HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL players comparison

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
andora

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Dustin Brown = less gritty Adam Deadmarsh
sounds like the kings have the rights to my future very favorite player in the world

deadmarsh .. get well

Old
03-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Colt.45Orr

The enforcers are interesting.... as alot of the topAHL guys could stone-cold drop alot of the top NHL fighters. Their skill level is not as high... but I would put my money on the top10 AHL guys vs. the top10 NHL guys....

I'd go with Cammalleri Kariya...

I guess I don't really see the point of this thread now that I think about it cause the topAHL players would be in the NHL this year...

...it would make more sense to ask this question of Juniour players... ie -is Perry the Lemieux of the OHL etc...

Last edited by Colt.45Orr: 03-25-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Old
03-26-2005, 12:17 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Matthew Stajan - Poor man's Ron Francis
dirt poor

Old
03-26-2005, 12:27 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
How about the big 4 from Providence:

Patrice Bergeron
Brad Boyes
Andrew Hilbert
Hannu Toivonen
Bergeron is...himself
Boyes is a poor oates, but better skater and defensively strong, but weaker offensively
Hilbert...err he's a center that shoots a lot, a poorman's naslund at center? err this one is hard to do
toivenen...he's himself. He's a strong butterfly goaltender, who has incredible reflexes, but gives up bad rebounds sometimes.

All of the big 4 from providence, to me are themselves.

The best providence player who can be compared to a current NHLer is milan jurcina, who i think draws hal gill comparisons. Except he's a better skater and is a tad more agressive.

Old
03-26-2005, 12:37 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
hmmm...that sounds like a very large part of the game.

you are nitpicking really. If you watch them play the similarities are unmistakable, its almost irrelevent that he's not the scorer Lemieux was, nobody else has ever been either. (The Great One aside)

I think you will be surprised with Spezza's speed, he has the classic bigman top end stride, speed and reach with the vision to use it all.
That having been said this is also somewhat irrelevant as the point is not that he is a Lemieux doppelganger, but that he plays like him, moves like him, is able to see the ice in a similar uncanny manner.
Its not any one thing, its everything.

It doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons, i agree.

I think to say however that Gagne's 6th sense around the net is "vastly underrated"
might be a little over the top.
He gets the respect he deserves in that department, for him to be vastly underrated he'd need 40 goals a year at his current press level....and yes, that figure is precise.

1999-2000 Flyers 80 20 28 48
2000-2001 Flyers 69 27 32 59
2001-2002 Flyers 79 33 33 66
2002-2003 Flyers 46 9 18 27
2003-2004 Flyers 80 24 21 45

NHL Totals 354 113 132 245
Ok, well i've seen spezza play a few times, but i just don't feel he is very lemieux esque.

Yes both lemieux and spezza are incredible play makers, but even with that i dont' feel they're too similar.

I'm seeing your point, and i guess i agree to the point that they are similar in their playmaking finesse ability, but i don't feel lemieux is the most accurate projection, because jason allison plus better skating seems much more accurate to me. I mean lemieux's goalscoring was such a big part of his game. Goalies never liked lemieux with the puck because they knew if lemieux wanted to he could score on you, or he could make you look stupid with a pass. Spezza can score, but not even a tenth of the degree of lemieux, so his game isn't nearly as dangerous, but i don't want to discount spezza's offensive capabilities.

I disagree with spezza's skating comment as well. I mean he DOES have that typical long man's stride, and he looks good handling the puck and skating at the same time, but his skating isn't really on par at all with some of the best skaters in the AHL.

Ok well i've followed gagne his whole career and seen almost every game he's ever played with the flyers. When i talk to people about gagne they always bring up his speed and shot and those pretty goals he scores, but what they don't realize is that gagne actually scores quite a few goals around the net. Thats why i feel his abilty around the net is very underrated. His defensive skills are also quite underrated.

Also Gagne's first year he was great, the next 2 were outstanding as well. That 33 goal year was incredible. Roenick and Gagne toegether was freaking incredible. A line that could light you up with ease and play defense. That was a great year. But the next year....god those groin injuries really made his numbers look like crap. That is just a year that is bad to look at, however that last stretch of the season he teamed up with JR and amonte and was great showing he still had the offensive skills, the playoffs were somewhat of a lost cause for him though. This past year he was better than numbers indicate as well, He never really found his offensive groove. He started off the year a lost guy on the ice. Skating around trying to find his place and score but didn't find a linemate to gel with. Eventually towards the end of the season, while he still wasn't the scorer he is capable of he found a new ability in playing defense which carried through for his role to the playoffs. Gagne to me is a 30 goal guy perfectly capable of playing fine defense now. I think he may even have 40 goal potential if JR can remain healthy and be the player he was a few years ago.

Old
03-27-2005, 10:25 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Ok, well i've seen spezza play a few times, but i just don't feel he is very lemieux esque.

Yes both lemieux and spezza are incredible play makers, but even with that i dont' feel they're too similar.

I'm seeing your point, and i guess i agree to the point that they are similar in their playmaking finesse ability, but i don't feel lemieux is the most accurate projection, because jason allison plus better skating seems much more accurate to me. I mean lemieux's goalscoring was such a big part of his game. Goalies never liked lemieux with the puck because they knew if lemieux wanted to he could score on you, or he could make you look stupid with a pass. Spezza can score, but not even a tenth of the degree of lemieux, so his game isn't nearly as dangerous, but i don't want to discount spezza's offensive capabilities.

I disagree with spezza's skating comment as well. I mean he DOES have that typical long man's stride, and he looks good handling the puck and skating at the same time, but his skating isn't really on par at all with some of the best skaters in the AHL.

Ok well i've followed gagne his whole career and seen almost every game he's ever played with the flyers. When i talk to people about gagne they always bring up his speed and shot and those pretty goals he scores, but what they don't realize is that gagne actually scores quite a few goals around the net. Thats why i feel his abilty around the net is very underrated. His defensive skills are also quite underrated.

Also Gagne's first year he was great, the next 2 were outstanding as well. That 33 goal year was incredible. Roenick and Gagne toegether was freaking incredible. A line that could light you up with ease and play defense. That was a great year. But the next year....god those groin injuries really made his numbers look like crap. That is just a year that is bad to look at, however that last stretch of the season he teamed up with JR and amonte and was great showing he still had the offensive skills, the playoffs were somewhat of a lost cause for him though. This past year he was better than numbers indicate as well, He never really found his offensive groove. He started off the year a lost guy on the ice. Skating around trying to find his place and score but didn't find a linemate to gel with. Eventually towards the end of the season, while he still wasn't the scorer he is capable of he found a new ability in playing defense which carried through for his role to the playoffs. Gagne to me is a 30 goal guy perfectly capable of playing fine defense now. I think he may even have 40 goal potential if JR can remain healthy and be the player he was a few years ago.

Being a huge Flyers fan, I can tell you that from my stand point, Gagne has been a disappointment in Hitchcock's system. It's clear that as long as Hitch is the coach, we can't expect anything from Gaqne other than great defensive play. Whoopty do. Gagne is supposed to be an offensively talented player and the 33 goals he scored in his third season justify that.

Sometimes, it's like Gagne just goes through the motions. Clarke publicly challenged Gagne to step it up during the playoffs and Gagne seemed to respond. The problem in Philadelphia is two fold. First, as long as Hitch is the coach, everyone is expected to be like Jere Lehtinen and be defensive stoppers. Gagne's talent is being wasted on back checking rather than scoring goals. That is a fact. The second problem is that Gagne seems content being a 2 million dollar checker. If I were Gagne, I'd be pissed and doing everything possible to getting back to the first line.

Hitch has been over reliant on veterans who are passed their prime and not allowing the young players to break through. What worries me is what kind of effect is Hitch gonna have on players like Carter, Richards, Ruzicka, Potulny, Umberger, etc....all of out offensively talented young guns. It's clear that something needs to change in Philadelphia. What I'd give to have Marc Crawford come in and coach this team......

Old
03-27-2005, 10:36 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Kevin Bieksa - poor man's Chris Chelios

Ryan Kesler - Jeff Halpern/John Madden cross.

Old
03-27-2005, 10:47 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Ryan Kesler - Jeff Halpern/John Madden cross.
Really? I've always thought of Ryan Kesler as a larger version of Mark Recchi. More defense, less offense. If his offensive game ever catches up with his defensive game, he could truly be a scary player. Is Kesler playing the wing or he is centering in Manitoba? If he's centering, I'd love to see what he could do with Bertuzzi/Naslund on his wings.

Old
03-27-2005, 11:06 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Being a huge Flyers fan, I can tell you that from my stand point, Gagne has been a disappointment in Hitchcock's system. It's clear that as long as Hitch is the coach, we can't expect anything from Gaqne other than great defensive play. Whoopty do. Gagne is supposed to be an offensively talented player and the 33 goals he scored in his third season justify that.

Sometimes, it's like Gagne just goes through the motions. Clarke publicly challenged Gagne to step it up during the playoffs and Gagne seemed to respond. The problem in Philadelphia is two fold. First, as long as Hitch is the coach, everyone is expected to be like Jere Lehtinen and be defensive stoppers. Gagne's talent is being wasted on back checking rather than scoring goals. That is a fact. The second problem is that Gagne seems content being a 2 million dollar checker. If I were Gagne, I'd be pissed and doing everything possible to getting back to the first line.

Hitch has been over reliant on veterans who are passed their prime and not allowing the young players to break through. What worries me is what kind of effect is Hitch gonna have on players like Carter, Richards, Ruzicka, Potulny, Umberger, etc....all of out offensively talented young guns. It's clear that something needs to change in Philadelphia. What I'd give to have Marc Crawford come in and coach this team......
I agree with everything you said. I use to be a flyers fan and i see their games due to where i live.

I mean, i'm leniant on gagne i guess, cause well...i like him. Personally i think this is just a rough development pot for gagne. I think in a year or two he'll have hitch's trust and we'll see some big goal seasons...

Hitch said this year he was going to give more of a chance to youngsters and to an extent he did(not really but more than usual), but in the playoffs it all fell back. Hitch is really paranoid, i love the guy, but come on!

Old
03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
leafaholix*

Ryan Kesler - Keith Primeau in the later stages of his career.

Old
03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Dom Moore - Wes Walz
Josef Balej - Martin Havlat
Bryce Lampman - Richard Matvichuk
Lawrence Nycholat - Andrew Ference
Martin Grenier - Eric Cairns
Jake Taylor - Colin White
David Liffiton - Cory Sarich
Garth Murray - Jason Wiemer
Jed Ortmeyer - Claude Lapointe
Ryan Hollweg - Sean Avery
Lee Falardeau - Chris Gratton
Chad Wiseman - Jaroslav Svoboda

Brandon Dubinsky - Darcy Tucker
Ryan Callahan - Mark Parrish
Nigel Dawes - Martin St Louis
Nate Guenin - Jay McKee
Huge Jessiman - Mark Bell
Lauri Korpikoski - Jere Leheten
Rick Kozak - Aaron Downey
Joey Crabb - Kirk Maltby
Marcus Jonasen - Tomas Holmstrom

Old
04-01-2005, 12:43 AM
bruins4777*

I don't think dawes is much like st. louis. Dawes crashes the net a lot doesn't he? St.louis scores a load of goals off the rush.

I think moore is draper/walz fusion.

I think nycholat is kind of a really poor lidstrom? I mean not really, but the way he plays is finesse and he uses a wrist shot a lot and his game is a lot of puckhandling. Its no where near lidstrom and he'll never reach lidstrom's hockey sense, but he is similar in playing style kind of.

Old
04-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
The enforcers are interesting.... as alot of the topAHL guys could stone-cold drop alot of the top NHL fighters. Their skill level is not as high... but I would put my money on the top10 AHL guys vs. the top10 NHL guys....
Really? I'd bet on the NHL guys for sure. Especially if its NHL #1 vs. AHL #1, NHL #2 vs. AHL #2.

Old
04-01-2005, 03:51 AM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Ciccarelli

Is Cammalleri that gritty/ dirty? I've seen him play a few times and he didn't seem to have that innate mean spirit that Dino did, but like I said, I've only seen him play a few times.

Old
04-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Ryan Kesler - Keith Primeau in the later stages of his career.
I've never really understood this comparison. Kesler doesn't nearly have Primeau's size and that's a big part of Keith's game. Kesler is only 6'2 and hasn't even broken 200lbs yet, whereas Primeau is 6'5 220lbs+ (and no matter what kind of growth spurt we're talking, at 20 years of age you don't usually add 3 inches and 30+ pounds). The only thing I see moderately similar about their games at this stage is that they are both solid defensively, but their styles aren't that similar imo.

Quote:
Kevin Bieksa - poor man's Chris Chelios
This one is straight out of Nonis' mouth, but I have yet to really see Bieska play so that is all I have to go on.

Old
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1260
How about these 2 Bulldogs

Chris Higgins
Yann Danis

Old
04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Poochie_D

By the way Higgins dangles the puck and stickhandles... he seems like a cross breed of Sergei Samsonov and Mark Reechi...

Closed Thread