HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies 2005!

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Pax,

I really didn't want to quote your whole thing, but here is my little summary.

Small ball moves runners into scoring position, which then should lead to runs. The Phils don't do this and their games are either feast or famine. I'm not going to go through their entire schedule from last season, but that is what I seem to recall. There is no middle ground. One night they will put up 6 and the next they will put up 1 or 2.

I'm tired of seeing Rollins, Thome, Burrell, Lieberthal and Bell striking out in important situations. Rollins has yet to learn to put the ball in play and swings at so many first pitches. Thome is Thome, he's going to strikeout a lot, but will also give you 40-50 homers per season. Burrell just can't grasp the concept of not swinging out of his shoes at every at bat. The Phils are stuck with Lieberthal and his huge contract.

BTW, here's some interesting stats.

For 3rd hitters, Abreu ranks 1st in strikeouts
For 4th hitters, Thome ranks 1st in strikeouts
For 5th hitters, Burrell ranks 3rd in strikeouts

IMO, those are not good stats to have for the meat of your lineup that is supposed to drive in runs. That, to me, means a lot of wasted opportunities to drive in runs.

Your rotation certainly has a lot of ifs. If Lidle doesn't work then there's Floyd, who is also an if. His last start in spring training he gave up 1 hit in 5 innings, but also walked 5.

Lieber will probably have a better year than Millwood. Why? Again, the Yankees don't let good free agents go and they didn't even put up a struggle.

Myers has a good chance to improve. Why? Have you seen him this year? He's heavier than he was last year. After the season he had last year, you would think he would have been training in the off-season, but it looks like he was hanging in a bar with Millwood somewhere.

Wolf should be fine IF he avoids injury. Sure, if he does.

I also see you didn't mention Padilla either. Probably the biggest if of the staff.

Pax, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm used to losing baseball in Philly and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Old
03-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Lieber will probably have a better year than Millwood. Why? Again, the Yankees don't let good free agents go and they didn't even put up a struggle.
??? Brian Cashman has said that they misread the market for pitchers and all but said that if they knew that that going rate for average starters was 3/21 that they would have picked up the option on Lieber.

Old
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
??? Brian Cashman has said that they misread the market for pitchers and all but said that if they knew that that going rate for average starters was 3/21 that they would have picked up the option on Lieber.
I apologize, I did not see that quote. If that is the case, then Lieber is a very good signing. However, he isn't an ace by any means. In a good rotation he is a solid 2 or an excellent 3.

Old
03-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I don't get the complaints over the Phils offense, they were what, ranked 3rd in the NL last year? Aside from Leiby's horrible RISP performance last year, I really can't complain about their offense. That wasn't the problem last year, it was the starting rotation (which also wasnt' because of the park, they had a worse ERA away from home that at home).

Burrell is an ok fielder, espeically for someone of his speed. He also has a plus arm.
they are a poor situational offensive team, which means they are always going to struggle in close games. they should have massive numbers this year, but my concern is that they will put up great totals built on blow-out wins and slugfests, but then struggled in 4-3 type games where getting that run in the 7th/8th/9th innings is the key to winning or losing.

note, that situational offense is the reason i'm convinced the Marlins are going to be very strong this year. Pierre gets on with no-outs in the bottom of the 9th of a tie-game... steal 2nd, bunt to third... then a pitcher has to get through Cabrera, Delgado, and Lowell.

ugh. not that we can beat the Marlins anyway, they simply own us.

Old
03-23-2005, 01:55 PM
paxtang

The Phils are not a feast or famine offense. That myth was debunked. It's just based on anecdotal evidence. I'll take the Phils offense over any in the division right now.

And out of anyone, I don't see how peple can complain about Rollins after the year he had last year. If he just repeats last years perfomance, that would be great.

Old
03-23-2005, 05:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
The Phils are not a feast or famine offense. That myth was debunked. It's just based on anecdotal evidence. I'll take the Phils offense over any in the division right now.

And out of anyone, I don't see how peple can complain about Rollins after the year he had last year. If he just repeats last years perfomance, that would be great.
BTW, going back to another one of your quotes "people always point to the Phils high LOB as a symptom of a bad offense. Actually, its a symptom of getting a lot of runners on base.". I totally disagree with you. A high LOB is a symptom of poor situational hitting, which is exactly what the Phils are.

I'm sorry, but I just looked at the Phils schedule/results last season and I see a number of games where the Phils piled on meaningless runs which makes the stats look better than what they really are.

4/24 7-0
4/27 7-3
4/28 6-3
5/4 7-1
5/11 10-4
5/15 16-5
5/19 9-4
6/4 9-1
6/11 11-6
6/28 14-6
6/29 17-7
7/17 8-2
8/11 15-4
8/29 10-0
9/3 8-1
9/4 7-0
9/15 9-1
9/19 7-2
9/22 12-4
10/3 10-4

There are a lot of meaningless hits, hrs and rbis in those games.

I'm not even looking at blow out losses where they put up meaningless runs when they were down by 4-8 runs.

Again, we will agree to disagree. I don't think that the Phils offense comes through when they need to.

As for Rollins, I would like to see him become more selective at the plate and work the count a little better instead of swinging at the first pitch as often as he does. Again, I also equate him to Willie Mays Hayes in Major League. Put the ball on the ground and leg 'em out.

Old
03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
paxtang

As long as he has a good OBP, I could care less how Rollins gets on base. I don't see why he should be encouraged to lower his OPS.

Old
03-23-2005, 10:25 PM
FearTheFlyers

Go Jays!!!

And BTW Abreu>>>Cabrera at this stage in their careers anyway. That's not even debateable.

Old
03-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
Go Jays!!!

And BTW Abreu>>>Cabrera at this stage in their careers anyway. That's not even debateable.
:pizza: You have now been pizzaed! hahahaahahahah!

Old
04-02-2005, 06:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Phillies have a terrific everyday lineup.It's an AL type of lineup.Solid pen with Billy Wagner,Ryan Madson,Tim Worrell and Rheal Cormier.Their starting pitching is shaky

The Marlins have a terrific lineup.Their pen is major question.The starting rotation is also a question.Josh Beckett and AJ Burnett can't stay healthy.Dontrelle Willis could be poised for a breakout year.Al Leiter is toast

The NL East is the best division in MLB with the Phillies,Marlins,Braves and Mets

Old
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Stonehands77

Are we sure about Worrell being a part of a solid pen? He blew another one today, and Cormier contributed by giving up a homer in the 10th. The funny part is the rotation has been, through three games, arguably the more stable part of the pitching staff. Thank God it's a long season, though. That means time for Worrell to turn things around.

Old
04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Are we sure about Worrell being a part of a solid pen? He blew another one today, and Cormier contributed by giving up a homer in the 10th. The funny part is the rotation has been, through three games, arguably the more stable part of the pitching staff. Thank God it's a long season, though. That means time for Worrell to turn things around.
Worrell

Old
04-07-2005, 11:08 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
haha, losing 2 out of 3 to the Expos, eh hmm, I mean the Nationals.

things are going just the way I thought they would unfortunilty.

Old
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Bruinsyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
haha, losing 2 out of 3 to the Expos, eh hmm, I mean the Nationals.

things are going just the way I thought they would unfortunilty.
I was just crusing by here.

Is that Jimmy Page as your avator?

Old
04-08-2005, 07:32 AM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsyear
I was just crusing by here.

Is that Jimmy Page as your avator?
the one and only...

Old
04-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Blame the pen, if you want, but why with Libey on base, in the bottom 9th, didn't they pitch run for him? He's on 2nd, with 1 out? We could have won right there, instead...Nice work Manuel!

Old
04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Blame the pen, if you want, but why with Libey on base, in the bottom 9th, didn't they pitch run for him? He's on 2nd, with 1 out? We could have won right there, instead...Nice work Manuel!
Oh, I'm not going to let Manuel off the hook. To be honest, I only caught the gamecast starting in the top of the 10th inning (the joys of A. living in the Boston area, B. having to work to pay the mortgage/bills, and C. MLB being a bunch of ripoff ********** and charging for the audio broadcasts over the net), so I didn't see that he had pulled that idiocy. Glad to see the manager's "gut" is working top speed. Manuel's not related to Grady Little perchance, is he?

Old
04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Nikkowar

Grrr...bad decison to put in Fultz when Wagner was ready to go. Bad decision to take out Michaels who was 3 for 4 for Lofton only to swing at bad pitches! grrr..

Old
04-08-2005, 07:50 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Man, I was following the Phils pretty closely last season...now it's just why bother.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this season, it seems. I wonder how bad it has to get before Wade gets the giant Australian boot.

Old
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
pelts35.com

Wade isn't going to get any type of boot (Australian or otherwise). Wade is doing exactly what the front office wants him to do. He is simply a puppet that says and carries out management's decisions.

I think a problem with this team is the fact that it is owned by a group of faceless/nameless individuals who really don't seem to care whether the Phils win or lose.

Old
04-09-2005, 12:24 PM
FlyersGuy69

lol, came across this funny pic...thought I would share it.

Old
04-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Nikkowar

How 'bout Pat Burrell?

Old
04-11-2005, 08:37 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
How 'bout Pat Burrell?
How about the fact that he had a very good April last season too, although not as this April? I'll wait until May and June to see if Burrell has truly learned from his past mistakes or if he will revert to his form of the past two seasons.

Old
04-17-2005, 01:57 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Lieber 3 GS 3-0 2.49 ERA

Millwood 3 GS 0-1 3.60 ERA

Milton 3 GS 1-1 4.86 ERA

not bad so far, but a long way to go...

Old
05-05-2005, 09:50 AM
GKJ