HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What do we need to happen?

Old
03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
flyaz4life

vCash: 500
What do we need to happen?

Hey guys, seeing our flyers on the bubble this year is quite alarming and as much as we hate to admit it, if we do not string together consecutive wins, we probably will need help to make the playoffs this year.

I am creating this thread as a place where we can come and discuss what needs to happen with other teams to help our Flyers get ahead. With all inter-conference play, the standings are constantly changing and I think it will be fun to analyze what outcomes will help us out the most.

I will start with tonight: There is only one eastern conference game, Toronto vs Ottawa.

Both teams sit ahead of us in the standings but Ottawa looks to be on the reels more than the Buds. I think for the Flyers to get ahead it is in our best interest to *sigh* cheer for the Leafs to take this one.

I dunno, it was just an idea I had that I thought would be something fun for us Flyer fans to do especially on off-days to keep up the chatter.

Mods, if you dont like this thread, feel free to delete it.

Cheers!

flyaz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
whskybarJM

a cup parade.

this is getting ridiculous

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

If we have to cheer for other teams and/or need other teams to lose to get ourselves into a playoff position, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs imo. I'll die before I root for Pitts/Jersey/Boston to beat another team to help us get closer to the playoffs.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:13 AM
FlyersFan61290

We need other teams to lose when the flyers play them. If that happens enough times the flyers will make the playoffs.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:41 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
This team is just so... mediocre...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:46 AM
dats81

Homer should never have drafted Laughton. I know he was the BPA in their eyes at this point but this team does not need another center and Laughton, no matter how well he is developing, is not an eye catcher and can't be traded for a high end talent on defense without adding significantly .

Had Homer picked a defenseman last year, the outlook for next season would be brighter because we would likely have somebody who fits a need long term and may have gotton his feet wet by now.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:54 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Danny Briere needs to get hot. He is a streaky guy, he needs to go on tear.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Homer should never have drafted Laughton. I know he was the BPA in their eyes at this point but this team does not need another center and Laughton, no matter how well he is developing, is not an eye catcher and can't be traded for a high end talent on defense without adding significantly .

Had Homer picked a defenseman last year, the outlook for next season would be brighter because we would likely have somebody who fits a need long term and may have gotton his feet wet by now.
The thing is, even if we drafted a d-man, he probably would of been rushed (been up here too soon) and wouldn't have turned out as well. Even though a TON of d-men were taken the top 10, outside of them, I can't see any of them being the #1 we would be looking for. I find that the 2013 draft for d-men is deeper and has d-men positioned where we want them for drafting (probably). In the bottom 15 of the 1st round for 2012, it was Ceci, Maatta, Matheson, Schmaltz and Skjei, and I could see at BEST they would be #2 d-men, probably a #3 on most teams. 2013 there are players like Morrissey, Pulock, Ristolainen, Hagg and Subban that could be picked late in the 1st or even into the 2nd round. I feel they could possibly be more effective than those drafted late in the 1st round last year...

Sorry if I just ranted there a bit. Maybe I'm hyping up the draft a little much, dunno...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:13 AM
JustJim

What the Flyers need more than anything is for Holmgren to be fired. They need to get a GM who knows how the game is played in the 21st century, instead of constantly trying reshape the Broad Street Bullies....who are over 35 years out of style.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post

You always take the best player available. When you reach you have problems. #1 D-Men are hard to find. This team has young talent so blowing it up wouldn't be a great option. Ive been saying it for a while. This team needs to move Briere and Meszaros. I think the Flyers can get a first for Briere no problem and Meszaros can get a 2nd. If you dont want picks getting propects would work too.

Next Year lineup should look similar too

Hartnell-Giroux-Vorachek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
xxx-Couts-xxx
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
McGinn

Kimmo-Schenn
Coburn-Grossman
xxx-xxx
Gervais

Bryz
xxx

Assuming you have a million dollar backup that roster is only going to cost. Roughly 48-49 million. You would essentially have 15 million in cap space to fill 4 roster spots. You would have the assets acquired in the Mez and Briere deals. All you would have to do is make sure you dont overspend so you are able to retain Schenn, Couts, Giroux and Reader the following year. But next year the Flyers can really go for it, if they fall short you still have your buyouts which you can axe Bryz and free up more cap room and try to reshape the team.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:44 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
What the Flyers need more than anything is for Holmgren to be fired. They need to get a GM who knows how the game is played in the 21st century, instead of constantly trying reshape the Broad Street Bullies....who are over 35 years out of style.
How exactly is he doing that? Flyers have loads of talent up front plenty of skill and honestly not a whole lot of physicality outside of Hartnell, Schenn, Sinmonds and Rinaldo. I wouldn't call that the Broad street bullies to any degree.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Boston and LA are probably the closest teams to the bullies and they both won the Cup in the last couple of years. They have big, tough players who are also skilled

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
You always take the best player available. When you reach you have problems. #1 D-Men are hard to find. This team has young talent so blowing it up wouldn't be a great option. Ive been saying it for a while. This team needs to move Briere and Meszaros. I think the Flyers can get a first for Briere no problem and Meszaros can get a 2nd. If you dont want picks getting propects would work too.

Next Year lineup should look similar too

Hartnell-Giroux-Vorachek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
xxx-Couts-xxx
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
McGinn

Kimmo-Schenn
Coburn-Grossman
xxx-xxx
Gervais

Bryz
xxx

Assuming you have a million dollar backup that roster is only going to cost. Roughly 48-49 million. You would essentially have 15 million in cap space to fill 4 roster spots. You would have the assets acquired in the Mez and Briere deals. All you would have to do is make sure you dont overspend so you are able to retain Schenn, Couts, Giroux and Reader the following year. But next year the Flyers can really go for it, if they fall short you still have your buyouts which you can axe Bryz and free up more cap room and try to reshape the team.
This.
Trade Briere/Timonen and Meszaros + for a proven first pairing defenseman who can eat minutes and moves the puck well. The question is just how big the '+' will have to be...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Well tonight we have a lot of action in the NHL. Two games are especially interesting if you are looking at both tanking or making the playoffs.

Now if you are looking to lose and get the best draft pick you can manage, two games that are very interesting is Winny/Tampa and Florida/Caps. All four of these teams are below us in the standings. A win by either of these teams will make them jump us if we lose tonight. Caps and Florida have 19 points respectively, but Florida has two more games. If you want to tank, you want Florida to win in overtime.

Now if you are looking to make the playoffs the biggest concern is taking care of business in your house. Beyond that you hope for the Islanders to beat the Rangers and Buffalo to beat the Devils.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
I understand not giving up but...unless we get Rediculously hot in the playoffs we have no shot of winning. Trade Briere Fedotenko Meszaros but I wouldn't be against keeping Mez I really think we need to keep Gagne we won't get much in trade unless he picks it up big before deadline. I think keeping him would be smart. I would have said to trade kimmo until we resigned him. I can't see us trading him after resigning him. We really don't have much to trade to get picks back. We need to get Bishop also!! While he's not to expensive to trade for or pay him

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Prongo
Beer

Alright well today for the tanking crew we would need the Flyers to lose. We have Washington and NYI playing. Preferably you want the game to go to overtime with Washington winning. You also hope for a Tampa Bay win over Montreal today. Detroit is playing Columbus, who probably will roll them over. Columbus has been playing good hockey as of late though. Also Calgary plays the Kings tonight.

For the people who believe the playoffs are an option we need Toronto to lose(I don't think we win our division) Then we need to take care of our own business against the Bruins.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:06 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

WE could start by NOT trailing after the 1st period....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7221--nhl.html

If we lead after 2 period we are one of the best teams in the league.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Boston and LA are probably the closest teams to the bullies and they both won the Cup in the last couple of years. They have big, tough players who are also skilled
And, much as I hate to say it, one of these two teams have at least two top 6 good forwards who, at one time, were the future of the Flyers.

moosehead81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
And, much as I hate to say it, one of these two teams have at least two top 6 good forwards who, at one time, were the future of the Flyers.
and took them to a cup with Bouch and leighton. Leighton was our starting starting goalie for the cup finals. leighton.

after all these years with goalies they allowed this team to be in the position to have 2 backup goalies carry us through the playoffs into the stanley cup.

so what was the next logical step?

Eh, lets give it one more year
  • blow it up
  • sign not just a russian, a russian goalie, to a hefty contract.
  • completely, and I mean completely, ignore the D prospect pool.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Codith

We need to realize this season is a bust, and we need to continue sucking for another month so we can pray that we get a top3 pick. That is what needs to happen at the very least. We also need to add some young defensemen to this team, a new coach and a new system, and a young goalie who can take over for Bryz if we do indeed amnesty him.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
JustJim

When I was referring to the Broad Street Bullies type hockey, I didn't actually mean the goon style. I was referring to that annoying "dump & chase" style that the Flyers of that era used. I know this because I've been a Flyers fan since their second year of existence.
Holmgren still acquires "muckers & grinders" to flesh out this team, and they still play that annoying and useless, ineffectual style of "dump & chase".
Knock-knock-knock, hello! In case you haven't noticed, the "dump & chase" doesn't work!
The "muckers & grinders" don't possess the talent to shoot and score. Yeah sure, they "work hard and leave nothing on the ice" as Clarke/Holmgren says, however they simply pass around the puck without actually firing a shot at the net.
Guys like Hartnell, Rinaldo, Talbot and his girlfriend Gervais, may be popular, but they're not very talented.
Holmgren traded away decent players, ( who won the Stanley Cup last season ), and made a desperation move of over-paying and signing an experimental goalie to an impossible long term contract.
The players on the Flyers with long term contracts are very similar to teachers with tenure. They fill a spot on the team without expending any effort. They're being paid a great amount of money no matter how little they do....and they're doing the minimal this year.
Holmgren needs to go! Now!!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
At this point, I don't know for sure what needs to happen...but I'm pretty sure it involves large meteors.