HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJoe View Post
We are going to trade this guy, man we will regret the upcoming trade. Bar none my favourite player on this team, pure heart and soul, I shake my head even thinking about it.
I couldn't even watch it. Turned it off after 10 seconds. I can't believe it either.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Hi avs fans, Jets fan with the obligatory "coming in peace"

To start off, I do have an idea of how this pisses off fans of the team. We went through the same sort of stuff with Evander Kane before he signed. I like how you guys are taking this somewhat positively, trying to turn a minus into a plus.

That being said, as a Jets fan we're definitely interested in ROR. He would instantly slot in between either Ladd/Kane on the left side and Wheeler on the right side. Little is between Ladd and Wheeler right now, he's a great center, but I think he's better at RW. So ROR himself should be interested in going to the Jets.

As far as trade bait, all we can offer for roster players currently is Burmistrov and Little. We would need to keep our top wingers (Ladd/Kane/Wheeler) as we lack top 9 talent in that area, pretty much all our other forwards are older(Antropov/Wellwood/Jokinen/Miettenen) or waiver wire pickups/4th liners. I'm positive the avs would want a young talented roster player, Burmi and Little are pretty much the only two available.

Our defense is decimated, we went from 8 healthy D (that lasted a whole 3 minutes of ice time) to 6 in a very short period. Enstrom is week to week and Redmond is out for the season(cut to the leg). Previously we were thinking of Little + Postma or Burmi + Postma, but that's no longer on the table. Our goal depth is terrible, we currently have our "ok" AHL goalie as our backup.

Our prospect depth consists of Trouba and Scheifele. There are other promising prospects, but none that currently project as NHL caliber. Scott Kosmachuk and Adam Lowry do have potential. We also have tons of picks, all our 2013 picks except 7th plus Chicagos 2nd and 3rd, plus #59 overall. All our picks plus NJD's 4th next year.
Welcome allen, I think I've seen you here once or twice before, am I right?

As I've stated a couple of times before, I think if O'Reilly is dealt, then the Jets should be prime contenders for his services. They've got some attractive trade pieces, mainly Bryan Little, someone who GM Greg Sherman has apparently been interested in before.

If I were Sherman, I would have asked for something around ROR+ for Little and Trouba.

What that "+" is would remain to be seen because it would have to be a quality piece. Perhaps some sort of combo of Elliott/2nd Rd Pick and then a depth defender like O'Byrne/O'Brien (which teams will always look for at trade deadline day to acquire, they can be turned into a 3rd rounder imo)

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJoe View Post
We are going to trade this guy, man we will regret the upcoming trade. Bar none my favourite player on this team, pure heart and soul, I shake my head even thinking about it.
When you are acting like O'Reilly is, you aren't pure heart and soul. You're a guy with good work ethic and hustle who think you are bigger than the team.

Duchene beats O'Reilly in the heart and soul race by a mile.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
When you are acting like O'Reilly is, you aren't pure heart and soul. You're a guy with good work ethic and hustle who think you are bigger than the team.

I agree with this. Nonetheless, it's a player's egotism vs. an organization's megalomania. Everyone loses.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:02 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:

Yep. An important lesson for us as fans, we often confuse hustle for character.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I think it was bad for the Jets anyways.
If we want Trouba and Little we would have to include one of our top prospects. Barrie looks like a stud right now. Elliott has more upside than Barrie but is atleast a year away and has major questionmarks defensively.

I would do ROR + Sgarbossa/Elliott for Little + Trouba + (maybe a 3rd or 4th?).
I am a big Trouba fan.
I don't know if the Jets would take it or if I am overvaluing Trouba but I believe he has #1 potential
Jets would not do it.

Trouba has the potential to be a really special player and the difference between what I see in Elliot and Trouba his bigger that the difference between ROR and Little (I am a huge fans of ROR but i have doubts about Elliott).

So adding a pick for the jets is not needed

Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I think it was bad for the Jets anyways.
If we want Trouba and Little we would have to include one of our top prospects. Barrie looks like a stud right now. Elliott has more upside than Barrie but is atleast a year away and has major questionmarks defensively.

I would do ROR + Sgarbossa/Elliott for Little + Trouba + (maybe a 3rd or 4th?).
I am a big Trouba fan.
I don't know if the Jets would take it or if I am overvaluing Trouba but I believe he has #1 potential
I've thought about this a number of ways and I don't think the Avs would part with Elliott in this kind of deal. If, for whatever reason, Trouba doesn't hit his full potential and Elliott DOES, that would be one hell of a lopsided trade for the Jets.

I think most would agree that at this point having just turned 22, RoR > Little. With Little, turning 26 later this year, I think what you see is what you get and he's a good player and I really like the fact that he's versatile but I don't know that he's going to get a lot better than he already is. With RoR, I'd be surprised if that was the case. I can certainly see RoR put up 70+ pts playing with guys like Ladd and Wheeler.

I said earlier in the thread that I would be willing to part with one of our goaltender prospects (Pickard/Aittokallio) to get this deal done because we have 4 - 1st year pro guys but doing that, there is still a chance it might blow up in our face.

I think there is a basis for a deal here but it really depends on how high Jets management are on RoR and how high Avs are on Little + Trouba and if that's what they're looking for.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

After watching that ROR montage, boy had I forgotten just how good he was. He slows the game down when he has the puck and just always, always finds the open man, or find the open lane to shoot.

Even without the puck you can tell the game is at such a slow pace going through his mind, he can literally read everything and act on it rather then react.

He's going to be a hell of a player. I don't care if we got Crosby back for him, watching him leave will be a disappointing day. Avs and ROR need to man up here and put all there previous garbage behind and find a deal asap, the guy is just to good to lose.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Zandar

I see all the Jets offers and wonder why they all include guys like Elliott going to them when we have 4 goaltending prospects that may level out any "Little & top prospect" trade for O'Reilly. What we are weak on is quality depth on D prospect wise but have 4 goalie prospects. Probably something around O'Reilly/goalie for what the Jets have of interest.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I've thought about this a number of ways and I don't think the Avs would part with Elliott in this kind of deal. If, for whatever reason, Trouba doesn't hit his full potential and Elliott DOES, that would be one hell of a lopsided trade for the Jets.
That trade won't happen for salary cap reasons, plus Elliott doesn't have a lot of trade value. I don't think the Jets are interested.

Quote:
I think most would agree that at this point having just turned 22, RoR > Little.
Absolutely, this Jets fan agrees otherwise we wouldn't be talking about this trade.

Quote:
With Little, turning 26 later this year, I think what you see is what you get and he's a good player and I really like the fact that he's versatile but I don't know that he's going to get a lot better than he already is.
As I said before, money back guarantee you put him with a solid C and he has a very good year. He's better at wing than center.

Quote:
With RoR, I'd be surprised if that was the case. I can certainly see RoR put up 70+ pts playing with guys like Ladd and Wheeler.
Agree with that as well. Both players production would increase in this trade.

Quote:
I think there is a basis for a deal here but it really depends on how high Jets management are on RoR and how high Avs are on Little + Trouba and if that's what they're looking for.
I think leaving the core pieces as RoR + Little is essential. RoR is worth more than Little, but not that much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Welcome allen, I think I've seen you here once or twice before, am I right?
Maybe, I'll explain. First our trade proposals have changed. Before we had 8 healthy D, now we're down to 6. We have two injured D, and our AHL team has two injured D. If we have any more injuries, you'll see Campoli or even Ran_y freaking Jones in a Jets jersey(there's a reason the d is missing), or maybe some of our ECHL level prospects. It really is that bad.

Second, I was just throwing ideas out there. I didn't realize that the two teams actually seem to be decent trading partners, as long as the core of the deal is RoR and Little.

Quote:
If I were Sherman, I would have asked for something around ROR+ for Little and Trouba.
That's probably the stage of negotiations right now. Chevy wants Little + for RoR, Sherman wants Little + Trouba for RoR +.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

**** this entire situation.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Who were O'reillys linemates last year? behindthenet.ca doesn't seem to work for me right now.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
Who were O'reillys linemates last year? behindthenet.ca doesn't seem to work for me right now.
Landeskog and Winnik/Hejduk/Downie.

Leftwinglock is the best site for line combos.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:46 PM
volaju

Quote:
Landeskog was his left winger for the whole season. He had Winnik on the right side for the first half of the season or so, and then Downie once we acquired him.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
I see all the Jets offers and wonder why they all include guys like Elliott going to them when we have 4 goaltending prospects that may level out any "Little & top prospect" trade for O'Reilly. What we are weak on is quality depth on D prospect wise but have 4 goalie prospects. Probably something around O'Reilly/goalie for what the Jets have of interest.
Doubtful that Winnipeg is interested in trading for a goalie prospect. Their current franchise goaltender is only 24 and at the top of his game. Plenty of time for them to draft/develop them as the Avs have. I thought the Avs could sweeten the pot by throwing one of them in, but really, their value is low right now. Best to wait until at least one of them starts showing some real dominance in the minors.

What the Jets sorely need is top-four defenders and a top-line center. Avs have both of those, but I'd rather they not part with either. Certainly not Elliott or Barrie.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Landeskog and Winnik/Hejduk/Downie.

Leftwinglock is the best site for line combos.
There was some Red Wing fan site called left wing lock back in the day. I have a conditioned response not to click on that link, even though I want to.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Doubtful that Winnipeg is interested in trading for a goalie prospect. Their current franchise goaltender is only 24 and at the top of his game. Plenty of time for them to draft/develop them as the Avs have. I thought the Avs could sweeten the pot by throwing one of them in, but really, their value is low right now. Best to wait until at least one of them starts showing some real dominance in the minors.

What the Jets sorely need is top-four defenders and a top-line center. Avs have both of those, but I'd rather they not part with either. Certainly not Elliott or Barrie.
Agreed, can't trade Barrie right now, and I want to see Elliott paired with Siemens at the pro level before we think about trading him, especially considering his value is as low its ever been.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Honestly, I think RoR is sitting there wishing he hadn't let this happen.
Teams aren't busting our door down with trade offers, and the Avs sure as hell fire aren't going to budge from their stance.

Before this situation, RoR was considered captain material. Now, I'm not so sure. And the rest of the league may have their opinions of the Avs and how they have handled this, but I can guarantee there are probably just as many teams wondering who RoR thinks he is. One good season and he holds out? Not a good sign for the future IMO.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Honestly, I think RoR is sitting there wishing he hadn't let this happen.
Teams aren't busting our door down with trade offers, and the Avs sure as hell fire aren't going to budge from their stance.

Before this situation, RoR was considered captain material. Now, I'm not so sure. And the rest of the league may have their opinions of the Avs and how they have handled this, but I can guarantee there are probably just as many teams wondering who RoR thinks he is. One good season and he holds out? Not a good sign for the future IMO.
Yea, that's probably kind of an issue. I mean what are the Avs gonna say to other teams, "Uh yea, he's really holding out because we're ***holes. It's our fault really not his. He's a good kid, he won't cause you any problems."

Old
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, that's probably kind of an issue. I mean what are the Avs gonna say to other teams, "Uh yea, he's really holding out because we're ***holes. It's our fault really not his. He's a good kid, he won't cause you any problems."
It's gotten messy, and I'll be surprised if he's dealt this season.

If I'm another team remotely interested in RoR, I'd be asking myself "Is this kid going to give me problems when his contract is up?". One good season and RoR is holding out on the team that developed him. RED FLAG to the rest of the NHL right there.

I know teams are interested in him because of his great work ethic and leadership on the ice. But this move has damaged his rep & obviously, his relationship with the Avs.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:42 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

Curious as to ROR's value purely in picks. I 've seen picks thrown into trades and cant see a pattern for establishing value.
Not wanting Avs to do this, but if the Avs were looking just for picks in this year and next year's draft, what could be a fair offer from teams in these draft positions?
Team A (1-10)
Team B (11-20)
Team C (21-30)

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I wonder if the Avs are even considering letting other teams talk to O'Reilly before swinging a deal. If not they're only hurting his potential value since the team getting him would probably want some sort of guarantee that he won't hold out on them either.

Reportedly the Avs have not publicly declared a price for O'Reilly. According to Friedman they've just told anyone who calls to make an offer.

Those two things put together give me the slimmest of hopes that cooler heads will prevail and a deal can be reached...but not bloody likely.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:59 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Curious as to ROR's value purely in picks. I 've seen picks thrown into trades and cant see a pattern for establishing value.
Not wanting Avs to do this, but if the Avs were looking just for picks in this year and next year's draft, what could be a fair offer from teams in these draft positions?
Team A (1-10)
Team B (11-20)
Team C (21-30)
Considering '09 redrafts usually have O'Reilly around #4-5 in that ultra deep draft, I think a #3-5 pick straight up is pretty close. Draft charts should give a rough idea from there for lesser picks.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:01 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
I wonder if the Avs are even considering letting other teams talk to O'Reilly before swinging a deal. If not they're only hurting his potential value since the team getting him would probably want some sort of guarantee that he won't hold out on them either.

Reportedly the Avs have not publicly declared a price for O'Reilly. According to Friedman they've just told anyone who calls to make an offer.

Those two things put together give me the slimmest of hopes that cooler heads will prevail and a deal can be reached...but not bloody likely.
I too hope cooler heads prevail. One note, O'Reilly can talk to anyone as an RFA, no permission required.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
Quote:

He's RFA and unsigned. I'm pretty sure any team can talk to ROR any time they want. They'd be able to find out his $$$ demands, expectations, etc. before trading for him.

Closed Thread