HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 10:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Scouts from the following teams are at the Avs/Ducks game:

Rangers, Sabres, Hurricanes, Philly, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Boston and Winnipeg.
Interesting, it doesn't mean anything at all, but that there could be a package deal.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Interesting, it doesn't mean anything at all, but that there could be a package deal.
Yea, I mean that's got to be how you take that right? It's just a little too obvious that those are all rumored teams of interest.

Doesn't mean that the end deal will definitely be a package including someone playing tonight, but it at least seems as though it's being discussed, and they're evaluating some nuances in a certain player.

Anything they can add to O'Reilly means they're getting a better player or package to help this team. That's what they need to do.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Not that I'm necessarily promoting the idea with this statement, but I have a strong feeling one of Barrie or Elliott will be included with O'Reilly for a young offensive D, and a NHL forward or maybe a prospect. I've always felt they would trade one of them, though I'll admit I could be wrong.

I'm just speculating obviously, but those are the kind of guys you need to get a closer look at in person to evaluate the nuances in their game, and where they're at now since they haven't played a lot of NHL games until recently.

You can kind of get a good idea of other guys like O'Byrne or whoever without actually going to see them live.

BTW, another speculative idea. Does this mean O'Brien isn't likely to be involved since he didn't play tonight?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, I mean that's got to be how you take that right? It's just a little too obvious that those are all rumored teams of interest.

Doesn't mean that the end deal will definitely be a package including someone playing tonight, but it at least seems as though it's being discussed, and they're evaluating some nuances in a certain player.

Anything they can add to O'Reilly means they're getting a better player or package to help this team. That's what they need to do.
Yeah that is my thought as well.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:05 PM
chet1926

Since its like a 99.9% chance that he is getting traded these are my predictions:

1. To AVS:
Myers, Foligno

To BUF:
ROR, one of our multiple dmen (O'Byrne, Zanon, O'Brien, Hunwick)

2. TO AVS:
Bogosian, Scheifele

TO WIN:
ROR, Elliott

3. TO AVS:
MDZ, Kreider

TO NYR:
ROR, one of our dmen (O'Bryne, O'Brien, Zanon or Hunwick)

Old
02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Not that I'm necessarily promoting the idea with this statement, but I have a strong feeling one of Barrie or Elliott will be included with O'Reilly for a young offensive D, and a NHL forward or maybe a prospect. I've always felt they would trade one of them, though I'll admit I could be wrong.

I'm just speculating obviously, but those are the kind of guys you need to get a closer look at in person to evaluate the nuances in their game, and where they're at now since they haven't played a lot of NHL games until recently.

You can kind of get a good idea of other guys like O'Byrne or whoever without actually going to see them live.

BTW, another speculative idea. Does this mean O'Brien isn't likely to be involved since he didn't play tonight?
You're probably on the right track with this thinking. The Avalanche has 8 defensemen under contract for next season, not including Duncan Siemens.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:08 PM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Since its like a 99.9% chance that he is getting traded these are my predictions:

1. To AVS:
Myers, Foligno

To BUF:

2. TO AVS:
Bogosian, Scheifele

TO WIN:
ROR, Elliott

3. TO AVS:
MDZ, Kreider

TO NYR:
I really doubt we're prying Bogo from the Jets

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

i think it's more due diligence than a real sign of a package deal, i don't see the Avs packaging one of Barrie or Elliot to unload ROR. makes no sense and weakens us in a area we can't afford to be weaker at.
now if it's for a guy who likely isn't coming back our way like a Bogosian or Huberdeau then yeah it makes sense. but that's not likely to happen.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
You're probably on the right track with this thinking. The Avalanche has 8 defensemen under contract for next season, not including Duncan Siemens.
I don't know if that necessarily plays a role in my thought processing at least. I just always felt they'd pick one guy, and use the other guy as trade bait. Kinda like they did with Cohen and Shattenkirk, but then I think they saw an opportunity to get EJ, and that Elliott and Barrie were sitting there waiting.

They also probably hold more value and interest in trade for a team giving up an offensive defenseman, than a guy like O'Byrne or whoever. It makes that two for two type trade easier.

The other teams gets the established two way center in O'Reilly and gives up the offensive D. They get a young offensive D prospect in return, and we potentially get the more established offensive D, and a younger or lesser forward.

Sherman loves making those one for one or two for two equal value type trades. Just a hunch though, it could be something totally different.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
I can't imagine Barrie going anywhere, with what he has shown. It's possible Avs are hesitant about Elliott putting it all together and would be willing to include him.

I normally don't focus too much on who is scouting who, especially when the guy who is shopped isn't playing. But if Winnipeg, Carolina, Philly and Rangers show up in San Jose, then those guys have watched three Avs games in a row and they're probably trying to get an idea of what kind of players we have or are checking someone specific out.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I really doubt we're prying Bogo from the Jets
You're probably right, but you never know of all their bigger name dmen I think he'd be the one they'd move first.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I can't imagine Barrie going anywhere, with what he has shown. It's possible Avs are hesitant about Elliott putting it all together and would be willing to include him.

I normally don't focus too much on who is scouting who, especially when the guy who is shopped isn't playing. But if Winnipeg, Carolina, Philly and Rangers show up in San Jose, then those guys have watched three Avs games in a row and they're probably trying to get an idea of what kind of players we have or are checking someone specific out.
Yea given what appears at this point to be the unlikeliness of bringing in a legit top pairing D, it would be a big risk to give up a guy like Barrie for another guy who has question marks on his overall game, or eventually offensive production. They could easily get burned bringing in a guy not too far off from what Barrie ends up being, in addition to O'Reilly.

I just hope if my hunch is correct, that means the D coming back is pretty good. I'll agree though, it seems Elliott would be a better choice as of now to move, but who knows. This time last year, it appeared the opposite. It's becoming clear to me, these guys are harder to peg than other similar players. The Avs kind of have a history of hyping and selling their guys subtly with the media before moving them though, that's also given me some hints. You hear other broadcasters or national media talk about some guys in a way that seems overly flattering coming from a non biased source.

I think it's gonna be a hell of a gamble trade either way, for lots of reasons. I just hope we come out on the right side of it, or at least make it close and chalk it up to being forced to move him. Sherman has got his work cut out for him big time on this. He's got vultures circling the yard tying to pick him apart, and play hardball given the holdout. I just hope he can pull this off.

Or just sweet talk him and sign him, that would be awesome as well.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-24-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

It's also as likely that the only Avs asset going to the other team is O'Reilly and then you can include a bunch of teams that aren't scouting Avs. They have no reason to since they want O'Reilly.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
It's also as likely that the only Avs asset going to the other team is O'Reilly and then you can include a bunch of teams that aren't scouting Avs. They have no reason to since they want O'Reilly.
Yea, but if all those teams scouting them tonight were the teams rumored to have interest in O'Reilly, is that likely?

I think it's a pretty safe bet they were scouting an Avalanche player. Especially when all of them are Eastern teams, and none of them are playing the West this year unless they go to the finals.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
Yea, but if all those teams scouting them tonight were the teams rumored to have interest in O'Reilly, is that likely?

I think it's a pretty safe bet they were scouting an Avalanche player. Especially when all of them are Eastern teams, and none of them are playing the West this year unless they go to the finals.
I'm talking about teams like Ottawa, Florida and Toronto. If they only want O'Reilly, they wouldn't be scouting Avs games and could still be in the race.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:44 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Scouts from the following teams are at the Avs/Ducks game:

Rangers, Sabres, Hurricanes, Philly, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Boston and Winnipeg.
Pretty interesting considering they are all Eastern teams and the game was in California.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:52 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:

1. To AVS:
Myers, Foligno

To BUF:

2. TO AVS:
Bogosian, Scheifele

TO WIN:
ROR, Elliott

3. TO AVS:
MDZ, Kreider

TO NYR:
I wouldn't bet a single penny on any of these trades happening.

1) That is a massive overpayment by the Sabres for Ryan O'Reilly and a garbage defenseman. Myers may not be living up to the hype but its the old cliche, "defenseman take more time to develop", you don't just give up on players with Myers' ceiling unless there is a contract situation And I don't see them moving Foligno either

2) Like another poster has already stated, I don't see the Jets moving Bogosian. Enstrom just went down with a serious injury, they need him back there on defense, and I can't see them moving Schiefle either although I don't see what's so special about Schiefle

3) I may be mistaken but hasn't Sather already turned this offer down? I don't think he has any interest including Kreider in any deal around O'Reilly, and I don't think he even wants any part of O'Reilly given his dealings with his own RFA's, I doubt he breaks the bridge-contract model that he's established for O'Reilly

Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
I'm talking about teams like Ottawa, Florida and Toronto. If they only want O'Reilly, they wouldn't be scouting Avs games and could still be in the race.
Oh, I see what you're saying. Yea, definitely. And their absence could potentially speak to what you're saying.

All just speculation obviously, but that's why we're here right? Only way take make this situation go by easier, is to pick it apart. Sitting and waiting for the outcome without being somewhat emotionally invested is basically not possible for most of us.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:

1. To AVS:
Myers, Foligno

To BUF:

2. TO AVS:
Bogosian, Scheifele

TO WIN:
ROR, Elliott

3. TO AVS:
MDZ, Kreider

TO NYR:
#1 - Avs won't take on a contract like Myers, especially if he hasn't been playing very well for over a year now (according to most Sabres fans)

#2 - Bogosian is a top 3 pick and at that age, they are rarely moved. They would either have to be 'extremely confident that Trouba is going to be better' or fairly confident that Bogosian will never reach his potential for him to be moved.

#3 - Never liked MDZ, still don't. Rangers have lots of injuries on D, I don't see this move happening. I don't think RoR will go to the Rangers.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I think you're right and the packages that the Avs want from these teams could require another asset from the Avs (likely a d-man).

I'm not sure that Elliott would be or SHOULD BE available though. The return to ADD him to RoR would need to be pretty substantial. I still think he's played pretty well all things considered. I mean, it's not like we're pairing him up with Zdeno Chara to 'ease his transition' into the league or anything. It's basically 'sink or swim' but he's still only in his 2nd year of pro hockey, if he's dealt, it could come back to haunt the Avs in the long run.

I think they know what they're getting from SoB and he's signed for another 2 years. Zanon JUST signed, so it's likely not him either. I would think it's either:

1) Hunwick
2) O'Byrne
3) Elliott (unfortunately)

Those are the 3 the make the most sense to me. I guess Hejda could be involved as well but I'd hate to think of this defence without EJ AND Hejda but that would pretty much seal the TANK.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
#1 - Avs won't take on a contract like Myers, especially if he hasn't been playing very well for over a year now (according to most Sabres fans)

#2 - Bogosian is a top 3 pick and at that age, they are rarely moved. They would either have to be 'extremely confident that Trouba is going to be better' or fairly confident that Bogosian will never reach his potential for him to be moved.

#3 - Never liked MDZ, still don't. Rangers have lots of injuries on D, I don't see this move happening. I don't think RoR will go to the Rangers.
I'm not so sure about #1 here. Myers only has one more season where his contract is really all that bad (next season he is paid $6m). After that it goes $5-$5-$4-$3.5-$3.5. If he even plays like he did in his second year he is worth 4-5m a season. In fact I would rather pay Myers that sort of money than pick up Smid on the open market for for the same amount (I expect Smid to get 4.5-5m).

Old
02-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:

Yes Myers has been insanely bad this season (Sabres are my 2nd favourite eastern conf team after Montreal) and he's getting worse each season after winning the Calder. This is his worst season in the NHL and his last one wasn't stellar either.

Agreed on MDZ and Bogosian.

Quote:
I think you're right and the packages that the Avs want from these teams could require another asset from the Avs (likely a d-man).

I'm not sure that Elliott would be or SHOULD BE available though. The return to ADD him to RoR would need to be pretty substantial. I still think he's played pretty well all things considered. I mean, it's not like we're pairing him up with Zdeno Chara to 'ease his transition' into the league or anything. It's basically 'sink or swim' but he's still only in his 2nd year of pro hockey, if he's dealt, it could come back to haunt the Avs in the long run.

I think they know what they're getting from SoB and he's signed for another 2 years. Zanon JUST signed, so it's likely not him either. I would think it's either:

1) Hunwick
2) O'Byrne
3) Elliott (unfortunately)

Those are the 3 the make the most sense to me. I guess Hejda could be involved as well but I'd hate to think of this defence without EJ AND Hejda but that would pretty much seal the TANK.
Agreed wholeheartedly. And on another thought, our defense could be decent next season if we trade Radar for a partner for EJ.

Radar-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott
Siemens

Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'm not so sure about #1 here. Myers only has one more season where his contract is really all that bad (next season he is paid $6m). After that it goes $5-$5-$4-$3.5-$3.5. If he even plays like he did in his second year he is worth 4-5m a season. In fact I would rather pay Myers that sort of money than pick up Smid on the open market for for the same amount (I expect Smid to get 4.5-5m).
With Smid you know what you're getting, with Myers you're basically praying he bounces back to form or else you have an albatros on your hands. Honestly I'd be much more comfortable paying Smid 4.5mil than Myers what he's due to get according to his contract.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:08 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
With Smid you know what you're getting, with Myers you're basically praying he bounces back to form or else you have an albatros on your hands. Honestly I'd be much more comfortable paying Smid 4.5mil than Myers what he's due to get according to his contract.
An albatross of a contract that really isn't all that large of an overpayment. A 5.5m cap hit would make him about 2.5m overpaid at worst (actual salary is less than that for most of the contract). That 2.5m of overpayment could quite simply be carrying 7 defensemen instead of 8 (cutting lose SOB's $2m). On a $64+m cap (with the way fans have come back it will only grow) it would be possible to absorb his contract pretty easily on this team. My biggest issue with a trade with Buffalo is that they don't have a NHL player (that they would be at all willing to give up) that is all that interesting and combine that with their best prospect being Armia, who isn't all that interesting means you get two parts that just aren't all that spectacular. With Winnipeg there are a number of parts that are interesting, same with New York, Florida, and Philly.

Personally, I would prefer other deals simply because I think if we get a NHL defender out of the deal they need to play the left side. Other places can provide that, or the needed forward.

Smid would really bother me for anything over $4m. Even that is an overpayment for what he brings IMO (1-1.5m). He doesn't have any real offensive upside and his defense isn't anything that amazes me. He would be a solid middle pairing addition, but I don't think he would be all that much better than Hejda in the end.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Myers is playing like #6 d-man right now, he's insanely soft, turnover prone, makes mental blunders in his own zone most of the time, all in all he's playing absolutely terrible right now and I don't want to see Radar traded for a player of his ilk.

Closed Thread