Notices

Ducks sign Fasth to Two-Year Extension

Old
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemooseduck View Post
Different situation. We had time to gradually replace vets over several seasons (only partially succeding) and now we're hurting (being hot right now, but that won't last).

We could be in for a lot more hurt next season, unless Murray shows some magic.
How are we hurting? Even if we completely fell apart this year, we've got the pieces of a rebuild already.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
One bad signing I think BM made was the Mark Bell signing. Anyone remember that experiment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
If Mark Bell on a one year contract for under 600K is the worst thing your GM does then hes doing a pretty ****ing good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Agree I really can't find anything bad that BM has done. He's been great in my eyes. Especially the drafting classs he's put together. Reaquired Beuch keeps Selanne on one year contracts like he asks for. I'm prolly alone on this but I'm a fan.
Ummm... What do you agree about? He clearly opposes your sentiments.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
How are we hurting?
Are you kidding me? We're missing two top 6 players as of now. None of the youngsters is ready yet to permanently fill these roles.

goosemooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Ah c'mon, even the worst GM in NHL could get decent assets in exchange for Pronger.
See both Selanne trades.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Are you kidding me? We're missing two top 6 players as of now. None of the youngsters is ready yet to permanently fill these roles.
Goal post shifting.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
They add up when you take on contracts like Blake's, that were signed after one good season and were on the decline when we got them. This is not that type of contract. It's been done because they obviously aren't sure Hiller is his old self and don't want to let a potential gem of a goaltender leave. What move would you have made instead?
Where did I say I would have made a different move? I specifically said I like this deal, as long as it's not some precursor to a Hiller trade.

No, it's not just with contracts like Blake. It's with any contract where you end up overpaying for a player. Let me reitterate, I have zero problem with this signing, but it is a risk. You think we can just afford to waste a couple of million with no consideration? A team that won't spend to the cap? Yeah, I don't think so. One of the things Murray has been trying to do, since taking over, is to specifically put Anaheim into a better salary situation.

Do I think it's worth the risk? You bet. That doesn't mean there is no risk.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
There's a lot of hindsight going on there. You're looking at that deal knowing what you do now. It turned out to be a mistake, one he rectified, but it's not like it was obvious that Beauchemin was going to okay going forward.

I find it a bit odd that people are defending Burke's decision move Andy based on that slice of a season and torching Bob for doing the same with Beauch. These aren't easy decisions to make. Both of them were equally wrong.
My biggest issue with the Beauchemin situation isn't that Murray let him walk. It's that, according to Beauchemin, there wasn't any negotiation at all.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I thought this was about Anaheim's future. That future looks pretty bright.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Reacquiring beauch for one. That was a bad move when he could've just re-signed.
Getting Whitney in the first place and giving up the perfect LW for G/P. Although we did get one really good season out of Vis.

Signing eminger/boynton/foster some other pylon UFA d-men. Godawful.

The biggest one is honestly taking forever to fill that 2C spot. TAKING FOREVERRRRR and to this day we still havne't done that yet
1 and 3 I count as one fault, because he signed a bunch of fringe 3rd pairing guys and between them and Sbisa, he expected one to fill a Top 4 role, which is why we missed the playoffs in 09-10. BM penciled in originally Sbisa for a Top 4 role, and signed the guys you mentioned as backup, when none were proven Top 4 guys. That is the one mistake I will really hold him to. Resigning Beauch would have solved that, and it cost him and the team for not doing so by missing the playoffs and it cost us Gardiner.

#2C spot, Murray found a great stopgap in Koivu who for all the criticisms he got, produced at the rate of a #2 center. Ill agree he failed to fill that void long term though and still hasnt.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Where did I say I would have made a different move? I specifically said I like this deal, as long as it's not some precursor to a Hiller trade.

No, it's not just with contracts like Blake. It's with any contract where you end up overpaying for a player. Let me reitterate, I have zero problem with this signing, but it is a risk. You think we can just afford to waste a couple of million with no consideration? A team that won't spend to the cap? Yeah, I don't think so. One of the things Murray has been trying to do, since taking over, is to specifically put Anaheim into a better salary situation.

Do I think it's worth the risk? You bet. That doesn't mean there is no risk.
By that logic every contract has risk. You could always overpay for a player. They can always start to suck out of nowhere after signing a contract. So I'm not seeing your point here.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
By that logic every contract has risk. You could always overpay for a player. They can always start to suck out of nowhere after signing a contract. So I'm not seeing your point here.
Yes, every contract does have some risk associated with it. You don't think, say, Fowler's contract could turn ugly if he returned and was never the same player? Or if Souray's three year contract turns into a constant trip to injured reserve? The difference is that you usually have a better idea of where a player stands amongst his peers, because you have a larger body of work. This is simply not the case with Fasth. I agree with Viper that it isn't fair to say he only has 8 games of experience, because he has plenty of professional experience, but in the context of how he will do in the NHL, what kind of longevity he will have, and whether teams will be able to figure him out... guess what? The 8 game sample size is pretty significant.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
My biggest issue with the Beauchemin situation isn't that Murray let him walk. It's that, according to Beauchemin, there wasn't any negotiation at all.
I don't think it was so much a matter of price as it was doubts about his future. It wound up being the wrong assessment, but it's not like GMs have some special crystal ball that tells them if that everything will be okay. I think fans forget sometimes that jobs are on the line with every one of those calls. It's easy for us to make those calls from the armchair when you aren't the one that'll be heading to unemployment line if we're wrong.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

While it might have been nice to wait a tad longer before making this commitment, I think this could be a very shrewd move. I think as a side benefit it could help make a bit of financial room for signing Perry and Getz.

This year our 3 goalies under contract will cost us $6M. If Hiller is traded in the off season and we go with a cheap backup (Andersen, Bobkov, or a ufa) we will be looking at appx $3M for 2 goalies next year and $4M the year after. Saving an extra 2-3M per year is not insignificant to an internal budget team. I'd like to think we may be closer to signing Getz and Perry than we may realize and this signing helped facilitate that. Oh, and getting anything for Hiller in the off season could just be an added bonus.

Ultimately, this could be a really sweet deal with minimal risk involved.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
See both Selanne trades.
First trade wasn't that bad. Second one though, was pretty awful one. Gauthier should be fired on spot right then and there. Not sure how he survived one more year.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I don't think it was so much a matter of price as it was doubts about his future. It wound up being the wrong assessment, but it's not like GMs have some special crystal ball that tells them if that everything will be okay. I think fans forget sometimes that jobs are on the line with every one of those calls. It's easy for us to make those calls from the armchair when you aren't the one that'll be heading to unemployment line if we're wrong.
Oh, I agree. It's easy to be critical in hindsight.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Goal post shifting.
It isn't. We can't plug holes now, what makes you think we can do that next few seasons without actually acquiring some top players?
Our prospect pool is sort of overrated really.

As long as Murray is happy about his penny pinching moves, and Samuelis are happy with Murray, Ducks won't be a contender.

Fringe playoff team at the most.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:09 PM
caliamad

well all i know is murray was idiot for giving souray that contract... oh wait...

My one criticism of Murray is the bargain basement signings. He struck gold w/ Beach but all those Eminger type deals held us back for a long time.

You have to admit he's done an amazing job this year. We have amazing depth at every position.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Exit Dose

Penny pinching? Do I need to remind you what thread you're posting in? Or that we committed a hefty chunk of money to free agents last summer(including the one we just extended, today)?

Old
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
well all i know is murray was idiot for giving souray that contract... oh wait...

My one criticism of Murray is the bargain basement signings. He struck gold w/ Beach but all those Eminger type deals held us back for a long time.

You have to admit he's done an amazing job this year. We have amazing depth at every position.
Really? Are you forgetting what the complaints were regarding said contract? It was the term.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Penny pinching? Do I need to remind you what thread you're posting in? Or that we committed a hefty chunk of money to free agents last summer(including the one we just extended, today)?
What he did this off-season is more of an exception rather than rule. And we will have to wait for a while to see if we actually get something of value out of it.

Fasth deal might prove to be good move though if it opens the door to re-signing of Getz and Perry.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

The Fasth deal could prove to be a good move regardless of Getzlaf and Perry.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
What he did this off-season is more of an exception rather than rule. And we will have to wait for a while to see if we actually get something of value out of it.

Fasth deal might prove to be good move though if it opens the door to re-signing of Getz and Perry.
Again, you are shifting the goal posts. First it was from the future to the present. Now, it's from not spending to whether the payoff for that spending works out. We didn't chase after the big ticket items, but seeing the latest CBA and the drama going on now in Vancouver, I'd say that it was pretty smart to steer clear of those guys, if we ever had a chance at landing them in the first place.

Last edited by Exit Dose: 02-20-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
The Fasth deal could prove to be a good move regardless of Getzlaf and Perry.
True, no risk no profit. This one is one of those worth taking the risk, because odds are pretty good.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
Yes, every contract does have some risk associated with it. You don't think, say, Fowler's contract could turn ugly if he returned and was never the same player? Or if Souray's three year contract turns into a constant trip to injured reserve? The difference is that you usually have a better idea of where a player stands amongst his peers, because you have a larger body of work. This is simply not the case with Fasth. I agree with Viper that it isn't fair to say he only has 8 games of experience, because he has plenty of professional experience, but in the context of how he will do in the NHL, what kind of longevity he will have, and whether teams will be able to figure him out... guess what? The 8 game sample size is pretty significant.
No, it's not for two reasons:

1. It's less than 3 mil average for 2 years
2. Our team isn't up against the cap

And before you throw around the "internal budget" line, don't bother. That is a classic way owners dance around having to justify spending to fans. Unless you have some secret knowledge of that number, don't bother. The Angels had an internal budget during Torii Hunter's last year and look what happened. Same thing.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:51 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Reacquiring beauch for one. That was a bad move when he could've just re-signed.
Getting Whitney in the first place and giving up the perfect LW for G/P. Although we did get one really good season out of Vis.

Signing eminger/boynton/foster some other pylon UFA d-men. Godawful.

The biggest one is honestly taking forever to fill that 2C spot. TAKING FOREVERRRRR and to this day we still havne't done that yet
The Whitney trade was close to getting us a 2nd chance at a cup, Anaheim was a bounce short against Detroit that year and would have gone to the finals most likely. our defense for that playoff run was ridiculously good, i don't know how you guys can label turning kunitz and a bust for a shot at a cup, and then turning Whitney into Lubo is some sort of black mark

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote