HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
avalanchuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Is there a link to the entire letter somewhere?

EDIT: I've seen the letter to the DP. I guess I'm asking for the letter sent by his agent that argues his worth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
All I've seen is a post or two by TPS about the agent's letter.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=293

Old
02-22-2013, 09:30 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Dater likes to stir **** up. His constant focus on Andy, Shatty and Stewart is evidence of this. He likes to take a lot of passive aggressive shots at Avs management, knowing full well they'll never respond.

Just look at the latest mess. He must have been drooling when El Loco O'Reilly gave him the ok to publish because Dater knew exactly what reaction it would get. And now, as an added bonus, he gets to cover the son's apology over the mess he has a part in creating. Not saying Dater did anything wrong. It's way too juicy for a journalist to pass up a slam dunk like this. But he knew how people would react.
I thought you were referring to me for a second. :-!

Old
02-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 976
Let say that we buy the "i didnt know what my dad did" theory and that in fact, O'Reilly is really sorry and ashame of his dad. Then Radar have only have thing to do and it's the sign a bridge contract and return with the team ASAP.

Option #1 , He sit with his agent and they work something with the Avs , quickly

Option #2, Would be for Ryan to fired his agent, hired a new agency and re-start the negociation with the Avs, on a clean sheet.

Again , let say that Ryan is the victim in all this, then he should prove his good faith and make it happend .
If not ? Well it's just a PR move from Radar to save his reputation infront of the fans.

Ryan , You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
It's time to give your words real meaning by acting on them.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
From Dater's latest mailbag:

I have found myself more in agreement with Avs management lately imagine that? over the Ryan O'Reilly saga. I just think O'Reilly got some bad advice in trying to back up the money truck so soon on the Avs, instead of taking a more realistic shorter-term deal.

I can promise you this: Many players in the Avs dressing room are not ripping management publicly or privately over their stand with O'Reilly. Quite the opposite, in fact. One good year doesn't entitle you to a big, fat, long-term deal the next year. Not at this stage of his career, at least. He still has more to prove, but every day he sits out waiting for more money, that's one less day he gets to prove it.
this to me is the part that fans need to wrap their heads around. the Avs were never in the wrong.
but until the dad got involved and started spouting off, some were still criticizing the team for handling it wrong?
he's had one good season, one out of three.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
this to me is the part that fans need to wrap their heads around. the Avs were never in the wrong.
but until the dad got involved and started spouting off, some were still criticizing the team for handling it wrong?
one good offensive season sure but hes been good all 3 seasons and improving every year.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's because some of this fan base always gravitate towards Avs being a terrible and classless organization as the explanation for everything.

Let's establish that apart from Turris, I can't recall a single player in the last decade that's done what O'Reilly is doing now. Out of all the RFAs of 30 teams.

I think it's obvious that this is mostly a player created mess and I think he's stubborn enough to see it all the way through.

He seems to be a really nice guy. I don't think he is fake in any way. He just has a different way of thinking of how he should be valued and appreciated by Avs than pretty much every other player. He seems to have taken any hesitation or criticism as a personal insult and now he's painted himself in a corner. In the process his dad's reputation has been hurt and his reputation has been hurt. It's a shame.

What should have been a two minute conversation "We offer you two years, $7M" "Thanks, see you at camp" has ended up in this nightmare. Ugh.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
one good offensive season sure but hes been good all 3 seasons and improving every year.
Therefore he's the greatest talent at center in the last 25 years!

Old
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
yeah but unless you're a defenseman the stuff he does doesn't get you paid big unless you tack on that 55 pt season.
two way hockey is great, but offense gets you paid in the NHL as a forward.
he doesn't even have a 20 goal season under his belt, not even a 40 assist season.
this is not like he's broken out into a offensive juggernaut and put up 70+ pts.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
It's because some of this fan base always gravitate towards Avs being a terrible and classless organization as the explanation for everything.

Let's establish that apart from Turris, I can't recall a single player in the last decade that's done what O'Reilly is doing now. Out of all the RFAs of 30 teams.

I think it's obvious that this is mostly a player created mess and I think he's stubborn enough to see it all the way through.

He seems to be a really nice guy. I don't think he is fake in any way. He just has a different way of thinking of how he should be valued and appreciated by Avs than pretty much every other player. He seems to have taken any hesitation or criticism as a personal insult and now he's painted himself in a corner. In the process his dad's reputation has been hurt and his reputation has been hurt. It's a shame.

What should have been a two minute conversation "We offer you two years, $7M" "Thanks, see you at camp" has ended up in this nightmare. Ugh.
i was already on the Avs side of the fence, Subban signing for what he did and ROR still holding out as the only RFA in the entire league just pushed me further there.
i am not a fan of teams giving up big money for guys who haven't put up the stats to back up their demands on a consistent basis.
i don't see ROR as a 3.5 mil per player, you'd be paying for future potential. which is fine since that's normally what happens in these scenarios. i've said all along he should really be making 2.5-3.0 mil. but he will likely make 3.5-3.75 mil.

his problem is that he's stuck on being the leading scorer for the club last season. he's probably thinking or letting his reps say for him "i did better than Duchene last season by a wide margain, why should i take the same contract?"
26-26-55, that's not worth the holdout that's taken place.

i feel completely comfortable in saying that i hope the Avs hold onto him until they get the perfect deal that fully satisfies them.
even if it takes until the draft or beyond that.
he's hurting himself and no one else, he's missing out on money, putting himself farther away from UFA and now any team he goes to he will be under enormous pressure to produce as a top tier C based upon his apparent view of his skills.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:

Yep. At this point ROR is hurting himself more than anything. The organization isn't in the wrong by pushing for a bridge contract. ROR hasn't fully earned a long-term big money deal. You can say he projects the he will earn it, but that projection could easily be wrong. I don't even think that the 5 year 17m deal is that offensive. It did show that the Avs were willing to give on the years, but are not willing to take the risk of investing a ton of money on projections of what ROR might become.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Let's just keep our Mike Richards clone, please.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Let's just keep our Mike Richards clone, please.
Without the Mike Richards' contract and I am in total agreement. I'd rather keep ROR and trade Stastny at the draft. Sadly, I don't really think that is possible.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
The reason this is hard is because of how far under the cap we are. For a lot of fans that dont really think about what a contract today will do to a contract tomorrow, that 18 mil is money that should be used and used on ROR.

This whole thing has been difficult for us fans. On the one hand we have an organization that has struggled for 4 years at least that isnt spending to get better. Is that good? or bad? Its hard to tell. Right now we say bad because we are still a ways off from being a contender.

I think you are right though. The Avs made the right offers. I do not know what they did to insult ROR. Perhaps its just the people around him hyping him up to himself which would be VERY unfortunate. Hes a great player and we all want him back in the worst way, but we CANNOT have another Staz contract.

Do you think if I asked Ryan to sign with the Avs for my birthday he would do it?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:51 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Wonder when something will happen. Right away or deadline day?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Wonder when something will happen. Right away or deadline day?
Considering he isn't playing hockey a smart team would make the move now. Although if they get him at the deadline he will have enough time to get into game shape.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
wondeROY

haha just saw the ROR tweet, looks like it already hit this board. What a giant flustercluck this is becoming. We need to trade this kid now, it's just causing too much of a distraction.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
The reason this is hard is because of how far under the cap we are. For a lot of fans that dont really think about what a contract today will do to a contract tomorrow, that 18 mil is money that should be used and used on ROR.

This whole thing has been difficult for us fans. On the one hand we have an organization that has struggled for 4 years at least that isnt spending to get better. Is that good? or bad? Its hard to tell. Right now we say bad because we are still a ways off from being a contender.

I think you are right though. The Avs made the right offers. I do not know what they did to insult ROR. Perhaps its just the people around him hyping him up to himself which would be VERY unfortunate. Hes a great player and we all want him back in the worst way, but we CANNOT have another Staz contract.

Do you think if I asked Ryan to sign with the Avs for my birthday he would do it?
I really hope that in 5 years we will look back on this cluster **** and believe that. I don't think we are going to though. My guess is that we are going to go through this a few more times with some key guys. We aren't a cap team anymore, and we are going to start losing players like a small market team.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Considering he isn't playing hockey a smart team would make the move now. Although if they get him at the deadline he will have enough time to get into game shape.
Yeah, but the Avs dictate when it happens. Does a deadline deal increase or decrease his potential value? That needs to be the real question.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
raistlin76

Quote:

The cap will drop next year. It also is the last year of Duchene, Landeskog and Varly contracts and all three get rise over their current contract esp. Duchene if he continues his play. Also EJ contract is up, and who knows how much he demands. Even that Stastny contract will be gone doesen't give that much room to manouver. Especially if AVS think about any UFA signings when you have to overpay.
This is wise from management that they stick to plan and don't overpay young player after just one good year. I'd love to see Ryan back, but he has to realize it's not a bad deal if you get 7 million in two years. The best he can do is to act like Bobby Ryan, kick his agent butt, don't listen to his father and go to Denver, to Sherman office and agree 2 years 7 million contract. IMHO that's how you can show character and that your math score is 95 instead of 65. But I don't think it will happens which is sad

Old
02-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Ciccio1980

It's obvious this is about him wanting out
How about gardiner and grabovski and the leafs retain 2 m in salary

Old
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
The cap will drop next year. It also is the last year of Duchene, Landeskog and Varly contracts and all three get rise over their current contract esp. Duchene if he continues his play. Also EJ contract is up, and who knows how much he demands. Even that Stastny contract will be gone doesen't give that much room to manouver. Especially if AVS think about any UFA signings when you have to overpay.
This is wise from management that they stick to plan and don't overpay young player after just one good year. I'd love to see Ryan back, but he has to realize it's not a bad deal if you get 7 million in two years. The best he can do is to act like Bobby Ryan, kick his agent butt, don't listen to his father and go to Denver, to Sherman office and agree 2 years 7 million contract. IMHO that's how you can show character and that your math score is 95 instead of 65. But I don't think it will happens which is sad
Just a correction; EJ is signed until the end of the 2015-16 season. Same as Parenteau and Jones. Those three are our longest contracts.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I hope/think a deal will happen soon. I don't know if his value will be any more after the season, considering he will have lost almost a year of development. Teams are going to want him on the ice to help them make the playoffs, and his return would help the Avs do the same.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:

i'm not going to get started on the cap situation and FA. the Avs are the Yankees, strictly building from within is not going to cut it.
they have to supplement homegrown with FA.

almost every contract we had come up for was an easy process except this one. hell EJ and Duchene were considered the most difficult to get done and they were easy as pie and for insane value.

Old
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Yeah, but the Avs dictate when it happens. Does a deadline deal increase or decrease his potential value? That needs to be the real question.
My understanding is that they are gathering offers right now. Then they will start negotiating (LOL, Sorry ROR) with teams and using other offers as leverage. I don't know if it would be a good thing for us if it takes until the deadline. It definitely won't be good for our team on the ice, but it may be better in the future.

Old
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
It's obvious this is about him wanting out
How about gardiner and grabovski and the leafs retain 2 m in salary
It's believed that the Avs have little interest in bringing in a centre in the deal. Grabovski doesn't really fit. Kulemin and Gardiner would make much more sense.

Closed Thread