriously hurts them and starts putting their whole season into question.

Just win baby.

Rishaug doing his best to stir it up for the opposition. I wish an Oiler player would just slap him already. Guy is such a tool.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Is Jones getting close to returning?

Old
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
LaGu

Quote:

Do you think last season was an outlier?

Eberle 34 goals in 78 games <=> 36 goals in 82 games.
Hall 27 goals in 61 games <=> 36 goals in 82 games.

=> Yakupov > 72 goals...

I'd love it but I don't think it will happen.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I don't understand why MPS isn't being given chances with offensive players.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Looks like Corey Potter is the healthy scratch on defense tonight.

I am pleased with this decision

Old
02-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

I concur.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Slatsmsg

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I think the thing with MPS is that he is a solid two way player, something they need on that fourth line. That being said, I can see him slipping into the odd shift with # 2 or # 3 line to get his minutes up.

There is so much depth on scoring wing that its hard to have him supplant someone else.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
There is only so many spots. Not everyone can play in the top 6.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I remember at the end of Jan Gregor saying "For sure" Jones would be in the first week of February. What's up with Jones?

Old
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Potter has played better than Whitney this season ... which says more about Whitney than it does Potter.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
2-0 Kings. The type of team we always have trouble with, who just got abused by the Hawks.

Oilers feeling good about themselves after last game, will dial back the intensity and will lose.
I think that's a pretty solid prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
if the oilers want to keep pace with the playoff bubble teams this game is a must win.
We're like, 0-4 in must win games. I hope we win this one, but I won't hold my breath.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Mr Sakich

one thing that is making me a little angry is that we get Quick tonight and the Flames probably get Bernier tomorrow. The Flames have played the backup goalie 5 times allready this year and tomorrow will be the 6th.

Closed Thread