HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At Least 1 NHL team has asked the Maple Leafs for permission to talk with Brian Burke

Old
02-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Whydidijoin*

vCash: 500
You don't get compensation for executives anymore. Ironically, this was something Burke was trying to implement again.

This team will miss him greatly, and we will benefit from his brilliant work for years to come.

Wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up. Hopefully they treat him with more respect than Rogers and Bell did.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
For sure. And Burke will have a clause in any non-GM contract that will give him an out to take any future GM opportunity. I'm sure he would want to move on from MLSE.
The only reason Burke is still attached to MLSE is because he is still under contract to the organization.

The other day, while Burke was attending the game at MLSE he was sitting with the other teams scouts and not even in the MLSE Leafs box. So clearly its an awkward situation as to where Burke remains in the organization in a state of limbo.

I can't see MLSE having any problem granting other teams permission to talk to him and severing all ties likely in the best interest of both parties all things considered.

02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Pierre Gotye

I'm thinking Dallas, Columbus, Ottawa or possibly Colorado. Probably a President or Advisors role, like what Cliff Fletcher has right now.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:18 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
I'm thinking Dallas, Columbus, Ottawa or possibly Colorado. Probably a President or Advisors role, like what Cliff Fletcher has right now.
Any Team that brings him in will immediately put their GM on the hot seat. Colorado could be an option but I doubt the other 3.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
number72

Calgary would be prefect for him

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Calgary would be prefect for him
Doubt he goes to another team with that much garbage. Look what happened here in Toronto.

02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
AngryScotsman

Boston would make sense from his perspective, but I doubt the feeling would be mutual as Boson seems to be doing fine without him.

Hmm, Winnipeg? They seem to enjoy our previously used items.

AngryScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Doubt he goes to another team with that much garbage. Look what happened here in Toronto.
Really? You think Burke is a "Tried that. Couldn't quite do it. Never gonna try it again." type? I don't. I think he's likely to tackle a situation similar to the Leaf one to prove he can do it.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The other day, while Burke was attending the game at MLSE he was sitting with the other teams scouts and not even in the MLSE Leafs box. So clearly its an awkward situation as to where Burke remains in the organization in a state of limbo.
good for Burke or MLSE

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Clark4Ever

I think Burke has too much pride to accept anything less than an offer to be the GM of a NHL club, and rightfully so. The right opportunity will present itself eventually.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

He was there for USA Hockey, why would he be in the MLSE press box?

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Great points. Boston seems like the perfect fit for Burke. He can definitely bring something to the table there. Also, some of his kids live there and he has a lot of history in the area. I'd actually like to see that for Brian.
I wouldn't want to see Brian Burke go to Boston. I was joking around that Brian Burke was a Boston Bruins spy intent on ruining the Leafs when he made the Kessel deal and if he got fired one day he'd get a soft landing in the Bruins organization. There would be something poetically unjust about him teaming up with Chiarelli over there and having a cigar over how the two of them basically built the Bruins.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I think Burke has too much pride to accept anything less than an offer to be the GM of a NHL club, and rightfully so. The right opportunity will present itself eventually.
I dont. If hes made President of a club he can axe the GM if he so wishes and step in.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
He is getting paid $3 mil a year by MLSE while his current contract is running..

Once he joins another organization MLSE will be off the hook financially and more importantly Burke is going to take a pay cut to move on.

So that will be a big factor is all this even if MLSE were to give permission for other teams to contact him.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
That would be the thing this franchise needs.

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
achtungbaby

I thought Dreger hinted that Burke would be hired in more of a scouting role? I was changing my kids diaper at the time and wasn't paying attention that closely. If it is a scouting role, he's leaving for the same work JFJ found when he was let go as GM. Who would have thought that would happen when Burke first came here?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Her moved here, since he wanted to be back east. Columbus would be
the furthest west he would go. Can't see Wang paying for him either.

I can see Washington or Philly at this point.
Secondly would he really go for a downgrade position?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Any Team that brings him in will immediately put their GM on the hot seat. Colorado could be an option but I doubt the other 3.
Burke carries a price tag too hefty for an organization as notoriously cheap as the Avalanche.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:36 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
My moneys on Washington.

The owner can do the hire. Doesnt have to be the GM. Like Feaster in Calgary. Or like JD in Columbus. Burke could be hired as President/Director of Hockey Ops, then axe the GM.
This, I see him being hired as President somewhere.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Burke carries a price tag too hefty for an organization as notoriously cheap as the Avalanche.
I didn't realize they were cheap.

Not sure what Burke would look for but I'd imagine he'd be taking a pay cut anywhere he went.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416418

Quote:
There's a big-name free agent out there by the name of Brian Burke. Have any teams expressed interest in hiring Burke in some capacity?

Dreger: At least one team has reached out to the Toronto Maple Leafs to ask permission to speak with Brian Burke. Now, what would his role be? It would either be in a consulting or a scouting capacity, perhaps in the front office.

Brian Burke is looking for a bridge opportunity, an opportunity that may lead to a job with an organization as their next general manager. So teams are kicking tires on Burke.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Burke is currently the highest paid unemployed NHL executive in the game.

He makes more money not to work than most other teams NHL execs are paid to work.

This will be a huge factor in future job opportunities as Burke will be taking a pay cut to go back to work.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:50 PM
AINEC
Kessel's "intensity"

Which team needs truculence?

AINEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I didn't realize they were cheap.

Not sure what Burke would look for but I'd imagine he'd be taking a pay cut anywhere he went.
They really are. Barely reach the floor, cheap unqualified coach, long history of undervaluing players and taking a take it or leave it approach

Scott Young, Sandis Ozolinsh, Valeri Kamensky, Chris Simon, Chris Drury, nearly Joe Sakic, Craig Anderson, Ryan O'Reilly, etc etc.

Doubt Burke would go there & doubt they'd be willing to pay Burke what he would expect. Plus I doubt he wants to go that far west.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:59 PM
daner

I think he could really help Edmonton. A team with very little/weak D and suspect goaltending.

He always tries to build from the net out, something their GM seems allergic to.

daner is offline   Reply With Quote