HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs top 10 in both offense and D

Old
02-19-2013, 04:10 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Leafs top 10 in both offense and D

Just looked it up on NHL.com we are top 10 in both offense and D and Carlyle is largely the reason why TB is the highest scoring offense in the NHL but the D is 24th it gives me a level of confidence that we can take this game not a slam dunk but doable

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:11 AM
HappyGilmourr

back to backs are always tough. We're hot though with 6 out of our last 7. Does Scrivens play again?

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
back to backs are always tough. We're hot though with 6 out of our last 7. Does Scrivens play again?
I think he has to like I said TB is the highest scoring offense in the NHL you gotta guy with the hot hand

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Darcy Tucker

I'm just lovin the leafs and their style of play this season. i dont go into games fearing teams or players anymore. we are solid and can hang with anybody.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:09 AM
pucky

Any high ranking in D is not due to the defence but the goaltending.

40 shots (against) on goal every game doesn't indicate good defence. Are they outshot every game? It sure seems like it.

If there was a ranking for most overrated team, they'd probably be #1 at that.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post

40 shots (against) on goal every game doesn't indicate good defence. Are they outshot every game? It sure seems like it.

In those games though, HOW many second chances are there? That's the most important thing to me so far, IMHO. We expect our goalies to make saves, and although Scrivens was great tonight, he didn't have to make any spectacular saves. Just make the first save, and let the team take care of the rebounds.

Teams may get a lot of shots against the Leafs, but I don't believe most are all that dangerous, as long as we are still the first to the rebounds.

The Leafs are also scoring goals, that limits the shots you accumulate throughout a game. While other teams try to bang in rebounds or continue to cycle and get pucks towards the net, all of that is negated if a goal is scored.

Last edited by Wolfgang Krauser: 02-19-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:25 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Also didn't Boston have an average of something like 35 shots a game against them in the playoffs on route to their Stanley Cup?

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:15 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:

Negative to very end.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:23 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
I'm just lovin the leafs and their style of play this season. i dont go into games fearing teams or players anymore. we are solid and can hang with anybody.
what a difference a good coach makes .....carlyle has impressed me ...and once the leafs get rid of the other ron wilson /burke favourites .....this club might be a solid contender ...i say kudos to carlyle and the players who have bought into the system
u can see tho ....its no place for soft hockey ......u earn your money under carlyle

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:38 AM
SteveV*

Considering over a third of roster is different from last year, any comparisons are sort of irrelevant.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:46 AM
AuGsY

loving carlyle right now, hes done wonders for this team.

AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:

If you watched the games, you'd know that the 40 shots a game is highly overrated when 70% of those shots are perimiter shots that the goaltender easily stopped.

Yawn.

It sure beats getting 40 shots a game and not being able to get a goal.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:53 AM
CoveySteele

The leafs were regularly outshooting opponents the past few seasons and where did it get them? When teams play from behind (or a fear of going behind) they tend to throw everything on goal.

What we are watching is a well structured team taking quality scoring chances with bodies in front of the net. That means a strong cycle game and lots of movement in the offensive zone. All of these new schemes equal less shots on goal.

In response to the leafs being so well structured we are seeing opponents shoot from any angle in an attempt to get a player/goalie out of position leading to high shot totals. Not that the defense has been perfect (far from it) but maple leaf forwards are coming back to hound players like dogs on the back check leading to more dump and chase play.

When you hold them to the outside you control play, frustrate opponents and cause turnovers that are easy to carry out into scoring chances.

We are watching this team transform into one with an identity and I, as a leafs lifer, am quite proud of the direction.

CoveySteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
AuGsY

You can't only take total shots into account when judging a teams Defense, scoring chances is a more important stat.

AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Donmega

Watching the last couple games there where times when it looked like defence was going to leave scrivens out to dry. If anyone but the hot scrivens was playing it would have been high scoring losses.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:37 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Negative to very end.
I Disagree.

I tend to agree with him somewhat, and while I'm happy we are winning, I'm still concerned we're getting out-chanced and out-shot most games. Most teams that are bottom-5 in shots allowed aren't playoff teams.

Our special teams has been much better, and yes I've noticed that lots of shots are from non-scoring areas/zones, and we're giving up fewer odd-man rushes. Our goalies are also no longer playing eccentrically - they remain in their crease and don't over commit. That's huge for us.

But the overall shots per game do concern me.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:

Tip of the day. Number of shots isn`t as important as the quality of shots.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Man Bear Pig

Shots are quality vs quantity. What does it matter how many shots are on net if almost all of them wouldn't go in on a beer league goalie?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:48 AM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:

Talk about overrated, because that's the importance of the Shots against. The defence is limiting the opposition to many outside shots.
I mentioned this yesterday: if the goalie only has to make one or two good saves a game, as is the case in the last month, the defence is doing its job.

It's a team mentality that's winning us games, which is true to Carlyle's philosophy.
Scrivens and Reimer making 30-35 extremely easy and visible saves is a testament to the Defence.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:53 AM
dubplatepressure

Interestingly, I can't find a source online that tracks & publishes scoring chances data. Hopefully someone else has a link?

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:57 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
Under Wilson the Leafs could never protect a lead. They always fell apart in close games. Nice to see them protect a lead.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I Disagree.

I tend to agree with him somewhat, and while I'm happy we are winning, I'm still concerned we're getting out-chanced and out-shot most games. Most teams that are bottom-5 in shots allowed aren't playoff teams.

Our special teams has been much better, and yes I've noticed that lots of shots are from non-scoring areas/zones, and we're giving up fewer odd-man rushes. Our goalies are also no longer playing eccentrically - they remain in their crease and don't over commit. That's huge for us.

But the overall shots per game do concern me.
Don't disagree that they're being outshot but to be honest I don't care provided the puck stays out of the net. I remember all to well the poor goaltending we've had years past, where our offense was buzzing all around their net and being shut out by a hot goaltender, only to have the other team respond with an easy goal.

It's actually nice to be on the other side for a change (being outshot but still winning the games).

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Ari91

Quote:

Shots against is less important if quality chances are limited (which the team has improved on compared to years past). They are getting solid goaltending which is also a nice change. The Leafs still have their moments where they're scrambling in their own zone and the goalie has to come up big but for the most part, they're good at boxing out their opponents so that their goalie can see the shots and they're good at picking up the rebounds. You're taking one stat and formulating an entire statement around it when the reality is that the statement you're making requires more than a shots against stat to make the point. You've demonstrated that you don't know how to put together and analyze stats and apply them accordingly. Good for you I guess.

Last edited by Ari91: 02-19-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:36 AM
david999

I have zero problems watching the Leafs get outshot and winning games. Under Wilson it was the exact opposite. The shot clock statistic can be very misleading, especially when most of those shots are not dangerous.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Ash35

If anyone has a problem with how many shots they are giving up must not be watching the games. They allow very few 2 on 1's, 3 on 2's, breakaways, second chances and point blank scoring chances. The exact opposite was true last season. Reimer and Schivens have only needed to be good not great to win us games this year. Team defense along with steady goaltending is the reason why our goals against is down.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote