Notices

Around the League part deux

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 1375
Missed Ward last night - did he break the Bruins story?

and yes, surprised by the deal. I guess he was a UFA and 15 games left....but seriously even as a rental Iginla is worth more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
This is... crazy?

Went to sleep thinking it was Boston, woke up and it was Pittsburgh.

Poor Aaron Ward.

And, what a horrible deal for Calgary.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post

and yes, surprised by the deal. I guess he was a UFA and 15 games left....but seriously even as a rental Iginla is worth more.
Um not sure. I was watching the Boston game and pre game and during game all they could talk about was Iginla going to Boston and they seemed failry confident. But by the sounds of it Wardo went all in later that night in confirmation

Old
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yes. He went off set to speak to his sources, then you could hear him hollering to the panel that the deal was done and he was getting confirmation out of Boston.

I have no doubt his sources were spot on, the deal likely was done (player wise) it just wasn't done-done. Iginla obviously decided he'd rather go to Pittsburgh than Boston.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Boston and Pittsburgh were in negotiations last night with Calgary, Feaster took both deals to Iginla and Iginla said "I'll go to Pittsburgh".

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
JetsHomer

Iginla had a NMC and had a list of only three teams. His value got limited, just like Nash's did

Old
03-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Yes. He went off set to speak to his sources, then you could hear him hollering to the panel that the deal was done and he was getting confirmation out of Boston.

I have no doubt his sources were spot on, the deal likely was done (player wise) it just wasn't done-done. Iginla obviously decided he'd rather go to Pittsburgh than Boston.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Boston and Pittsburgh were in negotiations last night with Calgary, Feaster took both deals to Iginla and Iginla said "I'll go to Pittsburgh".
agree with your logic. We were talking about it at work this morning. We felt that Iginla probably had the choice of boston and pitts of where he wants to go. Heard he is close to Crosby?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Well, I'd say quite a bit more than what Brenden Morrow got Dallas. Logically speaking, how does Brenden Morrow net the return he did, only for Iginla to net the return he did?

It just doesn't make sense. Morrow is a 3rd liner at this point, can likely...maybe... get away with playing on the 2nd line with a guy like Malkin. Iginla can still play 1st line. Not to mention the prospects Pittsburgh has in their system... Maatta, Harrington, Pouliot, etc. MAKE them give at least ONE of them up. Remember, they are coming to YOU, they want YOUR player. Calgary should have at least been somewhat in the drivers seat in these negotiations. Even if Pittsburgh was the ONLY place Iggy would go.

Jordan Staal wanted to go to Carolina, it was well documented, and he wasn't going to re-sign with any team he was traded to because after this season he was set to be a UFA. So, Pittsburgh was in a corner there but even they got a damn good deal for J. Staal (Dumoulin, 1st round top 10 pick and Brandon Sutter). Competent GM's, even when backed into a corner, can make a good hockey trade.

If I were a Flames fan, I would much rather the package Morrow got than what Iginla just got. I mean, both Morrow and Iginla are nearly identical in age, both set to be UFA's, etc. It's just baffling.
IMO Calgary was never in any sort of position of leverage at any point.

It was well documented that Iggy wanted to go to only a selected few teams... and realistically Pittsburgh was the only place.

I am willing to bet Calgary went to Pittsburgh, not the other way around.

Do I agree that Calgary, COULD have got more? Yeah they may have been able too.

But when you have zero leverage, it's not that easy.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:34 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
agree with your logic. We were talking about it at work this morning. We felt that Iginla probably had the choice of boston and pitts of where he wants to go. Heard he is close to Crosby?
Well they were a heck of a pair in Vancouver (olympics, not canucks, lol) a couple years back, so maybe.

Last edited by winterpeg: 03-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 08:35 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

This thread is amazing.

Its like a permanent record of a step-by-step fan nuclear meltdown.

Quote:
Read this thread ...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1387315&page=5

Felt a little sad for them. Then I laughed. Then felt sad again. Then laughed.

I have nothing against Boston. If Iggy went there then there likely would have come a point in the playoffs where I rooted for Boston just for Iggy, but the way this has transpired ... oh man.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:39 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Someone have this clip before TSN pulls it off-line?!

amazing.

Might be a bit of schadenfreude, but I would find some sick enjoyment in watching this.

Quote:

Old
03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
IMO Calgary was never in any sort of position of leverage at any point.

It was well documented that Iggy wanted to go to only a selected few teams... and realistically Pittsburgh was the only place.

I am willing to bet Calgary went to Pittsburgh, not the other way around.

Do I agree that Calgary, COULD have got more? Yeah they may have been able too.

But when you have zero leverage, it's not that easy.
If Feaster, as the GM, did not go into this demanding some leverage than he should be fired and the whole Flames organization should be ashamed of themselves, Ownership too seeing as they sat in on these negotiations and had to approve.

It's just my opinion, but I will never buy that Calgary had no leverage, even if Pittsburgh was the one and only team Iginla would go to. Competent GM's can make good hockey trades even if their backs are up against the wall (See; Jordan Staal to Carolina) and when you are dealing Jarome Iginla, even in the current circumstances, you should be able to get more than what Calgary did. No question, in my opinion.

Pittsburgh HAS assets, that's what is so comical in all of this. Pittsburgh wanted Calgary's player, UFA or not, NMC/NTC or not, hold on to as much leverage as you can.

Calgary failed here. Miserably, in my opinion.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:46 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Someone have this clip before TSN pulls it off-line?!

amazing.

Might be a bit of schadenfreude, but I would find some sick enjoyment in watching this.
Will it ever stop blowing my mind that you guys use "schadenfreude"?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:49 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I was furious when Chevy basically traded Ponikarovsky for Tangradi + 4th, and that was kind of a nothing trade in retrospect.

I can't imagine what Flames fans are going through

Old
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Thought Calgary should have at least got a player for Iggy instead of a low 1st round pick and 2 prospects.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Nein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Will it ever stop blowing my mind that you guys use "schadenfreude"?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Gm0ney

The best thing that could happen now is for the Pens to go out in the first round.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
surixon

Wow Calgary got bent over here. There is a very real possibility that not one of those assets becomes a player for them.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Wow Calgary got bent over here. There is a very real possibility that not one of those assets becomes a player for them.
They got something for him. Better than missing the playoffs either way and getting nothing for him in the offseason. Considering what Columbus got for Nash who was under contract for a number of years and younger, not too surprising.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
If Feaster, as the GM, did not go into this demanding some leverage than he should be fired and the whole Flames organization should be ashamed of themselves, Ownership too seeing as they sat in on these negotiations and had to approve.

It's just my opinion, but I will never buy that Calgary had no leverage, even if Pittsburgh was the one and only team Iginla would go to. Competent GM's can make good hockey trades even if their backs are up against the wall (See; Jordan Staal to Carolina) and when you are dealing Jarome Iginla, even in the current circumstances, you should be able to get more than what Calgary did. No question, in my opinion.

Pittsburgh HAS assets, that's what is so comical in all of this. Pittsburgh wanted Calgary's player, UFA or not, NMC/NTC or not, hold on to as much leverage as you can.

Calgary failed here. Miserably, in my opinion.
Completely agree. Even though Feaster's options were obviously limited as far as trade partners, it makes zero sense that he got less in return than Brendan Morrow.

I keep hearing the "zero leverage" line being thrown around, when in fact that's not really the case. They weren't being forced to deal a player that wanted out. The way Feaster should've approached the deal was that if there weren't good offers being made for Iginla, they would proceed to plan B, which would be to lock him up to a short-term deal.

Maybe they're really high on these two college prospects that I've never heard of, but this really doesn't seem like a good deal for the Flames. Hell, the rumoured Boston deal sounded much better than this one, and even then I thought it was a fairly meagre return.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Completely agree. Even though Feaster's options were obviously limited as far as trade partners, it makes zero sense that he got less in return than Brendan Morrow.

I keep hearing the "zero leverage" line being thrown around, when in fact that's not really the case. They weren't being forced to deal a player that wanted out. The way Feaster should've approached the deal was that if there weren't good offers being made for Iginla, they would proceed to plan B, which would be to lock him up to a short-term deal.

Maybe they're really high on these two college prospects that I've never heard of, but this really doesn't seem like a good deal for the Flames. Hell, the rumoured Boston deal sounded much better than this one, and even then I thought it was a fairly meagre return.
Agree to a T.

If I was Jay Feaster, and hey, maybe this is easy for a guy sitting in his office to say (), but I would be taking the hard stance of "If you're going to call me than the beginning of what you're going to say better be 'I'll include _____ _____', and your offer best include 'such-and-such' a player, because you're prospect cupboard is stocked with them. If you're not willing to deal ONE of those guys, do not call me".

Other than that, I agree with ya, Hank, re-sign Iginla.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
mondo3

However if Pitts wins the cup, and Iginla returns to Calgary next season, then Calgary makes out ok in this trade in the sense that they get 3 players for renting out Iginla for the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Jarome Iginla press conference Live here,

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...onference.html

Old
03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

That will be kind of cool to see.

Quote:
Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis
Word is Iggy will have his teammates behind him at the presser. Nice touch

Old
03-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Jarome Iginla press conference Live here,

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...onference.html
I wonder who he told he wouldn't cry, yet still will?

03-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I wonder who he told he wouldn't cry, yet still will?
Conroy
Jokinen
Tanguay
Cammalleri
Stajan
Backlund
Langkow
etc..
etc..
etc...

Basically, every center he's ever played with?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Just listening to the presser

Iggy is maybe the classiest guy in the league......"IF" we meet them in the playoffs we will have to break his heart but if we get eliminated I will be cheering for Iggy.

Closed Thread