HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs looking at Jonathan Bernier.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Maple Leafs looking at Jonathan Bernier.

From Leafs forum...

On That's Hockey, Bob McKenzie stated the following.

"As of right now (can change in a moment) I fully expect James Reimer and Ben Scrivens to be the goaltenders (on saturday), but the Leafs are kicking tires on Jon Bernier, and now that Brian Burke and Francois Allaire are gone, there may be more interest. Jon Quick is coming off of back surgery, so LA wants to make sure he is 100% before moving Bernier, but the Leafs may get more pieces back that could make it interesting"

My initial proposal would be...

Clarke MacArthur
Nazem Kadri
Ben Scrivens OR Prospect (D'Amigo, Blacker, Ross or Holzer)
2nd Round Pick

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
From Leafs forum...

"As of right now (can change in a moment) I fully expect James Reimer and Ben Scrivens to be the goaltenders (on saturday), but the Leafs are kicking tires on Jon Bernier, and now that Brian Burke and Francois Allaire are gone, there may be more interest. Jon Quick is coming off of back surgery, so LA wants to make sure he is 100% before moving Bernier, but the Leafs may get more pieces back that could make it interesting"

Clarke MacArthur
Nazem Kadri
Prospect (D'Amigo, Blacker, Ross or Holzer)
2nd Round Pick
bernier isnt a starting goalie yet he gets virtually the same offer as that for luongo

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullyoursocksup View Post
bernier isnt a starting goalie yet he gets virtually the same offer as that for luongo
Bernier is 10 years younger and doesn't have a 10 year contract.

If Quick is back and healthy, they could move Bernier.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:01 PM
TieClark

Bernier isn't any better than Reimer at this point... that's far too much to give up based on what he might do on a far worse team

TieClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

So TO had the chance to grab Vokoun for a 7th or outbid Pitts and offer a 4th, and they didn't take it?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Bernier is not worth anywhere close to that much.

I like him, but come on.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

oh wow, yes you can have Bernier for all of that. Kings would probably instantly flip Kadri + Mcarthur for picks

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
WildcatMapleLeafs28

To me it makes more sense to acquire a guy that is young , fitting in with the core of the team. Also, Nonis mentioned he wasn't going to trade young players for old guys, in which he wouldn't be doing here. If it takes Kadri , MacArthur, B prospect/Scrivens and a 2nd , so be it. Let's get it done. Let's not forget that Bernier is a former 1st rounder who oozes talent while still being young. I think he'll strive with more responsability and under Carlyle's new defensive system.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
Is Bernier that much better than Reimer to the point where it is worth Toronto giving up valuable assets?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Woll Smoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
So TO had the chance to grab Vokoun for a 7th or outbid Pitts and offer a 4th, and they didn't take it?
Maybe age had something to do with it.
Leafs are a young team, easier to get younger players to stick around than a 36 year old.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sgupca

rumor last year was LA liked Frattin

so you have to think he's in the deal.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
From Leafs forum...

Clarke MacArthur
Nazem Kadri
2nd Round Pick
For Quick or Bernier?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fogelhund

The interesting part is what is the other piece the Leafs and Kings are talking about. There has been some talk that the Kings would look at moving Carter, with an eye on the reduced Salary Cap next year.

Carter and Bernier would be a block buster of a trade, and really help the Leafs, but at what cost?

I also wonder if this is just talk to push Gillis and the Luongo situation... particularly given Booth and Kesler are unavailable now.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post

Rumour was that LA liked Kulemin, Frattin and MacArthur.

Frattin has higher value that Mac, IMO.

I'd move Frattin, Prospect, Scrivens and a 3rd for Bernier.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Holy crap.

We undervalue our prospects immensely and overvalue others immensely.

I REALLY like Bernier and I'd love to have him on the team, but man... That's insanity.

Clarke MacArthur + 2nd round pick, IMO, is fair, and bordering on an ove rpayment since it will be a high 2nd rounder. Adding D'Amigo and Kadri pretty much guts our franchise.

C.Mac + 2nd
for
Bernier

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Realistically... when he chose to go to Washington for $1.5m, and then Pittsburgh to be Fleury's backup, it's obvious that he's chasing a cup.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Right now the Kings are looking at a depth defenseman who can help ease the loss of Willie Mitchell, who will be out for several weeks. If they trade Bernier, they'll probably look to add at least one ready and able defenseman in addition to a capable backup goalie and prospects/picks.

With Gardiner, Rielly and Holzer competing for roster spots and with the Leafs just recently signing Mottau, is it possible that the Leafs could use Carl Gunnarsson as the main piece to trade for Bernier?

Perhaps something along the lines of Jonathan Bernier, Brad Richardson, and Bud Holloway for Carl Hunnarsson, James Reimer, and a 2nd round pick?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
roach9

I would LOL if you guys got Bernier.

I've watched him for years now and I am in NO way sold on his game. I certainly question his ability to be a starter in this league.

You guys would seriously be better off with Luongo.

With that said...

TO - Finn + 2nd

LA - Bernier

Is about fair, I would say.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

We need a legit defensive defenseman. MacArthur is a forward right? Not sure where we would put him...

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
From Leafs forum...

Clarke MacArthur
Nazem Kadri
2nd Round Pick

Counter frattin 1st Scrivens
Again Kings gm said we will proberly keep bernier due to the type of schedule this year. Alot of back to back games which bernier will play to keep quicks back rested for the playoffs.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Right now the Kings are looking at a depth defenseman who can help ease the loss of Willie Mitchell, who will be out for several weeks. If they trade Bernier, they'll probably look to add at least one ready and able defenseman in addition to a capable backup goalie and prospects/picks.

With Gardiner, Rielly and Holzer competing for roster spots and with the Leafs just recently signing Mottau, is it possible that the Leafs could use Carl Gunnarsson as the main piece to trade for Bernier?

Perhaps something along the lines of Jonathan Bernier, Brad Richardson, and Bud Holloway for Carl Hunnarsson, James Reimer, and a 2nd round pick?
If Rielly proves to be capable of NHL minutes this season, Carl Gunnarsson becomes expendable.

Given that Gardiner is healthy.

All three are LD.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:11 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Not a chance.

One of the Leafs biggest weakness is stay-at-home defnecemen. Carl Gunnarsson is our only capable one and we're actively seeking another... so he'd certainly be untouchable in a Bernier deal.

Gardiner & Rielly are both puckmovers. If both develop as the Leafs hope, John-Michael Liles will be made available.

Btw, we wouldn't consider moving Reimer for Bernier. The former is proven in his ability to play a #1 role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
We need a legit defensive defenseman. MacArthur is a forward right? Not sure where we would put him...
So do we. We don't have one to give.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Holy crap.

We undervalue our prospects immensely and overvalue others immensely.

I REALLY like Bernier and I'd love to have him on the team, but man... That's insanity.

Clarke MacArthur + 2nd round pick, IMO, is fair, and bordering on an ove rpayment since it will be a high 2nd rounder. Adding D'Amigo and Kadri pretty much guts our franchise.

C.Mac + 2nd
for
Bernier
Especially considering MacArthur's value a couple of trade deadlines ago was a late 1st and 3rd ..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post

Frattin could become a very useful 2nd line player. Brown could teach him a lot. Bernier's potential is obviously higher but he will not get an opportunity to prove it in LA. Shipping him to an Eastern team that LA will never play, mixed with no opportunity for him makes this a pretty lateral value trade.

A 2nd and decent prospect should balance the values.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The interesting part is what is the other piece the Leafs and Kings are talking about. There has been some talk that the Kings would look at moving Carter, with an eye on the reduced Salary Cap next year.

Carter and Bernier would be a block buster of a trade, and really help the Leafs, but at what cost?

I also wonder if this is just talk to push Gillis and the Luongo situation... particularly given Booth and Kesler are unavailable now.
huh never heard this link please The kings are well under the cap with penner and gagne suderi as free agents

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote