Notices

a snowy rumor

Old
02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
a snowy rumor

The way the Capitals are strug-a-ling wonder what the Bruins would offer if George McPhee called and offered hometown boy John Carlson to the Bruins.

Caps GM George McPhee would be or is looking for a few things and they are a likely- the best combination of skilled/character and toughness he could find on the backend and a high end offensive center. Carlsson will or would have well over 20 suitors especially with that super duper friendly contract.

Carlson is a local kid and former London Knight is a hardcore Red Sox and Patriots fan and would think would not mind playing here- that part is a guess but probably accurate. Chiarelli hasn't checked in with me and he did pass on him draft day for Joe Colborn but I do think Chiarelli would be interested and is.

Just tossing this out there- its steep and file it under love it, hate it, whataya think....where does the scale go on this....does it tip way to much to Washington, to Boston, or level....

Carlson for Boychuk, McQuaid, and Koko

Why Boston would do this-

they pick up a top young defenseman with a ridiculous cap friendly hit, with character and even though still evolving and not wart free he should grade out as a very good player for years.

Boston would have a top 4 of Chara-Dougie and Seidenberg-Carlson, they could resign Ference if they chose to and break in one of the kids at Providence or go with AJ the rest of the year and still have depth

Boston also gets Cap relief as Carlsson makes not much more than Boychuk and they also free up some contracts as they are up against the 50

WHY WASHINGTON

Boston gives up two defenseman- both probably in the 4-6 range but character guys, hard nosed and Bruins types. Like them both and why the Caps would to.

It would give the Caps toughness and players who have won- McQuaid to me is Assistant Captain material.

Koko would be the plum and he should have been a first rounder and is projecting right now as a top 6 talent. He can probably play wing in Boston if he has to, but would be a potential center for Ovechkin.

please no Chris Kelly- to get this guy, if you even want him will probably have to include Koko. I'm hearing people are impressed or maybe intrigued with what he can be. You give Carlsson you need defenseman back and lets face it McPhee played that way as a player and I think its a mortal lock McQuaid would be in it- and probably Johnny as well.

I don't see how Boston does not do this but it comes down to Khokhlachev and what his upside is. I'm hearing its quite high and the Caps may agree with this,

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Has Koko ever skated with Ovi?
Do they know each other?

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Shaun

I'd hate to trade Koko but Carlson is a great player and Boychuk's contract is awful.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

I'd hate to lose those two guys. Boychuk seems to get a bad rap around here (especially after he signed his latest contract) but I think he's a #3. McQuaid is a bottom pairing guy but a damn good one. He's an essential part of this team's overall toughness and "don't **** with us" swagger and attitude.

But I'd definitely consider it.

EDIT: Can't really comment on Koko, only saw him in one game in the World Juniors a couple months ago. I like what I saw but it was just one game.

02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
The way the Capitals are strug-a-ling wonder what the Bruins would offer if George McPhee called and offered hometown boy John Carlson to the Bruins.

Caps GM George McPhee would be or is looking for a few things and they are a likely- the best combination of skilled/character and toughness he could find on the backend and a high end offensive center. Carlsson will or would have well over 20 suitors especially with that super duper friendly contract.

Carlson is a local kid and former London Knight is a hardcore Red Sox and Patriots fan and would think would not mind playing here- that part is a guess but probably accurate. Chiarelli hasn't checked in with me and he did pass on him draft day for Joe Colborn but I do think Chiarelli would be interested and is.

Just tossing this out there- its steep and file it under love it, hate it, whataya think....where does the scale go on this....does it tip way to much to Washington, to Boston, or level....

they pick up a top young defenseman with a ridiculous cap friendly hit, with character and even though still evolving and not wart free he should grade out as a very good player for years.

Boston would have a top 4 of Chara-Dougie and Seidenberg-Carlson, they could resign Ference if they chose to and break in one of the kids at Providence or go with AJ the rest of the year and still have depth

Boston also gets Cap relief as Carlsson makes not much more than Boychuk and they also free up some contracts as they are up against the 50

WHY WASHINGTON

Boston gives up two defenseman- both probably in the 4-6 range but character guys, hard nosed and Bruins types. Like them both and why the Caps would to.

It would give the Caps toughness and players who have won- McQuaid to me is Assistant Captain material.

Koko would be the plum and he should have been a first rounder and is projecting right now as a top 6 talent. He can probably play wing in Boston if he has to, but would be a potential center for Ovechkin.

please no Chris Kelly- to get this guy, if you even want him will probably have to include Koko. I'm hearing people are impressed or maybe intrigued with what he can be. You give Carlsson you need defenseman back and lets face it McPhee played that way as a player and I think its a mortal lock McQuaid would be in it- and probably Johnny as well.

I don't see how Boston does not do this but it comes down to Khokhlachev and what his upside is. I'm hearing its quite high and the Caps may agree with this,
Bruins problem is not defence its scoring and you want to hand them one of the top young upcoming scorers they have in their system for a D man that quite franky is hardly a stud.He is ok with 1 g and 5 a in 12 games but not all that.I know you were just throwing that out there but Bruins would need more back in that deal.My problem with the deal is giving up KOKO,,

Last edited by 22Brad Park: 02-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.
22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Good god yes... that is all.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:11 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Carlson is a young first pairing D man. You get him if you can. That package is OK by me.

The D corps is looking old right now I understnad being hesitant on Ference

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Teams at the bottom of the barrel are usually looking to acquire talented young defensemen, not trying to give them away.

I think they could do a lot better than Boychuk, McQuaid, and Koko if they were to move Carlson.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

No way Caps take that for a young stud D. They would need more than that imo. If anything, they try to trade Green for something big to shake up the team.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Topshelf88
HFBoards Sponsor

It'd probably take Knight, Koko, and Boychuk, and even then I think it's a maybe from the Caps. I'd do it in a heartbeat though.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
I this thread

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
MTaylorJ1

Not only would I do it, I'd add to it and bring Krug up as well.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Not a fan of losing McQuaid. I really like his toughness and willingness. More of it has to think its because he has grown on me. If we had M.Stuart or a replacement with more SNARL then it would be alot easier to handle.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Don't like trading Darth

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I this thread
when you are sucking like the Caps are you have to explore everything and Carlson from what I hear is NOT untoucheable, and the Bruins may have a bit of a 'crush' on him

I'd be very surprised if Ottawa, the Flyers, and others haven't checked in on him...I think we may start hearing his name in some league rumors soon if they already arent.

Boston could get him and McPhee and Chiarelli & Co. are buds aren't they so I'm sure communication would not be a problem

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
BruinsPortugal

lool woulndt even think twice.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Lord Ahriman

Koko in the deal isn't good, but you have to give to get.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
when you are sucking like the Caps are you have to explore everything and Carlson from what I hear is NOT untoucheable, and the Bruins may have a bit of a 'crush' on him

I'd be very surprised if Ottawa, the Flyers, and others haven't checked in on him...I think we may start hearing his name in some league rumors soon if they already arent.

Boston could get him and McPhee and Chiarelli & Co. are buds aren't they so I'm sure communication would not be a problem
I think "Flyers" is the operative word here. They're desperate for defense, and Holmgren isn't shy about making deals. If Washington is indeed willing to talk trade, put Philly in the forefront by a country mile.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
Not a fan of losing McQuaid. I really like his toughness and willingness. More of it has to think its because he has grown on me. If we had M.Stuart or a replacement with more SNARL then it would be alot easier to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Don't like trading Darth
Sorry, McQuaid is great and I'll always have a soft spot for him being a Maritime player, but guys like McQuaid can be had pretty easy, guys like Carlson, not so much.

All that said, hasn't Washington won 3 in a row?

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:59 PM
PJ StockBB

i don't want to give up McQuaid. if we can make the deal by taking him out and adding something else then I'd do it.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Sorry, McQuaid is great and I'll always have a soft spot for him being a Maritime player, but guys like McQuaid can be had pretty easy, guys like Carlson, not so much.

All that said, hasn't Washington won 3 in a row?
Agreed - if McQuaid is the most difficult guy to part with in a trade, it's one that has to be strongly considered.

I'm 101% behind this trade, even though I'd be down on losing McQuaid & Khokhlachev.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:09 PM
GoBs

Quote:

WHY WASHINGTON

Quote:
I this thread
OOG
Is this the rumor you were alluding to earlier?

Would love Carlson on this team at that cost I say go for it. Maybe try and keep Mcquiad if the Caps are as high as you believe they are on Khoko.

Last edited by GoBs: 02-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:15 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
I this thread
Was hoping to see you here.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:27 PM
MTaylorJ1

Just to level set here, Quaider is easily the 3rd most valuable piece in this deal.If we fell out of the playoff race at the deadline we couldn't get a piece nearly as good as Koko for him.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
OOG
Is this the rumor you were alluding to earlier?

Would love Carlson on this team at that cost I say go for it. Maybe try and keep Mcquiad if the Caps are as high as you believe they are on Khoko.
Can't or shall I say won't comment on it. Not at liberty to name names. However, if Dan is basing it on something he has heard, then you can trust him. If he is throwing it out there as an idea to see what we think of the deal, then take it as that.

Just a clarification though, I never alluded to any rumor (at least a pre-existing one), I did state as fact however, that a conversation had taken place, as it has with several NHL teams about potentially, the Caps making some deals.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote