Notices

Ryan O'Reilly

Old
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Ryan O'Reilly

They are still far apart on contract talks. There are also rumblings that teams may be interested in offer sheeting him. Should the Bruins be taking a look at this kid?

6 Foot, tenacious checker, who doesn't shy away from the physical stuff. Does this not scream Boston Bruins.

He's a natural center, so I'm not sure how he would adjust to a move to wing.

Then there is the whole price tag. To trade for him, Colorado would want something significant in return. They have been decimated by injuries up front, so they'd probably want forwards in return. I've also heard that he wants 5 mill, which could be a big stumbling block.

---------

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...#ixzz2KCV7uFZd

The Avs' contract offers to their leading scorer from last season remain two years at $7 million or five years at about $17 million. While the differences on a two-year deal are much closer than a five-year deal (O'Reilly wants in the neighborhood of $25 million on that one), the Avs appear to have drawn a line in the sand with their offers. With no softening of the O'Reilly camp's stance, that would seem to leave only two possibilities: a trade or an offer sheet from another team.

Thoughts?

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

No thanks, he hasn't earned the right yet to make 5 million. Sick of these kids already holding out for more money on their first and second contracts. Its an epidemic. I feel like players in the past had to show consistency before they made bank.

I for one are against offer sheeting. It would just encourage holding out to happen in the future with the player knowing if my team doesn't sign me, another team will apply pressure.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't think the Bruins get in on it. Great player, but adding O'Reilly means restructuring the team and Petey doesn't usually fix something unless it's clearly broken.

02-07-2013, 09:39 AM
tragos

tragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
MioneRask134

Dom tweeted about him wanting to be a Bruin. I'd welcome it. He'd look good on the 3rd line. Don't know what it would take but.I'd like it.

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
ODAAT

awfully demanding for a guy who`s never hit 20 goals in the league. No doubt about the talent but whatever happened to a body of work before making these demands?

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

We wouldn't be able to afford him. Unfortunate... The kid is a hell of a player and future number 1 center.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragos View Post

One tough ombre. (Even if we already have McQuaid )

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

He is obviously an intriguing player with his size, youth, skill, and production. I'm not sure if he's worth the money he is asking for, or if the Bruins could realistically fit him into their salary structure, but I do know that he makes you a better team the day he steps onto the ice for you. The easy answer is that, if you are Chia, you look at it and see what the Avs are looking for in return/what O'Reilly is demanding in salary. I don't do the deal if I am Boston and I am asked to give anything up from my current NHL roster, with a few possible exceptions. If we are talking prospects/picks, then I listen. I would rather them be looking for a true, goal-scoring winger, but acquiring this kid would give them insane depth down the middle, and might allow you to slot Bergy in as the true shut-down center. Your line-up could look something like this:

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin

Marchand-O'Reilly-Horton

Kelly-Bergy-Pevs

Merlot

I'm not sure all of those guys would fit considering the salary, but it's an intriguing possibility.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:56 AM
smitty10

What need would Boston have for him? Seguin, Krejci and Bergeron is already extremely deep down the middle.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
8BostonRocker24

Another ~$5 million USD salary does not fit on this roster.

IMO he's closer to Chris Kelly than Patrice Bergeron. He might be Bergeron Rev2.0 but I would hate paying a younger Chris Kelly-like player $5 million. You need Chris Kelly type players on your roster (Paille, Campbell, and Peverley also) but you don't pay these guys Bergeron money and I think RoR is closer to Kelly than Bergeron.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Dom tweeted about him wanting to be a Bruin. I'd welcome it. He'd look good on the 3rd line. Don't know what it would take but.I'd like it.
Did RO actually say that?

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
TooMuchMan

It'd be great to have him on the team - but as mentioned earlier, adding another $5M+ salary forward to the mix does not for a happy offseason make....

Additionally, the cost would likely be prohibitive. The Avs would undoubtedly want to include Hamilton or at the very least Spooner/Khokhlachev+Multiple picks+a roster forward. Hamilton is obviously a non-starter, but the latter is similarly nauseating.

Fun to think about but not all that practical.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Fire Julien

Our bottom 6 already takes up too much cap space, pass.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post

IMO he's closer to Chris Kelly than Patrice Bergeron. He might be Bergeron Rev2.0 but I would hate paying a younger Chris Kelly-like player $5 million. You need Chris Kelly type players on your roster (Paille, Campbell, and Peverley also) but you don't pay these guys Bergeron money and I think RoR is closer to Kelly than Bergeron.
Close(r) to Chris Kelly? That's an odd comparison. Kelly's never broken 40 points in 8 seasons. O'Reilly put up 55 points as a 20 year old. I think he's much closer to Bergeron than he is to Kelly.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
What need would Boston have for him? Seguin, Krejci and Bergeron is already extremely deep down the middle.
that and defensive centers on a team with so many great defensive centers is just seriously redundant

Great player, but not a good fit for us and he wants too much

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Walkenthewalk

Quote:
IMO he's closer to Chris Kelly than Patrice Bergeron.
This is exactly the first thing that crossed my mind.

Walkenthewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
bruins04

Quote:

He does all the little things right, his game is in the details. imo he is way past Kelly in terms of what he brings. Here's some statistical information that helps communicate the value he brings: O'reilly Value

comparing o'reilly to recent Selke winners

he is far closer to bergeron than kelly, i don't think that's even a question. but i guess it is for some of us

Last edited by bruins04: 02-07-2013 at 03:15 PM.
bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

We're not paying $5 million to a 3rd line center. He's a talent all right, but there's no space for him or his upcoming cap hit. I'd rather acquire a bigger name and a bigger need (top paring defenseman, 1st line sniper) with the $5 million we'd save.

Krejci or Bergeron aren't being traded, there's no room. He's not a 3rd line center, but he would be on our team.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:39 PM
bruins04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
We're not paying $5 million to a 3rd line center. He's a talent all right, but there's no space for him or his upcoming cap hit. I'd rather acquire a bigger name and a bigger need (top paring defenseman, 1st line sniper) with the $5 million we'd save.

Krejci or Bergeron aren't being traded, there's no room. He's not a 3rd line center, but he would be on our team.
agreed, my only point was that he's not gonna be available for Kelly money because he's well beyond Kelly talent and potential-wise. Too bad he doesn't fit, but i really hope he stays somewhere in the west

Old
02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I would go for him. I hate the thought of any other team getting him for 50 cents on the dollar.

Before people pass on getting this guy please think about him on the Rangers or Pittsburgh. If someone is getting him for a bargain might as well be us.

I send Kelly back with 2 first rounders. Colorado probably takes it.

OReilly and Peverley would be a great 3rd line duo.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins04 View Post
He does all the little things right, his game is in the details. imo he is way past Kelly in terms of what he brings. Here's some statistical information that helps communicate the value he brings: O'reilly Value

he is far closer to bergeron than kelly, i don't think that's even a question. but i guess it is for some of us
Wow, thanks for the links. Great reads that do an excellent job of showing O'Reilly's importance to the Avalanche.

The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:26 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins04 View Post

Wow, thanks for the links. Great reads that do an excellent job of showing O'Reilly's importance to the Avalanche.

The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:30 PM
bruins04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
i've personally been high on him since watching him play with Landeskog last year. We drafted Jordan Caron with the 25th overall pick. O'reilly went 33rd.

he turned 22 today, someone will make an offer sheet the longer this drags out

Old
02-07-2013, 05:43 PM
MioneRask134

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
Did RO actually say that?
Dom's not one to lie

He said he would love to one day play for the Bruins.

That's enough for me. RoR is NOT Chris Kelly. Anyone who says that is insane.

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote