HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nucks 3 Hawks 4 (SO): Hawks extend their streak, Honey Badger Don't Give A ****™

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 11:58 PM
cutcopy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1101 View Post
The reffing was laughably bad. It's like they picked up a few guys from a bar who hand seen a handful of games on tv. They didn't know what to do with their arms half the time, and they seemed to rely on the crowd to call things for them sometimes.
Yeah, that call on Daniel was so stupid and late, same with the Hansen call.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:59 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I was gonna vote but there wasnt an option for "No, he deserves a medal"

LOL @ the results. Nuck fans trolling in there.
oh lawd, they just posted this clip of hansen on that thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mdBXe9lOHzo I can't wait for the Ron MacLean character assassination of Jannik Hansen this weekend. How many times will he show Hansen crosschecking the ref?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Kesler should knock off the diving. There's no way that someone as big, well conditioned, and such an elite skater should need to resort to that. I'd love it if he just out worked the opposition every shift and battled hard for everything.

Old
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
Yeah, that call on Daniel was so stupid and late, same with the Hansen call.
It was basically the crowd calling it. And Jonathan Toews`whining.

Old
LiquidSnake

This really opens up a whole knew set of avatars where Hansen is responsible for every single bad thing in the history of the world.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Outside99*

Kassian is not playing different now than he was at the start of the season. He's putting forth a good effort and once his linemates secure the puck in the O zone, he's pretty effective (see shift with Sedins).

He has very good hands, a better shot than I expected, sees the ice very well and can finish.

Still doesn't win a lot of puck battles (could take lessons from Higgins in that regard), has little clue what to do after he backchecks, not very good at getting the puck out either, some blown Dman coverage as we all know, and not getting a lot of hits in.

definitely worth the ongoing investment (and patience). Only 59 NHL games so far.

Old
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Agreed with everything here.
The happiest person with respect to the Garrison addition is probably Bieksa. Finally a d-man that can get hacked on more than him.

I really hope Garrison pulls it together. The Canucks can ill afford to have another d-man on their roster that is a defensive liability.

Old
Jefe88

It seems like every time we play the Hawks we get out-coached. It seemed like they shut down all our entries into the zone, knew all our little tendencies.
With us, it was the complete opposite. They just skated up and we backed off, no pressure at the blue line. I know AV is the most winning coach and got us to the cup, but I can't see us winning with him behind the bench .

Old
02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Lot more bad than good in this game. In the main, a very disorganized effort with real poor defensive coverage. Just left Schneider bailing out the team all night. Those who say the Canucks play better in front of Schneider than Luongo have little to base that on given the evidence of this game.

The Good

Edler - much better than in earlier games. Played with some authority and did a lot to lead the come back. Far from perfect but in relative terms (compared to the rest of the defense) was a stalwart in this game

Hansen - gives this guys some hands and he is superstar. His speed and tenacity are so important to this team. Never gives less than his best

Schnieder was outstanding given the quality of chances given up by the team. Made some amazing saves to get the team a point. Unfortunate in the shoot out

Ballard - Tanev - love the compete level. Looked the most cohesive defensive unit.

Sedins - just create and create. Some bad luck and at times seemed to over pass. But they out competed some good players in this game. Critical in the come back. Burrows provided some good screens but he also didn't put away some very good set ups created by the Sedins

The Bad

Bieksa - sloppy play throughout and some real half-hearted plays defensively. Second Hossa goal was very poor. Just looks so unfocused and bewildered at times. Nice that he could tie it up but that hardly disguised that overall poorness of his play.

Garrison - another night of thrashing around just trying to cope. Passing was erratic and and clearances from his zone very weak. Has shown nothing so far and the idea that somehow he can be defended by saying others are worse is ludicrous. Needs to be judged on his own merits. Very hard to play with because his movement without the puck is so hesitant and slow. Rarely provides a good option to teammates. Really struggling

As of now the buy out option needs to be considered here as Garrison's contract could become real albatross.

Kassain - First goal against was a good example of the lack of awareness and helter- skelter play of Kassain. Was at the point of the mid ice trap and then just drifted out of the play chasing the puck. Puck easily moved through the middle and ended up with Sharp getting wide open shot. His slow reaction to situations is getting more and more exploited. Maybe put in Volpatti and give Kassian a couple of weeks with the Wolves to sharpen his game. Guy is a long term project.

The Ugly

Kesler

Need to give him time to get his legs under him but that was very poor tonight. So many odd man rushes allowed. He just can't cover back for the pinching defenseman right now. Getting caught standing still all the time. Hard to blame Kesler since he hasn't played hockey for so long. Have to hope the whole season isn't a write off.

Other points

Schroeder looked like a rookie at times tonight but his defense remains pretty good.

Nice to see Weise hang in with Bollig.

Reffing again, and like in games across the League, was brutal. Absolutely inconsistent and dependent on crowd reaction or the situation. Teams every where get screwed over every night in this League and nothing ever gets done or changed.

Coaches seem to be given the players a lot of time off. However, this team needs to get to work on playing good team defense. Right now they can't really protect a lead or stop other teams from getting continuous guilt-edge chances.

Booth played as expected. Not up to game speed but played with some enthusiasm. Hopefully picks it up quickly so we can get some appraisal of him heading into next season.

Nice review. I'm inclined to let Garrison continue to learn the system and evaluate him at the end of the year. If the year doesn't go well, we might very well have a new coach.

But a key point you make is practicing team defence. It's laughable right now, how quickly other teams gain the zone and how poor this team is playing through the neutral zone. They need to work on it big time.

Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Gillis needs to have a chat with Kesler. It's distracting for the rest of the team.
Kesler's act is accepted when you're winning but it would be a different story if the team was poor. There's a lot to love about his game but I have a bad feeling about how his days in Vancouver will come to an end. Could see him leaving on bad terms...

I can't help but wonder what a well timed coaching change could do for this team. AV isn't a bad coach but generally speaking, there is a shelf life.

Old
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
This really opens up a whole knew set of avatars where Hansen is responsible for every single bad thing in the history of the world.
Our Team Our Rules

Old
02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

I'm happy to know that the great Honey Badger is so strong he can concuss Hossa with an elbow brush.

That's Torres' fault and and Hawks fans can go **** themselves if they think refs didn't hand this win to them on a silver platter and their team still managed to **** it up in regulation.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:04 AM
miked1101

vCash: 198
Quote:
The Canucks are pretty much equivalent to Hitler on the main boards.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:05 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I'm happy to know that the great Honey Badger is so strong he can concuss Hossa with an elbow brush.

That's Torres' fault and and Hawks fans can go **** themselves if they think refs didn't hand this win to them on a silver platter and their team still managed to **** it up in regulation.
HAnded it to them on a silver platter? Maybe in most cases, but we gave up 2 shorthanded breakaways in the first period. The Hawks beat us down. They didn't need the refs help tonight.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Kesler should knock off the diving. There's no way that someone as big, well conditioned, and such an elite skater should need to resort to that. I'd love it if he just out worked the opposition every shift and battled hard for everything.
I agree. I have no idea what Ryan is doing but lets just put an end to it. He really is an unusually gifted player . He has stopped the yapping but the diving has got to end.

END THE DIVING RYAN.

Im buying the T shirt.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
dsedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Our biggest problem against a team like the Hawks is our D cheat - aggressive pinches, joining the rush, ending up deep in the zone - its obviously the modus operandi (ex. Tanev does it a lot now, he didn't when he first got called up).( Bieksa takes it to another level - he's not a Dman, he's a rover).

The Hawks know it and they exploit it.
pretty much what I've been thinking for a long time as well

maybe if we still had erhoff we could call this defense "talented", able to push the pace, pinch seamlessly etc. but we don't...there's no denying our defense can put up some points as we saw today, and is still one of the league's best at doing so...but it's a huge weakness that the hawks exploit so well due to the exposure they get to our system and their skill

our defense is not good enough to play this style imo..Hamhuis has very minimal offensive instincts, Garrison is not quick enough on his feet to recover as a guy like Ehrhoff would be able to, Bieksa..no comment..Edler is our best offensive defensemen but he makes so many questionable decisions..in both zonez now it seems..whatever happened to automatic Eddy? I hope Tanev doesn't fall to the same fate.

the team plays best when they play team defense, and counter with speed, sustain pressure with the sedins.. we just don't have the raw talent to think full on offense and think defense second, they tried to do this tonight and got burned for it badly.

ot:

kesler is frustrating to watch, he has the speed, determination and skill to be a top player in the league but he resorts to antics and poor tendencies in the offensive zone..he would fare better if he went around defensemen rather than go through them..he's fast and talented enough to do the former, but not skilled enough to do the latter

Old
02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I agree. I have no idea what Ryan is doing but lets just put an end to it. He really is an unusually gifted player . He has stopped the yapping but the diving has got to end.

END THE DIVING RYAN.

Im buying the T shirt.
I agree. It must stop. It only hurts the team, long term.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Nice review. I'm inclined to let Garrison continue to learn the system and evaluate him at the end of the year. If the year doesn't go well, we might very well have a new coach.
If our blueline has issues throughout the year you almost can't bring back Bowness and possibly AV. Our dmen, save Ballard, aren't going anywhere...

I think garrison has been improving as the year has gone on. His skating and puck handling is a bit choppy but he's using his body well and generally keeping the opposition to the outside. It's Bieksa's erratic play that is causing the problems defensively. Though Kevin does help make up for it by providing offense.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by west in the east View Post
The bigger issue is that Hossa's head is so easily injured. If such an innocuous hit hurts him that badly, he probably should not be playing anymore. Not saying this to be a dick, but it has to be a concern. Health over sport.
I agree completely, its a real concern, I do believe he wasn't faking it, its going to be with him the rest of his life it seems.

Old
John Bender*

The Kesler hate about his game is comical. I agree, the diving must stop - but the heat he is taking for poor play? It's ****ing game 3 for the guy after major surgery and recovery. FFS, there were people demanding he be traded in the GDT.

Old
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I hope Hossa is ok, as I hoped Daniel was ok after that ******* Keith deliberately hit him in the head with no repercussions.

Old
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
HAnded it to them on a silver platter? Maybe in most cases, but we gave up 2 shorthanded breakaways in the first period. The Hawks beat us down. They didn't need the refs help tonight.
Shorthanded breakaways are only effective if they end in a goal.

And I wasn't aware that not being stop 2 goals in less than four minutes left was dominating. Hawks didn't dominate aside from being on the PP because of soft calls.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

Kassain - First goal against was a good example of the lack of awareness and helter- skelter play of Kassain. Was at the point of the mid ice trap and then just drifted out of the play chasing the puck. Puck easily moved through the middle and ended up with Sharp getting wide open shot. His slow reaction to situations is getting more and more exploited. Maybe put in Volpatti and give Kassian a couple of weeks with the Wolves to sharpen his game. Guy is a long term project.
I wouldn't say Kassian is a "long term project" - he has shown serious skill, vision and grit often enough in the NHL level that he will stick around the league. But his consistency really is troubling - can't say that Sabres fans didn't let us know about that. He was competing really hard and making the right reads early in the season, but he has been floating hard in the last few games. Needs to be scratched for the next game, but I don't think it warrants a trip to Chicago just yet. I'm not sure if it's a conditioning problem or that he can't play at 100% or close game in and out; that's something the coaching staff obviously knows the answer to, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
The Kesler hate about his game is comical. I agree, the diving must stop - but the heat he is taking for poor play? It's ****ing game 3 for the guy after major surgery and recovery. FFS, there were people demanding he be traded in the GDT.
It wasn't even the diving that was the worst part, but him attempting to break through the Hawks' coverage all by himself. Every. Time. If he isn't 100% yet, then he should try using his teammates more often. He should do that in any circumstance.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:09 AM
LiquidSnake

As much as there was an apparent "canuck meltdown" there in the 2nd, the same could be said for the Hawks at the end of the 3rd.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:10 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Also Bowness needs to be fired. His blue line management is **** and the PP is underwhelming. He's not using Garrison to his strengths.

Closed Thread