HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shero's Draft Picks

Old
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
GermanTitov

vCash: 500
Shero's Draft Picks

its hard to believe there are only 4 Ray Shero draft picks on the current roster.

Bortuzzo, Depres, Jeffrey and Bennett

is the drafting concerning? bortuzzo, depres and jeffrey all been healthy scratches this year. bennett is a temp for now.

i know its early yet but out of 7 years worth of drafts id expect that number to be higher.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

It's not his strongest part but on the other hand he does have scouts which at the end of the day are the ones that are trying to sell the players to Ray. No excuses but it's not all on Shero

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
inb4 'Hot' Carl Sneep

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
SidsBackhand

If these guys were in place earlier, Malkin wouldn't be a Penguin.

I hate their "Canadian or bust" mentality, peppered with a bit of American.

Why are they afraid of Russians and Euro players? I take a look at teams like Winnipeg and shake my head. They've drafted or acquired several GREAT two way Russian defensemen. All the great Euro wingers in the league...why doesn't Crosby have a winger yet? Look no further than the Penguins stubborn drafting tactics.

As masterful as Shero is with pulling off trades, he is equally as bad at drafting players.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I think if you're going to look at it this way you have to take into account players on the roster who he's traded/flipped players he's drafted for. Sutter, Dupuis, etc.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I think if you're going to look at it this way you have to take into account players on the roster who he's traded/flipped players he's drafted for. Sutter, Dupuis, etc.
I had the same thought as you, so I went into the lists to see who that applied to, and those are the only ones. Haha.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
GermanTitov

ill start off by saying i was bored today. looking at the pens drafts since Shero took over. i know the numbers are kind of skewed due to the fact we took 9 guys in last years draft but stictly a numbers game its interesting.

Shero has drafted 44 players so far as a GM: Jordan Staal has played 445 games totalling 260 pts. the other 43 have combined for 210 games for 51pts. most of which are from dustin jeffrey with 70 games and 21 pts.

Also totally debatable but the 3 guys taken after Staal
3.Toews 377 gp 339pts
4.Backstrom 380 gp 378pts
5.Kessel 473 gp 340pts

Old
02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I wonder whether the ratio of drafted players on rebuilding teams is higher than on non-rebuilding teams? I'm not arguing for or against Shero's drafting success but the team he took over was more or less set with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Orpik, etc. when he took over. I wonder if teams that have been perennially bad over the past few years and have therefore drafted earlier in the rounds - Oilers, BJs, Isles, etc. - would have a much higher percentage of home grown players currently on the roster. Not curious enough to do the math, though.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
It's not his strongest part but on the other hand he does have scouts which at the end of the day are the ones that are trying to sell the players to Ray. No excuses but it's not all on Shero
I wonder, do you think our European scouts just aren't voicing their opinions loudly enough on certain players, or they're just being ignored?

It's a legitimate question. The stats would suggest they're being ignored, though.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Saison Marguerite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTitov View Post
ill start off by saying i was bored today. looking at the pens drafts since Shero took over. i know the numbers are kind of skewed due to the fact we took 9 guys in last years draft but stictly a numbers game its interesting.

Shero has drafted 44 players so far as a GM: Jordan Staal has played 445 games totalling 260 pts. the other 43 have combined for 210 games for 51pts. most of which are from dustin jeffrey with 70 games and 21 pts.

Also totally debatable but the 3 guys taken after Staal
3.Toews 377 gp 339pts
4.Backstrom 380 gp 378pts
5.Kessel 473 gp 340pts
I don't think it's fair to use Tazer or Nicky as a comparison for Staal. They're both playing first line minutes. Had they been with the Pens, their numbers will likely be similar to Jordan's, too.

Kessel, though, *shrug*. I got nothin'.

Saison Marguerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Fire Shero*

I thought it was a well known fact Shero did a horrible job drafting during his first 5 years here.

We will see how his collection of dmen pan out, I'm sure some will be complete busts and some will be great.

He gets a C- in my book for his drafting skills. You can't blame the scouts, he's the one that hired them. I also hate how anti- European he is.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
SidsBackhand

Quote:
True. He almost NEVER drafts Russians or Euros though. If he were less stubborn, the Pens would have better players on top of the great acquisitions he's made.

Maybe the Pens need more scouts in Russia/Europe, but I find it hard to believe that a top-notch organization like the Pens wouldn't have scouts everywhere. Shero pulls the trigger on picks, Shero gets the blame.

It's not like he's being diverse and just missing on picks. Shero only reaches into a specific pool of players. That kind of stubbornness really agitates me.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Shady Machine

Not this thread again.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
True. He almost NEVER drafts Russians or Euros though. If he were less stubborn, the Pens would have better players on top of the great acquisitions he's made.

Maybe the Pens need more scouts in Russia/Europe, but I find it hard to believe that a top-notch organization like the Pens wouldn't have scouts everywhere. Shero pulls the trigger on picks, Shero gets the blame.

It's not like he's being diverse and just missing on picks. Shero only reaches into a specific pool of players. That kind of stubbornness really agitates me.
Who are all these talented Russians that we've had the opportunity to take but passed on?

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I had the same thought as you, so I went into the lists to see who that applied to, and those are the only ones. Haha.

lol i was just thinking about this. Craig Patricks draft picks have netted Neal, Nisky, Kunitz and Ill also say Patrick get credit for Half of Dupuis. Armstrong and Christensen were both Patrick picks. so Sheros picks have netted us Sutter and half of Dupuis. not to mention he game up Staal for Sutter. not bashing him. just sayin

Old
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Moreau View Post
I don't think it's fair to use Tazer or Nicky as a comparison for Staal. They're both playing first line minutes. Had they been with the Pens, their numbers will likely be similar to Jordan's, too.

Kessel, though, *shrug*. I got nothin'.

i completely agree. i looked at it and siad well theres an easy answer for toews and backstrom but then kessel. he plays for toronto! lol. guess those bruins years padded the stats

Old
02-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I wonder, do you think our European scouts just aren't voicing their opinions loudly enough on certain players, or they're just being ignored?

It's a legitimate question. The stats would suggest they're being ignored, though.
I have no idea but we could all assume Shero is not willing to take that chance with the Euro player being scared that he never comes over.

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTitov View Post
lol i was just thinking about this. Craig Patricks draft picks have netted Neal, Nisky, Kunitz and Ill also say Patrick get credit for Half of Dupuis. Armstrong and Christensen were both Patrick picks. so Sheros picks have netted us Sutter and half of Dupuis. not to mention he game up Staal for Sutter. not bashing him. just sayin
To be fair, he didn't have a choice when it came to Staal. He made a contract offer & Jordan wanted to go and play with his brother. He could have lost him for nothing, the fact that he got Sutter & a very good D prospect should be seen as a positive.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:

i agree, i mean he drafted D partners the last 2 years lol. who is it harrington morrow maatta and pouliot. not sure who plays with who but man thats really looking into the same pool for sure

Old
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:
To be fair, he didn't have a choice when it came to Staal. He made a contract offer & Jordan wanted to go and play with his brother. He could have lost him for nothing, the fact that he got Sutter & a very good D prospect should be seen as a positive.

absolutely. his back was against the wall for sure.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
GermanTitov

i just wonder how shero plans to get all these D prospects on the ice. as we all know these guys are worth far less until they prove themselves on the NHL ice. so how does Shero get value back for some of these guys. if you draft a number 1-4 dman you gotta get them the ice time and put them in the situation to be successful. how does shero do it?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
SidsBackhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Who are all these talented Russians that we've had the opportunity to take but passed on?
Yes, you are right, Russians haven't been heavily drafted since he took over. The few Russians that have panned out so far were a few spots ahead of where the Penguins drafted. Shero could have traded up (for example Tarasenko was 4 spots ahead of Bennett), but that would be nitpicking being that most GMs don't do that. I also mentioned that he's afraid to acquire Russians in trades (Michalek being the exception, and he wasn't a world beater).

The number of Swedes and Czechs that he has passed on is the most surprising thing when looking at drafts. Who knows though, he drafted Maata who has real potential. Maybe Shero is changing his tactics.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
D Heinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Hmm. That's very interesting. I'll be interested to see how this list has changed in 2014/2015. There is a strong possibility that we will have six Shero-defenseman come 2015.

I know that there are a lot of ways other than drafting to acquire talent, but it is disappointing.

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
If these guys were in place earlier, Malkin wouldn't be a Penguin.

I hate their "Canadian or bust" mentality, peppered with a bit of American.

Why are they afraid of Russians and Euro players? I take a look at teams like Winnipeg and shake my head. They've drafted or acquired several GREAT two way Russian defensemen. All the great Euro wingers in the league...why doesn't Crosby have a winger yet? Look no further than the Penguins stubborn drafting tactics.

As masterful as Shero is with pulling off trades, he is equally as bad at drafting players.
What? Who? Oleg Tverdovsky? For 31 games 18 years ago? Who was neither "great" nor "two-way"?

I would hope this is not a misplaced reference to Tobias Enstrom.

Edit: And in terms of since-proven European contributors at wing Shero could have drafted but didn't, I'm not seeing any. Passed on ROR, Pacioretty, Wayne Simmonds, Jamie Benn, Marcus Foligno. European wingers who developed into top 6 contributors, not so much.

Closest I can find is that he could, theoretically, have traded up for Cherepanov...but he's dead, so that wouldn't have been a solution. And Evgeni Kuznetsov...who looks to be a wasted draft pick because he's shown little interest in playing in the NHL at all. Every two years, he says he'll be over 2 years from now, then signs an extension in Russia.

Edit #2: I guess he could have drafted Grabner, Frolik or Kulemin instead of Staal. I would hope that doesn't sound like it would have been a good idea to, well, anyone.

Last edited by billybudd: 02-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.
billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Heinze View Post
Hmm. That's very interesting. I'll be interested to see how this list has changed in 2014/2015. There is a strong possibility that we will have six Shero-defenseman come 2015.

I know that there are a lot of ways other than drafting to acquire talent, but it is disappointing.

iv thought of that as well, but my issue with it is this. 6 shero dman on the roster come 2015 that means that Shero drafted bottom pairing dman in the first round when he could have gotten winger, kunitz and dupuis will be closer to 40 than 30 by then.