HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

vCash: 500
I think we have a much bigger chance of getting a good return for RoR now than we have in the summer. Right now there are some desperate teams out there. In the summer you dont see that desperation. And with the cap going down, might factor in as well..

Old
02-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I think we have a much bigger chance of getting a good return for RoR now than we have in the summer. Right now there are some desperate teams out there. In the summer you dont see that desperation. And with the cap going down, might factor in as well..
I dunno...I don't see teams desperate to save THIS season doling out maximum price for O'Reilly. Colorado is asking for major building pieces in exchange for a major building piece. Those are the kinds of deals usually done in the offseason.

I'm still hoping O'Reilly AND the Avs come to their senses in that time, but it's probably too much to ask at this point.

Speaking of trade rumors...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...illy-talk.html

Quote:
Still, Friedman's speculation could start tongues wagging over a “Weiss-for-O'Reilly” swap.
Um...no, no tongues wagging over here, unless you mean from a gag reflex.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 PM
shadow1

That's just speculation from Spector. Unless it were a blockbuster which saw Colorado sending/receiving additional players, I'm pretty sure we won't see Stephen Weiss in an Avalanche jersey this season.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
That's just speculation from Spector. Unless it were a blockbuster which saw Colorado sending/receiving additional players, I'm pretty sure we won't see Stephen Weiss in an Avalanche jersey this season.
Yea he's usually got some fairly level headed analysis, but that was a pretty dumb thought that they would trade O'Reilly for a pending UFA.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
I can't see Sherman 'waste' an asset like O'Reilly on a pending UFA. It would go against pretty much everything he's done in the past.

Florida has at least a handful players that I would imagine being more attractive.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:06 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I can't see Sherman 'waste' an asset like O'Reilly on a pending UFA. It would go against pretty much everything he's done in the past.

Florida has at least a handful players that I would imagine being more attractive.
Yes. Sherman usually makes sure he trades UFA for UFA and RFA for RFA.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. Teams have had their rosters set from the get-go this season and unless they are giving up a package of prospects + picks, it's going to cost something from their roster to get ROR.

However, if you fast forward to the draft, teams have done their after season 'post mortems' on their clubs and are essentially making decisions whether to re-sign upcoming UFAs and what not. If they can snag RoR, perhaps they don't re-sign "X" they weren't certain about and allows them to target another player to replace the roster player they just lost in exchange over the summer.

Of course interest should heat up between now and the April 3rd trade deadline and there could be a team that would give up a large part of their future if they feel RoR is the last missing piece. Although I'm not certain the teams in the east that would be interested are necessarily in a position to contend for the cup:

Interest in RoR AND could have the assets to pull it off
Montreal - maybe
NY Rangers - maybe
Winnipeg - maybe
NY Islanders - maybe
Florida - maybe
Buffalo - maybe
Washington - maybe
Ottawa - maybe (I'm guessing they'd put Turris on the wing?)

Toronto - doubtful (their GM doesn't have the BALLS to give up what's needed)
New Jersey - doubtful (I don't think they have the assets)

Carolina - no (Staal,Staal,Skinner)
Boston - no (Bergeron,Krejci)
Pittsburgh - no (Crosby,Malkin)
Tampa Bay - no (Stamkos,LeCavalier)
Philly - no (Giroux,Schenn)

Regardless, I still think the Avs are doing it right at the moment. Sit back, field offers and compare and take your time. I think they'll wait until they get exactly what they need going forward and won't pull the trigger until they get it. AT WORST, they'll wait until draft day and trade him to a team with a high pick along with a roster player. That's the way I see it going down if he's not traded before then.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Do you guys think his trade value miiiight go down just a tad if he doesn't play at all this season? (The handfull of games in Russia doesn't really count)

Old
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
TheStranger

I could see Pittsburgh moving Malkin to the wing. However, I don't think O'Reilly would be any better than Jordan Staal and they tried that already.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Do you guys think his trade value miiiight go down just a tad if he doesn't play at all this season? (The handfull of games in Russia doesn't really count)
No, why?

Old
02-21-2013, 10:13 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
No, why?
Sitting out a full season doesn't really make a player better does it? Might at least be used as an argument for other teams.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Sitting out a full season doesn't really make a player better does it? Might at least be used as an argument for other teams.
It also means he'll be fully healthy. I suppose you could argue he's now missed a year to build off his fantastic season, but nevertheless, that breakout season still gave potential trading partners a taste of what he could become. I don't think anyone will argue that missing a season actually hampered his development though.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea he's usually got some fairly level headed analysis, but that was a pretty dumb thought that they would trade O'Reilly for a pending UFA.
Especially since Weiss probably wants more then what he is making now for a long while. In which case the Avs would just sign RoR if they had no problem paying that for a center.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/21/nhl-tra...er-weiss-more/

-_-

What does Dater really know if the Avs keep everything quiet better than almost anyone?

Old
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
It also means he'll be fully healthy. I suppose you could argue he's now missed a year to build off his fantastic season, but nevertheless, that breakout season still gave potential trading partners a taste of what he could become. I don't think anyone will argue that missing a season actually hampered his development though.
I don't think there's any question that not playing at age 22 is a hindrance to development and value. And showing petulance, perceived or real, is a hit to trade value as well. That said, I love O'Rielly's game and think he has Kesler written all over him. Its just that I think your argument is faulty. Missing a season absolutely would lessen his trade value.

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-21-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: deleted the last part
Old
02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Not sure this was brought up, but sounds like MDZ dinged up tonight. People get hurt just for being rumored to be an Av now. The Curse is strong!

Old
02-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Ryan O'Reilly ‏@Ryan_OReilly90

I had no idea of my dads letter to the Denver post. It's tough situation I apologize to anyone bothered by this. Hopefully its over soon.

We hope so too. And this is from his actual twitter account by the way.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Landeslog

Wow, if Ryan really didn't know about his dad sending in that letter I bet he's super embarrassed after reading it.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Avalanche

I bet we'll see twitter silence by papa o'reilly now

Old
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Lol...

"Dad, have you really sent a letter to the Denver Post explaining how good of a boy I am....?"

Old
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
This whole situation is making my head hurt (purely as a fan).

I can understand why Brian O'Reilly would have written that email and sent it to the Denver Post. He's a father, he may have felt like his son was being unfairly criticized/persecuted/whatever you want to call it. A father doesn't stop defending his children just because they've grown up.

I think the mistake was telling the Denver Post that they could put it up on a blog after getting it. He should have told them "No" and it would have been put to rest.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
02-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
This whole situation is making my head hurt (purely as a fan).

I can understand why Brian O'Reilly would have written that email and sent it to the Denver Post. He's a father, he may have felt like his son was being unfairly criticized/persecuted/whatever you want to call it. A father doesn't stop defending his children just because they've grown up.

I think the mistake was telling the Denver Post that they could put it up on a blog after getting it. He should have told them "No" and it would have been put to rest.
I agree, I really feel kinda bad for ROR at this point. He didnt even know that letter was sent and now he has to apologize for it.

Seriously Ryan...you could have avoided all of this...is the money really worth it? How many bridges have been burnt?

Old
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Ryan O'Reilly ‏@Ryan_OReilly90

I had no idea of my dads letter to the Denver post. It's tough situation I apologize to anyone bothered by this. Hopefully its over soon.
I believe him. I can't see him letting his dad send that email if he knew about it before hand. But Papa O'Reilly's tweets aren't much better and ROR hasn't put a stop to that. Unless he has been living in a cave since he got back from Russia, he must have heard what his dad has been saying and what the media/fans are saying about him. I guess the reaction to his email was really bad so he finally decided to break his twitter silence.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

This is all a grand scheme to make ROR look like the victim here. Put the blame on the psycho dad, bring ROR's reputation with the fans and the team back to good again. Then he resigns with us. Yea I can dream.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
This is all a grand scheme to make ROR look like the victim here. Put the blame on the psycho dad, bring ROR's reputation with the fans and the team back to good again. Then he resigns with us. Yea I can dream.
If only....then we could trade Staz...

Closed Thread