HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Why does SJ have the worst prospect pool?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:52 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
It's worth noting that Ferraro has had a very good season so far and appears to be back on track. He's looking like an energy guy with scoring ability, especially on the PK. Last I checked, he led the AHL in SHG.
You hope very hard that Ferraro turns into a quality bottom-6 player. That isn't what you want from your 32nd overall pick.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
HockeyFan100
#FreeRedmond

vCash: 500
They shouldn't have traded away Sgarbossa. But, he's an Av now, so I'm okay with that.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:59 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
They shouldn't have traded away Sgarbossa. But, he's an Av now, so I'm okay with that.
No, they shouldn't have. But that's what Doug Wilson does. He trades prospects away for rentals that rarely work out. He also shouldn't have traded Nick Bonino for Kent Huskins and a couple months of Travis Moen. But here we are.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:05 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Scouts are great, but Wilson trades picks for rentals a lot though. And usually depth players for 1st or 2nd rounders, which doesn't help.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
You hope very hard that Ferraro turns into a quality bottom-6 player. That isn't what you want from your 32nd overall pick.
Why not? Detroit doesn't just need to rebuild its powerplay. Ferraro was drafted as a tweener with excellent speed, grit, and a good shot. Not every pick is aiming at a superstar.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Ferraro looks like he's on track to be the next Helm. I would absolutely trade the #32 pick for Darren Helm

Anchor Town is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNudge View Post
That's not a excuse, look at Detroit. They've been very competitve the last 20 years and counting. What do they do each year ? They found a diamond in a rough. The problem is the scout and the gm since it's is job to improve is team from the ground up.
They got lucky, more than anything. During that time, their two franchise forwards were 6th and 7th round picks, while their best player was a 3rd rounder who ended up being one of the best defensemen of all time.

Everybody gets lucky once in a while. Detroit just so happens to have done it three times.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:19 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
No, they shouldn't have. But that's what Doug Wilson does. He trades prospects away for rentals that rarely work out. He also shouldn't have traded Nick Bonino for Kent Huskins and a couple months of Travis Moen. But here we are.
I understand the dislike for trading Charlie Coyle, or Ty Wishart, or those 1st- and 2nd-round picks.

But would Bonino, Jay Barriball, or Sgarbossa have a spot on our roster right now?

Sgarbossa still has years to deveop, but given Bonino's skating issues, does he displace anyone on SJ's roster? With some confidence, I predict that had Wilson retained him, he would have moved him anyways to give him a chance elsewhere. Barriball isn't even in the NHL anymore...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:12 AM
syc

Isn't JFJ in charge of their scouting now?

But yeah they competed for a long time now so unless they find a hidden gem you can't expect much.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:54 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
While you may not want that, after his past 3 seasons which had him looking like a bust he has must definitely turned a corner now. He may not have the 30 goal potential that people might have though he once had but he does have 20-20 potential, he'll hopefully mature into a faster less physical Dan Cleary. That is somebody who I would be fine taking with a 32 overall pick.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Analyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
What's so special about him ? He does well in the AHL ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
First off, I said since 2005, which means after, so forget about Franzen, Abdelkader and the rest from those two years. Mathias isnt with the organization anymore, so he is no longer a Wing prospect and hasnt been for some time and the others you mentioned are NOT NHL regulars yet.

I have no dog in this fight, I dont really care one way or the other, which is the definition of unbiased.

I disagreed with the assertion that the Wings have maintained a top prospect pool while being cup contenders. That isnt the case over the last several years, as I have demonstrated.
Abdelkader is from the 05 draft...? you must mean from the 06 draft and onwards then. So let's try this again then, 06 gave us Emmerton, 07 Brendan Smith, 08 Nyquist. Mursak if he wasn't hurt all the time would have found his way into the lineup, Lashoff who was a FA signing in 08 is now a regular in the wings lineup. That is 3 or 4 regulars in a 3 year span, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that the wings didn't produce any regulars from those drafts? And again no wings fan is crazy enough to say that they did have a strong pool 6-8 years ago, now however it's a different story.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Keep in mind that a bunch of players in their current core (Pavelski, Clowe, Demers, Vlasic, Murray) were unheralded or late round picks as well. So while they may not have the glitziest prospect pool in terms of big names, they continue to get great value from the players that they do draft.

I not-so-boldly predict that in a couple of years Konrad Abeltshauser will be the next "how did they get him so late in the draft" player on their team.
I'd have to disagree with that. I've watched him dozens of times and he's horrible defensively. It's been an ongoing problem since day one. I can only imagine how exposed he'd be at a higher level..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
HockeyFan100
#FreeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
What's so special about him ? He does well in the AHL ?
That, and he lead the OHL with points last season. That's pretty good for a guy who was undrafted. And he's only 20.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Only one Finn.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote