Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quarter of season finished...

Old
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Trap Jesus

vCash: 500
1. Hamilton - Absolutely shocked at how good he has been. I thought for sure he'd struggle and would be hard pressed to earn minutes under Julien, but he's looked like a vet out there and I don't think it would be a stretch to say he's been our best defenseman so far (or at least #2 behind Seids).

Honorable Mentions
Krejci - he's been our most consistent player all year
Marchand - He hasn't missed a step despite not playing all year
Rask - Unbelievably consistent. He's doing exactly what we need him to do.

2. Chara - He looks completely off outside a couple of dominant games. As the best d-man in the league that still means that he's a great player to have when he's at his worst, but he absolutely needs to step his game up.

Honorable Mentions
Kelly - A lot of people are down on the third line as a whole, but I think Peverley has actually looked quite good. Kelly has really looked off to me.
Ference - Same as Kelly, really. He's a depth guy that we really rely on that hasn't been doing his job so far.

3. I'm past the point of worrying about the PP. It's just not there and I'm over it. We've been contenders without it and I just see it as a cherry on top if we can finally get it going. Nothing too big really jumps out at me to worry me about their play right now.

4. B

They've had a pretty good start. I don't really care that they don't have the greatest goal differential right now because this team has shown in the past that they can outright dominate games. Plus, they've shown a great ability to close out games again this year with all these tight games.

We've got a lot of snakebit players right now so I'm sure the offense will start picking it up. Once they do, that goal differential and all those ridiculous plus/minus numbers will start coming back. Defense has been very solid outside of a couple defensive lapses.

Last edited by Trap Jesus: 02-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
If you say so. Ironic that you're accusing me of dismissing the cold hard numbers for hyperbole, when you glossed over the actual numbers for the team right now. While it doesn't mean they will stay in the middle of the pack for GPG and in the bottom third for total goals, it's not something to feel great about given that a quarter of the season has passed.

Here are some numbers that are really to blame for the lack of goals, IMO:

2011: 16.2%
2012: 17.2%
2013: 13.0%

Care to guess that that is? You got it, PP%. They have sucked at the PP for years, yet this season is bringing new definition to inept. You can call it hyperbole, and dismiss it if you want. What I see is a trend. We can certainly take this back up at the end of the year though, and see how it all plays out...
I'll never dismiss the power play. If they could ever figure out how to make it even league average and keep their even strength play at the level it is, they'd be near-unbeatable.

I didn't dismiss any numbers. I showed 2 trends. GPG and SPG, the SPG are right at recent norms, shooting percentage in a small sample can easily fluctuate. In my mind that's what's going on here. If we get to the trade deadline and that hasn't corrected itself? Then yeah, moves need to be made. But again, I'm not the one who threw Offensively challenged is being nice out there. I reserve that sort of comment for Minnesota and their new elite goal scorer.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
I mean, there are things I'm concerned about at a micro level for sure. The depth comment is spot on, they don't have it, at least not the way Kelly has played this year, and I don't even mean that from a compared to his career year last year comment, I mean more of a he's looked like garbage comment. Bourque isn't a fit for that line at all. Paille is actually the organization's best fit right now for that spot which is pretty damning for the 2007-2009 drafts. Hamilton is really our only skill defender, and I shudder to think of what happens if he starts round 1 shaky.

But at a macro level, they're outshooting their opponents by more than any other team in the league aside from the Blues. Generally that means good things in the long run.
But most of those shots are long range and un-screened. FWIW, They had a ton of shots last year as well, but the drop off between where they rank in goals scored this year and goals scored last year is pretty sharp.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Debated on starting this thread. Probably could put this into many threads. Mods can lock if they feel this is overkill.

But a 1/4 of the season is now over so I'm wondering what the answers will be to these questions.

1. Who has most impressed you so far ?

Rask

2. Other then Bourque(LOL) who has least impressed you ?

Ference

3. Is there 1 glaring thing that scares you about the Bruins play so far ?

Power Play ineffectiveness

4. Using the A,B,C scale like in school, where do you feel the Bruins are playing at ?

B+
Clode

02-19-2013, 03:53 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I'll never dismiss the power play. If they could ever figure out how to make it even league average and keep their even strength play at the level it is, they'd be near-unbeatable.

I didn't dismiss any numbers. I showed 2 trends. GPG and SPG, the SPG are right at recent norms, shooting percentage in a small sample can easily fluctuate. In my mind that's what's going on here. If we get to the trade deadline and that hasn't corrected itself? Then yeah, moves need to be made. But again, I'm not the one who threw Offensively challenged is being nice out there. I reserve that sort of comment for Minnesota and their new elite goal scorer.
The caveat about looking at the Bruins and a team like the wild is pretty obvious though. The Bruins are supposed to be a top team and contend for a cup. The Wild haven't seen the playoffs since 07-08.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
But most of those shots are long range and un-screened. FWIW, They had a ton of shots last year as well, but the drop off between where they rank in goals scored this year and goals scored last year is pretty sharp.
I doubt that very much actually. I'd venture that the shot breakdown is almost exactly the same as it's been each of the last two seasons prior. You're working with anecdotal evidence, less goals per shot MUST equal worse shots. People hate thinking that fortune plays a luck in these things, but over a small sample that's almost never the case.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
The caveat about looking at the Bruins and a team like the wild is pretty obvious though. The Bruins are supposed to be a top team and contend for a cup. The Wild haven't seen the playoffs since 07-08.
Your comment wasn't Offensively challenged for an expected contender is being nice.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Regina

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Debated on starting this thread. Probably could put this into many threads. Mods can lock if they feel this is overkill.

But a 1/4 of the season is now over so I'm wondering what the answers will be to these questions.

McQauid

Horton

Parity of the league

4. Using the A,B,C scale like in school, where do you feel the Bruins are playing at ?
B+

Clode , with hair

Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
WBC8

Quote:
I mean, there are things I'm concerned about at a micro level for sure. The depth comment is spot on, they don't have it, at least not the way Kelly has played this year, and I don't even mean that from a compared to his career year last year comment, I mean more of a he's looked like garbage comment. Bourque isn't a fit for that line at all. Paille is actually the organization's best fit right now for that spot which is pretty damning for the 2007-2009 drafts. Hamilton is really our only skill defender, and I shudder to think of what happens if he starts round 1 shaky.

But at a macro level, they're outshooting their opponents by more than any other team in the league aside from the Blues. Generally that means good things in the long run.
Everything will come around... Scary though when we don't go out and dictate... A lazy Bruins team is a crap Bruins team.. They need to outwork and intimidate IMO... Key to their success over the past couple years.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Your comment wasn't Offensively challenged for an expected contender is being nice.
Are the Bruins a contender or a bottom feeder? If they're a contender (which I think they are), does it really matter how the stack up against the bad teams of the league?

I think you're reading way too much into my comments, and getting worked up for no reason.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:07 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Are the Bruins a contender or a bottom feeder? If they're a contender (which I think they are), does it really matter how the stack up against the bad teams of the league?

I think you're reading way too much into my comments, and getting worked up for no reason.
I'm Portuguese, I like to get worked up. It's part of the reason you'll never go on my ignore list Lonnie.

I haven't seen a thing that leads me to believe they won't be top 5 in scoring by year's end. That said, the depth worries me a ton. The complete whiff that the 07-09 drafts were is where I'm pointing my finger if they come out of Chara's prime with only the one cup. Not that I'm greedy, I never thought I'd see that one before he got here.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Florida too.... I expect 8-12 goals these next two games, and 4-5 vs the Isles... They will break out these next three, or we may have to be concerned..
I'm concerned about the schedule.
From Sunday on we'll play every other day. So far we had so much rest, I just hate it.
Too many 3 day breaks to start the season ... The Flyers will have 5 games in hand tomorrow, that's just ridicilous.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Regina

PHP Code:
The Flyers will have 5 games in hand tomorrowthat's just ridicilous. 
Very

How many is five ...ha ha ha

Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
bruins04

1.) Marchand - 8 goals, 4 pims - 7 guys have more goals than him, 388 guys have more pims than him.

2.) Ference - too many giveaways
I would say Kelly, but last year he had a 34 game stretch where he had 3 goals (including Jan-Feb timeframe). He still had a career year with 20 goals. But this is who he was for large stretches of last year as well.

3.) I felt last year the Horton injury pretty much crippled our ability to roll 4 lines, depth was lost, etc. We need our top 6 healthy or every game feels like a losable game even though we tend to come out on top frequently enough.

4.) B- this team has way more to show and has not been putting 60 minute efforts consistently whatsoever.

bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Dabruins

Marchand - Kid is playin real well right now and burying his chances, something many team mates cant say. Hope he keeps it up.

Horton - Can easily make the argument for Chara/Ference but Horton just frustrates me so much more. Has all the physical tools without question but is lacking a few key intangibles. Hope when we get to playoffs those will disappear like they did in the cup run.

Lack of physicality. Not sure if its just bc its regular season and on top of that only a 48 game window, so maybe there being restricted to a more injury free style right now, but I want my Bruins back. Again, ill be fine if they show up in playoffs bc thats all that matters to me, but if the old Bruins dont stand up at any point this season that will be a sad sad day for this fan. It's part of what makes this team great and right now they are just scraping by without that element.

B - Should maybe be a B+ bc I love that there winning close games which is tough to do but there are a few holes to fix before playoffs and if they do, I like our chances.

Dabruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
I'm concerned about the schedule.
From Sunday on we'll play every other day. So far we had so much rest, I just hate it.
Too many 3 day breaks to start the season ... The Flyers will have 5 games in hand tomorrow, that's just ridicilous.
Have you watched the Flyers recently? Judging from the way they've played, their 5 GIHs are very unlikely to produce anything close to 10 points in the standings. They may not even make the playoffs this season. On the other hand, the Bruins' GIHs will probably allow them to build up a substantial lead in the Northeast division. If they fail to pass the Habs within the next week they would have only themselves to blame.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Btw, I misspoke. We will have 5 games in hand, of course.

It's not about the teams per se, it's about one team having played 18 games while another has only played 13.
The schedule at the end of the season is enormous. It's like last season when we couldn't get anything going because we only played twice a week.
At the end, we were just out of gas. It's going to be similar.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
C77

Hamilton - unbelievable for a 19 year old defenseman
Krejci - stronger/not falling over

3rd line

No easy tap-in goals for this team like Savard used to make happen.

A- The Bruins know how to win and outwork other teams most of the time. It will serve them well in the regular season. I think they need a few changes to have a good chance to succeed in the playoffs.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:15 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Light the Lamp!

Quote:

Marchand....then Hamilton
Don't need anyone other than Bourque
Lack of finishing / amt of missed open nets
A-....how bad can you complain when you've gotten points in 11 of 13 games and have only 2 reg losses.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Quaider*

Quote:

1. Marchand is the best player on the team, all things cosidered. He continues to get better which is impressive because he was already excellent. Krecji has been outstanding and Dougie is going to be an all-star.

2. Kelly and Ference.

3. Not nearly phyical enough since Scott scared the whole team with his one or two shifts. Thornton is now a non-factor.

4. B-. It could be higher with more physical play. Lately we've been a pretty boring product.

Quaider* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Florida too.... I expect 8-12 goals these next two games, and 4-5 vs the Isles... They will break out these next three, or we may have to be concerned..

Let's hope the "flu-like" symptoms don't impact the upcoming games.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
thegodfather

Want to thank those who contributed to this thread.

Have to say I'm surprised that Chara was mentioned in so many posts as the one player who is least impressive.

I will say that Chara's game is off so far, but as a whole the entire teams game is off so far.

It seems like the team is still missing passes, be it they are to far ahead or behind. The break downs in the defensive zone are something I'm personally not used to seeing in a Julien coached team.

I'm going to throw this one last question out to you guys and gals.

Some have said our team will be okay because they all know each other and have played together for so long, they are all friends.

So my new question is this.

Could the fact this team has been together for so long be hurting the team ? Whats that saying about being content.....

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
nords1995

Marchand

I don't feel the Bruins are on their game yet and March calender

Bruins physical game - and - presence especially on the third line

C+

Could the fact this team has been together for so long be hurting the team ? Whats that saying about being content.....
NO

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:

I think they were content last year. And now they're hungry again.

I think being together so long is going to benefit them as the season wears on. Having 17 guys who have won the Cup is going to be extremely beneficial when we get closer to playoff time and other teams are trying to land that guy who has the experience to use in the room.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
a) Marchand
b) Kelly
c) Offense (including power play)
d) C-. Getting the wins, but barely
e) They do seem complacent, however this will hopefully go away in the playoffs

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote