HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Dany Heatley

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
  #26
unknown33
Registered User
 
unknown33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 2,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Which is great if you are not his fan, teammate, coach or GM.
How so?
Why is it not great that a player who isn't the right fit for the team leaves on his own?

Also I love that 'fans' comment on players that they don't even know personally life changing decisions like it's their buisness. Just because you buy his jersey a player isn't obliged to adjust his live accordingly to please fans of his current team.
Friends and family is what matters, not random people that will only support him because you happen to play on their team. (Different when the player has a connection to the team/city ofc)

Unhappy with his role in Ottawa, requested a trade - big deal.

Hate those double standards for 'famous' people.


Last edited by unknown33: 02-20-2013 at 11:49 AM.
unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
  #27
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince
 
Kellogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
My point was that Spezza and Alfredsson did most of the dirty work. Heatley was and is a floater who needs to play with superior players. He had plenty of size and talent but he never used it to win puck battles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
What do you mean superior talents, do you think that was the case when he was in Atlanta as well? This is a guy that represented Canada on many occations and did very well. Three times best forward in the World Championships, two times MVP and multiple scoring leads there. Sometimes he had Spezza there as well, outproducing him.
But i see you're from Ottawa so i reccon there might be some sour grapes present.
To say Heatley was always a floater needing superior players to make him successful is just wrong. When he first came to Ottawa he was certainly a dynamic player, less so than Spezza and Alfredsson but that could easily be attributed to his lack of speed due to the accident. This is what made the Pizza line so successfull and dangerous: all three could pass, make plays, win puck battles, shoot, score etc. Heatley did become a floater eventually, after he separated his shoulder. He was hesitant to initiate contact, avoided taking hits, to go into the dirty areas, to battle along the boards (which is where he got the check which resulted in the injury) and eventually dragged down the production of the Pizza line with him. Instead of being a guy who could do anything, he became content with being a pure shooter, however with declining foot speed and a predictable style of play, the only way for him to go was down unless he reinvented himself.

Mind you, together they were still point per game players (this in spite of having to play in Hartsburg incredibly stifling system), however they were never as dominant and they lost the ability to take over the game that they previously had. He still shows flashes of his old dynamic self. For example last year when Minnesota came into Ottawa, I thought Heatley played a hell of a game and looked like his old self. The problem is, these types of games are too few for him to be considered the same dominant player that he was years ago.

Edit to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
How so?
Why is it not great that a player who isn't the right fit for the team leaves on his own?

Also I love that 'fans' comment on players that they don't even know personally life changing decisions like it's their buisness. Just because you buy his jersey a player isn't obliged to adjust his live accordingly to please fans of his current team.
Friends and family is what matters, not random people that will only support him because you happen to play on their team. (Different when the player has a connection to the team/city ofc)

Unhappy with his role in Ottawa, requested a trade - big deal.

Hate those double standards for 'famous' people.
It wasn't just about wanting out of Ottawa, it was also the way he behaved surrounding that whole summer which basically guaranteed Ottawa wouldn't get a good return out of that deal. First, there was the way his trade request was made public, and although there is a possibility the leak came from the Senators' camp, I'm leaning more towards the Heatley camp being responsible given they were unhappy with the lack of progress being made in lining up suitors to trade for him. There was also the way he strung along Edmonton's management team when he never really had any intention of accepting a trade there. This also resulted in the July 1st deadline from passing which forced the Senators to pay him a $4 m bonus even though he never had any intention of playing for us again and let's face it, Ottawa is still a small market team, and that is a lot of cash to give away for nothing. There was also the strong sense of betrayal given it had been less than a year since this long term deal was in effect which included the NTC as assurances he wouldn't be move - Ottawa made a long term commitment to him and rightly so felt betrayed by it. There was also the fact he never answered or returned calls from the Captain. And finally there was also his dad going half-Lindros and injecting himself into the situation through the media.


Last edited by Kellogs: 02-20-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
  #28
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
Seems like Dany is a smart man who tries to change something when he is dislikes the situation.
If he dislikes the situation in multiple places maybe he should consider that he could do something himself to improve the situation without demanding a trade.

Heatley's record of demanding trades is pretty unique by any standard.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
  #29
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
To say Heatley was always a floater needing superior players to make him successful is just wrong. When he first came to Ottawa he was certainly a dynamic player, less so than Spezza and Alfredsson but that could easily be attributed to his lack of speed due to the accident. This is what made the Pizza line so successfull and dangerous: all three could pass, make plays, win puck battles, shoot, score etc. Heatley did become a floater eventually, after he separated his shoulder. He was hesitant to initiate contact, avoided taking hits, to go into the dirty areas, to battle along the boards (which is where he got the check which resulted in the injury) and eventually dragged down the production of the Pizza line with him. Instead of being a guy who could do anything, he became content with being a pure shooter, however with declining foot speed and a predictable style of play, the only way for him to go was down unless he reinvented himself.
This. Heatley became a real floater late in his Ottawa tenure, but that was only after the injuries.

I think he could have been a better all-around player more consistently in 05-06 and 06-07 - sometimes be became a bit dependent on waiting for Spezza to feed him - but he was definitely worse after his injury.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
  #30
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 34,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
Seems like Dany is a smart man who tries to change something when he is dislikes the situation.
You must be a big Alexei Yashin fan.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
  #31
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
If he dislikes the situation in multiple places maybe he should consider that he could do something himself to improve the situation without demanding a trade.

Heatley's record of demanding trades is pretty unique by any standard.
Who could criticize a guy for not wanting to go to Edmonton at that time? How long was his contract, if it was short, how about still being an RFA? He probably wanted to win something and perheps himself felt that he could'nt be the offensive dynamo on a team anymore. As someone said, fans only liked him becouse he played for their team.
I am in part an advocater for the salary cap, but in my heart feel that bigger fan bases deserves more success. He just made it so that he made the players more in control of their own destines. Leave it allready, there is worse things going on in the world than in the NHL.


Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-20-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:06 AM
  #32
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 480
a fair-weather teammate who pulled the pin on his team when he didn't get enough empty-net icetime. oh yeah, and the idiot who got his friend killed by driving like a maniac.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:28 AM
  #33
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
a fair-weather teammate who pulled the pin on his team when he didn't get enough empty-net icetime. oh yeah, and the idiot who got his friend killed by driving like a maniac.
You seem to be a fast guy when it comes to judging other people, young people with what i presume different lives and surroundings then you.
I'm telling all of you right now, Dany Heatley is one of the best hockey players i've ever met when it comes to what kind of connection, interest from his part received by me, i've met. And that's counting non-stars who often is more approachable due to different more or less obvious reasons. He was different, and i would'nt be surprised if it partly was becouse of the accident. That and more may have interfered with his situation in Ottawa, which i'm not very updated on, but i am sure, some of you OTTAWA FANS OUT THERE, will be more than willing to update me on.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
  #34
DrunkElkCZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brno, Czech Rep.
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 553
vCash: 377
It may be interesting for you guys in Canada and USA, that for me (and for many hockey fans in CZE/Europe) he'll be remembered as one of the best Canadian player at the WHCs.

DrunkElkCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:59 AM
  #35
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
You seem to be a fast guy when it comes to judging other people, young people with what i presume different lives and surroundings then you.
I'm telling all of you right now, Dany Heatley is one of the best hockey players i've ever met when it comes to what kind of connection, interest from his part received by me, i've met. And that's counting non-stars who often is more approachable due to different more or less obvious reasons. He was different, and i would'nt be surprised if it partly was becouse of the accident. That and more may have interfered with his situation in Ottawa, which i'm not very updated on, but i am sure, some of you OTTAWA FANS OUT THERE, will be more than willing to update me on.
fair enough. but this is the perception that i got, and i didn't get it out of thin air. when you sign a multi-year deal, then demand a trade just a year later, any misconception of your motives the public may have are brought on by one's self.

IOW, he made his bed.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:10 AM
  #36
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
fair enough. but this is the perception that i got, and i didn't get it out of thin air. when you sign a multi-year deal, then demand a trade just a year later, any misconception of your motives the public may have are brought on by one's self.

IOW, he made his bed.
Quite possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
There was something outlandish about him i have seldom, if ever seen in a hockey player. I took it as self confidence, self expressiveness and perhaps restlessness and creativeness, maybe that can fit in somewhere.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:12 AM
  #37
the edler
Inimitable
 
the edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
He was so good back then Ottawa had to add Greg de Vries in the Hossa deal.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:05 AM
  #38
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
My point was that Spezza and Alfredsson did most of the dirty work. Heatley was and is a floater who needs to play with superior players. He had plenty of size and talent but he never used it to win puck battles.
Too bad Spezza or Alfredsson have ever posted the same numbers as Heatley did in pre-lockout Atlanta.

89 points in 77 games, the guy could most certainly produce on his own, at a higher level then either of his line-mates ever did on their own.

He changed his style when he got to Ottawa, he was finding open spaces to be in and was good in front of the net, why would you want a guy with a top-5 shot in the NHL at the time doing "dirty work" instead of getting open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Maybe the crash did something to him but he's good with fans, better than many others of his stature.
Heatley has a pretty good reputation with the fans.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  #39
MarkusNaslund19
Registered User
 
MarkusNaslund19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
Heatley's decline is unique in that one can point to two specific incidents.

1. The mangling his knee/psychological ramifications of the car accident: In 02-03 he looked like what Jonathan Toews has become. He seemed like the kind of guy who would be able to will a team to victory. In fact, he looked to be a better player than Kovalchuk at that time.

Then he went to Ottawa. The numbers disagree, but he simply wasn't the same player. He was a good player on a great line. And make no mistake, he was a big part of it. But he wasn't an engine anymore. He was being propelled by others in a way.

Incident #2. He falls into the boards against Detroit. I remember this game. Both teams were vying for 1st overall in the league. I looked forward to it for weeks. Then Detroit stepped all over them, hurt Heatley, and neither the Senators or Heatley were ever the same after that game.

And since then it's just been sad. His mobility is gone, but I'm not certain of how badly he wants it at this point.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
  #40
Not a NHL Scout
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
In his prime, a top-10 player in the league. One of the best shots in the game, also sees the ice pretty well Nowadays you only see flashes of that. I think injuries have taken a toll on his movement. Also I remember hearing about playing with a broken arm/hand in SJ (?). At least in Minnesota he's got nothing but praise for his attitude and willingness to mentor younger guys. Maybe he's grown up a little.

Not a NHL Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
  #41
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Heatley's decline is unique in that one can point to two specific incidents.

1. The mangling his knee/psychological ramifications of the car accident: In 02-03 he looked like what Jonathan Toews has become. He seemed like the kind of guy who would be able to will a team to victory. In fact, he looked to be a better player than Kovalchuk at that time.

Then he went to Ottawa. The numbers disagree, but he simply wasn't the same player. He was a good player on a great line. And make no mistake, he was a big part of it. But he wasn't an engine anymore. He was being propelled by others in a way.

Incident #2. He falls into the boards against Detroit. I remember this game. Both teams were vying for 1st overall in the league. I looked forward to it for weeks. Then Detroit stepped all over them, hurt Heatley, and neither the Senators or Heatley were ever the same after that game.

And since then it's just been sad. His mobility is gone, but I'm not certain of how badly he wants it at this point.
For those of us that remember, say, the 2003 All-Star game then you'll remember his 4 goal performance. Yeah it is only the All-Star game, but at this time Heatley was primed to be a player that could be the best in the world. No one would have raised an eyebrow to that either. Heatley did seem to be a better individual talent. He carried the play more at that time too. 89 points in a sophomore year is unheard of in any era, almost. Put it this way, in September of 2003 I was in a hockey pool and got to pick 1st overall. I picked Dany Heatley. No joke. A week later I heard about a car accident he was in and I hoped it was minor, but of course we all know it was the Dan Snyder incident and Heatley missed most of the 2003-'04 season and I could forget about my pool.

Everyone would have picked Heatley as the better of the two between he and Kovalchuk pre-accident. At the time of the Hossa/Heatley trade the idea was that Ottawa got the better future and the better player. I too noticed Heatley's game change a bit. A little more reliant on his linemates. More of a Brett Hull-style of game to get open (I am not knocking it). Or maybe it was because Spezza is such a puck carrier himself. But the honest truth is that you felt Heatley had all the tools to be the best player in the game. He was never the same after his injury in 2007-'08. Still a good sniper, but a GOOD sniper, that's it. I knew something was up with him when he was teamed up with Thornton in San Jose and produced less than when he was with Spezza as his center. That shouldn't happen.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  #42
tombombadil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
As one of the most selfish, self-absorbed players in the history of the sport.
I've got a good friend who works out with Heatley when he's in the Okanagan during summer. He's gone golfing, and had some drinks with him, too. Heatley kept inviting him out because my buddy's a cool guy, and doesn't watch hockey, so didn't know him or kiss his ass. He had no idea who "Dan" was, just some friendly guy from the gym. That, and the fact that my friend says he's really cool, tells me he isn't the primadonna-type, at least.

As far as selfishness in the form of laziness towards his teams, ya I could see that. He is a huge underperformer, and really got his good years from being the 'shot' end of an incredible line, involving two other guys who work hard. He was young, Canadian, and the sniper - all of those traits bring a little more hype than being a set-up guy like Spezza, or a chicken Swede like Alf (I know Alf has won everyone's respect, and the old stereotypes aren't spoken in media, but on the street level and even in my own first impulses, the notion is that the big, 220lb Canadian kid is going to likely be the battler on the line) I think he benifitted more from being on that line than the other two.

Funny thing, my buddy also says that Heatley is a crappy training partner... doesn't work hard in there... I mean, its summertime, but i have a feeling that if you were unknowingly working out with Crosby or Datsyuk you might be suspicious that they were elite athletes just from their drive, even if you knew nothing about hockey.

So, I would say he's probably a good guy, who likes being rich, doesn't want noteriety, and just simply does not really care about winning Cups or breaking records. I'm not saying he doesn't care, just not like many other elite guys do.

As far as history goes, and this is assuming that he continues to fade, or plod around the 50-60 point mark.... he can't be ranked any higher than Bertuzzi, another giant guy with skill who was elite for a couple of seasons, and then floated around (or floated and grumbled in Todd's case)... I dunno - he's around the level of Rick Vaive, Tony Tanti, Palffy by the numbers, but i think Palffy did much more with much less around him....Reggie Leach?

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:32 PM
  #43
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
I've got a good friend who works out with Heatley when he's in the Okanagan during summer. He's gone golfing, and had some drinks with him, too. Heatley kept inviting him out because my buddy's a cool guy, and doesn't watch hockey, so didn't know him or kiss his ass. He had no idea who "Dan" was, just some friendly guy from the gym. That, and the fact that my friend says he's really cool, tells me he isn't the primadonna-type, at least.

As far as selfishness in the form of laziness towards his teams, ya I could see that. He is a huge underperformer, and really got his good years from being the 'shot' end of an incredible line, involving two other guys who work hard. He was young, Canadian, and the sniper - all of those traits bring a little more hype than being a set-up guy like Spezza, or a chicken Swede like Alf (I know Alf has won everyone's respect, and the old stereotypes aren't spoken in media, but on the street level and even in my own first impulses, the notion is that the big, 220lb Canadian kid is going to likely be the battler on the line) I think he benifitted more from being on that line than the other two.

Funny thing, my buddy also says that Heatley is a crappy training partner... doesn't work hard in there... I mean, its summertime, but i have a feeling that if you were unknowingly working out with Crosby or Datsyuk you might be suspicious that they were elite athletes just from their drive, even if you knew nothing about hockey.

So, I would say he's probably a good guy, who likes being rich, doesn't want noteriety, and just simply does not really care about winning Cups or breaking records. I'm not saying he doesn't care, just not like many other elite guys do.

As far as history goes, and this is assuming that he continues to fade, or plod around the 50-60 point mark.... he can't be ranked any higher than Bertuzzi, another giant guy with skill who was elite for a couple of seasons, and then floated around (or floated and grumbled in Todd's case)... I dunno - he's around the level of Rick Vaive, Tony Tanti, Palffy by the numbers, but i think Palffy did much more with much less around him....Reggie Leach?
if reggie leach had never done a thing in the playoffs, that would be a pretty good one. but yeah, rick vaive fits. hell, speaking of bertuzzi, how about markus naslund?

as for who was the better player pre-dan snyder between him and kovalchuk, i felt like the heatley hype was based on that all-star game, his passport, nobody acknowledging that he was two years older, and people looking at his frame and projecting him to develop into iginla one day. as i recall, though admittedly i didn't see a whole lot of heatley before the accident, he was really good at using his size to carry and protect the puck, but he was very far from the physical power forward people were talking like he was.

i also wondered out loud in the aftermath of the accident, would kovalchuk have gotten that huge amount of good will if it had been him and not heatley behind the wheel? and wouldn't you know it, heatley has thrown away all of that good will and then some.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:34 PM
  #44
eddytheeagle20
Registered User
 
eddytheeagle20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
i remember when he got traded to san jose i was watching nbc and keith jones saide he expected heatley to score 70 and thorntonj to get 100 assists i luaghed then and im still laughing and i liked heatley

eddytheeagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:10 PM
  #45
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a NHL Scout View Post
In his prime, a top-10 player in the league. One of the best shots in the game, also sees the ice pretty well Nowadays you only see flashes of that. I think injuries have taken a toll on his movement. Also I remember hearing about playing with a broken arm/hand in SJ (?). At least in Minnesota he's got nothing but praise for his attitude and willingness to mentor younger guys. Maybe he's grown up a little.
In 06-07 he is in the group of best 10 forwards in the world sure and maybe players, it's hard to be definitive when goalies and Dmen are thrown into the mix.

But even in his best peak 5 years, is he really a top 10 player or even forward? I'm not so sure and would lean on the no side.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rder_by=points

It's too bad, since after the 11 season he was still in the mix for a HHOF career but his play has declined rather swiftly.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
  #46
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if reggie leach had never done a thing in the playoffs, that would be a pretty good one.[/B] but yeah, rick vaive fits. hell, speaking of bertuzzi, how about markus naslund?

as for who was the better player pre-dan snyder between him and kovalchuk, i felt like the heatley hype was based on that all-star game, his passport, nobody acknowledging that he was two years older, and people looking at his frame and projecting him to develop into iginla one day. as i recall, though admittedly i didn't see a whole lot of heatley before the accident, he was really good at using his size to carry and protect the puck, but he was very far from the physical power forward people were talking like he was.

i also wondered out loud in the aftermath of the accident, would kovalchuk have gotten that huge amount of good will if it had been him and not heatley behind the wheel? and wouldn't you know it, heatley has thrown away all of that good will and then some.

Leach has one excellent playoff, but one has to wonder how much it was really him since he was apparently drunk in his 5 goal game, and 2 good ones. add in 1 excellent and 2 good seasons, is that really better than Heatley?

I think Heatley tops Vaive, Bertuzzi, Tanti and Nassy as well, we will know more when we do the wingers or RW project.

My bet is that Heatley will be on of those guys who gets more flack for what he wasn't rather than his actual record on the ice.

Kind of like a Phil Housley treatment.

His WC play, while not best on best is excellent as well, something that never hurts pre NHL Russians or even Czechs that much.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
  #47
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
He was so good back then Ottawa had to add Greg de Vries in the Hossa deal.
de Vries may have been a cap balancing addition...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
  #48
El Cohiba
Registered User
 
El Cohiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: under the sunshine
Country: Aruba
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Well I know I'll always remember Dany as a perpetual ********** All-Star Kidding aside, he'll likely just be remembered as a footnote in hockey history, a flash in the pan type of guy who had a few dominant seasons but was never able to perform consistently throughout the span of his career. It's a shame, remembering back to his ATL days I really thought he'd be a player, perhaps even unquestionably the league's best. I've always wondered what could have been if not for the accident. Granted he had solid years in Ottawa, but I still think the accident significantly derailed what could have been one of the most prolific scorers in NHL history

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:23 AM
  #49
MarkusNaslund19
Registered User
 
MarkusNaslund19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
For those of us that remember, say, the 2003 All-Star game then you'll remember his 4 goal performance. Yeah it is only the All-Star game, but at this time Heatley was primed to be a player that could be the best in the world. No one would have raised an eyebrow to that either. Heatley did seem to be a better individual talent. He carried the play more at that time too. 89 points in a sophomore year is unheard of in any era, almost. Put it this way, in September of 2003 I was in a hockey pool and got to pick 1st overall. I picked Dany Heatley. No joke. A week later I heard about a car accident he was in and I hoped it was minor, but of course we all know it was the Dan Snyder incident and Heatley missed most of the 2003-'04 season and I could forget about my pool.

Everyone would have picked Heatley as the better of the two between he and Kovalchuk pre-accident. At the time of the Hossa/Heatley trade the idea was that Ottawa got the better future and the better player. I too noticed Heatley's game change a bit. A little more reliant on his linemates. More of a Brett Hull-style of game to get open (I am not knocking it). Or maybe it was because Spezza is such a puck carrier himself. But the honest truth is that you felt Heatley had all the tools to be the best player in the game. He was never the same after his injury in 2007-'08. Still a good sniper, but a GOOD sniper, that's it. I knew something was up with him when he was teamed up with Thornton in San Jose and produced less than when he was with Spezza as his center. That shouldn't happen.
Agreed. That all-star game seemed to be like a coronation. I recall that they had Roenick wearing a mic on the bench and recorded him telling Heatley that what he was doing 'wasn't fair', etc. Everyone really felt like was the next superstar. And then it was gone, which is interesting to say about a player who went on to post 100 point seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if reggie leach had never done a thing in the playoffs, that would be a pretty good one. but yeah, rick vaive fits. hell, speaking of bertuzzi, how about markus naslund?

as for who was the better player pre-dan snyder between him and kovalchuk, i felt like the heatley hype was based on that all-star game, his passport, nobody acknowledging that he was two years older, and people looking at his frame and projecting him to develop into iginla one day. as i recall, though admittedly i didn't see a whole lot of heatley before the accident, he was really good at using his size to carry and protect the puck, but he was very far from the physical power forward people were talking like he was.

i also wondered out loud in the aftermath of the accident, would kovalchuk have gotten that huge amount of good will if it had been him and not heatley behind the wheel? and wouldn't you know it, heatley has thrown away all of that good will and then some.
Man, you're much too hard on Naslund. I know I don't sound impartial (username), but Nazzy was the best/2nd best offensive player in the league for roughly 3 years.

He gets crapped on a lot for the team's failures in the post season. But when you look back, Naslund really was the team. Do you think the West Coast Express would have been nearly as dominant with anyone else patrolling the left side? He made Morrison and Bertuzzi much better players. We had a fairly good set of offensive Dmen, but we also had poor goaltending (when it counted), and very little scoring depth.

Going back to my conversation with BigPhil re: Heatley and the potential he showed. He showed potential of maybe being better than Naslund. But in my opinion he didn't end up being half the player Naslund was. Let's not forget that Other than his sophomore season (pre-accident), Heatley's high scoring years came in the high powerplay, free flowing post lockout era (sigh...I miss the days when offense existed). Naslund's big years were DPE. And Naslund's numbers are almost identical to Heatley's over those 3 year spans.

Further, Naslund drove his line, while Heatley was driven by his linemates (more Alfy than Spezza in my opinion).

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.