HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tootoo is back in town. Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators, 7p.m.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
  #351
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,518
vCash: 500
I disagree on this point - if the Predators were to use that money, it might be a gain. Currently, they aren't, and no matter how you slice it, losing a top 10 defenseman is not good for your team. We were going to sign both Suter and Weber. We ended up with one, and did nothing to replace the other monetarily or organizationally (Hannan was brought in but bouillon also departed). Even from a organizational power prospective, we lost an elite asset for nothing and had to use our systems depth to sustain the massive loss in value that Suters departure cost us. Granted, the Preds were able and capable of doing so, but best case scenario, none of this happened, Suter had been traded, of we had acquired equal talent through free agency.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
  #352
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,994
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I disagree on this point - if the Predators were to use that money, it might be a gain. Currently, they aren't, and no matter how you slice it, losing a top 10 defenseman is not good for your team. We were going to sign both Suter and Weber. We ended up with one, and did nothing to replace the other monetarily or organizationally (Hannan was brought in but bouillon also departed). Even from a organizational power prospective, we lost an elite asset for nothing and had to use our systems depth to sustain the massive loss in value that Suters departure cost us. Granted, the Preds were able and capable of doing so, but best case scenario, none of this happened, Suter had been traded, of we had acquired equal talent through free agency.
disagree with you.

the money not spent is actually a blessing considering the cap is going down and how much we had to spend on Weber.

the money we would have spent on Suter will eventually allow us to keep Wilson, Josi, Ellis and Blum and not have to lose any of them in a few years because all our cash is tied up in Suter and Weber.

its pretty obvious our D is still rock solid even without another 100 million dollar deal.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
  #353
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I disagree on this point - if the Predators were to use that money, it might be a gain. Currently, they aren't, and no matter how you slice it, losing a top 10 defenseman is not good for your team. We were going to sign both Suter and Weber. We ended up with one, and did nothing to replace the other monetarily or organizationally (Hannan was brought in but bouillon also departed). Even from a organizational power prospective, we lost an elite asset for nothing and had to use our systems depth to sustain the massive loss in value that Suters departure cost us. Granted, the Preds were able and capable of doing so, but best case scenario, none of this happened, Suter had been traded, of we had acquired equal talent through free agency.
I agree that as of right now, we're losing the whole situation because we still haven't spent the money that Suter was supposed to get. It still irks me how ownership have come out and said multiple times that we will not be bottom spenders any more, yet here we are in the bottom of the league in spending again.

Trading Suter though, other than his off season rights, is a ridiculous idea to me. Good teams simply do not trade away their top talent when they are in a Cup run year. It just never happens. Trying to win in the playoffs that year was much more important than the risk of losing Suter to UFA. Giving up on Suter, basically tells everyone that we don't want to compete this year and are already cutting our losses. That kind of attitude is how you remain mediocre. At some point you have to "go for it."

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
  #354
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Actually we have spent the money that Suter was going to get, it's going to Weber.

Once his actual dollars comes down to a normal level, that should open up the door for a high dollar forward... of course what should happen and what actually happens are usually two very different things when Poile is in charge.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:51 PM
  #355
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Actually we have spent the money that Suter was going to get, it's going to Weber.

Once his actual dollars comes down to a normal level, that should open up the door for a high dollar forward... of course what should happen and what actually happens are usually two very different things when Poile is in charge.
No, ownership still said we would be bigger spenders even after the Weber offer sheet. Besides, Weber's salary is an investment. Pay more now, less later. It evens out over time and shouldn't affect our current spending, especially since we are selling out every game. Even if you count Weber's extra salary, we are still not close to the cap.

I totally get that there needs to be someone worth spending money on, so I'll give them a free pass for a while longer. Hopefully there will be lots of movement this off season with the cap dropping.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
  #356
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,978
vCash: 500
I'm not worried about salary issues. Brett Wilson has deep pockets so when we need to spend we will.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
  #357
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,994
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
No, ownership still said we would be bigger spenders even after the Weber offer sheet. Besides, Weber's salary is an investment. Pay more now, less later. It evens out over time and shouldn't affect our current spending, especially since we are selling out every game. Even if you count Weber's extra salary, we are still not close to the cap.

I totally get that there needs to be someone worth spending money on, so I'll give them a free pass for a while longer. Hopefully there will be lots of movement this off season with the cap dropping.
I truly believe ownership inteneded to sign Suter, Weber and Parise, which obviously would have put us at the cap or right up against it.

since they didnt, that monbey is there but just because they didnt spend it this summer(with a lockout looming and the cap iin doubt) shouldnt surprise anyone.

of course, to sign a top flight UFA, you have to have them want to come here, too....

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:55 AM
  #358
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I agree that as of right now, we're losing the whole situation because we still haven't spent the money that Suter was supposed to get. It still irks me how ownership have come out and said multiple times that we will not be bottom spenders any more, yet here we are in the bottom of the league in spending again.

Trading Suter though, other than his off season rights, is a ridiculous idea to me. Good teams simply do not trade away their top talent when they are in a Cup run year. It just never happens. Trying to win in the playoffs that year was much more important than the risk of losing Suter to UFA. Giving up on Suter, basically tells everyone that we don't want to compete this year and are already cutting our losses. That kind of attitude is how you remain mediocre. At some point you have to "go for it."
I agree that they keep Suter even if he would have told Poile at the All-Star Game that he was not going to re-sign in Nashville. But I think Poile feels misled by Suter. So Poile hung on to the bitter end, not trading his rights. Its always nice to get something over nothing, especially with the pundits saying this draft is a deep one.

I am with you about how the owners talk a big game but have yet to fully come through on it. I do acknowledge they had to come up with a truckload of actual cash to give Weber right away. The uncertainy of this lockout-shortened season I can also see playing a role.

However, if the upcoming UFAs end up hitting the market after the season, I will be expecting Poile to make a run at them.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.