HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

View Poll Results: What should Hansen get?
No suspension 122 41.36%
A fine 49 16.61%
Lifetime ban 35 11.86%
A cookie 89 30.17%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Vajakki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShift4 View Post
I am still confused as to why he got a penalty.
Pretty sure the refs got scared after Hossa stayed down so they gave him a minor for that scrum afterwards.

Vajakki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
canuckthug16
that's curtains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
You can't compare that play to this one or the Chara one. Move on.

Hansen will get 1-2 games, and deservedly so, while it wasn't intentional, it was reckless and careless.
Finally some accountability and common sense in this thread. I think this play deserves 2-3 games. If that was [insert Hawk player] on Kesler we'd all be going crazy.

canuckthug16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Then tell me how many games Bollig should get for delivering a punch to Weise's head when he was clearly not going to engage in a fight. That was a sucker punch that would have caused hossa much more damage if he was the one taking that hit.

It may have been a tiny bit reckless, but the majority of players are not going to be affected by what looked like very little force. He shouldn't be punished because Hossa may be more fragile than other players. This should be a two minute penalty at most. If it was another player, it would have been nothing because he wouldn't have went down like he was shot.
If I ran the league, Bollig would get 4-5 games for that the first time, and exponentially more any time it happened again.

If the league is serious about concussions/head injuries -- and they should be -- they need to punish reckless/careless plays. I don't think Hansen's hit falls into the category of players running into each other when they don't see each other...

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
You can't compare that play to this one or the Chara one. Move on.

Hansen will get 1-2 games, and deservedly so, while it wasn't intentional, it was reckless and careless.
Pushing someone's head near the stanchion defines "reckless". If the NHL cares for consistency Hansen won't be suspended.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Listening to pIerre McGuire this morning....I swear the media is ****ing ********. No mention of the fact it was accidental contact or that Hansen was looking at the puck and reaching for the puck. A cookie for Hansen and nice warm glass of shut the hell up to toews and the media.

edler von real gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
This. People need to realize that the NHL can and needs to suspend careless plays, so that players think twice before making them.

I know Canucks fans get very defensive when stuff like this happens due to the crazies in other fan bases but had this happened the other the Canucks fan base would be screaming bloody murder.

1-2 games is probably going to be the outcome.
First off, stop watching the video in slow motion before you judge the intent.

This is a hockey play. All Hansen did was reach for a puck and bat it down while Hossa skated backwards and collided into him. It was completely unintentional and accidental. There's nothing "careless" about his actions whatsoever. The only reason we are talking about this is because Hossa is a star player in a premier market and he went down on the play.

If you ask me the player that is careless here is Hossa. Clearly he is fragile and has concussion issues. What the heck is he doing skating backwards like that.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckthug View Post
Finally some accountability and common sense in this thread. I think this play deserves 2-3 games. If that was [insert Hawk player] on Kesler we'd all be going crazy.
Kesler already got kronwalled on a far more reckless play. League didn't do a damn thing.

edler von real gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Per Murph;

Quote:
Dan Murphy‏@sportsnetmurph
#canucks landed in Dallas at 230am CT, will practice at 1pm CT, and Jannik Hansen will get a phone call from Shanny at 230pm CT.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckthug View Post
I watched the Oilers-LA game after ours. RNH got nailed with his head down and an LA player got pasted on a play where he was looking at the puck. If Hosaa gets up from that hit I don't even think there's a penalty. Hockey's a tough game and players get hit all of the time. It might be the easy way out for Shannahan to give a one or two game suspension to Hansen because Hossa is a star player. But I can see no justification for it based on what goes on in almost every game.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:09 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
This is a hockey play. All Hansen did was reach for a puck and bat it down while Hossa skated backwards and collided into him. It was completely unintentional and accidental. There's nothing "careless" about his actions whatsoever. The only reason we are talking about this is because Hossa is a star player in a premier market and he went down on the play.
Hansen threw out that forearm/elbow, like he knew he wanted it to make contact with Hossa. You don't reach for the puck like that nor do you bat it down like that. When he makes that kind of a motion with the forearm, it's with the intent of making contact with the other player.

Best-case scenario is that Hansen didn't mean to get Hossa in the head, but it's still completely reckless.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:

If you ask me the player that is careless here is Hossa. Clearly he is fragile and has concussion issues. What the heck is he doing skating backwards like that.
I came to that conclusion before watching it in slow motion in any detail.

So reaching for the puck and then elbow/punching a player in the head is a hockey play but skating backwards in attempt to play a puck in the air is reckless?

You do realize that hockey plays that go wrong can and should be suspended? Some hockey plays can be careless, just like this one was. You do realize that Matt Cooke's hit on Marc Savard and Mike Richard's hit on David Booth were considered hockey plays at the time?

Hockey is a fast game and stuff like this will happen, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not suspend a player for something like this.

CalgaryCanuck03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Intoewsables
MEAT AND TATERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Per Murph;
IIRC the maximum suspension Shanny can give over the phone is 5 games. Shouldn't get that high but it's better than him having to fly out to NY.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Kesler already got kronwalled on a far more reckless play. League didn't do a damn thing.
That's cause it was a clean hard hit...

Old
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
cashisking

Quote:

Now thats funny!!

cashisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
freakydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
If Chara can get away with breaking Pacioretty's neck on a "legal" play, then I think Hansen should be able to get away with giving Hossa a headache on an accidental one.
QFT
Any talk of a suspension is misguided-this play doesn't warrant a hearing.

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Zombie Jesus

Quote:
I came to that conclusion before watching it in slow motion in any detail.

So reaching for the puck and then elbow/punching a player in the head is a hockey play but skating backwards in attempt to play a puck in the air is reckless?

You do realize that hockey plays that go wrong can and should be suspended? Some hockey plays can be careless, just like this one was. You do realize that Matt Cooke's hit on Marc Savard and Mike Richard's hit on David Booth were considered hockey plays at the time?

Hockey is a fast game and stuff like this will happen, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not suspend a player for something like this.
Someone getting hurt shouldn't mean a suspension either.

Yes it is too bad that Hossa got hurt on that play, but that play happens dozens of times a season with nobody talking about the need to suspend anyone. Just because homerific asshats start blubbering about intent doesn't mean it is a play that should have resulted in anything.

Hell even worst case scenario, Hansen deliberately did it, I don't see a suspendable offense. It would be dirty, but nothing more then a 2 minute elbowing penalty.

Zombie Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Exactly, because he plays on a Canadian team they will make an example out of him (like with Bertuzzi) despite no history for Hansen.

Reverse the teams of Cooke/Karlsson or Chara/Pachioretty and you've suddenly got got major intent and suspensions/banishment.

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post

Yes it is too bad that Hossa got hurt on that play, but that play happens dozens of times a season with nobody talking about the need to suspend anyone. Just because homerific asshats start blubbering about intent doesn't mean it is a play that should have resulted in anything.

Hell even worst case scenario, Hansen deliberately did it, I don't see a suspendable offense. It would be dirty, but nothing more then a 2 minute elbowing penalty.
The real issue here should be was Hossa still fit to play in the NHL or at risk.

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post
IIRC the maximum suspension Shanny can give over the phone is 5 games. Shouldn't get that high but it's better than him having to fly out to NY.
You are correct. I certainly hope it's nothing like that, but we shall see if they decide to exhibit a lack of brain power here.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
The real issue here should be was Hossa still fit to play in the NHL or at risk.
Yeah, he stayed down for a long, long time. If it was anyone other than Hossa, this is a non-issue and isn't even discussed.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
That kind of contact happens all the time in games. The outrage is totally reactionary to Hossa staying down on the ice. The hit happened right in front of the Hawks bench. If you watch the replay no Hawk player even blinks as Hansen runs into Hossa. If Hossa was stunned by that kind of contact I'd be concerned for his health going forward.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post

Hossa is a start player, the NHL is very sensitive about head injuries now. In a game between two rival teams with some history of plays that have resulted in suspensions.

Hansen will get some sort of discipline for this hit. Whether it be a fine or suspension.

The fact is Hansen's elbow/forearm hit the back of Hossa's head and Hossa is injured. That will lead to a suspension more often than not.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Haha wow, I don't know how to feel about this.. Im double biased on Hansens part

I can see how the play is mildly reckless, but nothing to warant any suspensions.
A fine and a MAX of 1 game suspension I could live with, but no more..

Then again, it seems to me like Hossa just falls down like a little girl, I like Hossa, but that just looked WEAK!

Also, can't help but laugh at the hate on the hawks board

I can live with the hate towards us fans, heck even the team and organization, but the way allot of them are targeting Hansen is just stupid Haha omg they absolutely hate him, and are calling him a dirty, cheap player.. WTF??? Could they take off their coloured shades for a moment?

They are calling Nuck's fans all the names in the book, while showcasing the exact behaviour they are condemning.. It's just so Ironic it's funny

I love these games, and I love the hate we get from all sides...

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Sometimes things look less serious on TV, especially with the high number of slow motion replays we have now.
Also, Hossa has had a history of concussion.
Thus, even the slightest or even most innocent play could trigger another one.

One never know with these things.

After watching the play numerous time, I don't know if the hit was intentional or not.
I can see it both ways.
Hansen was clearly not able to get to be the puck before Hossa...
At the same time, Hansen is competitive and crazy enough to really try to get the puck before Hossa.
It was kind of like a jumpball situation.
Sometimes accidents happen.

I do think Hansen will probably get off scot-free, but I can also see the other way because Hossa is a star player, and the league always protects its stars.
Nevertheless, even if the league decides to suspend Hansen, I will be surprised if he gets more than one game.
wrong. you clearly know nothing about brain injuries.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Zombie Jesus

Quote:
Hossa is a start player, the NHL is very sensitive about head injuries now. In a game between two rival teams with some history of plays that have resulted in suspensions.

Hansen will get some sort of discipline for this hit. Whether it be a fine or suspension.

The fact is Hansen's elbow/forearm hit the back of Hossa's head and Hossa is injured. That will lead to a suspension more often than not.
But it shouldn't.

**** happens. It is hockey and it isn't even really a dangerous play. The only reason Hansen will get anything is because Hossa is a superstar and Hansen is vermin who plays for the Canucks. And that is the problem with this entire exercise.

Bollig does that to Sedin, nothing is said nothing is done. Yes as Canuck fans odds are we are unhappy and some may be calling for a suspension, but the NHL wouldn't give a rats ass and the media wouldn't be calling for blood.

Zombie Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote