HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How many games for Hansen elbow on Hossa?

View Poll Results: How many games does Hansen get suspended?
0 games 85 49.42%
1-2 games 55 31.98%
3-4 games 19 11.05%
5-6 games 7 4.07%
7-8 games 2 1.16%
9 games 4 2.33%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
  #101
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Not a good analogy. Players all of the time go for loose pucks. There are probably over 20 examples in last night's game alone. Heck, sometimes they even do so awkwardly.
Yep, and if you dove for a puck being dumped in and missed it, you'd be out of position; the reward doesn't outweigh the risk involved. That analogy was awful.

Co Ho* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
  #102
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Not a good analogy. Players all of the time go for loose pucks. There are probably over 20 examples in last night's game alone. Heck, sometimes they even do so awkwardly.
I think I can't define the borders between giving effort, being reckless, and being malicious. It just appears to be questionable to do what he did with Hossa right in front of him.

It's not fair to boil it down to just reaching for the puck if someone's head happens to be in the way of that puck.

deytookerjaabs is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
  #103
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BrockH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I'm saying, the play is so awkward it appears like the type of thing someone would do only in desperation, you can't admit that? I mean, goals are occasionally scored from center ice but no one dives to block a dump in, therefore, they aren't giving 100% effort.
Fair argument, even if I don't agree with the point. It looked awkward in execution, but at game speed making the split second decision as to whether to make the attempt, I think it's a much closer call than something like say, diving to block a dump in. Also, plays should be evaluated based on risk vs reward, not likelihood of success. There is minimal chance of a 'reward' out of blocking a dump-in, and a higher degree of risk (you're out of position if they get the dump-in in, plus you could be injured blocking it). There's little risk to Hansen or the Canucks though when he takes a long shot chance to retrieve a puck before Hossa can, even if it is a very low percentage and awkward looking play.

Edit: I'm not saying you overlook the risk to Hossa. I do think that you were making an argument that the low success probability and awkwardness of the attempt indicated intent though, and I disagree with that argument.

BrockH is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
  #104
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I think I can't define the borders between giving effort, being reckless, and being malicious. It just appears to be questionable to do what he did with Hossa right in front of him.

It's not fair to boil it down to just reaching for the puck if someone's head happens to be in the way of that puck.
Fair enough. I suspect from reading your posts on the issue on the Hawks Board that you might have a different view if it was a Hawk giving the extra effort. But I acknowledge it's hard to be objective when another team is involved.

vanwest is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
  #105
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1440 View Post
Having watched Hansen play just about every game of his NHL career, I wouldn't say he is or ever has been a dirty player.

He:
A. Is a hard forechecker.
B. Has awkward limb motions and a bouncy arms swinging type of stride due to formidable lower body strength. (If you have ever played soccer or ball hockey with these type of people you know often you can get unintentionally elbowed)
C. Tends to be a bit of a slow decision maker (compared to leg speed).
D. Tends to have much slower hand speed than foot speed.
F. Despite all this he is more of a skill player than a gritty player.

Based on all of this, I think that suggesting premeditation or vindictiveness is wholly out of left field.

Hansen makes plays at least once a game where his legs get him somewhere and his hands let him down. (Canucks fans can attest to this)

I am quite convinced this is one of these times. Hansen seems to have just powered his way towards the pop fly; but missed the catch because he is kind of clumsy.

That being said, clumsiness resulting in injury can still be penalized.

Do I think that in this case the 2 minute minor was deserved?
Yes, because Hossa got the puck first.

Does it merit a suspension?
I could see arguments for 0-1 games based on whether Shanahan decides that Hansen should have been able to 'pull up' or not despite the lack of intent.
You've watched "just about every game" he's played, but you failed to catch game 7 of the finals? Interesting.

ryedog* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
  #106
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
I think he should get at least one game. Was reckless, not sure how anyone can say it wasn't.

ryedog* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  #107
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Fair enough. I suspect from reading your posts on the issue on the Hawks Board that you might have a different view if it was a Hawk giving the extra effort. But I acknowledge it's hard to be objective when another team is involved.
I can see the homer idea of it being either a complete accident or a malicious headhunt, to me it falls in the Carcillo category of going a bit too hard on a play and then causing injury. Not saying Hansen has Carcillo's reputation, just trying to say he likely made a very hard play he didn't really need to make, the outcome is the outcome. I don't really care what the league says, they lost a lot of credibility with the Weber hit in the playoffs.

deytookerjaabs is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
  #108
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I think he should get at least one game. Was reckless, not sure how anyone can say it wasn't.
-He has no history with suspensions/fines; he's not a repeat offender. This is always a factor when deciding on suspensions.

-It was a hockey play, Hansen was going for the puck above him and Hossa. Just look at how he is positioned and where his head is looking, it's up at the puck.


Maybe he gets a game for the result - Hossa being injured - but it wasn't the intent or history as a player that will be the reason. It's pretty common for reckless plays to not be punished anyways.

Co Ho* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
  #109
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I can see the homer idea of it being either a complete accident or a malicious headhunt, to me it falls in the Carcillo category of going a bit too hard on a play and then causing injury. Not saying Hansen has Carcillo's reputation, just trying to say he likely made a very hard play he didn't really need to make, the outcome is the outcome. I don't really care what the league says, they lost a lot of credibility with the Weber hit in the playoffs.
I see two set of rules from the league. One for the grinders and one for the Stars. Weber gets off because of that. I'm hoping that Hansen doesn't get penalized because he's one of the grinders and Hossa is a star. But it's hard to predict.

vanwest is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
  #110
Eastside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Times like these I always wish we could view an alternate universe where that was say Shaw on Hamhuis (or another guy with a past concussion). We're all biased, some more than others, and it really makes it hard to argue the point. Add in the fact that you have neutral fans weighing in on both sides, and somehow I doubt a conclusion will ever be reached.

I don't want to revisit last night's terrible thread too much, but it seemed to me like a lot of Hawks and Bruins fans were showing a couple dirty plays by Hansen in an effort to prove his intent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NHL doesn't possibly determine intent based on hits from nearly two years ago. Don't they just look at the play to determine whether there was intent? I understand the repeat offender rule and how it escalates suspensions, but it can't make an accidental play intentional. (Assuming Shanny thinks it was intentional).

Eastside is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:44 PM
  #111
99 steps
to the top
 
99 steps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: RV, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
I think 2-3 games is sufficient, but I don't know how you can look at the video and claim that wasn't intentional. You don't try to knock pucks out of the air with your elbow/forearm.

99 steps is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
  #112
kammyBlazer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I think he should get at least one game. Was reckless, not sure how anyone can say it wasn't.
by that logic, anyone reaching for the puck in the air is conducting a reckless play.

lets penalize players reaching for pucks in the air because someone might get hurt.

kammyBlazer* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
  #113
salty justice
Registered User
 
salty justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Albania
Posts: 7,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
by that logic, anyone reaching for the puck in the air is conducting a reckless play.

lets penalize players reaching for pucks in the air because someone might get hurt.
I'm fine with penalizing any player reaching for a puck with their elbow about 3 feet away from the puck. Then suspend any player who's flagrant elbow hits someone in the head.

salty justice is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
  #114
kammyBlazer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I'm fine with penalizing any player reaching for a puck with their elbow about 3 feet away from the puck. Then suspend any player who's flagrant elbow hits someone in the head.
3 feet? Well I'm glad at least one of us brought our measuring tape to the game

kammyBlazer* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
  #115
salty justice
Registered User
 
salty justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Albania
Posts: 7,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
3 feet? Well I'm glad at least one of us brought our measuring tape to the game
I'm an engineer and I play hockey, I know what 3 feet looks like.

salty justice is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
  #116
Icebreakers
Registered User
 
Icebreakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
lol @ repeat offender.

Icebreakers is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:13 PM
  #117
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I'm an engineer and I play hockey, I know what 3 feet looks like.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:13 PM
  #118
Linden*
[hello] :)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 49,472
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I'm an engineer and I play hockey, I know what 3 feet looks like.
well that settles it, we must be done here

Linden* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
  #119
Auger
Registered User
 
Auger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I think he should get at least one game. Was reckless, not sure how anyone can say it wasn't.
You don't even believe this, you're just speaking out of your ass. By that logic Chara should have been suspended for10 games for an actually malicious play that resulted in someone breaking his neck.

Auger is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  #120
Regal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
To the people questioning why his elbow would be out, I wonder of you've ever caught something in your life. It was a fluttering puck. Have someone lob something at you and see how your arm is cocked in anticipation. It would be ridiculous to suspend someone for a play reminiscent of two elementary school kids playing "jackpot" on a playground

Regal is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:25 PM
  #121
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
You don't even believe this, you're just speaking out of your ass. By that logic Chara should have been suspended for10 games for an actually malicious play that resulted in someone breaking his neck.
Actually yes, I do believe he should miss one game. 1 game lol. Chara never elbowed anyone in the back of the head. Lol malicious? Nope, interference play, happens all the time. He served his penalty. Chara never placed the stanchion there. 10 games

Let me guess, you were one of the peeps tying up the phone lines. About the worst comparison ever.

ryedog* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
  #122
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I'm an engineer and I play hockey, I know what 3 feet looks like.
What does driving a train have to do with knowing about distance.

vanwest is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
  #123
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Can someone please answer why Hansen is catching the puck with his left hand? Why in the world would would someone with thousands of hours of being schooled in hockey fundamentals all the sudden decide to do the exact opposite of how everyone plays the game?
Hockey players are athletic enough to use both hands...

post of the year

DennisReynolds is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
  #124
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
"Repeat Offender" does not mean Hawks and Oiler fans have posted YouTube videos about him on HF...

Hansen is not a dirty player, plays on the edge. This is only an issue because Hossa has scrambled eggs for brains now. That kind of contact wouldn't have bothered someone with a healthy brain.

0 games. Shouldn't even have been reviewed.
+1

Some of the narratives being spewed out by certain Hawks fans just have me laughing.

kmad is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
  #125
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
It honestly looked accidental to me and he was just trying to follow through on the play and Hossa really has gotten hurt a lot since joining Chicago (though I would imagine others would be hurt by an elbow also). That said, Hansen getting 2 games didn't really surprise me too much since a lot of people on here and seemingly the league disagree with me and I can see why people might think otherwise.


Last edited by davebenj: 02-20-2013 at 06:15 PM.
davebenj is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.