HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Should Hansen Be Disciplined for His Elbow to Hossa

View Poll Results: Should Hansen Be Disciplined for His Elbow to Hossa
No he should not 92 44.66%
Yes, a Fine 20 9.71%
Yes, a Suspension of Fewer than 3 Games 29 14.08%
Yes, a Suspension of 3 - 5 Games 47 22.82%
Yes, a Suspension of More than 5 Games 18 8.74%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
****ing thank you, Chris. That whole line of reasoning pisses me off to no end. I live the resident doctors on this site; it is an incredible thing.
Ahaha, you'll have to talk to my parents and two older brothers if you want a doctor. Nevertheless, a basic course in neuroscience will teach you all you ever want to know about concussions. It's shocking that so many sports fans - despite all their interest in the subject - are so woefully misinformed on the topic.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Ahaha, you'll have to talk to my parents and two older brothers if you want a doctor. Nevertheless, a basic course in neuroscience will teach you all you ever want to know about concussions. It's shocking that so many sports fans - despite all their interest in the subject - are so woefully misinformed on the topic.
Another common misconception is that some people suggest players take their time coming back after they are medically cleared from a concussion, like that helps. When you are over a concussion, you are over it. There is no need to take an extra week or whatever, at least not for your head.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
You;re wrong on this though, Concussions, like most other medical incidents are forever growing, and we may never know everything about them.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
This, and if Hossa has sustained too much brain trauma he should probably think long and hard about coming back. Its a shame, I feel bad for him.
This is quite different from what you originally said. I agree with you completely.

Of course, this type of trauma is incredibly difficult to detect in the short term. Otherwise clearing players to come back from head injuries would require nothing more than an MRI as opposed to all the extensive cognitive testing they do (which, I might add, is an incredibly inexact science).

Old
02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
You;re wrong on this though, Concussions, like most other medical incidents are forever growing, and we may never know everything about them.
I am not wrong. Concussions are not cumulative injuries. To put it very simply, if your brain makes contact with your skull, you are at risk of a brain injury. Whether you have had one before or not is utterly irrelevant.

EDIT: Didn't really see this part before. Concussions probably aren't "growing" as much as diagnosis processes are simply advancing. But they are still pretty lacking - the cognitive tests are far from perfect, and probably fall short of predicting the actual number of players with concussions.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Heyoooo*

If someone could make a .gif from the 1:07-1:12 mark of the YT video thatd be great.

CLEARLY shows intentional elbow.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:12 AM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
do you ever read their board? they routinely defend bertuzzi's hit on moore (still...to this day) and think that torres' hit on hossa was just finishing a check. they also think the only reason people criticize kesler is because everyone's biased against the canucks.
A couple of fans do not represent a whole fanbase. IMO all of the hits you listed are dirty and Kesler is a notorious diver.

The Hansen play however, was not dirty.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
If someone could make a .gif from the 1:07-1:12 mark of the YT video thatd be great.

I've seen several views of it. I get why fans trying to defend Hansen say he was going for the puck. The puck was indeed in flight right there. However Hossa doesn't catch the puck, it drops, and Hansen continues, after the puck is already on its way down, and delivers the elbow. It looks pretty clear from at least two angles that he never felt he was going to get the puck, so he delivered a shot, so Hossa couldn't catch it and was going to try to get the puck when it hit the ice.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Not everyone. Just Hawks and Bruins fans. And the Canadian press. Their diving tonight was magnificent. Those should be suspended in m y opinion. But then....Vancouver couldn't ice a team after three games.
I like Eddie's suggestion. If you get called for a Dive, the other penalty gets wiped out. So in the Kesler/Toews case, Toews doesn't get a penalty because Kesler embellished, and the Hawks get a PP. That would certainly dissuade players and teams from embellishing and diving, that's for sure.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:17 AM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
MOD
On another note, hope Hossa is alright. One of my favourite players on the Hawks.

Last edited by Fugu: 02-20-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: ...
Old
02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Fans can use their own forum to voice displeasure about a game and events. This may not be the best time for visitors to be here.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I like Eddie's suggestion. If you get called for a Dive, the other penalty gets wiped out. So in the Kesler/Toews case, Toews doesn't get a penalty because Kesler embellished, and the Hawks get a PP. That would certainly dissuade players and teams from embellishing and diving, that's for sure.
It still cannot be both imo, so I don't like the rule... its either a penalty or a Dive it cannot be both, because if he didnt embellish it might not have been noticeable for the original penalty.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:19 AM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:

yup, puck hits the ice but Hansen still follows through with an elbow, ditry hit, I'm not a fan of either team but this pisses me off to no end

Old
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Fans can use their own forum to voice displeasure about a game and events. This may not be the best time for visitors to be here.
Fugu laying down some law.

Old
roach9

Quote:

inĚtenĚtion
/inˈtenCHən/
Noun
A thing intended; an aim or plan: "both countries have declared their intention to be nuclear-free".

You're telling me that Hansen specifically thought in that instant of time, "I ought to hit Hossa in the back of the head with my elbow while the puck is conveniently 8 feet in the air, thus masking my true intentions".

I just don't think so buddy.

I hope Hossa is alright.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:20 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

Old
02-20-2013, 12:20 AM
roach9

I didn't see that mod post, you can delete my post if it ruffles feathers, just offering some objective thought on the matter. I'm not a Canuck fan, just a bipartisan.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:21 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
inĚtenĚtion
/inˈtenCHən/
Noun
A thing intended; an aim or plan: "both countries have declared their intention to be nuclear-free".

You're telling me that Hansen specifically thought in that instant of time, "I ought to hit Hossa in the back of the head with my elbow while the puck is conveniently 8 feet in the air, thus masking my true intentions".

I just don't think so buddy.

I hope Hossa is alright.
Nah, he specifically intended to catch a puck with his elbow.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:24 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
The only thing that makes him look like he is going for the Puck, is the impact to Hossa's head straightening out his elbow forearm

Old
02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTOEWSweTrust View Post
It still cannot be both imo, so I don't like the rule... its either a penalty or a Dive it cannot be both, because if he didnt embellish it might not have been noticeable for the original penalty.
Net-Net, I think you and I are really talking about the same thing.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
roach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Yoyoyo, I'm not saying he didn't hit him in the head, I'm saying those saying it was "intentional" are just fabricating this notion in their head to correlate with what they want to believe.
Akin to delusion.

I don't disagree that Hansen hit Hossa in the head.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Thank you.

The proof is in the pudding fellas. Its all right there. Certainly an intentional elbow IMO, and suspension worthy as well.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Yoyoyo, I'm not saying he didn't hit him in the head, I'm saying those saying it was "intentional" are just fabricating this notion in their head to correlate with what they want to believe.
Akin to delusion.

I don't disagree that Hansen hit Hossa in the head.
Im not correlating or fabricating any notion.

Thats a blatant follow through with the elbow.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:34 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Im not correlating or fabricating any notion.

Thats a blatant follow through with the elbow.
I don't think their was malicious intent..but he full well knew what he was doing.. just like when he speared the guy on the bruins

Old
02-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Capslock17

I hope Hossa will be okay, he really looked woozy being helped off.

It looked was a reckless forearm/elbow to me though. Im not sure what kind of player Hansen is, but I think he's more slimy than really actually dirty.

It looked to me like he was playing the body and tried to hit Hossa (not necessarily in the head) to allow him to get the puck, since he obviously wouldnt have been able to reach over and grab the puck from behind Hossa.

With that in mind, I don't think he'll be suspended. Maybe fined. I dont think hes had any similar incidents previously

Closed Thread