HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michel Therrien II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2013, 09:54 PM
  #251
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No worries. I am used to that in Montreal.

Things will ALWAYS be better a couple of years from now. Not this season and not next season, but we will be ready in two years.
It will never get better... the habs are handicapped because the primary concern is having a 'marketable' product. This leads to not hiring the best available talent for the job, which inevitably leads to an inferior on ice product compared to other markets.

That is the tragedy of being a modern day hab fan.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:55 PM
  #252
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
I thought you already had the clown?

True. And four blind zebras as well.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:57 PM
  #253
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
True. And four blind zebras as well.
Lol, great sense of humor.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
  #254
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No worries. I am used to that in Montreal.

Things will ALWAYS be better a couple of years from now. Not this season and not next season, but we will be ready in two years.
Oh, I did not even say that. I do not know where we will be in two years. We may bottom out again. No one knows. But if you wonder why I put up with it, why I am not firing the coach or bringing in the players you would like.....well it's because I am not the GM. That is reality. There are 30 teams in the league. And I can't control any one of them.

I just do not think it is likely that the Habs will fire yet another coach this early. I am not even defending Therrien, nor am I slamming him. Right now the team is seemingly on target. I do not know if it is. But as long as there is improvement over last year, it will not happen.


Last edited by andy28: 05-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:02 PM
  #255
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,120
vCash: 500
Desharnais 17:00
Galchenyuk 10:00

Just for that he should be fired.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
  #256
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Desharnais 17:00
Galchenyuk 10:00

Just for that he should be fired.


Sad thing is, you're right.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
  #257
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Desharnais 17:00
Galchenyuk 10:00

Just for that he should be fired.
That's just pathetic.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
  #258
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Oh, I did not even say that. I do not know where we will be in two years. We may bottom out again. No one knows. But if you wonder why I put up with it, why I am not firing the coach or bringing in the players you would like.....well it's because I am not the GM. That is reality. There are 30 teams in the league. And I can't control any one of them.
My apologies to you if I offended you.

I have been a Habs fan for a long time. I have seen several Cups won by my Habs.

And then I have lived through the 20 year drought with incompetent management and incompetent coaches.

There are always people who come out and say that things are looking up as we see differently. And the prevailing theme for those two decades is that "We should be great in two years because........(fill in whatever)"

I guess I am jaded with what the Habs management is feeding me.

Again, my apologies if I offended you.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:05 PM
  #259
TYLENOL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.

TYLENOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:07 PM
  #260
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.
A coach that sits on a lead........especially in the playoffs........is a coach who thinks with a loser mentality.

Therrien was playing to not lose instead of playing to win.

No thanks.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:09 PM
  #261
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Guys come on... At least give him a full season before calling for his head.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:09 PM
  #262
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.
Therrien was fired with Crosby, Malkin and Letang on his team. He is a flawed head coach... has a good system but his pee wee mentality and decision making will always make him a loser at the NHL level.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:09 PM
  #263
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.
OBVIOUSLY, I don't want him fired. Just being consequent here. Amongst the small and weak list we had at the beginning of the year, Therrien was #5 on my list. So he wasn't a favorite of mine....surprise me this year but then in these playoffs he made me remind why I didn't like him in the first place. I OBVIOUSLY know we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years until he either becomes better....or keeps doing what he does till he alienates his players once again. First year is often the new coach's best year. Then they get tired of him. So if he's really not a great motivator, if he's not that great of tactician, you KNOW that he's out. And I will believe that's what going to happen.

Thing is, we need to groom a Q coach right now. 'Cause the list amongst francos is think. Boucher will probably have a job in the next 2 years. Vigneault will relocate somewhere else. If Bruins fall this year AND next year, Julien is next....but they will all be gone before we make a move. Which means that our new coach will come from a young guy.....And the only guy I see is Houle in Blainville. But we need to fire Lefebvre though....It's all about thinking in advance. We did that when we drafted Price even if we had Theodore....well we do have to that for coaches as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  #264
wescored
Registered User
 
wescored's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
******!

wescored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  #265
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
What system? Any one care to elaborate on that. I'm actually curious, because I see nothing special on 5 on 5. Our PP is feed sub an, and our PK is IMO the worse ive seen in years. Opinion based purely on observation.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
  #266
Travis Moen
Registered User
 
Travis Moen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
What system? Any one care to elaborate on that. I'm actually curious, because I see nothing special on 5 on 5. Our PP is feed sub an, and our PK is IMO the worse ive seen in years. Opinion based purely on observation.
well you don't finish this high with mediocre players!!

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
  #267
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
OBVIOUSLY, I don't want him fired. Just being consequent here. Amongst the small and weak list we had at the beginning of the year, Therrien was #5 on my list. So he wasn't a favorite of mine....surprise me this year but then in these playoffs he made me remind why I didn't like him in the first place. I OBVIOUSLY know we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years until he either becomes better....or keeps doing what he does till he alienates his players once again. First year is often the new coach's best year. Then they get tired of him. So if he's really not a great motivator, if he's not that great of tactician, you KNOW that he's out. And I will believe that's what going to happen.

Thing is, we need to groom a Q coach right now. 'Cause the list amongst francos is think. Boucher will probably have a job in the next 2 years. Vigneault will relocate somewhere else. If Bruins fall this year AND next year, Julien is next....but they will all be gone before we make a move. Which means that our new coach will come from a young guy.....And the only guy I see is Houle in Blainville. But we need to fire Lefebvre though....It's all about thinking in advance. We did that when we drafted Price even if we had Theodore....well we do have to that for coaches as well.
Great post. But there is one obvious flaw to your strategy.. a limited pool for your choice of coach will greatly lower your chances of getting a top notch talent. Thus is the Habs dilemma and the Habs curse.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
  #268
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
Just a little crazy
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,007
vCash: 133
I don't understand what the **** he was doing taking his foot off the gas in the third and benching Galchenyuk while continuing to put out players who were just coasting and turning the puck over. It doesn't make any ****ing sense.

__________________
He's got the whole world in his hands...
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:19 PM
  #269
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
My apologies to you if I offended you.
.
I am not offended. I am just pointing out what I think is the reality of the situation. It is highly unlikely that he gets canned that quickly. It will take something like a bad stretch next year.

It's been 20 years since 1993. I know this organization has really gone downhill since then. I understand that basically what you are saying is you don't want to be a Leafs fan, being complacent for over 40 years always believing that maybe next year things will be better. All I am saying is, for all the control we have over things, that is really all you can do, is what they do. Hope next year is better. Because we dont run things.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
  #270
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Great post. But there is one obvious flaw to your strategy.. a limited pool for your choice of coach will greatly lower your chances of getting a top notch talent. Thus is the Habs dilemma and the Habs curse.
Sorry, but it will ALWAYS be how it works. Even if I'M a Q biased, I would take a guy like Lindy Ruff tomorrow morning. I would. But this is not what works here as you saw with Cunneyworth. It won't cut it. So since we can't blame the sun for rising, as we can't change that, we won't change that mentality as well. It won't happen.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
  #271
TYLENOL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
A coach that sits on a lead........especially in the playoffs........is a coach who thinks with a loser mentality.

Therrien was playing to not lose instead of playing to win.

No thanks.
Why are you smarter than the coach??? Its easy to say "oh therrien sucks because he played Ryder over Gallagher or even Moen over Galchenyuk" , but i respect his decision, hes smarter than both of us and almost every coach in the league will put his experienced players on the ice to play safe. Like you said, its the playoffs, so why would you want to put pressure by putting inexperienced players and create mistakes for a hungry ottawa team to take advantage of.Your argument can go either way and its easy to say you were right and that MT is an incompetent loser when the games over. And now that they lost, you just happen to think your some genius.

TYLENOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:23 PM
  #272
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
well you don't finish this high with mediocre players!!
I believe 1/2 a season had a lot to do with us finishing "that" high.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:27 PM
  #273
Glorieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What kind of respect do you get from your players when you are the one who started this "No excuses" motto and yet keeps bringing the excuses every single ****ing day....

No excuses Therrien. You ****ing play the kids that gave you a 2-0 and maybe we get to 3-0 instead of protecting a lead for 30 ****ing minutes...
Yup.....he might be a good motivator but I think that's where it ends. There are glaring weakenesses in his coaching approach. Bring on Patrick Roy. Anyone else heard his coaching philosophies and think he would be a better choice?

Glorieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:42 PM
  #274
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.
Your phrase "half a season" is the key here. This season only was half a season, and the wheels still came off this Canadiens team around game #40. How many games have we won since then, like three? Did Therrien really do so great, or did his system have a half-season shelf life that has now expired?

I dunno. It's hard to get all that excited about it any more. I'm just numb to the inevitable elimination coming our way. Yet another year where the Canadiens go out with a whimper rather than a bang, and we try to console ourselves with "Hey we made strides this year" and "This wasn't our year, it'll be (+X) years from now." After twenty years of futility I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever find that elusive "Our year" again

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:48 PM
  #275
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry, but it will ALWAYS be how it works. Even if I'M a Q biased, I would take a guy like Lindy Ruff tomorrow morning. I would. But this is not what works here as you saw with Cunneyworth. It won't cut it. So since we can't blame the sun for rising, as we can't change that, we won't change that mentality as well. It won't happen.
Didn't say it will happen. In the end it's no longer about winning the Stanley Cup, it's about the $$.... just like it is for the Maple Leafs.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.