HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did Owen Nolan do the greatest thing in hockey history at 1997 All-Star Game?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:13 PM
skroonk2002*

vCash: 500
Did Owen Nolan do the greatest thing in hockey history at 1997 All-Star Game?

I will refer to the Wikipedia entry on this one:

Quote:
The Nolan Point

The "Nolan Point" in the National Hockey League refers to a specific hand gesture made by NHL player Owen Nolan during the 1997 NHL All Star Game. In the NHL and in most sports both Nationally and Internationally, such a gesture is colloquially referred to as a "called shot". Similar to that of Babe Ruth's called shot in the MLB (Authenticity Contested) and of other athletes from various sports. Called shots are not to be confused with "predictions" as both are inherently different in nature. By their nature, called shots are unforeseen, unscripted and typically take place during gameplay while predictions are claimed prior to engagement. The significance and high regard of "Nolan's Point" is based upon multiple considerations: (1) The fact that it took place during an All Star Game where the on ice talent is the greatest in the NHL. (2) The point was directed towards legendary goaltender Dominik Hasek. Hasek is widely considered to be the greatest goaltender in NHL history along with Terry Sawchuk, Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy. Scoring on Hasek in any type of game or situation was highly difficult. A "point and score" on Hasek was, prior to the occurrence, considered risky or a long shot. (3) Earlier in that same game, Nolan set an NHL All Star Game record by scoring two goals 8 seconds apart. (4) The Point Gesture goal was a goal that completed a hat trick for Nolan. (5) The spectacular set of events that occurred for Nolan took place at the San Jose Arena in which the Sharks play. Nolan was at that time, a member of the Sharks playing in front of his home crowd. (6) The nature and dynamics of Hockey Game Play makes a called shot in the NHL far more difficult than other sports as the shooter must contend with a manned post intending to stop the shooter. (7) It is generally considered to be the only called shot in NHL history with no records or claims before or after the occurrence.
I will cite this, using APA format:

Wikipedia. (2013, February 20). Owen Nolan. Retrieved from " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Nolan ", on February 23 2013.

skroonk2002* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:16 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Nope

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

I mean no, he didn't do the coolest thing in hockey history. It was really cool though - one of the best moments in All-Star game history that's for sure.

In front of his San Jose Sharks fans he scored a hat-trick and they gave the MVP to Recchi, who had one more assist. That was a shame.

Although as my name would suggest this 1997 all-star game goal was my favorite:

Last edited by Rocket of Russia: 02-22-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Rocket of Russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Clowe Me

Greatest is subjective, but I thought it was awesome and original.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:21 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
No. Sakic did.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Fox Trax!

02-22-2013, 11:25 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

I'm just glad you cited Wikipedia using APA. If you had used MLA I would have flipped ****.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 PM
davebenj

Personally, I think laughing at Barnaby during a fight was the best Nolan moment for me lol.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:28 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Breakaway in an all-star game, you're expected to score. Greatest thing in hockey history? Nope. Cool though.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
I mean no, he didn't do the coolest thing in hockey history. It was really cool though - one of the best moments in All-Star game history that's for sure.

In front of his San Jose Sharks fans he scored a hat-trick and they gave the MVP to Recchi, who had one more assist. That was a shame.

Although as my name would suggest this 1997 all-star game goal was my favorite:

The Russian announcer sounds like he's commentating a baseball game, geez.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 PM
SnowblindNYR

I think this point is overrated, he pointed in the general direction of the net. Not like he pointed where he'll shoot and shot there. It also took no balls at all. He gets saved, Doc laughs for a second and it's forgotten in 2 minutes. So in essence it was humorous and original more than anything. It wasn't all that special since he just called a goal, not the placement of the puck and it took no guts since no one would care if he missed in an All Star game (obviously it would be different in a real game).

Old
02-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

No.

However, I would certainly be curious to see what the end result is of a large-scale discussion on what exactly the greatest moment in hockey history was. And as part of that, it would include both positive and negative viewpoints on each moment that would be required reading.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I couldn't find the clip of Doc Emmerick calling the goal. "Sundin on ahead to Pavel Bure...Bure...Score!"

Rocket of Russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Man, Joe Buck sounds more excited than he ever has in his life.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

Quote:
(1) The fact that it took place during an All Star Game where the on ice talent is the greatest in the NHL.
Its a game of shinny.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Big Phil

1997 was one of those rare all-star games I watched in the entirety. I don't know, maybe something about Gretzky and Lemieux on the same team sparked some interest. Anyway, Hasek was playing unreal in that game and while it is still just a pond hockey game I thought it was rather poetic what Nolan did. Let's not forget either, he labelled a great shot against the best goalie in the world. It was almost Lemieux-like. It was a perfect storm for that to happen and it was neat but when you don't do something in a real game situation it doesn't matter as much.

Does anyone remember when Bure scored that goal against Boston where he burst down the wing kicked the puck to his stick and scored? Nice right? Well, sort of. It was a preseason game for those that don't remember. It wasn't a game in March or even December. So to answer the original question, Nolan's called shot was a neat thing to see but if you want to go down in history do what Babe Ruth did in the 1932 World Series and call a homerun (even though there have been conflicting reports on that since)

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:29 AM
SnowblindNYR

I didn't actually read that writeup. The fact that it was Hasek made it more impressive. Still, the point, while original an humorous doesn't make it any more or less difficult considering it was an All Star game. No one would care or remember if he missed the net. To me this is WAY more impressive, even in an All Star game:

Quote:
(3) Earlier in that same game, Nolan set an NHL All Star Game record by scoring two goals 8 seconds apart.