HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
"Hopefully its over soon."

Just sign the contract and it'll be over immediately.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
dahrougem2

vCash: 500
I don't believe him for one second. I think he sees all of the negative backlash and is looking to take the easy way out. Yes call me crazy but I don't buy this "character" of O'Reilly's at all. Maybe on the ice he works his tail off but off the ice it seems more and more like he's a self-centred, greedy person.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:03 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I agree, I really feel kinda bad for ROR at this point. He didnt even know that letter was sent and now he has to apologize for it.

Seriously Ryan...you could have avoided all of this...is the money really worth it? How many bridges have been burnt?
At least one...the bridge contract.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:06 AM
avsfan09

Everyday I wake up hoping this will be over and everyday I wake up disapointed. Must be ten times worse for O'reilly.

I can't wait for this to be over so we can find out all the details. I really like O'reilly as a person and a player but he should have signed a bridge contract. There has to be more to the story.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Ryan O'Reilly ‏@Ryan_OReilly90

I had no idea of my dads letter to the Denver post. It's tough situation I apologize to anyone bothered by this. Hopefully its over soon.

We hope so too. And this is from his actual twitter account by the way.
Wow, that's really impressive to see him say that. Makes me think maybe his dad isn't driving this thing, and is just a bistander with an imbalanced and unmedicated brain, and a biased opinion.

Ryan, can you please just take a step back and make a humble decision to sign a bridge contract, and put this unfortunate experience behind you? Two years at $3.5M per is not a bad offer. We can get past this, and you can be a big part of this team's future and present.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
At least one...the bridge contract.
Pure gold

Old
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as I want this to be over as well, I'm ok with the Avs to take their time ans=d get the best deal possible.
The deal I would like is RoR for Brennan and Girgensons. We might have to add something.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
As much as I want this to be over as well, I'm ok with the Avs to take their time ans=d get the best deal possible.
The deal I would like is RoR for Brennan and Girgensons. We might have to add something.
I certainly wouldn't ADD to that, let alone take it straight up. There are much better offers than 2 unproven prospects

Old
02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I feel sorry that his father embarrassed him in a very public way and that he has to apologize for him. He didn't deserve that and there is no reason to believe he had any control of it. Quite the opposite.

If I am allowed to be slightly cynical, I think this tweet may as much have been aimed at Eastern GMs/teams as it was to Avs fans. If you want to get traded and your dad goes Carl Lindros on you, I think you would be worried about that hurting your chances of getting traded.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

I'm not sure i totally believe the "apology." It seems more like a damage control move. Sort of like they knew it was going out they just weren't expecting the type of reaction to it they got.

Still...even if he comes to his senses and signs the deal, he's still gonna be moved. A definite contract in place just makes it all that easier to move him.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:30 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
I certainly wouldn't ADD to that, let alone take it straight up. There are much better offers than 2 unproven prospects
Understand they are both unproven but I've seen Brennan play a few games in the NHL and he handled himself very well.

As for Girgensons, if there is one unproven player that I feel comfortable will succeed in the NHL, it's him. I've watched him a few times now against LEM and he is very good at both ends of the ice.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Just come back Ryan

Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Just come back Ryan
It's sad...I was thinking about O'Reilly at work today and suddenly this song came on.

On a side note, some pretty harsh words for the Lacroix Brain Trust:

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/21/nhl-tra...er-weiss-more/

Quote:
They’ve shown themselves to be a petty, vindictive organization in the past, so this course of action doesn’t seem just likely, but probable.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
This is turning into a PR nightmare for the O'Reilly camp. It probably won't hurt him in the long run, but the perception of this holdout by the media and a lot of fans sure has changed over the past week.

For an Avalanche organization that is so much about appearances, O'Reilly Sr. sure did them a favor with that e-mail.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:25 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Just come back Ryan
this.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
This is turning into a PR nightmare for the O'Reilly camp. It probably won't hurt him in the long run, but the perception of this holdout by the media and a lot of fans sure has changed over the past week.

For an Avalanche organization that is so much about appearances, O'Reilly Sr. sure did them a favor with that e-mail.
Very sad. I can only imagine what Ryan must be thinking right now. I'm close with my old man, and if I saw him being torn apart in the court of public opinion I'd take it very personally.

Nonetheless, both organization and player are taking a BEATING here. I just wish this sordid affair would end. I wish both sides would just swallow their ****ing pride and hash things out.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
This whole holdout situation is clearly a cover by the Avalanche as they secretly train O'Reilly to be their partner for EJ.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
From Dater's latest mailbag:

Quote:
I have found myself more in agreement with Avs management lately — imagine that? — over the Ryan O'Reilly saga. I just think O'Reilly got some bad advice in trying to back up the money truck so soon on the Avs, instead of taking a more realistic shorter-term deal.

I can promise you this: Many players in the Avs dressing room are not ripping management publicly or privately over their stand with O'Reilly. Quite the opposite, in fact. One good year doesn't entitle you to a big, fat, long-term deal the next year. Not at this stage of his career, at least. He still has more to prove, but every day he sits out waiting for more money, that's one less day he gets to prove it.
http://www.denverpost.com/avsmailbag...ble?source=rss

It's Dater and I know people will say who cares he's just making **** up but I thought that second part was interesting. He has been pushing that Duchene vs O'Reilly stuff on twitter and now he says many players are doing the opposite of ripping management over this. So they're siding with management or ripping O'Reilly?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:04 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
From Dater's latest mailbag:

http://www.denverpost.com/avsmailbag...ble?source=rss

It's Dater and I know people will say who cares he's just making **** up but I thought that second part was interesting. He has been pushing that Duchene vs O'Reilly stuff on twitter and now he says many players are doing the opposite of ripping management over this. So they're siding with management or ripping O'Reilly?
Dater likes to stir **** up. His constant focus on Andy, Shatty and Stewart is evidence of this. He likes to take a lot of passive aggressive shots at Avs management, knowing full well they'll never respond.

Just look at the latest mess. He must have been drooling when El Loco O'Reilly gave him the ok to publish because Dater knew exactly what reaction it would get. And now, as an added bonus, he gets to cover the son's apology over the mess he has a part in creating. Not saying Dater did anything wrong. It's way too juicy for a journalist to pass up a slam dunk like this. But he knew how people would react.

I don't think you should take his opinion pieces seriously. He doesn't seem to, since he'll change his opinion all the time.

I do think Dater gets way too much crap around here. He's a solid enough beat writer. But he has partly himself to blame because he likes to provoke and it rubs people the wrong way.

Last edited by Freudian: 02-22-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Mant*

Quote:
The best possible deal is not a trade... it's O'Reilly accepting the fair bridge deal he was offered and returning to the team.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I'm not sure i totally believe the "apology." It seems more like a damage control move. Sort of like they knew it was going out they just weren't expecting the type of reaction to it they got.

Still...even if he comes to his senses and signs the deal, he's still gonna be moved. A definite contract in place just makes it all that easier to move him.
Agree with the first part. I don't believe for a second that his Dad sat down, wrote a long elaborate letter and sent to the media with Ryan seeing it or not knowing about it. I don't buy that at ALL.

This kid just isn't smart. And now we know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree either.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Agree with the first part. I don't believe for a second that his Dad sat down, wrote a long elaborate letter and sent to the media with Ryan seeing it or not knowing about it. I don't buy that at ALL.

This kid just isn't smart. And now we know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree either.
What's so elaborate about it? He could've write in 5 mins for all we know. Why, is the apology so hard to believe? Funny thing is he has nothing to apologize for.

Do you know him personally? Nope, so you can't really say if he's dumb or not. Holding out for a contract doesn't make you stupid maybe stubborn and prideful but not dumb. The PA was doing esstientially the sane thing earlier this year. I guess all hockey players are idiots and selfish people.

Getting tired of seeing people rip on this guy. Reminds me of last year with Duchene and year before with Andy.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
What's so elaborate about it? He could've write in 5 mins for all we know. Why, is the apology so hard to believe? Funny thing is he has nothing to apologize for.

Do you know him personally? Nope, so you can't really say if he's dumb or not. Holding out for a contract doesn't make you stupid maybe stubborn and prideful but not dumb. The PA was doing esstientially the sane thing earlier this year. I guess all hockey players are idiots and selfish people.

Getting tired of seeing people rip on this guy. Reminds me of last year with Duchene and year before with Andy.
I wasn't on the Andy train with folks. I actually thought the Avs management kind of stumbled on that one. I guess they were playing asset management in getting Elliott but then they let him go too, which I couldn't understand - either keep the impending UFA and keep the door open, or get an asset and see where it goes. Elliott didn't get much of a chance at all here. I peg Duchene's turnaround to Andy O'Brien. Since day one I always thought Duchene needed to bulk up in the same manner that Stamkos did. Always getting knocked off the puck in his rookie year - everyone noticed it. I think weights are going to be a big factor in Duchene's career and he's finally taken the steps towards that. It's paying off.

This ROR case though boggles my mind the longer it goes on. He could have made 3.5 million this year and now he's not going to make zilch. He wants in the neighborhood of $5M but the max he's probably going to get with anyone is $4.5 (you never know, but I am estimating. Who knows Burke may pay him $7M but chances are slim now that he's been out almost a year). Why go on with this thing and lose a year's salary? Take the 2 year contract and then see where it goes. It's just not making financial sense anymore to hold out. You can tell that emotions have taken this whole thing over and everything else has been tossed aside. But to lose one year of a player's career in his young 20's in any sport is just a poor choice IMO. Doesn't help anyone - the organization, the player, his development, or his pocketbook. Sports careers are so short. I understand the player has to leverage negotiations to pull as much money as you can in your brief time, but this is starting to not make sense from a $$ bottom line perspective. You just hate to see a guy have 8-10 years in his prime and piss one of them away.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
Wow, if Ryan really didn't know about his dad sending in that letter I bet he's super embarrassed after reading it.
Is there a link to the entire letter somewhere?

EDIT: I've seen the letter to the DP. I guess I'm asking for the letter sent by his agent that argues his worth...

Old
02-22-2013, 07:58 AM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Is there a link to the entire letter somewhere?

EDIT: I've seen the letter to the DP. I guess I'm asking for the letter sent by his agent that argues his worth...
All I've seen is a post or two by TPS about the agent's letter.

Closed Thread