HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

GDT: India Labour Strike

Old
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
GDT: India Labour Strike

This is going to heavily affect my work because the workload for my team will be increased as the India team will not be at work. Some will be working from home, but not many as the infrastructure there doesn't easily support the required network connectivity and speeds to login from home. I asked one of my India-side friends if they were coming into work and they said no and that it wasn't safe to be outside. Kind of like Hotel Rwanda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ndtv.com/article/cheat-sheet/all-india-strike-tomorrow-banks-public-transport-likely-to-be-affected-332986
New Delhi: Eleven major trade unions are scheduled to participate in a two-day nationwide strike starting tomorrow. Industry body Assocham has appealed to central trade unions to call off their proposed strike, and estimated a loss of between 15-20 thousand crore rupees to the economy.
Here are the latest developments in the story:

The two-day strike may impact air travel as operations at various airports across the country could be crippled by the strike.

Assocham president Rajkumar Dhoot said banking, insurance and transport, and industrial production may also take a hit. Even the agriculture sector would be affected as the movement of vegetables, a highly perishable item, would be disrupted.

The employees of the Reserve Bank of India have said they will participate in the two-day strike though the Finance Ministry has appealed to bank employees not to join in.

The major unions participating in the strike are Bhartiya Mazdoor Sabha, INTUC, All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC), HMS, Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) and All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC).

The unions have put forward 10 demands which mainly relate to checking of price rise, generation of employment, halting of disinvestment in public sector enterprises and implementation of labour laws.

States like West Bengal, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and parts of Uttar Pradesh are likely to be affected significantly.

In Andhra Pradesh, the Telangana Rashtra Samithi or TRS has announced its support to the two-day general strike. TRS President K Chandrasekhar Rao, in a release, appealed to the party cadres to make the strike a success.

People in Kerala were today seen queuing up outside state-owned retail liquor vends or rushing to buy vegetables, meat and fish ahead of the strike. "From what we hear and see, the strike will be total and not a single shop will open," said a resident of Thiruvananthapuram.

The Kerala government has made elaborate arrangements and directed police to ensure that there is no law and order violation. Public transport could also be affected in the state as around 40,000 private buses, taxis and auto-rickshaws may stay go off the roads.

The state government has announced that there would be no pay if its employees do not turn up for work during the strike and has asked office heads to submit attendance statement by 10.30 am on both days.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Go Indian People!

TL;DR

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

vCash: 50
tldr

Why are they angry?

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

The government is keeping the people from purchasing gold. Gold is supremely important to Indian culture.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

subtle brag thread about having a job that does a lot of it's work via outsourcing to India.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:32 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
subtle brag thread about having a job that does a lot of it's work via outsourcing to India.
I thought everyone on hf was in their early 30's working for an F500. No?

Old
02-19-2013, 03:33 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Not early 30s.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Hi.

Keep posts on topic, please and thanks.

Carry on.

02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
BPR*

Lame

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Radical

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:13 PM
BPR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Radical
I say "radical"! That's my thing that I say!

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Serious question: does this affect tech support centers?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Dave

Kind of like hotel rwanda? Do you even know what that movie is about? I'm not sure what's going on in India, but I'd imagine a labor strike wont turn into a 3 month long genocide with the number of deaths approaching 10,000/day.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Shouldn't this be in the politics thread?

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
seafoam

Don't tell me more.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:36 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Kind of like hotel rwanda? Do you even know what that movie is about? I'm not sure what's going on in India, but I'd imagine a labor strike wont turn into a 3 month long genocide with the number of deaths approaching 10,000/day.
No kidding. I laughed.

Methinks he needs a history lesson.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Will 7/11s be able to stay open?

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Will 7/11s be able to stay open?

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Matt Cooke is to blame.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
awesomo
HARD!

im surprised the world hasnt come crashing down yet

i wonder if WIND call center works right now

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Corey Perry*

****, and I was just going to call tech support.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:17 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Fair point - apologies for the over-dramatization. My contact on the India side just said "it's not safe to be outside".

Old
02-19-2013, 11:18 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/19/indian-workers-plan-nationwide-strike-against-anti-labor-policies/
Millions of Indian workers were expected to join a two-day nationwide strike starting Wednesday in protest against “anti-labour” economic reforms introduced by the embattled Congress government.

Premier Manmohan Singh has appealed to unions to abandon the strike, the latest in a string of protests against liberalisation, warning it would cause a “loss to our economy” already poised for its slowest annual growth in a decade.

A one-day strike against reforms last September cost Asia’s third-largest economy $2.3 billion in lost output and trade, according to the Confederation of Indian Industry.

But talks following Singh’s appeal this week collapsed after the government refused to bow to union demands to roll back reforms, which are aimed at jumpstarting the economy and averting a downgrade in India’s credit rating.

“The workers are being totally ignored and this is reflected in the government’s anti-labour policies,” said Tapan Sen, general secretary of the umbrella Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU).

The 11 unions behind the strike plan to block rail and road traffic, and said operations of state-run banks would be disrupted.

The government’s “big ticket” reforms include opening retail, insurance and aviation sectors to wider foreign investment, hiking prices of subsidised diesel used by farmers and reducing the number of discounted cooking gas cylinders.

The steps aimed at freeing up the still heavily state-controlled economy and lowering India’s ballooning subsidy bill and fiscal deficit have stirred wide public anger, especially among the poor.

“The last time that we called a strike (in February 2012), nearly 100 million workers participated. This time we’re expecting a bigger number,” Sen told AFP.

The protest was expected to have maximum impact in eastern West Bengal, where unions enjoy significant clout. The walkout could also have a big effect in southern Kerala state where strikes are common.

It might be business as usual however in financial hub Mumbai, where some unions said they would not protest.

An overtly patchwork response indicating a lessening of union influence would be welcome news for the government, which has been buffeted by graft scandals, the weakening economy and stubbornly high inflation, analysts said.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Indias such as **** show.

Far to much protectionism goes on along with corruption.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Yeah, they should learn from us. After all, when we brought down all the trade barriers, castrated the unions, and wiped out the welfare state, our living standards shot way up, right?

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote