HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

XV | "Grudge Match" | Oilers vs. Kings | 2.19.13 | 8:00PM | TSN

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'm not thrilled with the lineup changes, TBH. Unlike most, I don't mind Yakupov on the Smyth/Belanger line, but I'd much rather see Paajarvi in his place with Gagner/Hemsky than Hartikainen. As long as Yakupov still gets a heavy dose of PP time, that's where he's most likely to help this team anyway at this point (and I would almost put him in Hall's place on the #1 unit TBH).

I also think Smyth is a better net presense than Hartikainen on the Nuge/Hall/Eberle powerplay unit.

I think they'd probably sit him anyway, but hopefully Petrell doesn't have a concussion.

02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
one thing that is making me a little angry is that we get Quick tonight and the Flames probably get Bernier tomorrow. The Flames have played the backup goalie 5 times allready this year and tomorrow will be the 6th.
Not to mention they get the second half of back to backs. Back up goalie and a team that's played the night before. If I was part of the Oilers orginization I'd be taking that up with the league, it's garbage.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Not to mention they get the second half of back to backs. Back up goalie and a team that's played the night before. If I was part of the Oilers orginization I'd be taking that up with the league, it's garbage.
There is only so much you can do. Building is booked with Oil Kings, Rush, concerts, curling etc..

Old
02-19-2013, 01:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
one thing that is making me a little angry is that we get Quick tonight and the Flames probably get Bernier tomorrow. The Flames have played the backup goalie 5 times allready this year and tomorrow will be the 6th.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ercentage&pg=2

Old
02-19-2013, 01:32 PM
waffen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
We're like, 0-4 in must win games. I hope we win this one, but I won't hold my breath.
we're like, 6-5-3 in must win games

Old
02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffen View Post

Go Oil! Anyone got a feed? I'm out of country, would like to check up on a little bit of it.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
I don't mind that the Oilers can now be deemed starting goalie worthy. I was getting sick of the oilers often playing against backups, and still losing.

as for people complaining about back to backs, every team has some really crappy scheduling this year with the lockout situation. it all equals out in the end.

not feeling good about the Oilers chances today. will only risk 100vcash

Old
02-19-2013, 01:42 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

I like Khabibulin getting the start. He earned it after his relief job. Let's hope he puts in a strong performance along with the rest of the team.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

Go Oil! Anyone got a feed? I'm out of country, would like to check up on a little bit of it.
The same as every other game. ATDHE/First row sports/etc

Old
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
There is only so much you can do. Building is booked with Oil Kings, Rush, concerts, curling etc..
Yeah, that's true. But it's still garbage they get to mop up after we tire a team out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffen View Post
Hah.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
TopCookie

Noooo I wanted dubey to start;he's on my fantasy team haha. Oh well I say 3-1 oil

Old
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

wow. went to place my vcash bet and "HallOfGreatness4" bet 20,000 against the oilers. i guess he must love Hall but hate the oilers?

Old
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Kings must be having the traditional stanley cup hangover. I didn't realize they were last in the league in goals for.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Therefore, we need that new arena to offset these conflicting dates

Old
02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
The same as every other game. ATDHE/First row sports/etc
Good good good.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
wow. went to place my vcash bet and "HallOfGreatness4" bet 20,000 against the oilers. i guess he must love Hall but hate the oilers?
I'm going to bet all mine on LA too, it's not real money and I'm trying to buy the Oil a win...

My wife gets choked when I do this with real cash in Vegas...

Old
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Perro

Quote:
That's what happens when you become the better albertan team, you face the better goalies. Take it as a compliment.
For what it is worth though Bachman in for Dallas was due to injury not due to choice by the stars. Also Bernier has played very well his last two starts.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Kings must be having the traditional stanley cup hangover. I didn't realize they were last in the league in goals for.
IS that per game? I think Nashville is lowerst per game. Either way the kings issues of finding the back of the net have continued from last year.
Too much talent for them to be so bad at scoring.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I think LA is really motivated to beat us after our victory over them. Also, they're not too happy after losing to the Hawks. The key to this game will be who gets off to a good start. If I'm Kreuger I put the young guns on first and let Hall take the faceoff since he's 66%

Old
02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
the kings issues of finding the back of the net have continued from last year.
Too much talent for them to be so bad at scoring.
kinda like Edmonton. lol

Old
02-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Ser Woof
**** The Lounge

I'm not sure why people are saying that Hemsky and Gagner aren't utilizing Yakupov enough when #64 himself isn't getting to the proper spot in the offensive zone.

Look, Yakupov is probably my favorite player on the team after Hall but the kid is very unpredictable and erratic at times in the offensive zone. Actually, last game he didn't look good until he was put back with Hemsky and Gagner. Those two have done an absolutely fine job with him so far this season and all 3 seemed to be developing more chemistry with each passing game.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
488fitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I'm going to bet all mine on LA too, it's not real money and I'm trying to buy the Oil a win...
One of us will be HF broke by the end of the night

Old
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
Belanger is the only player on the active roster with a respectable face off win percentage. He has a role to play, and it usually starts in the defensive zone. Players play their position, and on a well functioning team - or unit - they understand this role. Fickle fans on these boards yell for role players and then are critical if/when they get them. Belanger is very good at what he does, and on the Oilers Belanger's skill set is golden (that is, with top two centers like Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins - the latter of the two, I have to admit, is improving, as he should).

That being said, I don't really agree with Yakupov on the third line either, I would rather see a defensively sound player like Paajarvi on the third line doing what a third liner should be doing (I am a traditionalist, I still believe each line has a well defined role to play if the team is going to be successful). I also hate all this line juggling... I am no hockey coach, but I question how chemistry can be expected to form when 3/4 of the forwards are asked to play with a different line dynamic/combination, seemingly, each and every game. I will trust in Krueger on this however. He is the coach and I am just some person posting on HF boards, which I assure you he isn't reading looking for line suggestions.

Calvinguy predicts 'our' face off win percentage is going to be somewhere around 30%-40%, and I agree (if 'we' are lucky) and suggest that most of the struggles we are going to see on the dot will come in the King's zone. Belanger will do what he does, and even against a formidable row of centers he will finish the game with a respectable win %. 'Our' first and especially second line however will probably lose a lot more than they win, giving the King's possession of the puck in their own end and necessitating the Oil regaining entry into the King's zone. It will be a challenge, and hopefully one the Oil is up for. It has been a struggle in past games. Kudos to them if they can overcome a very real hurdle and win... it could be every bit the character/experience building sort of game that the come back of the last game was. And 'we' need a winning streak and the points that come with it. I want the Oil to be buyers (even minor buyers) at the deadline, meaning that I am wanting playoff hockey... even though 'we' are rebuilding. And for what it is worth, if the Oil are in the playoff hunt 'you' will not see Belanger traded - unless he has requested a trade.

Go Oil! I want to say 5-2 Oil, with an empty netter. And a certain player will get an assist on that empty netter, and people will be arguing for his value, saying: "Look he 'scored' in another game, how can you say he isn't a capable 2nd line center?" Okay, admittedly, now I am just being an @$$ (and a little facetious).

I want to say 5-2 Oil, what I am expecting is a low scoring affair that could go either way. The Oil's saving grace may be that Krueger should be getting the line matchups he wants.

Go Oil!
BadMedicen is that you?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I agree that it sucks we get the first game of back-to-backs, but as far as teams playing their starters against us, good, shows we're improving and teams have to take us seriously.

Dallas loses against us if Lehtonen wasn't in net.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
If the Oilers can come out firing like they did the past two games, I like their chances. That said I can't help but temper my expectations.

Closed Thread