Notices

Peter Chiarelli and his Love for the 2004 Calgary Flames

Old
02-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Peter Chiarelli and his Love for the 2004 Calgary Flames

I have read on occasion that Chia always liked the 2004 Flames team that made the finals.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000432004.html

Looking down that list, he has acquired the following players:

Sean Donovan
Chris Clark
Chuck Kobasew
Staphane Yelle
Andrew Ferrence
Steve Montador

Not major names, but its still a large number considering he has gone on record stating he really liked that team and their identity.

Now, this does not mean he will go after Iginla.. but it does show there is a connection between the two, more so than many people realize.

I think Chiarelli likes to deal with those he is close to/has followed for many years. He reached out to his friend Burke twice while in Toronto, has traded multiple times with Carolina, and may just reach out to his old friend in Ottawa.

Perhaps it is nothing, but something worth looking at during a few off days.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I have read on occasion that Chia always liked the 2004 Flames team that made the finals.

Sean Donovan
Chris Clark
Chuck Kobasew
Staphane Yelle
Andrew Ferrence
Steve Montador

Not major names, but its still a large number considering he has gone on record stating he really liked that team and their identity.

Now, this does not mean he will go after Iginla.. but it does show there is a connection between the two, more so than many people realize.

I think Chiarelli likes to deal with those he is close to/has followed for many years. He reached out to his friend Burke twice while in Toronto, has traded multiple times with Carolina, and may just reach out to his old friend in Ottawa.

I think, and I say that having absolutely no inside info, that most GM`s have a few fellow GM`s that for whatever reason, they just deal better with than others. I`d love to hear "off the record" interviews from some exposing which GM`s are impossible to deal with.

When trying to figure out potential trade/aquisition partners under Chia, I`ve done so by looking at his history of which teams he seems to deal with, and his familiarity with certain players. Some come under the radar of course.

I see Chia, if he makes moves this year to look to the Flames/Wild/ Sens (I see a prospect for picks scenario in which the Sens obtain a Providence D-man as the frontrunners for deals.

While most will lean to Iggy moving, I`d argue the type of player that Chia is looking at will be the Glencross/Stempniak`s and I want a Clutterbuck citing in Boston yesterday, still love the guy.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Fire Julien

Hopefully that means Chris Simon is coming

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:27 AM
sooshii
SISU

Quote:
there was an article in the globe referencing this last week.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
weaponomega

I think Ference himself stated that when Chiarelli acquired him he requested he try and develop the same type of closeness and chemistry in the B's dressing that existed in Calgary. It looks like it worked out as Chiarelli planned.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:53 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I think all GM's do.

We speculate about players and who fits where and why, but I think, more often than not, deals come down to relationships: GM's, AGM's, guys who used to work together, players who used to play for your current coach, and so on.

02-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I think all GM's do.

We speculate about players and who fits where and why, but I think, more often than not, deals come down to relationships: GM's, AGM's, guys who used to work together, players who used to play for your current coach, and so on.
Agree with this but...

From what I have been able to find (admit looked quickly) there has only been one trade between the Bruins and current Flames GM Jay Feaster and that's when he was GM of Tampa ( Feb 2006 Bruins acquire Brian Eklund for Zdenek Blatny) and MOC was Bruins GM at the time.

I don't think there is a history between Feaster and Chiarelli, even when Chia was AGM of the Sens.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
ranold26
Registered Loser

mmmkay...so whom is acquiring the 2011 Bruins...

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
ranold26
Registered Loser

just to add.. Chia has locked most of our important pieces from our 2011 club. CGY's '04 guys that we signed weren't the top pieces on that club...nor were they big on our cup winning club.

So... look at our 3rd and 4th lines from '11 and watch...and laugh.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:19 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Agree with this but...

From what I have been able to find (admit looked quickly) there has only been one trade between the Bruins and current Flames GM Jay Feaster and that's when he was GM of Tampa ( Feb 2006 Bruins acquire Brian Eklund for Zdenek Blatny) and MOC was Bruins GM at the time.

I don't think there is a history between Feaster and Chiarelli, even when Chia was AGM of the Sens.
No trade history but there is a relationship. John Weisbrod is their AGM and he worked here for Chiarelli for a few years. I think he was part of scouting and development so he probably knows our prospect pool pretty well.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:37 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

This is a good thread and is interesting. I really liked that team too. Especially their defensemen. Lydman was the best one and was hurt and they still made the finals without him. Warrener was the worst regular probably and he was OK. Montador stunk compared to the other Dand didn't play much (one reason why I wasn't happy when we got him.) Commodore also played rarely but he was a good player and eventually got a stupid contract from someone.

I wonder why Chia never got us Leopold, seems like his type of PMD.

Wonder why Saprykin was out of the NHL so early, he was a nice third liner. Last played over 5 years ago.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Mazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
No trade history but there is a relationship. John Weisbrod is their AGM and he worked here for Chiarelli for a few years. I think he was part of scouting and development so he probably knows our prospect pool pretty well.
Honestly I think this is probably tied with past relationships/trust for what can really grease the wheels to get a deal done. When a guy on another staff is intimately familiar with your prospects, that *has* to carry a ton of weight.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

Sean Donovan
Chris Clark
Chuck Kobasew
Staphane Yelle
Andrew Ferrence
Steve Montador

the biggest beatdown, it was a Hannibal Lecterish dismantling of the Bruins 5-0 either the 2003 seaon when the Bruins were very good, or the next year with Lewis, but I think it was the Thornton group. That Flames team I think came within a Martin Gelinas replay of winning the Cup- but Chairelli loved that team. It was a team in the true sense. Iggy was the star but the rest were soldiers and they really brought it.

Maybe my favorite all-time Bruins drubbing because it was so thorough.

Yes, you are right Chris, Chia loves that game and if you ever see him and bring it up, he'll likely smile because regardless of what side you were on, it was a masterpiece in teamwork and outworking an opponent

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Oates2Neely

He's starting to develop a "thing" for former Panthers now

Horton
Campbell
Seidenberg

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:21 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
He's starting to develop a "thing" for former Panthers now

Horton
Campbell
Seidenberg
I think of Seidenberg as a Hurricane more than Panther. He'd have to add Brian to Greg to really get you thinking there is a connection.

Horton was a failed franchise player for Florida who got lazy down there, picked up his South Beach supermodel wife, and then sort of demanded to play somewhere else before he came close to realizing his potential for the team that drafted him. I like Nate as a Bruins fan but I'd hate the guy if I rooted for the Panthers. Also always held what Wheeler did to the Coyotes against him and thought he was a tainted player for it.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote