HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Myers is playing like #6 d-man right now, he's insanely soft, turnover prone, makes mental blunders in his own zone most of the time, all in all he's playing absolutely terrible right now and I don't want to see Radar traded for a player of his ilk.
I agree. I don't really see a trade with Buffalo being a good thing for the Avs as there is just too much risk involved. I'm just saying that if Myers can regain some of his form (not even all of it) he is worth 4-5m and wouldn't be overpaid by all that much. IMO Myers is one of those typical change of scenery sort of players, he needs a fresh start.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Contracts like the one Myers got are the reason Avs don't want to give kids long contracts. Why would they trade for him while he is a huge question mark with a massive contract?

It would send very mixed signals to trade for Myers.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Myers is playing like #6 d-man right now, he's insanely soft, turnover prone, makes mental blunders in his own zone most of the time, all in all he's playing absolutely terrible right now and I don't want to see Radar traded for a player of his ilk.
He is too much risk, another season or two of the way he is playing and he might not have an NHL job anymore.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'm not so sure about #1 here. Myers only has one more season where his contract is really all that bad (next season he is paid $6m). After that it goes $5-$5-$4-$3.5-$3.5. If he even plays like he did in his second year he is worth 4-5m a season. In fact I would rather pay Myers that sort of money than pick up Smid on the open market for for the same amount (I expect Smid to get 4.5-5m).
I'm sure the actually salary of players is an issue for the Avs, but the real concern with Myers is that $5.5M cap hit for the next 6 years.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Myers has had a truly awful year, but how many of you think he would be amazing with Hejda or EJ? Because he is being paired with another OFD/PMD Leopold.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Myers has had a truly awful year, but how many of you think he would be amazing with Hejda or EJ? Because he is being paired with another OFD/PMD Leopold.
The potential is there, but the risk is high.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
I'm still of the belief that acquiring him for O'Reilly would be a very Sherminian move and that we'd be getting someone with potential to be have as big of an impact on our team as O'Reilly could have... if we don't sign him.

Far more interested in him than acquiring Sekera, Gunnarson, Gardiner, Del Zotto, etc.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
The potential is there, but the risk is high.
I agree that the risk is high, but it could also have different factors like his defensive partner, playing style, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm still of the belief that acquiring him for O'Reilly would be a very Sherminian move and that we'd be getting someone with potential to be have as big of an impact on our team as O'Reilly could have... if we don't sign him.

Far more interested in him than acquiring Sekera, Gunnarson, Gardiner, Del Zotto, etc.
Agreed, but I think Kulikov+High prospect for ROR+Other is something I would go for besides Myers.

If we have to trade ROR, then get him as far as Ontario and Florida is just that.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-25-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Buffalo fans say they've tried him with everyone, and no one has helped him since Tallinder left. We'll see how he does under a new coach, but I don't see how that could have done much damage in his short time. Apparently he's got progressively worse each year since his rookie season.

The time is right though to make a move for him, if that's what they want to do. That $5.5M cap hit for six more years is just ugly though from a team building perspective if he can't turn things around.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Sekera is much safer than Myers, but does not have the ceiling. Sekera would probably return a better package as well, even in the Stafford/Ennis + range if Sherman is still asking very high return. Just can't see Rieger giving up on that investment all while being on the hot seat in Buffalo.
That said, a change of scenery may do Myers wonders, and his ceiling means that I would be in full support if the Avs take the risk.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Baby come back

Old
02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Contracts like the one Myers got are the reason Avs don't want to give kids long contracts. Why would they trade for him while he is a huge question mark with a massive contract?

It would send very mixed signals to trade for Myers.
Contracts like that are why Regier should've been the guy to go before Ruff. That's a contract you give a young veteran after he wins the Norris, not a kid fresh off his ELC.

Myers to me screams Bouwmeester 2.0. Too bad he's twice as expensive.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:24 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Contracts like that are why Regier should've been the guy to go before Ruff. That's a contract you give a young veteran after he wins the Norris, not a kid fresh off his ELC.

Yeah hes going down that road for sure... The one thing about Jaybo is that he sustained a high level of play for much longer before getting his contract. I don't think anyone blames Calgary for giving Jaybo his contract.

Myers contract was retarded... Even before now, people were like woah, he got what?

Old
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

People tend to act like JayBo is worthless. He isn't worth what his contract is, but he is a fairly solid top pairing guy who can put up 30 points. He would be easily worth $5m on the open market. If Myers was a lock to develop to that point, he is worth close enough to his contract and a trade around Myers and ROR would be one worth really looking into.

Even with his absurd contract, I would be more than happy with JayBo on this team. A JayBo-EJ pairing would be the first legit top pairing this team has had in a long, long time.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah hes going down that road for sure... The one thing about Jaybo is that he sustained a high level of play for much longer before getting his contract. I don't think anyone blames Calgary for giving Jaybo his contract.

Myers contract was retarded... Even before now, people were like woah, he got what?
Honestly I feel like because Regier was so badly burned by the Drury/Briere debacle and later failed to re-sign Brian Campbell, he's overcompensated when it comes to these situations since then, like throwing franchise defenseman money at a kid who's only had one phenomenal year thus far--his rookie year.

And if I were an owner, I'd fire any GM who signed Ville Leino to a deal that pays him $6 million this year.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:

That's a bad thing? Bouwmeester makes a lot of money but he's a top four defenseman who can play in all situations and he would be top two on a lot of teams, including the Avs. He would look great next to EJ. He might be soft but he's still good defensively and his skating ability is on another level.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
People tend to act like JayBo is worthless. He isn't worth what his contract is, but he is a fairly solid top pairing guy who can put up 30 points. He would be easily worth $5m on the open market. If Myers was a lock to develop to that point, he is worth close enough to his contract and a trade around Myers and ROR would be one worth really looking into.

Even with his absurd contract, I would be more than happy with JayBo on this team. A JayBo-EJ pairing would be the first legit top pairing this team has had in a long, long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That's a bad thing? Bouwmeester makes a lot of money but he's a top four defenseman who can play in all situations and he would be top two on a lot of teams, including the Avs. He would look great next to EJ. He might be soft but he's still good defensively and his skating ability is on another level.
Dude has phenomenal gifts--good size, amazing wheels, good vision and passing, and a decent shot. But yet he plays with the intensity of a librarian who just got shot in the ass with a tranquilizer dart. Sorry, but when a guy who seemingly has everything physically you'd need to be an impact defenseman and yet hasn't made all that much of an impact, there's something seriously wrong.

And yes, when you're paying the next Jay Bouwmeester a prorated $12 million this year, that's a bad thing.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Dude has phenomenal gifts--good size, amazing wheels, good vision and passing, and a decent shot. But yet he plays with the intensity of a librarian who just got shot in the ass with a tranquilizer dart. Sorry, but when a guy who seemingly has everything physically you'd need to be an impact defenseman and yet hasn't made all that much of an impact, there's something seriously wrong.
Bouwmeester hasn't made all that much of an impact? If that's the way you feel about Bouwmeester, then you must really hate EJ.

Quote:
And yes, when you're paying the next Jay Bouwmeester a prorated $12 million this year, that's a bad thing.
Not his fault the Sabres gave him that bonus. They did the same thing for Ehrhoff as well when they signed him. Myers' salary decreases each year and his cap hit $5.5M so if he is the next Bouwmeester, the Avs should trade for him immediately. Also, $10M of that $12M was paid on July 1st so he's getting a prorated $2M right now.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:

He is still, at worst a #2 defenseman. Put Bouwmeester on a better offensive team and he would flourish. You don't need to be physical to be an effective defender, but you better have an excellent stick. Which Bouwmeester does. He gets a lot of unwarranted (IMO) hate. The best thing to happen to him would be a trade to Detroit. He would turn into a #1 in that system.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Avs71

Quote:

This guy? A librarian? Don't know how you came to that conclusion...

sarcasm smiley not needed.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:11 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Bouwmeester hasn't made all that much of an impact? If that's the way you feel about Bouwmeester, then you must really hate EJ.

Not his fault the Sabres gave him that bonus. They did the same thing for Ehrhoff as well when they signed him. Myers' salary decreases each year and his cap hit $5.5M so if he is the next Bouwmeester, the Avs should trade for him immediately. Also, $10M of that $12M was paid on July 1st so he's getting a prorated $2M right now.
This! He will get ~1m for the rest of this season then 6-5-5-4-3.5-3. All but one of those years would be a bargain for the next JayBo (if that is the case, which I am not behind). The cap hit sucks, but the Avs could manage that pretty easily when the first cap it will hurt is in 14-15 when the cap will be in the ~67m range.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Eh...just not a J-Bo fan, guys. Obviously not a Myers fan either. For the record I do like EJ though, but I think his potential is a bit lower than some others on this board do.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Jbo is easy to play against, but an incredible minute eater.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Foppa2118

J Bo's not a stud but he gets way too much flack IMO. He's just overpaid. He's still a good defenseman. That's why Calgary's not in a rush to move him. Their D will be pathetic without him, like us losing EJ.

He's soft and not that intense, but still quite good defensively, a great skater, and has a great outlet pass. He hasn't missed a game in 8 seasons, plays huge minutes, and is consistently good for 30-40 points. Those things would be huge additions to this team, and make a great partner for EJ.

I don't know if it makes sense to give up any real assets for him though with one year left on his deal. That's a separate issue.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

We heard lately about other teams' scouts attending our games but it would be nice to also know when the Avs' scouts attends other games. I am sure they are also scouting some other teams' prospects as well.

Closed Thread