HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How many games for Hansen elbow on Hossa?

View Poll Results: How many games does Hansen get suspended?
0 games 85 49.42%
1-2 games 55 31.98%
3-4 games 19 11.05%
5-6 games 7 4.07%
7-8 games 2 1.16%
9 games 4 2.33%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Co Ho*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Not a good analogy. Players all of the time go for loose pucks. There are probably over 20 examples in last night's game alone. Heck, sometimes they even do so awkwardly.
Yep, and if you dove for a puck being dumped in and missed it, you'd be out of position; the reward doesn't outweigh the risk involved. That analogy was awful.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Not a good analogy. Players all of the time go for loose pucks. There are probably over 20 examples in last night's game alone. Heck, sometimes they even do so awkwardly.
I think I can't define the borders between giving effort, being reckless, and being malicious. It just appears to be questionable to do what he did with Hossa right in front of him.

It's not fair to boil it down to just reaching for the puck if someone's head happens to be in the way of that puck.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I'm saying, the play is so awkward it appears like the type of thing someone would do only in desperation, you can't admit that? I mean, goals are occasionally scored from center ice but no one dives to block a dump in, therefore, they aren't giving 100% effort.
Fair argument, even if I don't agree with the point. It looked awkward in execution, but at game speed making the split second decision as to whether to make the attempt, I think it's a much closer call than something like say, diving to block a dump in. Also, plays should be evaluated based on risk vs reward, not likelihood of success. There is minimal chance of a 'reward' out of blocking a dump-in, and a higher degree of risk (you're out of position if they get the dump-in in, plus you could be injured blocking it). There's little risk to Hansen or the Canucks though when he takes a long shot chance to retrieve a puck before Hossa can, even if it is a very low percentage and awkward looking play.

Edit: I'm not saying you overlook the risk to Hossa. I do think that you were making an argument that the low success probability and awkwardness of the attempt indicated intent though, and I disagree with that argument.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I think I can't define the borders between giving effort, being reckless, and being malicious. It just appears to be questionable to do what he did with Hossa right in front of him.

It's not fair to boil it down to just reaching for the puck if someone's head happens to be in the way of that puck.
Fair enough. I suspect from reading your posts on the issue on the Hawks Board that you might have a different view if it was a Hawk giving the extra effort. But I acknowledge it's hard to be objective when another team is involved.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1440 View Post
Having watched Hansen play just about every game of his NHL career, I wouldn't say he is or ever has been a dirty player.

He:
A. Is a hard forechecker.
B. Has awkward limb motions and a bouncy arms swinging type of stride due to formidable lower body strength. (If you have ever played soccer or ball hockey with these type of people you know often you can get unintentionally elbowed)
C. Tends to be a bit of a slow decision maker (compared to leg speed).
D. Tends to have much slower hand speed than foot speed.
F. Despite all this he is more of a skill player than a gritty player.

Based on all of this, I think that suggesting premeditation or vindictiveness is wholly out of left field.

Hansen makes plays at least once a game where his legs get him somewhere and his hands let him down. (Canucks fans can attest to this)

I am quite convinced this is one of these times. Hansen seems to have just powered his way towards the pop fly; but missed the catch because he is kind of clumsy.

That being said, clumsiness resulting in injury can still be penalized.

Do I think that in this case the 2 minute minor was deserved?
Yes, because Hossa got the puck first.

Does it merit a suspension?
I could see arguments for 0-1 games based on whether Shanahan decides that Hansen should have been able to 'pull up' or not despite the lack of intent.
You've watched "just about every game" he's played, but you failed to catch game 7 of the finals? Interesting.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

I think he should get at least one game. Was reckless, not sure how anyone can say it wasn't.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Fair enough. I suspect from reading your posts on the issue on the Hawks Board that you might have a different view if it was a Hawk giving the extra effort. But I acknowledge it's hard to be objective when another team is involved.
I can see the homer idea of it being either a complete accident or a malicious headhunt, to me it falls in the Carcillo category of going a bit too hard on a play and then causing injury. Not saying Hansen has Carcillo's reputation, just trying to say he likely made a very hard play he didn't really need to make, the outcome is the outcome. I don't really care what the league says, they lost a lot of credibility with the Weber hit in the playoffs.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I think he should get at least one game. Was reckless, not sure how anyone can say it wasn't.
-He has no history with suspensions/fines; he's not a repeat offender. This is always a factor when deciding on suspensions.

-It was a hockey play, Hansen was going for the puck above him and Hossa. Just look at how he is positioned and where his head is looking, it's up at the puck.

Maybe he gets a game for the result - Hossa being injured - but it wasn't the intent or history as a player that will be the reason. It's pretty common for reckless plays to not be punished anyways.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I can see the homer idea of it being either a complete accident or a malicious headhunt, to me it falls in the Carcillo category of going a bit too hard on a play and then causing injury. Not saying Hansen has Carcillo's reputation, just trying to say he likely made a very hard play he didn't really need to make, the outcome is the outcome. I don't really care what the league says, they lost a lot of credibility with the Weber hit in the playoffs.
I see two set of rules from the league. One for the grinders and one for the Stars. Weber gets off because of that. I'm hoping that Hansen doesn't get penalized because he's one of the grinders and Hossa is a star. But it's hard to predict.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Eastside

Times like these I always wish we could view an alternate universe where that was say Shaw on Hamhuis (or another guy with a past concussion). We're all biased, some more than others, and it really makes it hard to argue the point. Add in the fact that you have neutral fans weighing in on both sides, and somehow I doubt a conclusion will ever be reached.

I don't want to revisit last night's terrible thread too much, but it seemed to me like a lot of Hawks and Bruins fans were showing a couple dirty plays by Hansen in an effort to prove his intent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NHL doesn't possibly determine intent based on hits from nearly two years ago. Don't they just look at the play to determine whether there was intent? I understand the repeat offender rule and how it escalates suspensions, but it can't make an accidental play intentional. (Assuming Shanny thinks it was intentional).

Old
02-20-2013, 03:44 PM
99 steps
to the top

I think 2-3 games is sufficient, but I don't know how you can look at the video and claim that wasn't intentional. You don't try to knock pucks out of the air with your elbow/forearm.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
by that logic, anyone reaching for the puck in the air is conducting a reckless play.

lets penalize players reaching for pucks in the air because someone might get hurt.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
by that logic, anyone reaching for the puck in the air is conducting a reckless play.

lets penalize players reaching for pucks in the air because someone might get hurt.
I'm fine with penalizing any player reaching for a puck with their elbow about 3 feet away from the puck. Then suspend any player who's flagrant elbow hits someone in the head.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I'm fine with penalizing any player reaching for a puck with their elbow about 3 feet away from the puck. Then suspend any player who's flagrant elbow hits someone in the head.
3 feet? Well I'm glad at least one of us brought our measuring tape to the game

Old
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
3 feet? Well I'm glad at least one of us brought our measuring tape to the game
I'm an engineer and I play hockey, I know what 3 feet looks like.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Icebreakers

lol @ repeat offender.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

Old
02-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
well that settles it, we must be done here

Old
02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Auger

Quote:
You don't even believe this, you're just speaking out of your ass. By that logic Chara should have been suspended for10 games for an actually malicious play that resulted in someone breaking his neck.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Regal

To the people questioning why his elbow would be out, I wonder of you've ever caught something in your life. It was a fluttering puck. Have someone lob something at you and see how your arm is cocked in anticipation. It would be ridiculous to suspend someone for a play reminiscent of two elementary school kids playing "jackpot" on a playground

Old
02-20-2013, 05:25 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
You don't even believe this, you're just speaking out of your ass. By that logic Chara should have been suspended for10 games for an actually malicious play that resulted in someone breaking his neck.
Actually yes, I do believe he should miss one game. 1 game lol. Chara never elbowed anyone in the back of the head. Lol malicious? Nope, interference play, happens all the time. He served his penalty. Chara never placed the stanchion there. 10 games

Let me guess, you were one of the peeps tying up the phone lines. About the worst comparison ever.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
vanwest

Quote:
What does driving a train have to do with knowing about distance.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Can someone please answer why Hansen is catching the puck with his left hand? Why in the world would would someone with thousands of hours of being schooled in hockey fundamentals all the sudden decide to do the exact opposite of how everyone plays the game?
Hockey players are athletic enough to use both hands...

post of the year

Old
02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
"Repeat Offender" does not mean Hawks and Oiler fans have posted YouTube videos about him on HF...

Hansen is not a dirty player, plays on the edge. This is only an issue because Hossa has scrambled eggs for brains now. That kind of contact wouldn't have bothered someone with a healthy brain.

0 games. Shouldn't even have been reviewed.
+1

Some of the narratives being spewed out by certain Hawks fans just have me laughing.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
davebenj

It honestly looked accidental to me and he was just trying to follow through on the play and Hossa really has gotten hurt a lot since joining Chicago (though I would imagine others would be hurt by an elbow also). That said, Hansen getting 2 games didn't really surprise me too much since a lot of people on here and seemingly the league disagree with me and I can see why people might think otherwise.

Last edited by davebenj: 02-20-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Closed Thread