HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Liberati0n*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Uhhh... BB whined afterwards that GMGM was always telling him what to do.

One particular alleged instance in a severe, unique situation has something to do with the day-to-day operating style of the organization. Right. Retardation FTW.

Old
01-19-2014, 03:36 AM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Do we have any Oates supporters left?
Any that were left are surely off the Oates train as he continues to field a dpair of Carrick and Erskine.

Oh yeah, and they play the PK too. And Carrick plays on the 3-man PK as well.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCap View Post
Any that were left are surely off the Oates train as he continues to field a dpair of Carrick and Erskine.

Oh yeah, and they play the PK too. And Carrick plays on the 3-man PK as well.
That's the one thing I just don't get. I can at least get putting Erskine out there, but he won't put Orlov and Green? His supposed "top pair" or 2nd pair out there?

Its mind boggling.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:21 AM
bacchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
So.. I don't know, there are questions (like what'll happen against a team that will really cycle and crash the net in the playoffs)
I don't think we have anything to worry about there.

Old
01-19-2014, 06:56 AM
Acallabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I'd say Ovechkin is thriving under Oates. On pace for 60 goals.
And 20 assists, and still barely above PPG, which the main board clowns won't wait to remind us of. Ovechkin's production could be a lot better if he had a real line for more than 5 games.

Quote:
I don't think we have anything to worry about there.
Well, I still think we'll go to playoffs, and anything can happen there (unless you're the Caps).

Old
01-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Paxton Fettel

vCash: 453
Is it just me or putting Backstrom alone out there (in other words, without Ovechkin), has exposed him as a completely useless player? Defenses usually try to shut Ovy down, giving Backstrom a chance to shine. Now that he's got his own line, he can't seem to produce anything. Scoreless in the last 4, 1 point in 5.

Old
01-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Acallabeth

Whom does he play with again?..

Old
01-19-2014, 08:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Is it just me or putting Backstrom alone out there (in other words, without Ovechkin), has exposed him as a completely useless player? Defenses usually try to shut Ovy down, giving Backstrom a chance to shine. Now that he's got his own line, he can't seem to produce anything. Scoreless in the last 4, 1 point in 5.
useless? that's funny. basics of life. pass first player passing to players that are not shooters is a waste of the passer.

have you noticed that the caps have lost all these games with backstrom away from ovechkin?

Johansson has 7pts in his last 8 games. does this mean he is a better center than Backstrom? Since most want to get rid of Johansson, should the caps ditch Backstrom?

Old
01-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Paxton Fettel

vCash: 453
Ditch both Mojo and Backis. Neither can spell "intense".

Old
01-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Koized

Has Cooper made progress in Tampa?

Old
01-19-2014, 11:43 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post

Ovechkin after Cbus loss - “Everybody understand if you’re not going to prepare and you’re not going to be ready for the game nobody going to help you. Even if I’m going to talk or [Nicklas Backstrom] is going to talk, it’s not going to help,” Alex Ovechkin said. “You have to be ready 100 percent. All team today, including me, everybody was not ready. It’s shame on us.”
And now...

Oveckin after Rags loss - “What am I going to say? ‘Wake up everybody’ Or something like that? We say too much, go out there and do it,” Ovechkin said. “We can be good speaker but you have to show it on the ice. Especially me, Nicky, Greenie, Brooksie. We have to lead by example. It’s all about it.”

Is Ovechkin hinting that all the motivational efforts have fallen on the players themselves, and that it's not working? Is he just sick of having to give quotes about what they SHOULD be doing to the press? Is he picking up on Oates' "why bother" attitude regarding motivational speech?

What is going on here that your captain is saying things like this after every game now?

Old
01-20-2014, 06:58 AM
Koized

As a player it would be hard for me to take someone seriously that says give it 100% when they don't on a nightly basis. Ovechkin is a great player but he could be a lot better if he put forth a constant effort. He floats around and his battle level around the boards is atrocious. It really stood out when he was playing with Fehr and Grabo as they were constantly giving it 100% and then you had Ovechkin who was losing puck battle after puck battle due to lack of effort.

Old
01-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Corby78

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
And now...

Oveckin after Rags loss - “What am I going to say? ‘Wake up everybody’ Or something like that? We say too much, go out there and do it,” Ovechkin said. “We can be good speaker but you have to show it on the ice. Especially me, Nicky, Greenie, Brooksie. We have to lead by example. It’s all about it.”

Is Ovechkin hinting that all the motivational efforts have fallen on the players themselves, and that it's not working? Is he just sick of having to give quotes about what they SHOULD be doing to the press? Is he picking up on Oates' "why bother" attitude regarding motivational speech?

What is going on here that your captain is saying things like this after every game now?
The honest answer is he shouldn't be a captain either. You need a 2-way club house leader. Not an offense only guy who is more interested in the Russian team. Not putting blame on Ovie, his run to 50 is the only thing worth watching anymore. But we need a captain, and I honestly don't know who on this team would fit that role. Ward? Chimi?

Old
01-20-2014, 08:09 AM
NoMoreChoking

Yeah Ovi is a terrible captain....

Old
01-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
useless? that's funny. basics of life. pass first player passing to players that are not shooters is a waste of the passer.

have you noticed that the caps have lost all these games with backstrom away from ovechkin?

Johansson has 7pts in his last 8 games. does this mean he is a better center than Backstrom? Since most want to get rid of Johansson, should the caps ditch Backstrom?
We are training Wilson to be that second shooter. No better place for him to learn than 6 minutes a game with Volpatti and Beagle.

Old
01-20-2014, 08:26 AM
fsnoles98

How many coaches have we been through with GMGM? Does that answer your question?
How's Bruce doing with Anaheim?
Ted suck as an owner
GMGM sucks a a GM
Oates sucks as a coach with this talent?

Old
01-20-2014, 08:41 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

As much as I hate to say it but I don't think Ovechkin is the best choice for captain either. He's a great player and there is no denying that. But his floating is well documented. If there is a loose puck on the ice however there is no other skater I'd rather see chasing than Ovechkin.

But out of Ovi, Greenie, Nick and Laich..............honestly out of those four Laich probably comes closest to what I expect from a captain's on ice performance and I don't like Laich. LOL But there is no denying his work ethic. I can't get a read on Nick. Sometimes I think he floats or it's just his demeanor. Green I think can be lazy.

Hunter started to mold Ovi into a two-player with a better 2-way work ethic. I honestly think that could have gone a long way. And I don't mean to say Ovi needs to be the best 2-player either but more effort on the D side of things could help and he has the skating ability to do it which makes it more frustrating I guess.

And Oates isn't helping by giving them the excuse(s) they already had. Someone, like Hunter, needs to come in and put them in their places and stop pampering. I find that to be ridiculous.

Old
01-20-2014, 08:59 AM
trick9

vCash: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
As much as I hate to say it but I don't think Ovechkin is the best choice for captain either. He's a great player and there is no denying that. But his floating is well documented. If there is a loose puck on the ice however there is no other skater I'd rather see chasing than Ovechkin.

But out of Ovi, Greenie, Nick and Laich..............honestly out of those four Laich probably comes closest to what I expect from a captain's on ice performance and I don't like Laich. LOL But there is no denying his work ethic. I can't get a read on Nick. Sometimes I think he floats or it's just his demeanor. Green I think can be lazy.

Hunter started to mold Ovi into a two-player with a better 2-way work ethic. I honestly think that could have gone a long way. And I don't mean to say Ovi needs to be the best 2-player either but more effort on the D side of things could help and he has the skating ability to do it which makes it more frustrating I guess.

And Oates isn't helping by giving them the excuse(s) they already had. Someone, like Hunter, needs to come in and put them in their places and stop pampering. I find that to be ridiculous.
None of those 3 (Ovi, Backstrom, Green) are actual leaders so if they want to change the captaincy now then they certainly need to get that player from elsewhere. Laich has some leadership abilities so i see him as good fit for some AHL team once he is bought out in the summer.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:11 AM
foundhockey

Taking the captaincy away from Ovechkin as a fix is the stupidest thing I've read on these boards.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Any reason people don't question Crosby's captaincy due to his floating and poor defensive play?

Happen to catch three games ago, when he was walked and shielded from the puck by the mighty Marcus Johansson? We all know how great of a puck protector he is.

Ovechkin as C is the least of the team's problems. There's a gap in fiery veteran leadership around him, certainly. But Ovechkin is highly, highly respected by his teammates.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:24 AM
tycoonheart

Ovi is absolutely right. There are plenty of players on the team that do the rah rah BS. Its about more than that, the players need to be responsible for preparing themselves, as he suggests.

But I think the coaches are doing a terrible job of preparing the players as well. I kind of don't like Oates' "they're professional players, they will prepare themselves" approach. Coaches need to come in and make sure of it as well.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:27 AM
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
None of those 3 (Ovi, Backstrom, Green) are actual leaders so if they want to change the captaincy now then they certainly need to get that player from elsewhere. Laich has some leadership abilities so i see him as good fit for some AHL team once he is bought out in the summer.
This is always a dumb argument, we have no way of knowing what goes on in the locker room and I think Captaincy is overrated anyway. If anyone has "leadership qualities" it's going to come out regardless of whether or not they have a bit of cloth sewed on their chest. You can say Ovi and Backstrom are or aren't leaders but there's no real basis for that other than whatever bits you hear when they're ************ to the media.

Ovi will never be stripped of the C so it's not even worth talking about.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Acallabeth

Who did ever start that idiocy of stripping AO of his captaincy? It's beyond stupid even for the main boards.

AFAIR Varlamov said several years ago that Ovechkin actually gives a lot of speeches. If he isn't able to back it up on ice, there's not a righter decision than to cut words and work harder. Whatever, sometimes even stars need a post-career man to tell them some things.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:58 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Ovi is absolutely right. There are plenty of players on the team that do the rah rah BS. Its about more than that, the players need to be responsible for preparing themselves, as he suggests.

But I think the coaches are doing a terrible job of preparing the players as well. I kind of don't like Oates' "they're professional players, they will prepare themselves" approach. Coaches need to come in and make sure of it as well.
This is close to my take as well. We aren't in the room but it does seem like Ovie is good for a bit of talk and a lot of leadership by performance. I keep focusing on these quotes because either intentionally or accidentally it seems to point to a motivational vacuum across the roster (due to Oates) that Ovie and the other stars resent, can't seem to overcome, or both.

And the fact that Ovie's picked up on some of Oates' "**** it" attitude about it is what troubles me the most. He's always been a guy to take personal responsibility when he's not delivering on the ice as far as I can remember, and he's having a good year. So in that respect he's doing his job as a leader.

This seems to be a signal that "hey, we can't be the world's best players AND deal with all this locker room stuff at the same time, someone else (coach or another player) needs to step up and help".

Old
01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Who did ever start that idiocy of stripping AO of his captaincy? It's beyond stupid even for the main boards.

AFAIR Varlamov said several years ago that Ovechkin actually gives a lot of speeches. If he isn't able to back it up on ice, there's not a righter decision than to cut words and work harder. Whatever, sometimes even stars need a post-career man to tell them some things.
I think it begin around 2010 after he started to drop off in production and there was speculation as to why. Was it the Olympics, injury, captaincy, girlfriend, hockey media, NHL punishments, equipment, etc...

Look...if you knew Ovechkin could score 60 goals a year without the C and maybe 40 with the C, what would you do? Of course we don't know that but that's the logic behind it. I wasn't sure before but I think he's fine as Captain in general. IMO the problem is lack of leadership from the bench, which puts more pressure on the Captain.

Closed Thread