HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NBJ: Phone ringing a lot at Tennessee company that makes those Kevlar socks

Old
02-19-2013, 11:38 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
NBJ: Phone ringing a lot at Tennessee company that makes those Kevlar socks

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...tors-predators

Phones have been ringing a lot at Swiftwick to buy up the $44 socks after Karlsson's season-ending injury.

Predators have gone from 5 players wearing 'em to 18.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
They had a demonstration on one of the Pittsburgh broadcasts about the strength of these socks, from the looks of it they're pretty hard to shear.

Also mentioned that only two Penguins wore the Kevlar socks. Wonder why the hesitation to switch? Comfort issue perhaps?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Wingsfan2965*

I don't blame them.

I believe I remember Detroit broadcasters saying that most of the team wore them already. I know Helm wears them on his wrists after he severed a tendon.

Honestly I think they need to make something for the neck area. Only a matter of time before somebody doesn't get as lucky as Malarchuk and Zednik did.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Hockey is such an incredibly dangerous sport. Everything happens at high speed. In addition to 200+ lb athletes moving at incredible speeds...hitting objects with little to no give like the boards, in addition to a surface akin to concrete...a hard, vulcanized rubber projectile that can move in excess of 100mph... Sticks that cut and fly through the air at all angles and elevations...skates shaper that butcher knives... It's an absolute MIRACLE more people don't DIE in this game, let alone get mamed or injured.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Zach Redmond on the Jets cut over his knee at practice today. Seems bad. I think they're going to get even busier...

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
blamebettman*

So those stupid rbk edge socks apparently are paper thin? Why the hell did they start using them anyway? What was wrong with the pre RBK edge socks?

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Zach Redmond on the Jets cut over his knee at practice today. Seems bad. I think they're going to get even busier...
Apparently Redmond was wearing Kevlar socks, problem is they only extend to just below the knee.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Apparently Redmond was wearing Kevlar socks, problem is they only extend to just below the knee.
Really? Is that because of flexibility? That seems to defeat the purpose.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Crease

Jay Beagle and Eric Fehr from the Capitals wear Kevlar-reinforced socks. Every player on the Caps was greeted with a box of them and a note from George McPhee on Wednesday, encouraging them to try 'em out.

It was made mandatory in Montreal after Robert Lang and Andre Markov suffered Achilles tears in 2009. Roman Hamrlik tried them on then and still wears them to this day.

Gregory Campbell never heard of them until he heard a guy talk about it on the Colorado/Nashville game the other night. He thinks its a good idea.

Andrew Ference wears sleeves made of Kevlar material. Dennis Seidenberg has been sliced across the top of his calves and across his chest by errant skate blades. But he isn't consistent about wearing the protection from game to game. His only complaint is that they don't soak up moisture that well.

Do a news search for "hockey" and "kevlar socks". A ton of articles in the past week. The company is doing well now.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Looked bad, opened up like a bag of insulation apparently. Large pool of blood on the ice, and blood all over other players' jerseys and socks. Hell makes me want to get socks just for recreational skating. As said though it happened in a place the socks don't cover.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I guess Redmond wears them. I think they should be mandatory.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote