HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

How many games for Hansen elbow on Hossa?

View Poll Results: How many games does Hansen get suspended?
0 games 85 49.42%
1-2 games 55 31.98%
3-4 games 19 11.05%
5-6 games 7 4.07%
7-8 games 2 1.16%
9 games 4 2.33%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Because the puck was on the left side of his body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Ok, that's as bad as the Hossa was skating backwards posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
The puck was to Hansen's left and he had his stick in his right hand, it was more efficient and convenient to use his left hand. You spin things worse than Fox News
Really, so, you think it's just smart hockey to hold your stick in the middle with only your right hand (which is reckless anyways) while lunging up to bat down a puck with the left hand? Do you have any clue how awkward that is? He has his stick held in the middle up high while lunging for the puck with his opposite hand. The whole thing is completely awkward.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Just an FYI, Kerry Fraser chimes in:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=416432

Quote:
Stranger things have happened but I would be surprised if Hansen receives a suspension on this play. I have seen far worse hits that have gone unpunished this season.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
guy, what kind of argument are you even trying to make here? The back and forth with you and the others is ridiculous.
Your insisting that "just reaching for the puck" is legitimate when you can clearly see someone's head and entire body in your way is a bit ridiculous too.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Your insisting that "just reaching for the puck" is legitimate when you can clearly see someone's head and entire body in your way is a bit ridiculous too.
You've clearly made up your mind.

The way you see it is that Hansen had eyes on Hossa the whole time, and decided that would be a great opportunity to purposefully smoke the back of Hossa's head.

Clearly you know what Hansen was thinking and seeing from the limited camera angle and you are the expert on mind reading.

I don't even know why I bother with the reply, you will continue to banter back and forth with this response among others with your expertise on the matter

Old
02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Really, so, you think it's just smart hockey to hold your stick in the middle with only your right hand (which is reckless anyways) while lunging up to bat down a puck with the left hand? Do you have any clue how awkward that is? He has his stick held in the middle up high while lunging for the puck with his opposite hand. The whole thing is completely awkward.

Who cares if it was awkward? Awkward does not equate to dirty, or prove there was intent, or that it was malicious, and thus probably not suspendible (I'm paraphrasing Fraser).
You're making one of the weakest arguments I've seen on HF Boards.
At most, it was a reckless accident, just like Cooke on Karlsson, which wasn't punished.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
You've clearly made up your mind.

The way you see it is that Hansen had eyes on Hossa the whole time, and decided that would be a great opportunity to purposefully smoke the back of Hossa's head.

Clearly you know what Hansen was thinking and seeing from the limited camera angle and you are the expert on mind reading.

I don't even know why I bother with the reply, you will continue to banter back and forth with this response among others with your expertise on the matter
Nope, Hansen was being a bit reckless and did more harm than he intended on a ridiculous play he should have never made. Ok, 15 second left in the game with the puck in the air crossing your blue line while defending a one goal lead..maybe. I never claimed to know what he is thinking, you're the one that claimed his only purpose was to catch the puck and it's one of the most awkward catch attempts I've seen in the neutral zone.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Nope, Hansen was being a bit reckless and did more harm than he intended on a ridiculous play he should have never made. Ok, 15 second left in the game with the puck in the air crossing your blue line while defending a one goal lead..maybe. I never claimed to know what he is thinking, you're the one that claimed his only purpose was to catch the puck and it's one of the most awkward catch attempts I've seen in the neutral zone.
Really?
You'd think a player's goal would be to retrieve the puck whenever possible, Hansen was just doing his job as a player.
I would be disappointed with him if he followed your logic and only tried hard in certain scenarios.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
okay, some of you are starting to take things a bit far. Watch the trolling and dont let the discussion get personal. Thanks.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
intentional elbow from repeat offender
bwhahaha repeat offender? When was his last suspension? Hearing? Fine?

Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Girouxtiful

Quote:
Only play hard if it's the end of a close game everyone. If there's 20 minutes left in the game, just take it easy, if you happen to get a goal at some point, that's just swell. This is hockey after all everyone, don't want to see it turn dangerous.

Is the situation great? No. Nobody wants to see a guy like Hossa go down to a scary injury like that. But at some point you people need to take off your homer glasses and grasping at straws to find a way to justify the argument that he intended on killing him. Hockey is a fast sport - sometimes it's tough to gauge the effects of every motion you make on the ice. From a very neutral third party perspective, I see this as a hockey play that ended badly; nothing more.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I want our players to play hard all game. In fact, I wish a few more of them would have shown as much hustle as Hansen did that game, even excluding the collision with Hossa. I didn't notice any Hawks letting up on plays which is as it should be. Play hard from the opening play to the end of the game.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Can someone please answer why Hansen is catching the puck with his left hand? Why in the world would would someone with thousands of hours of being schooled in hockey fundamentals all the sudden decide to do the exact opposite of how everyone plays the game?

Give me a break. That's clearly a leading question based not only on it's phrasing but also on your response when people suggested he was trying to catch the puck. You may not have openly said you question his intent, but you clear as day implied it.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girouxtiful View Post
Only play hard if it's the end of a close game everyone. If there's 20 minutes left in the game, just take it easy, if you happen to get a goal at some point, that's just swell. This is hockey after all everyone, don't want to see it turn dangerous.

Is the situation great? No. Nobody wants to see a guy like Hossa go down to a scary injury like that. But at some point you people need to take off your homer glasses and grasping at straws to find a way to justify the argument that he intended on killing him. Hockey is a fast sport - sometimes it's tough to gauge the effects of every motion you make on the ice. From a very neutral third party perspective, I see this as a hockey play that ended badly; nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Really?
You'd think a player's goal would be to retrieve the puck whenever possible, Hansen was just doing his job as a player.
I would be disappointed with him if he followed your logic and only tried hard in certain scenarios.
He reached out through a players head with his stick hand and elbow to catch a puck in the neutral zone. By your precedent, you can nail a guy in the head anytime he tries to catch a puck as long as the puck is somewhere within your reach and his head, you somehow equate that with effort. There's another player in front of him in position to actually make the catch, reckless play.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
He reached out through a players head with his stick hand and elbow to catch a puck in the neutral zone. By your precedent, you can nail a guy in the head anytime he tries to catch a puck as long as the puck is somewhere within your reach and his head, you somehow equate that with effort. There's another player in front of him in position to actually make the catch, reckless play.

Well if you can't even describe the scenario accurately, there's not much of a point trying to have a rational discussion with you. He reached out with his left hand (not stick hand), and I don't know how someone could "reach through someone's head"
But I will agree that it was fairly reckless; doesn't mean there was intent or it deserves a suspension though.

Old
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockH View Post
Give me a break. That's clearly a leading question based not only on it's phrasing but also on your response when people suggested he was trying to catch the puck. You may not have openly said you question his intent, but you clear as day implied it.
What's wrong with questioning his intent? If you can imply there was no intent I have every right to question it based on how the play looks because both of us can only judge the play on appearance alone. There's nothing wrong with that, I apologize if it offends you.

Old
Babs

I just wanted to chime in here and say that any Van fans saying that its Hossa's fault are being ridiculous. The way I see it is Hossa was boxing Hansen out, Hansen jumped for the puck but realized he couldn't get there and went for the hit to throw Hossa off balance. I don't think he was targeting his head but regardless that's what he hit. Its a reckless play and I think he should get 1 game, 2 at the most. He has no history and is NOT a dirty player.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
That's not a strong argument. Players go for the puck all of the time when another player has possession. That's the essence of hockey. Both players have anequal right to go after the puck. In this case neither player even had possession.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually, he's clearly responding to your statement:

Quote:
Ok, 15 second left in the game with the puck in the air crossing your blue line while defending a one goal lead..maybe.
If you're saying that the attempt is acceptable at one point in the game but not at others, then you are saying that certain efforts should only be made late game.

Old

Having watched Hansen play just about every game of his NHL career, I wouldn't say he is or ever has been a dirty player.

He:
A. Is a hard forechecker.
B. Has awkward limb motions and a bouncy arms swinging type of stride due to formidable lower body strength. (If you have ever played soccer or ball hockey with these type of people you know often you can get unintentionally elbowed)
C. Tends to be a bit of a slow decision maker (compared to leg speed).
D. Tends to have much slower hand speed than foot speed.
F. Despite all this he is more of a skill player than a gritty player.

Based on all of this, I think that suggesting premeditation or vindictiveness is wholly out of left field.

Hansen makes plays at least once a game where his legs get him somewhere and his hands let him down. (Canucks fans can attest to this)

I am quite convinced this is one of these times. Hansen seems to have just powered his way towards the pop fly; but missed the catch because he is kind of clumsy.

That being said, clumsiness resulting in injury can still be penalized.

Do I think that in this case the 2 minute minor was deserved?
Yes, because Hossa got the puck first.

Does it merit a suspension?
I could see arguments for 0-1 games based on whether Shanahan decides that Hansen should have been able to 'pull up' or not despite the lack of intent.

Old
Reign Nateo

"Repeat Offender" does not mean Hawks and Oiler fans have posted YouTube videos about him on HF...

Hansen is not a dirty player, plays on the edge. This is only an issue because Hossa has scrambled eggs for brains now. That kind of contact wouldn't have bothered someone with a healthy brain.

0 games. Shouldn't even have been reviewed.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Babs

Quote:
Or if you're Duncan Kieth the puck doesn't even have to be near you.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What's wrong with questioning his intent? If you can imply there was no intent I have every right to question it based on how the play looks because both of us can only judge the play on appearance alone. There's nothing wrong with that, I apologize if it offends you.
Absolutely nothing wrong with questioning it, or even reaching your own conclusion on it. I only took issue with your statement that you "never claimed to know what he is thinking"). You have very clearly expressed the opinion that you do not think he was making a legit play for the puck. Thus, you have made a claim regarding his knowing his intent, and further have implied it was malicious (if two options are available, A and B, and you say "it's definitely not A" then by deduction you are saying that it is B).

Old
02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockH View Post
Actually, he's clearly responding to your statement:

If you're saying that the attempt is acceptable at one point in the game but not at others, then you are saying that certain efforts should only be made late game.
I'm saying, the play is so awkward it appears like the type of thing someone would do only in desperation, you can't admit that? I mean, goals are occasionally scored from center ice but no one dives to block a dump in, therefore, they aren't giving 100% effort.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs;60111355[B
]I'm saying, the play is so awkward it appears like the type of thing someone would do only in desperation[/B], you can't admit that? I mean, goals are occasionally scored from center ice but no one dives to block a dump in, therefore, they aren't giving 100% effort.
Not a good analogy. Players all of the time go for loose pucks. There are probably over 20 examples in last night's game alone. Heck, sometimes they even do so awkwardly.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
I'm saying, the play is so awkward it appears like the type of thing someone would do only in desperation, you can't admit that? I mean, goals are occasionally scored from center ice but no one dives to block a dump in, therefore, they aren't giving 100% effort.
That doesn't really clear it up. If anything I'm more confused now.

Closed Thread